5d mklll grip c---p

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions
ardtullaich
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
5d mklll grip c---p
Apr 1, 2013

Bought the 5d mklll .

Wonderfull camera just missing multi spot and spot metering at all focus points.

But the grip is sh-te.

Why do they have to make the things so bulky .

Been useing the pro bodies for the last 8 years 1d's and 1ds's  so why cant they make a grip the same profile as the pro bodies why does it have to be 10mm + bigger than them.

Ok their more ergo  now and finally fit the batteries the right way round. But still they make the grip to fit a Gorilla. They don't do it with the pro bodies so why with thier grips.

I'm going to buy a chinese copy and hack the hell out of it and make my own custom grip.

There  is plenty of room in the grip to fit every thing and still some fresh air.

And why put the contacts for the power in the middle of the carriage why not at the end like the pro batteries.

Mate uses nikons and there grips are far better.

The 5d still feels like its got a brick stuck to the bottom of it.

And the Japanese have such petite hands how can they get this so wrong

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dave_bass5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,907Gear list
Like?
Re: 5d mklll grip c---p
In reply to ardtullaich, Apr 1, 2013

I agree. I've always hated the look of the grips once on cameras. I love the look of the 1D series but the others look like the grip was an after thought. There must be some way they could design it so it looks like its part of the camera.

dave_bass5's gear list:dave_bass5's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ardtullaich
Like?
In reply to dave_bass5, Apr 1, 2013

Not just the look but the feel of the camera in potrait it just feel like your detatched from the camera.

Would have bought a 1dx but wanted more pixels.

The best grips were for the film camera the eos 5 and eos 1 and my 1v they were bang on.

Theres a thought i have a couple of them grips lying round might have a play.

Skip M
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,171
Like?

The grips from the old film cameras won't even come close to working.  Contacts are all different, positioning is completely awry and so on.  I have/had grips on m A2 (EOS5) and 1n and they're nothing like the ones for the digital bodies.

I actually like the grips on the 5Ds, the lip lets me dangle the camera from my fingertips better than the 1D series bodies.  I agree they could look better integrated, but I'm less concerned with how the look than I am how they work.

-- hide signature --

Skip M
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
www.pbase.com/skipm
http://skipm.smugmug.com/
http://skipmiddletonglamourshooter.blogspot.com/
'Living in the heart of a dream, in the Promised Land!'
John Stewart

pso
pso
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,017
Like?
In reply to Skip M, Apr 1, 2013

Yeah I also find that I actually like the chunky grip (but agree it is ugly).  Without this grip, I found the camera uncomfy to hold for heavier lenses and my hand size.

-- hide signature --

Pak K So
'Enjoy your life, guy'

bigdaddave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004
Like?
I agre with you

I agree, of all the Canon grips I've used I like the genuine 5DIII one the least, it's bulky and uncomfortable.

ardtullaich wrote:

Bought the 5d mklll .

Wonderfull camera just missing multi spot and spot metering at all focus points.

But the grip is sh-te.

Why do they have to make the things so bulky .

Been useing the pro bodies for the last 8 years 1d's and 1ds's  so why cant they make a grip the same profile as the pro bodies why does it have to be 10mm + bigger than them.

Ok their more ergo  now and finally fit the batteries the right way round. But still they make the grip to fit a Gorilla. They don't do it with the pro bodies so why with thier grips.

I'm going to buy a chinese copy and hack the hell out of it and make my own custom grip.

There  is plenty of room in the grip to fit every thing and still some fresh air.

And why put the contacts for the power in the middle of the carriage why not at the end like the pro batteries.

Mate uses nikons and there grips are far better.

The 5d still feels like its got a brick stuck to the bottom of it.

And the japs have such petite hands how can they get this so wrong

Des Smock
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

Your review lost all credit when you called the makers of Canon products 'japs'. How unprofessional is that? Not to mention unkind. Really, was that necessary? I haven't come to DP Review for a while, but was disappointed to read this in my first search for reviews of the Canon 5D Mk III. Why can't people just stick to talking about photography without interjecting derogatory snipes?

ardtullaich
Like?
In reply to Des Smock, Apr 1, 2013

Derogatory is not what i was meaning neither was it a snipe and i am offened by your remark .

I have never made a racist comment in my life. So lets not get off the beaten track here and stick to the topic.

So many times in forums the original topic is lost .

The grip is still sh-te.  More so than the one they released for the 20d.

Why can't they follow the profile of the body ,they no they are going to release a grip for the camera so why dont they take that into the design.

Look at how well the eos 5 grip moulded in to the body. So it didn't have extra battery storage but you had a grip that worked great in portrait mode.

Oly Canikon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,009
Like?

Des Smock wrote:

Your review lost all credit when you called the makers of Canon products 'japs'. How unprofessional is that? Not to mention unkind. Really, was that necessary? I haven't come to DP Review for a while, but was disappointed to read this in my first search for reviews of the Canon 5D Mk III. Why can't people just stick to talking about photography without interjecting derogatory snipes?

Is calling the British "Brits" derogatory? I was just wondering because I sometimes say that. I hope they aren't offended.

Graham Meale
Senior MemberPosts: 1,076Gear list
Like?

I'm Australian and don't mind a bit if you call me an Aussie.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
andyus08
Regular MemberPosts: 185
Like?
In reply to ardtullaich, Apr 2, 2013

Agree.

I have 10D with grip which looks bulky. Now i have 5D II with grip and i think the grip is not a great design. However, i want grip because i want to have shutter button on vertical and i'm more comfortable to shoot that way.

I still like the way grip built in 1Ds III. I also have film camera EOS 3 with power pack attached. I like it the best.

Phil Hill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?
In reply to dave_bass5, Apr 2, 2013

dave_bass5 wrote:

I love the look of the 1D series but the others look like the grip was an after thought.

Well, the grips really are afterthoughts.  For those that want a built-in grip there are the 1-series models.  Seems logical to me.

schmegg
schmegg MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,119
Like?
Re: 5d mklll grip not good
In reply to ardtullaich, Apr 2, 2013

ardtullaich wrote:

Derogatory is not what i was meaning neither was it a snipe and i am offened by your remark .

I have never made a racist comment in my life. So lets not get off the beaten track here and stick to the topic.

So many times in forums the original topic is lost .

The grip is still sh-te.  More so than the one they released for the 20d.

Why can't they follow the profile of the body ,they no they are going to release a grip for the camera so why dont they take that into the design.

Look at how well the eos 5 grip moulded in to the body. So it didn't have extra battery storage but you had a grip that worked great in portrait mode.

Note from the moderator ...

Avoiding the profanity filter is against the forum rules.

Yeah - I know. But the rule is there because it is a public forum and a level of civility is expected. And for me to even attempt any type of consistency, even mild 'abuses' like this deserve at least some attention.

So please - no more!

If you don't like something - say it's not good, or it could be better, or similar. But don't turn to profanity or avoidance of the filter to make your point - it's really not only unnecessary, but against the rules.

schmegg
schmegg MOD
Like?
In reply to Des Smock, Apr 2, 2013

Des Smock wrote:

Yes - racist comments are also not allowed.

In this case though, I don't think there's really much wrong. Perhaps the use of that word was a little ill-conceived, but there doesn't seem to be any underlying denigration in the comment and it seems to be meant simply be an abbreviation of the full word to me - much like Aussies for Australians or Yanks for North Americans or Poms for the good people of England.

I have noticed thought that the use of these words seems to vary in acceptability from place to place around the world - and here in Australia we a pretty 'easy going' with nicknames like those. We use them as much as a term of endearment as anything else TBH. Not meant to be derogatory in any way. So, that's how I'm approaching it.

If my fellow moderator, who is from a different country, disagrees then he is welcome to act differently!

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,760
Like?
As seen
In reply to schmegg, Apr 2, 2013

schmegg wrote:

Des Smock wrote:

In this case though, I don't think there's really much wrong. Perhaps the use of that word was a little ill-conceived, but there doesn't seem to be any underlying denigration in the comment and it seems to be meant simply be an abbreviation of the full word to me - much like Aussies for Australians or Yanks for North Americans or Poms for the good people of England.

I have noticed thought that the use of these words seems to vary in acceptability from place to place around the world - and here in Australia we a pretty 'easy going' with nicknames like those. We use them as much as a term of endearment as anything else TBH. Not meant to be derogatory in any way. So, that's how I'm approaching it.

If my fellow moderator, who is from a different country, disagrees then he is welcome to act differently!

Where I live it is indeed considered derogatory. My Japanese relatives and friends all consider it's use in this case as derogatory or a slur... but that does not necessarily match the OP's intent. With that it mind. I'll edit it and he should feel that is OK. He, after all, said he never meant it as it's being seen.

Seen like this

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

schmegg
schmegg MOD
Like?
Re: As seen
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 2, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Des Smock wrote:

Where I live it is indeed considered derogatory. My Japanese relatives and friends all consider it's use in this case as derogatory or a slur... but that does not necessarily match the OP's intent. With that it mind. I'll edit it and he should feel that is OK. He, after all, said he never meant it as it's being seen.

Seen like this

Thanks Mako - I had a feeling this might be one of those 'regional' issues!

I now hope that Yanks and Poms aren't also peeved with me! Hehe!

Maybe you'll need to give me a warning too!

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
Re: As seen
In reply to schmegg, Apr 2, 2013

schmegg wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Des Smock wrote:

Seen like this

Thanks Mako - I had a feeling this might be one of those 'regional' issues!

I now hope that Yanks and Poms aren't also peeved with me! Hehe!

Maybe you'll need to give me a warning too!

Wow...I learn stuff everyday here. Had to look up "Poms" Never heard that before.

Did I ever tell you how horrible I think text only communication can be. Guess that's why "thumbs down had to go"  And I liked it too

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

tocar
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,168
Like?
In reply to Des Smock, Apr 2, 2013

I didn't see the word used in a degaratory way.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
Some
In reply to tocar, Apr 2, 2013

tocar wrote:

I didn't see the word used in a degaratory way.

Some did. Fixed now and many a new thing was learned. That makes it a great thread.

-- hide signature --

ardtullaich
Like?
Re: Some
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 2, 2013

So the next time some won calls me a pom,Pommy,Tommy, Inselaffenor a brit i should take offence?

And now the hole thread has got lost because of 4 letter abbreviation.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads