Sigma 35 f/1.4 and 5D Mk III?

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions
pso
pso
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,017
Like?
Sigma 35 f/1.4 and 5D Mk III?
Apr 1, 2013

Hi all - Wondering if anyone has this combo and your opinions on how the lens performs with this camera.

Also, how do you find the autofocus (speed, accuracy)?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Pak K So
'Enjoy your life, guy'

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bhollis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,567Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 35 f/1.4 and 5D Mk III?
In reply to pso, Apr 1, 2013

pso wrote:

Hi all - Wondering if anyone has this combo and your opinions on how the lens performs with this camera.

You might find this thread of interest.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51145082

bhollis's gear list:bhollis's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
arnie1
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?

pso wrote:

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Pak K So
'Enjoy your life, guy'

I have this exact combo and it is as good as it gets. The lens performs beautifully and is very accurate at all distances. Couldn’t be happier

pso
pso
Like?
In reply to bhollis, Apr 1, 2013

Thanks, believe it or not I did search and did not find anything useful.  I will look at the post.

-- hide signature --

Pak K So
'Enjoy your life, guy'

pso
pso
Like?
In reply to arnie1, Apr 1, 2013

Thanks arnie...I am very tempted : )

-- hide signature --

Pak K So
'Enjoy your life, guy'

Collett
Senior MemberPosts: 4,982
Like?

pso wrote:

Great combo.  I would highly recommend the Sigma 35F1.4Art.

I find it to be on par with my Canon primes in terms of AF speed, and actually the focus accuracy has been better with the Sigma 35 than with my 50L because I have been having problems with inconsistent focus on the outer points with that lens and not others. No problems or issues with the Sigma whatsoever.  Here are a few shots.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Pak K So
'Enjoy your life, guy'

-- hide signature --

Jim

pso
pso
Like?
In reply to Collett, Apr 2, 2013

Thanks Collett for the input and excellent samples as well.  I think I am gonna go for it.

-- hide signature --

Pak K So
'Enjoy your life, guy'

Collett
Senior MemberPosts: 4,982
Like?
In reply to pso, Apr 2, 2013

pso wrote:

Thanks Collett for the input and excellent samples as well.  I think I am gonna go for it.

Sure thing.  Did I mention how sharp the lens is wide open? You are not going to find anything better at F1.4.

-- hide signature --

Pak K So
'Enjoy your life, guy'

-- hide signature --

Jim

pso
pso
Like?
In reply to Collett, Apr 2, 2013

I am excited for sure for the sharpness boost...my biggest fear is the autofocus from the Sigma.  I have read a small handful of mixed reviews about this (not many)...knowing my luck, I'd get one of the problematic ones.

-- hide signature --

Pak K So
'Enjoy your life, guy'

ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 896Gear list
Like?
In reply to pso, Apr 2, 2013

pso wrote:

I am excited for sure for the sharpness boost...my biggest fear is the autofocus from the Sigma.  I have read a small handful of mixed reviews about this (not many)...knowing my luck, I'd get one of the problematic ones.

There is a huge difference in Sigma lenses in the last year or so.  Starting with the 85 f1.4 and current 120-300 f2.8 HSM OS through the new current line up releases they seem to have solved many of their focus issues as well as QC issues.

While not being OEM lenses, Sigma is certainly stepping up to put themselves to the front of the line on third party lenses and with the 35 f1.4 they have put themselves at the head of the pack for OEM or third party offerings.  That is pretty impressive at 1/2 to 1/3 less than the OEM offerings.

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
millan
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
In reply to ScottD1964, Apr 3, 2013

I was deciding between this lens and Canon EF 35 mm f/2 IS USM and was biased against Sigma after bad opinion from the past. But this lens totally blowed me away! No FF/BF focus issues, exeprionally sharpness wide open and nice bokeh. I absolutely love this lens!

5D Mk III + Sigma 35mm f/1.4 HSM, f2.0

5D Mk III + Sigma 35 mm f/1.4 HSM, f1.4

onechobeach
Regular MemberPosts: 195
Like?
In reply to millan, Apr 14, 2013

Been considering this lens and has been hesitant because of the lack of weather sealing.

Had been considering the Canon but that has no weather sealing either.

We have lots of bad weather here in the north of England and likes shooting out in all weathers.

Has been waiting for a Canon 35mm F1.4 mk 11 but that is likely to cost a huge sum of money.

Considers because the reviews of the Sigma have been superb.

MadManAce
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?
In reply to onechobeach, Apr 14, 2013

I do not mean to hijack this thread but I am searching for a good copy of this lens.  I know it exists because I rented one from LensRentals.com and it was excellent.  I am running a poll on Fred Miranda / Canon trying to see if others have had better luck.  Maybe the recent batch was hurried to meet demand; but after three duds in a row, I am now considering the more expensive and optically weaker Canon.

MadManAce's gear list:MadManAce's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
ThatsTheShot
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
In reply to pso, Apr 18, 2013

pso wrote:

-- hide signature --

Pak K So
'Enjoy your life, guy'

I don't own this lens but was interested in it's performance, I did a search on Google and also found some small report on it's focusing irregularities.  Let's hope this has been addressed/fixed by now.

-- hide signature --
 ThatsTheShot's gear list:ThatsTheShot's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus PEN E-P5 +23 more
rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,130
Like?
Don't forget "docking station"
In reply to ThatsTheShot, Apr 18, 2013

Don't forget the docking station which should be out soon, or is out now, to allow you to make adjustments to the lenses software.

-- hide signature --

Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

ThatsTheShot
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't forget "docking station"
In reply to rsn48, Apr 18, 2013

rsn48 wrote:

Don't forget the docking station which should be out soon, or is out now, to allow you to make adjustments to the lenses software.

-- hide signature --

Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

Good point, that's very interesting capability, would be interesting to see the outcome.

-- hide signature --
 ThatsTheShot's gear list:ThatsTheShot's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus PEN E-P5 +23 more
Daniel
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
In reply to MadManAce, Apr 19, 2013

I got mine a week ago.  It arrived with front focusing issue.. have to adjust with +13 focus alignment in my Canon 5D mk 3.

Got some climbing pics from last weekend, all shots at F1.4:

Daniel

MadManAce
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daniel, Apr 20, 2013

Daniel wrote:

I got mine a week ago.  It arrived with front focusing issue.. have to adjust with +13 focus alignment in my Canon 5D mk 3.

Hey Daniel,

Have you noticed any difference with you +13 focus alignment when shot in different lighting than from when you calibrated?  I have tried four Sigma 35mm lenses and all needed significant AF adjustments but when the light (WB) changed the results were unreliable.  I really wanted the Sigma to work but I was forced to buy the Canon 35L and forever I will know that I paid more for an optically inferior lens, but for me focus always takes top priority.

MadManAce's gear list:MadManAce's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
The Photo Ninja
Senior MemberPosts: 1,654
Like?
It should be free!
In reply to rsn48, Apr 21, 2013

I shouldn't have to pay to update the lens firmware.  What a load of crock!  Btw, just got this lens two days ago.  Good so far, but it did cause my camera to lock up and I had to remove the battery after about 40 shots.  I've taken a hundred since then with no issue.  Sharpness at 1.4 is good and at f/4 exceptional.

Daniel
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
In reply to MadManAce, Apr 22, 2013

MadManAce wrote:

Daniel wrote:

Hey Daniel,

Have you noticed any difference with you +13 focus alignment when shot in different lighting than from when you calibrated?  I have tried four Sigma 35mm lenses and all needed significant AF adjustments but when the light (WB) changed the results were unreliable.  I really wanted the Sigma to work but I was forced to buy the Canon 35L and forever I will know that I paid more for an optically inferior lens, but for me focus always takes top priority.

Focus is constant in different lighting.  I only time I noticed that focus is not constant is if I set to Single-point Spot AF when testing on tripod with cable shutter release.  However all other AF selection are ok, even Single-point AF.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads