X100s OVF frame lines accuracy

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions
Lakeview Man
Regular MemberPosts: 252Gear list
Like?
X100s OVF frame lines accuracy
Apr 1, 2013

Hi all,

feeling a bit of Gear Acquisition Syndrom these days because I'm tired of waiting for the XF23mm for my X-pro1. So, what do I want? A second camera body! - with a 23mm - easy solution = the X100s I will miss out on the f/1.4, but I will get a second camera.

Now, with my 35mm fixed on my X-pro1 for many situations I find that I use the EVF just because the frame lines in the OVF is not as accurate as I'd like them to be.

How accurate are the frame lines on the X100s? Can you compose your picture without doing any cropping i post process?

-- hide signature --
 Lakeview Man's gear list:Lakeview Man's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +10 more
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,707Gear list
Like?
Re: X100s OVF frame lines accuracy
In reply to Lakeview Man, Apr 1, 2013

Short answer is 'no'. Long answer, with some.. very little.. experience, this isn't an issue.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Oger
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

I had this problem with the X100 as well.

Not accurate at all. Switch to EVF for critical compositions.

Lakeview Man
Regular MemberPosts: 252Gear list
Like?

Thanks,

For critical framing, I guess I can live with that.

But does anyone know if the frame lines are more or less accurate than the X-pro1/XE-1 with the 35mm on?

-- hide signature --
 Lakeview Man's gear list:Lakeview Man's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +10 more
wchutt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,295Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lakeview Man, Apr 2, 2013

The Fuji X OVF framelines are only estimates. This situation is similar to what you will experience with cameras using mechanical OVF rangefinders.  Some analog rangefinders make better estimates than the Fuji and some don't.

With regard to composition the advantage of  the OVF is you can see what's outside of the frame. The disadvantage is the frame is just an estimate.

I use the OVF as much as possible and switch to the EVF when framing is critical, the subject is closer than about 6 ft or when AF  region accuracy is important.

wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +20 more
N_Architect
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
In reply to wchutt, Apr 2, 2013

Reading this thread, brings up a question in mind: I have the X-Pro1 and the X100S, used them little so far.

When I work with the OVF on, I notice (in both cameras) that pressing the shutter button half-way through, in order to focus and then recompose, the frame lines (the whole frame 'box' inside the OVF) moves right and down (i.e. south, south-east).

This makes framing so difficult. Is it normal, or is there something I can do to change it?

N_Architect's gear list:N_Architect's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Olympus E-1 Samsung NX10 +23 more
nubsimo
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to N_Architect, Apr 2, 2013

N_Architect wrote:

Reading this thread, brings up a question in mind: I have the X-Pro1 and the X100S, used them little so far.

When I work with the OVF on, I notice (in both cameras) that pressing the shutter button half-way through, in order to focus and then recompose, the frame lines (the whole frame 'box' inside the OVF) moves right and down (i.e. south, south-east).

This makes framing so difficult. Is it normal, or is there something I can do to change it?

This has to be, to correct the parallax error between the OVF and the lens. The moved framelines are about to show you the final frame, that will be captured based on the distance between camera and subject. You can still compose right by using the additional centered focus point... Its a feature, not a bug.

N_Architect
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?
In reply to nubsimo, Apr 2, 2013

Well noted, many thanks.

Did not get fully what you described by using the "...additionally centered focus point..." but I'll take a look at the manual (user guide) plus will read more here so then hopefully I'll be able to practice and get it right.

N_Architect's gear list:N_Architect's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Olympus E-1 Samsung NX10 +23 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,947Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lakeview Man, Apr 2, 2013

My estimation for my X100 is 85%

With 35mm and XP1 there is still an uncorrected issue, the 18mm and 60mm being all both also 85%

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads