So I finally got a 75mm

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions
Louis_Dobson
Forum ProPosts: 26,390
Like?
So I finally got a 75mm
Apr 1, 2013

Been too busy to use it, but we snatched this before I flew off to work...
Nice lens.  Happy.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/acam
http://thegentlemansnapper.blogspot.com

P S
P S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,309Gear list
Like?
Re: So I finally got a 75mm
In reply to Louis_Dobson, Apr 1, 2013

Nice portrait! I wonder how it compares with the 45 mm/f1.8 as far as for portrait taking is concerned. The 45 mm is so much cheaper. Here is one I took with the 45 mm (EM5, ISO 200, 1/100 sec., f/1.8).

-- hide signature --

PS

P S's gear list:P S's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
James Pilcher
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,724Gear list
Like?
working distance

Although many folks like the Zuiko 45 f/1.8 for its small size and easy price, I appreciate the working distance that the 75mm offers; even the 45mm is a bit of an in-your-face lens for this kind of portrait.

I look forward to more of your 75mm images.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Been too busy to use it, but we snatched this before I flew off to work...
Nice lens.  Happy.

-- hide signature --

James Pilcher's gear list:James Pilcher's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to P S, Apr 1, 2013

I don't think anyone should be considering a 75 for portraits before a 45.  The 75 has shallower DoF, less CA, forces you to move further away and costs a fortune.  
However, if you have a 45 and sometimes want shallower DoF, or you want a fast shortish tele, and don't mind the price, it seems pretty good so far.

-- hide signature --

Louis_Dobson
Like?
Re: working distance
In reply to James Pilcher, Apr 1, 2013

Thanks.  Yeah, but it's a bit long for anything but portraits.
I've lost all my models these days, so I doubt I'll be using this lens a lot - hence the not buying it at launch.   I'm sure I'll enjoy it when I use it though!

-- hide signature --

Louis_Dobson
Like?
and again.

For completeness, the other one...

-- hide signature --

BingoCharlie
Contributing MemberPosts: 849
Like?
Re: and again.

I'm renting this lens in a couple of weeks.  Looking forward to putting it through its paces.  Nice shots.

Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,623Gear list
Like?

The DOF is so shallow that most of her face is out of focus.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
G1Houston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,207Gear list
Like?
The main issue for using the 45 up close is perspective distortion
In reply to James Pilcher, Apr 1, 2013

James Pilcher wrote:

Although many folks like the Zuiko 45 f/1.8 for its small size and easy price, I appreciate the working distance that the 75mm offers; even the 45mm is a bit of an in-your-face lens for this kind of portrait.

45mm after all is a bit short for head shot, although its FF eq FOV is 90mm.  With a "real" 90mm lens, you can shoot farther away, which reduces if not eliminates perspective distortion (nose and cheek bigger than normal).  For the 45/1.8, a head and shoulder shot is probably the closest you can get.

G1Houston's gear list:G1Houston's gear list
Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
FoolyCooly
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,458Gear list
Like?

These two samples look great. I've been thinking about the 75mm f1.8 and the SLR Magic Noktor 50mm f0.95 for portraits.

How would you rate the AF with the 75mm?

Any chance you could share some outdoor half and full body shots?

FoolyCooly's gear list:FoolyCooly's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EOS 6D
Neurad1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,057Gear list
Like?

Haven't used my 75mm as much as I'd hoped. I need to force myself to use it more to get a feel for the distance I must anticipate to frame candid shots. I always seem to find myself too close. Here is one ok shot I got of a colorful guy. Does anyone know why EXIF data no longer posts?

Plaid shirt. Kentuck Arts Festival, Northport, AL

Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +30 more
Louis_Dobson
Like?
Re: The main issue for using the 45 up close is perspective distortion
In reply to G1Houston, Apr 1, 2013

Eh?  As far as I am concerned a 45mm f1.8 on MFT should behave exactly like a 90mm f3.6 on FF.  And that's OK, but not always shallow enough, hence the 75mm f1.8, which is a 135 f3.6, which is shallow as anyone needs to go.

G1Houston wrote:

James Pilcher wrote:

45mm after all is a bit short for head shot, although its FF eq FOV is 90mm.  With a "real" 90mm lens, you can shoot farther away, which reduces if not eliminates perspective distortion (nose and cheek bigger than normal).  For the 45/1.8, a head and shoulder shot is probably the closest you can get.

-- hide signature --

Louis_Dobson
Like?
Not at all.
In reply to Ulric, Apr 1, 2013

In fact, nonsense.  Quite the reverse, her face is so sharp that I've had to put a great blast of NR over the skin to remove the 17 year old's imperfections.
What is it with this terrible fear of shallow DoF? Do people seriously imagine that if they complain ever shot at a wide aperture is "too shallow" that nobody will ever want an FF camera again?
The 75 has a more or less idea DoF/size ratio for most people.  You can easily take out the background (these were shot in a rainstorm, in an ice cream parlour, by the beach, while we wondered what to do next, so the backgrounds are horrid) perfectly well, but the lens and camera can be fitted in two pockets.  
Meantime, have  a nice shallow DoF shot.

-- hide signature --

Louis_Dobson
Like?
In reply to FoolyCooly, Apr 1, 2013

I haven't had a chance to use it in anger yet!

-- hide signature --

Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,947
Like?
Please!

Too tempting.

No I won't. Yes I will. No, yes, no, yes...

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,478Gear list
Like?
Re: I like better this picture.

Louis_Dobson wrote:

For completeness, the other one...

I like better this picture than the one on the first post. Well taken.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?

Louis_Dobson wrote:

I don't think anyone should be considering a 75 for portraits before a 45.  The 75 has shallower DoF, less CA, forces you to move further away and costs a fortune.  
However, if you have a 45 and sometimes want shallower DoF, or you want a fast shortish tele, and don't mind the price, it seems pretty good so far.

-- hide signature --

Its a good portrait.

I`ve been very tempted by the 75mm, but I`d probably wait to see what this new Sigma 60mm will be like, read it should be available for about £180.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,861Gear list
Like?
Re: The main issue for using the 45 up close is perspective distortion

Louis_Dobson wrote:

Eh?  As far as I am concerned a 45mm f1.8 on MFT should behave exactly like a 90mm f3.6 on FF.  And that's OK, but not always shallow enough, hence the 75mm f1.8, which is a 135 f3.6, which is shallow as anyone needs to go.

I'd have said 150. YMMV.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
James Pilcher
Like?
a different perspective
In reply to G1Houston, Apr 1, 2013

G1Houston wrote:

James Pilcher wrote:

What??? It is camera position that determines perspective, not focal length.

A 45mm lens on a 4/3 body will give exactly the same perspective as a 90mm lens on an FX body when shot from the same distance. In fact, a 20mm lens on a Nikon D600, shot from the same distance (camera position) as the 45mm lens on an OM-D, then cropped for that 45mm's FOV will give you exactly the same perspective. No stretched nose, no bulging cheek. Really.

Yes, if you step forward with your D600 + 20mm in order to fill the frame in the same way the E-M5 + 45mm does, you will get a stretched nose and a bulging cheek, but you have changed camera position! It is camera position that determines perspective, not focal length.

Jim Pilcher

Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 +8 more
James Pilcher
Like?
people fear what they do not understand
In reply to Ulric, Apr 1, 2013

Ulric wrote:

The DOF is so shallow that most of her face is out of focus.

In my years with digital I've seen many wanna-be photographers deride those who like to work with shallow DOF. It is especially true here in m4/3-Land. It was less so on the pure 4/3 forum. I think it has something to do with people moving up from tiny-sensored P&S cameras to m4/3. I'm flabbergasted by how common it is for people to bemoan how difficult it is to get everything in focus. Obviously they are thinking that if everything is in focus, the entire issue of DOF goes away and they don't have to worry their little P&S brains about the concept.

I like shallow DOF and I use it when appropriate. I also like deep DOF when needed.

By the way, Louis' portrait is just fine. There is not too little DOF. It's a fine image.

Jim Pilcher

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads