Pentax new cameras with Silkypix software only?

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions
Soaptrail
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Pentax new cameras with Silkypix software only?
Apr 1, 2013

After having an *st DL, K100D Super, K-r and now the K-30 for two weeks i am slightly frustrated with Pentax's software.  I know the original Pentax software was weak but version 4 was pretty good and easy to use.  My K-30 came with Silkypix instead of the Pentax Photo Browser and Photo Lab.

1. I cannot find a way to export the preview file from RAW files is it possible with Silkypix?

2. I can at least still pull preview files from Pentax Photo Lab, but I cannot do any editing of K-30 photos in this software.  So is the only way i can now change the mode i.e. natural to muted through the camera? I do not see an option Silkypix to play with these settings.  Pentax Photo Lab always let me do it on my other cameras but apparently cannot recognize my new K-30 RAW files.

I love my K-30 but wish i could still use Photo Lab with my camera.

Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-30 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,876
Like?
Re: Pentax new cameras with Silkypix software only?
In reply to Soaptrail, Apr 1, 2013

There is a Version 3.0.0.8 update for SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 for PENTAX. It is for PENTAX Q, PENTAX Q10, and K-01 / K-30.

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/download_digital.html

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,197Gear list
Like?

I've used Pentax software through the K100DS, K20D and K-x. I'm very comfortable with it and I can work quickly, although cropping is clumsy. As long as one understands the camera menus, the DCU4 interface is simple to use. I tried the Silkypix software supplied with my K-01, but the interface is completely unintelligle and non-intuitive to me. I deleted it from my computer and bought Lightroom 4.

I've tried LR3, CS3 and Elements 8 in the past. I didn't like the menus and the results didn't match the Pentax raw conversions. But LR4 really got it right, the menus make sense, the program is very powerful and the price is a bargain. The conversions look as good to me as DCU4, in fact I'm getting better results in LR4 for photos that need highlight and shadow adjustments.

I refuse to re-learn the manufacturer's program for every new camera I buy, and with Lightroom that will not be the case. I can use it no matter what the brand or model number of the camera. I was a big fan of Pentax software, but LR4 has won me over. I can work a lot faster in DCU4, but I'm already getting better results with LR4, and it's only been a couple of months. Check out the free trial and see for yourself.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
T Evergreen
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?

This same issue you describe affects the K-01 as well. Like you, I would have preferred using Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4.  I find the SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0 that's supplied with the K-01 to be about useless.

JoeDaBassPlayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583
Like?

I have tried the supplied software with the K2000 and K 01. The K 01 DNG files work much better in PS or PSE than the supplied software. Get the newest version of PSE, shoot RAW and develop the files through batch processing. You will get much better results without the headaches.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,628Gear list
Like?

Hi,

Your Lightroom4 comes with what version of  Camare RAW?

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,397Gear list
Like?

Hummm, you seem very inexperienced in the use of the computer in general, in which case, it is understandably difficult to figure things out.  SPix is no more difficult to use as any other software, though it does have a somewhat different user interface I will concede, which may seem confusing to some at first.  I for one felt the exact same was as you did with Lightroom 4, and my first attempt to using this software was... what a piece of junk, can't even figure out how to open a photo, never mind editing it !  It took me spending several hours going through tutorials to "get it" and appreciate its capabilities.  The same can be said about Silkypix (which I love by the way).

In Silkypix you dont' "export" to JPEG, you "develop" the images, which is done by clicking on the "gear icon".  You can also batch process a number of images if you wish.  You don't apply camera settings, you alter colors, contrast, WB, sharpness etc.  Once you get the hang of SPix it is actually extremely simple to use and has the widest support to cameras on the market.  It does not have some of the advanced functions of LR4, but at least, unlike LR4, it does not create post processing artifacts either, which was my biggest disappointment with LR4.  I learned to like LR4's more advanced processing functions, but couldn't live with the way it eventually deteriorates the IQ when using them.

-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,368
Like?

The earlier versions of "Pentax" software were made by Silkypix. What has happened is that Silkypix has gone the way of other software producers, giving their product a minimalist interface. This makes it harder to use.

Joe

Soaptrail
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Apr 1, 2013

Can LR4 pull out the preview JPEG like DCU4?  I still use DCU4 just to get the preview file out.

Sorry in my original post i was calling DCU4 by the ver 3 name PENTAX PHOTO Browser/Laboratory.

Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,113Gear list
Like?

Soaptrail wrote:

Can LR4 pull out the preview JPEG like DCU4?  I still use DCU4 just to get the preview file out.

Sorry in my original post i was calling DCU4 by the ver 3 name PENTAX PHOTO Browser/Laboratory.

You can get LR4 to update the JPEG preview of the DNG file based on the raw conversion settings. Select the image(s), and choose 'Update DNG Preview and Metadata'.

But in any case it's trivially simple to batch generate a whole set of JPEGs to any size, sharpness, quality, colour space, etc... so unless you have particular need for the preview, you won't need to go to all the extra trouble.

-- hide signature --
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,197Gear list
Like?

Soaptrail wrote:

I believe you mean the "Extract jpeg" feature? The extracted jpeg looks just like the original file, but is highly compressed compared to a regular converted jpeg. I don't think LR4 does this in exactly the same way, but you should be able to set it up. I'm not really the right guy to ask, I'm a LR  newbie.

I actually didn't know that DCU4 extract jpeg worked with the K-01. I've already used this feature, thanks for the tip.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads