HX300 vs HS50 vs FZ200 w/ TC 1200mm vs 1000mm vs 1020mm?

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,448
Like?
HX300 vs HS50 vs FZ200 w/ TC 1200mm vs 1000mm vs 1020mm?
Apr 1, 2013

Don't shoot me all's I did was sit them on the tripod and shoot...HS50 is THE best handling UI of the lot, quality made cam with tight lens...AF is great...HX300 is the worst Superzoom of all times I tried every known setting to get one sharp shot at 1200mm...makes more noise than my chain saw...even mor than the infamous FZ100...

I went through several sets of shots and picked the best photos from HS50 and FZ200...the corners on the HS50 are better somewhat...HX300 is russian roulette to even pick one shot...

You will have view originals here to much of a pain to upload and link to FlickR..

FZ200 TC - HS50 - HX300

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,212
Like?
Re: HX300 vs HS50 vs FZ200 w/ TC 1200mm vs 1000mm vs 1020mm?
In reply to LTZ470, Apr 1, 2013

Is the FZ wide open? You've removed the data in the exif!

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LTZ470
Like?
In reply to PAUL TILL, Apr 1, 2013

PAUL TILL wrote:

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

F/4 Paul...you should be able to see it at Smugmug can you not?...select the photo you want to view on Smugmug...select the little Blue Box with the "I" in it and the Basic and Detailed EXIF should come up...

Theres no doubt in RAw that the HS50 is going to do very well...I could not get the jpegs to sharpen anymore, these are with Sharpness at Max and NR to Lowest...

The HS50 is a VERY nice camera, well made and well laid out...Fuji did a very decent job with it I have to admit...you can't help but like it when using it...I hate to admit it but Joms is right on the handling

I tried the Focus Peaking and it is implemented a little quirky as the Focus Ring is a bit sloppy, but they are getting there...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?

Wow very nice toyz for comparison Cole. I am only interested on the FZ vs HS comparison and from a quick glance of the original (replaced the X3 with O) then resize down the HS50 to match the 12MP of FZ, about same sharpness and HS50 somewhat better on the edges and cleaner too. I will carefully look again later. Thanks for posting these - you are the man!

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
PAUL TILL
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

F/4 Paul...you should be able to see it at Smugmug can you not?...select the photo you want to view on Smugmug...select the little Blue Box with the "I" in it and the Basic and Detailed EXIF should come up...

Theres no doubt in RAw that the HS50 is going to do very well...I could not get the jpegs to sharpen anymore, these are with Sharpness at Max and NR to Lowest...

The HS50 is a VERY nice camera, well made and well laid out...Fuji did a very decent job with it I have to admit...you can't help but like it when using it...I hate to admit it but Joms is right on the handling

I tried the Focus Peaking and it is implemented a little quirky as the Focus Ring is a bit sloppy, but they are getting there...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

If only they'd put the EVF from the X-S1 on it.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?

PAUL TILL wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

If only they'd put the EVF from the X-S1 on it.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

I bought a DK-20 eyecup and it should make the EVF of the HS50 a better peephole lol.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
LTZ470
Like?

Actually the EVF worked very well...the Sony's EVF is $hite...FZ200's has good clarity as well...

To be honest I liked the HS50 much better than the X-S1, everything was very tight on the HS50 and very functional...EXCEPT for Manual Focus Ring...

Love the lever on the side with S-C-M Focus and the button in the middle for actuation of magnification for Focus Peaking really nice touch...

The Control Layout and UI is nice and user friendly...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,522Gear list
Like?
My Obervations

My observations going by the substation box image from each cam ..

Image 8751 from HX300 Processing looks OK but the  image is the victim of a very poor lens or misfocus (Halation all over the place), 8851 has taken on a horrible leathery effect though it looks optically better, both are lousy

The FZ200 looks Excellent . Period but its only 12Mp and of course the cam needed a very expensive and cumbersome TC to match the reach (also a pain to remove when you want to zoom back)

The HS50 isn`t as good (even resized to 12Mp) , it`s taken on that "Upsized 6Mp" look the 1/2" EXR sensors suffer from (the mushy detail and jaggies)  but it`s a lot better than the Sony

is there an ideal compromise here ? - mounting and dismounting a TC on the FZ is a pain - the HX300 is awful at the long end - the sensor in the HS50 isn`t very good (as Dave and Kim have found) but it`s the most practical solution of these three

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Samsung NX210
PAUL TILL
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Actually the EVF worked very well...the Sony's EVF is $hite...FZ200's has good clarity as well...

To be honest I liked the HS50 much better than the X-S1, everything was very tight on the HS50 and very functional...EXCEPT for Manual Focus Ring...

Love the lever on the side with S-C-M Focus and the button in the middle for actuation of magnification for Focus Peaking really nice touch...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

You've gone peaking mad just lately, would you even use it on a bridge camera for anything but macro work?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

PAUL TILL
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

I prefer the FZ shots, the OOF area looks nicer, but maybe that's just me. Is it that because of that beautiful Nikon TC screwed on the front?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

LTZ470
Like?

PAUL TILL wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

You've gone peaking mad just lately, would you even use it on a bridge camera for anything but macro work?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

Yep, I fully agree…completely mad…lol…it sure is fun with everyone thinking your crazy though!

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

LTZ470
Like?

PAUL TILL wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

PAUL TILL wrote:

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

I prefer the FZ shots, the OOF area looks nicer, but maybe that's just me. Is it that because of that beautiful Nikon TC screwed on the front?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

the f/2.8 lens was a brilliant idea by Panasonic…caught everyone off guard…the large apertures help bokeh anyway we look at it...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

LTZ470
Like?
Re: My Obervations
In reply to AdamT, Apr 1, 2013

AdamT wrote:

My observations going by the substation box image from each cam ..

Image 8751 from HX300 Processing looks OK but the  image is the victim of a very poor lens or misfocus (Halation all over the place), 8851 has taken on a horrible leathery effect though it looks optically better, both are lousy

The FZ200 looks Excellent . Period but its only 12Mp and of course the cam needed a very expensive and cumbersome TC to match the reach (also a pain to remove when you want to zoom back)

The HS50 isn`t as good (even resized to 12Mp) , it`s taken on that "Upsized 6Mp" look the 1/2" EXR sensors suffer from (the mushy detail and jaggies)  but it`s a lot better than the Sony

is there an ideal compromise here ? - mounting and dismounting a TC on the FZ is a pain - the HX300 is awful at the long end - the sensor in the HS50 isn`t very good (as Dave and Kim have found) but it`s the most practical solution of these three

-- hide signature --

I carry two FZ's one with TC-E17ED and one with Canon 500D attached…for everything in between I would just take EM5 12-35 and 35-100…Landscapes still working with Nex-7 10-18 vs Nikon Coolpix A…Indoors and lowlight RX1….discreet formal dinners RX100...

How am I doing?

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

MissingLinkie
Regular MemberPosts: 397Gear list
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Don't shoot me all's I did was sit them on the tripod and shoot...HS50 is THE best handling UI of the lot, quality made cam with tight lens...AF is great...HX300 is the worst Superzoom of all times I tried every known setting to get one sharp shot at 1200mm...makes more noise than my chain saw...even mor than the infamous FZ100...

I went through several sets of shots and picked the best photos from HS50 and FZ200...the corners on the HS50 are better somewhat...HX300 is russian roulette to even pick one shot...

You will have view originals here to much of a pain to upload and link to FlickR..

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Hi Cole,

if i look at the pics closer, i can see that the focus from the FZ200 is "more" to the front..  the plant (L) is sharper than the box.

Is that because if the aperture? (DOF) or a focussing off-set from the FZ200/Nikon1.7x ?

-- hide signature --

This is just my RAW avatar....

LTZ470
Like?
In reply to MissingLinkie, Apr 1, 2013

MissingLinkie wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Hi Cole,

if i look at the pics closer, i can see that the focus from the FZ200 is "more" to the front..  the plant (L) is sharper than the box.

Is that because if the aperture? (DOF) or a focussing off-set from the FZ200/Nikon1.7x ?

-- hide signature --

This is just my RAW avatar....

The lens and the TC, they are awesome together at f/4, but the cornes can get blurry at times...the Spot Focus Point was on the large sticker/tag in front of box...

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

AdamT
Like?

I carry two FZ's one with TC-E17ED and one with Canon 500D attached…for everything in between I would just take EM5 12-35 and 35-100…Landscapes still working with Nex-7 10-18 vs Nikon Coolpix A…Indoors and lowlight RX1….discreet formal dinners RX100...

How am I doing?

You`re doing OK ..... I`m back to the trusty S6500FD Bridgecam wise, the IQ is still as good as always (it`s WYSIWYG, no faking anything with software) and even better with the 500D on for 300mm bug macros

BTW I`ve sent the SX50 to a dealer for commission sale ..  the IQ is the best of the pinhead megazooms by a notable margin (at ALL ISOs and all focal lengths) but the lens gets very slow very quickly and the state of the art IS of course doesn`t stop action, it`s the slowness at short to medium focal lengths more than the F6.3 at 1200 which bothered me - also the handling didn`t induce me to pick it up neither did its reluctance in doing telemacros for bugs etc (prefer the Legendary S6500FD for this) ..

I`ll get an XS1 when I can find a De-Orbed one at a sensible price. looks like it`s the ideal 6500/S100FS replacement

The old S6500 Crudely upsized to 16Mp in Irfanview --------- Looks better than the HS50 to me - better defined detail and less noise/NR artifacts . full zoom examples are even better

-- hide signature --

Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Samsung NX210
PAUL TILL
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

How am I doing?

That's just plain crazy, you do know why people buy a bridge camera, yes? Do you lug it all around in a trolley too?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

AdamT
Like?

The lens and the TC, they are awesome together at f/4, but the cornes can get blurry at times...the Spot Focus Point was on the large sticker/tag in front of box...

Ij all fairness, that TC was designed for the CP8800VR which has a totally different lens , it`s a miracle it does as well as it does ..... the best I found for Pannys was always the big heavy Olympus 14B which was designed for the E10 and E20 . no corner issues but it`s only 1.4X hence why it fell from favour to the Nikon

-- hide signature --

PAUL TILL
Like?
In reply to AdamT, Apr 1, 2013

AdamT wrote:

Ij all fairness, that TC was designed for the CP8800VR which has a totally different lens , it`s a miracle it does as well as it does ..... the best I found for Pannys was always the big heavy Olympus 14B which was designed for the E10 and E20 . no corner issues but it`s only 1.4X hence why it fell from favour to the Nikon

-- hide signature --

The 14B was OK on a 4MP camera but anything higher and it was crap.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

AdamT
Like?

The 14B was OK on a 4MP camera but anything higher and it was crap.

it was fabulous on the 10Mp FZ50 . I`ll try one on the XS1 if I land one , if the droopy lens will take the weight

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads