Cost of repair E-500 sensor

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions
photophile
Forum ProPosts: 12,891Gear list
Like?
Cost of repair E-500 sensor
Apr 1, 2013

You may recall a sensor fault developed on my E500 almost 2 years a go now. A thin vertical blue line a quarter of the way into the frame from the right hand side. The line is only really visible at ISO 800 and obtrusive at ISO 1600.  At lower settings it doesn´t show. Anyway, my in-laws live close to the Olympus service facility in Portugal (Coimbra). I popped in there briefly this morning with my father-in-law (Easter Mondays are not a bank holiday in Portugal). The staff were very kind to us - and understood the problem well. Cost of repair though: 174 Euros (approx 223 USD or 147 UK pounds). They wouldn´t budge on the price. So I said I´d think about it. Bear in mind that a used (good condition) E500 on Amazon is around 175 UK pounds.

I personally don´t think the repair is worth the cost - as much as I like the camera.  For one thing - I can still use it up to ISO-400 - so for day time shooting, its not a problem. Secondly, I have my E-510 in case I ever need to use higher sensitivity.  On top of all that, if I use the scratch removal tool in PSPX2, I can actually get rid of the blue line fairly well.

Anyone still think its worth getting the repair done ??

-- hide signature --

AH

photophile's gear list:photophile's gear list
Olympus Stylus 840 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-750 UZ Olympus E-500 Olympus E-510 +5 more
Olympus E-5 Pentax Optio E50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AntnioGM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,664Gear list
Like?
Re: Cost of repair E-500 sensor
In reply to photophile, Apr 1, 2013

Why not? If the camera pleases you, it might be worth a repair.

After all, it's your camera and you certainly know it well.

António GM

AntnioGM's gear list:AntnioGM's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Leica D-LUX 4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 Leica V-Lux 20 Epson R-D1 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dt27348
Contributing MemberPosts: 725Gear list
Like?

I would say use it as it is and save your cash for a possible future purchase perhaps later this year if the predictions are correct!

Dave

dt27348's gear list:dt27348's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10 Samsung NX5 Samsung NX1000 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6
Historicity
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?

photophile wrote:

You may recall a sensor fault developed on my E500 almost 2 years a go now. A thin vertical blue line a quarter of the way into the frame from the right hand side. The line is only really visible at ISO 800 and obtrusive at ISO 1600.  At lower settings it doesn´t show. Anyway, my in-laws live close to the Olympus service facility in Portugal (Coimbra). I popped in there briefly this morning with my father-in-law (Easter Mondays are not a bank holiday in Portugal). The staff were very kind to us - and understood the problem well. Cost of repair though: 174 Euros (approx 223 USD or 147 UK pounds). They wouldn´t budge on the price. So I said I´d think about it. Bear in mind that a used (good condition) E500 on Amazon is around 175 UK pounds.

I personally don´t think the repair is worth the cost - as much as I like the camera.  For one thing - I can still use it up to ISO-400 - so for day time shooting, its not a problem. Secondly, I have my E-510 in case I ever need to use higher sensitivity.  On top of all that, if I use the scratch removal tool in PSPX2, I can actually get rid of the blue line fairly well.

Anyone still think its worth getting the repair done ??

-- hide signature --

AH

I have an E500 and while I don't use it all the time I always like my photos when I do use it.  I have other cameras as well, the E-1, E-520, E-420 & E-3.  During a time when I was using it all the time I decided never to be without one and so bought a backup E500.  And knowing me, if I were in your predicament, I would have it repaired because Oly will check it over completely and repair anything else they find.  In the end it may cost more than 174 Euros, but it will be in pristine condition.  I would do that and pay the extra if they told me it needed a new shutter or something else just to have it in near-new condition.  I have done that with a couple of different cameras in the past and discovered a dirty viewfinder in one I got back.  I was sure I could clean it on my own & so never sent it back again.  The 4/3 viewfinders, however, are very hard to clean and I never managed adequately .  If that were to happen now I would send it back again.

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 +43 more
Always Good
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?

Maybe they could slip in an em5 sensor to replace the existing one.  If it was possible you could kick off a new industry. 

-- hide signature --

Eat an apple everyday; an onion keeps everyone away.

Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,701Gear list
Like?
It makes no sense to spend

almost as much money as the camera is worth.  In this day of rapidly improving technology, sadly, it would be wiser I think, to just use the camera within it's limitations and eventually toss it.  Save the money to buy yourself a better camera, and believe me there are better cameras.

In the old film days, repairing a camera was worthwhile as technology in film didn't advance nearly as fast as it does in the digital world.  But it's a different world today.

-- hide signature --

BJM

carizi
carizi MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,168Gear list
Like?

What I would is put the afflicted camera through Ebay and sell it "for parts".  Then, get a another one.

carizi's gear list:carizi's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,158Gear list
Like?
Cost of repair - use it until something else breaks

How high of an ISO can you use on an E-500 anyway, before getting unacceptable noise? I don't know but I try to stay at or below ISO 400 with my E-5, even though noise can be fixed in pp. And I know lots of people shoot the E-5 at a higher ISO than this. I just try not to.

If the camera shutter fails after another couple of years of use, then pay the price of a new shutter and sensor at that time. Part of the cost is a minimum handling and take-apart fee. Chances are you could get the sensor and a shutter (or any other problem that may come along) replaced for not too much more money.

I'd use tha camera as is and save my money for a better upgrade later. Even a used E-30, E-620 or an E-3 would be similarly priced and a better upgrade, compared to repairing the E-500.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
aja2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,657
Like?
I wouldn't bother...

As long as you know the limitations and it doesn't affect lower ISOs, use it in those situations & save your money for when it actually breaks.

Digirame
Forum ProPosts: 29,092
Like?
No, don't repair the camera.
In reply to photophile, Apr 2, 2013

When I took pictures with the Olympus E-500, generally I kept it at ISO500 and below.  With the Olympus E-510 it's ISO800 and below (for the most part).  I bought additional E-500 and E-510 cameras thinking that when they break, I'd just use one of the additional ones.  One was only $130 (USD) and the other was $195 that I purchased used on Ebay.  The problem is that none of them have broken and I still have four Olympus DSLR cameras.   But they are being used, but not as much since I got my two Canon DSLR cameras and lenses.

For you, don't do anything.  Get another one, (if you would like) as a spare with low shutter clicks if you can find one.  They should last long enough, until you decide to get another upgrade (with future technological advances).  Anyway, that's my view on it.

Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,072Gear list
Like?
Shutter?

If the shutter also gets replaced while they are in there, that would be worth considering.

If not, the shutter would be the next thing to go, after getting the new sensor.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
photophile
Forum ProPosts: 12,891Gear list
Like?
=Thank you everyone =

..for offering your thoughts/opinions. I take the point that most of you make - which is that it might be prudent to save the pennies and put them away for a future upgrade towards a  later E-system body. Admittedly, 174 Euros isn´t exactly a fortune (for me, for now anyway - though with the current economic situation - who knows what might happen  But then again, 174 Euros is approx a third of the way towards an E30 or an E620....maybe even a second hand E3!  Since I can use the E500 up to ISO 400 without the blue line showing - it will still see daytime action. As dave gaines suggested - perhaps if a second fault (such as a faulty shutter) develops, then it might be worth considering an evaluation. When we talked to the service guy in the shop, he did say that 174 Euros would be for sensor replacement only and "system check. " With hindsight, I wish I´d asked if the replacement sensor would be the same as the one originally used in the E500....or a later incarnation.

I will next be in the area on the weekend of 20/21st April - so I´ve got until then to decide whether to get the repair done...or leave it for now. I must say, as of now, I am leaning towards the leave it for now option.

Thanks again!

-- hide signature --

AH

photophile's gear list:photophile's gear list
Olympus Stylus 840 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-750 UZ Olympus E-500 Olympus E-510 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads