Converting Kodak DCR (RAW) files under Mountain Lion 10.8.3

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions
Ringwraith69
Senior MemberPosts: 2,407
Like?
Converting Kodak DCR (RAW) files under Mountain Lion 10.8.3
Apr 1, 2013

Hi everybody!

Very recently, I've made two very important choices in my life. First, I bought an old Kodak DCS Pro 14nx digital SLR. Than a few days later, I switched from Windows to Apple, now using a Mac Mini with OS-X Mountain Lion 10.8.3.

While I'm rapidly getting used to the Mac environment, I did run in to a problem I'm having a hard time solving: finding the right software to convert and/or edit the DCR-format RAW-files from the Kodak. Under Windows, I used Kodak PhotoDesk to convert the RAW-files to TIFF or JPEG, but the latest version of this software is some 10 years old and won't run under Mountain Lion. It causes an error message to appear, stating that Power PC software is no longer supported.

Could anyone her point me towards the best solution for 'developing' the Kodak DCR-files?

Thank you and best regards,

Peter

-- hide signature --

/'We are only immortal for a limited time'/

LouCioccio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,639Gear list
Like?
Re: Converting Kodak DCR (RAW) files under Mountain Lion 10.8.3
In reply to Ringwraith69, Apr 1, 2013

For starter have you tried Adobe free Raw to DNG converter which is free:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5518&promoid=DTEHQ

That way you could compare a previous RAW from Windows platform to the DNG to see if it compares.

Ciao,

Lou Cioccio

LouCioccio's gear list:LouCioccio's gear list
Olympus E-30 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ringwraith69
Like?
In reply to LouCioccio, Apr 1, 2013

Now why didn't I think of that one myself...

Thanks, Lou!

-- hide signature --

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,022
Like?
In reply to Ringwraith69, Apr 1, 2013

If you're using an application that relies on Mac OS X's RAW support (e.g., Aperture, iPhoto), you might want to check out the Mac OS X RAW compatibility list:

Apple - OS X Mountain Lion: Supported digital camera RAW formats

There is a "Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n" entry on the list, for whatever that's worth.

For Photoshop, Lightroom, etc., you should check the list for Adobe's converter (since they use, or ship with, their own).

Gionni Dorelli
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ringwraith69, Apr 2, 2013

Adobe Camera Raw (photoshop raw converter) and Lightroom are compatible with the dcr files.

I use to have the same camera few years back and I still have some of its files sitting on my hard drives. I have recently converted a few of them using Lightroom 4 on Mountain Lion. But any Lightroom  or ACR version that run on mountain lion will do.

Ringwraith69
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, Apr 5, 2013

Tom_N wrote:

If you're using an application that relies on Mac OS X's RAW support (e.g., Aperture, iPhoto), you might want to check out the Mac OS X RAW compatibility list:

Apple - OS X Mountain Lion: Supported digital camera RAW formats

There is a "Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n" entry on the list, for whatever that's worth.

For Photoshop, Lightroom, etc., you should check the list for Adobe's converter (since they use, or ship with, their own).

That's the funny thing. I did check that list and I did spot the SLR/n listed as being supported. However: none of Apple's own applications even recognize the DCR-files. My folders where they are stored simply appear to be empty...

Anyway: the Adobe DNG converter works and I just bought PhotoShop Elements which does include ACR, so one way or the other this will work out.

Thanx for your response!

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads