Shooting sports and other things with the K5IIs...

Started Apr 1, 2013 | Discussions
mark dimo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,961Gear list
Like?
Shooting sports and other things with the K5IIs...
Apr 1, 2013

The arrival of the K5II made what was already a near perfect camera (K5) into the best handling Pentax to date.

I'm usually the oddball who shoots professional sports with a Pentax.  In the USA,  I know Ed Jay does a lot of work for the NFL; and across the globe, other sports photographers who use Pentax have reached out to say hello over the years.

The number of shooters (for professional sports) has typically been low, but with the new K5II and IIs,  that could possibly change because Pentax has finally offered a body that can meet the expectations of sports photographers and editors of the sports journalism world.

I collected my thoughts and organized them here in a blog entry at my personal blog:

As far as performance is concerned the K5II is the fastest, most accurate performing K to date.

http://surfdoc.blogspot.com/2013/03/shooting-sports-low-light-and-mixed-wb.html

These are my opinions and wanted share my experiences with the K5II.

-- hide signature --

Managing Director Alon Philippines Surf & Travel
www.alonphilippines.com
Photographer / Features Writer for Lonely Planet Magazine, Digital Photographer & Mabuhay Magazine
Life is too short, surf waves, own a convertible, and marry for love!

mark dimo's gear list:mark dimo's gear list
Pentax K-3 HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jm_mac
Senior MemberPosts: 1,904Gear list
Like?
Re: Shooting sports and other things with the K5IIs...
In reply to mark dimo, Apr 1, 2013

Great post and blog, Mark!  I love hearing about your adventures in the surfing world and beyond.  I have a question - you have found that the K5II has much better AF than the K5.  Did your K5 have the latest firmware?  I have heard from a couple of folks here on the forum that the latest K5 firmware is better with respect to AF.  I have two K5's - if I can get a significant AF improvement, I may trade one in for a K5II.

jm_mac

jm_mac's gear list:jm_mac's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D7000 Pentax K-01 Canon EOS M Pentax K-5 IIs +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,618Gear list
Like?

Nice read Mark, prices are very good here in aus also $800 body only.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Pentax K7, Panasonic fz150, Olympus XZ1, my main toys.

mark dimo
Like?
In reply to jm_mac, Apr 1, 2013

jm_mac wrote:

Great post and blog, Mark!  I love hearing about your adventures in the surfing world and beyond.  I have a question - you have found that the K5II has much better AF than the K5.  Did your K5 have the latest firmware?  I have heard from a couple of folks here on the forum that the latest K5 firmware is better with respect to AF.

The joy of the K5II is that AF is more accurate in those backlit poorly contrasted scenarios that might make the original K5 and before get fooled into front or back focusing.

The very first thing I observed about the II/IIs is that it was able to lock focus during sceanrios where my past bodies might get fooled into spinning the AF barrel from close to infinity and back.  With the new II, it is a quick and dead accurate lock.

The AF-C is greatly improved as well.  I mentioned in the blog that it wasnt as accurate as the Mark IV, but that in no way relegates it to the bottom of the barrel.  I wouldnt imagine it any worse than the 7d, D7000 or D300s from those respective competitors,  which translates to this...  Cameras  within the class or price range of the II/IIs have a hard time competing with the benefits the new II offers.

Now if you measure it against a Mark III or beyond,  the marginal gain in performance by those monstrous bodies isn't as easily justified when you consider the Mark series cams are 4-5X the base price of the K5II. Hence,  a set of K5II's with pro caliber DA*'s can keep up with the efficiency and performance of any competitors best considering its durabiliity and weather sealing.  We all know the mind blowing High ISO performance the K5 possesses so need to keep reinforcing that facet.

Happy shooting.  you can follow my new football blog here: www.phootballworld.wordpress.com

It will showcase alot of lowlight photography and really pushing the K5II to its limits.

-- hide signature --

www.alonphilippines.com
Photographer / Features Writer for Lonely Planet Magazine, Digital Photographer & Mabuhay Magazine

mark dimo
Like?
In reply to Donald B, Apr 1, 2013

Donald B wrote:

Nice read Mark, prices are very good here in aus also $800 body only.

cheers don

WOW!!! the new II is only 800 aussie dollar??  I need to check B&H for their current price on the II and pick up a second body.

*just checked at it still runs about 1000 USD, so you guys down under are getting a great deal

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

www.alonphilippines.com

ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,690Gear list
Like?

Don where are you getting a II for $800?

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
Donald B
Like?
In reply to ozdean, Apr 1, 2013

ozdean wrote:

Don where are you getting a II for $800?

-- hide signature --

perfect mission, here in hervey bay. ebay store ive purchased many an item from them. next day delivery. i nearly fell over myself Dean. $795

cheers don

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pentax-K-5-II-K5-Body-Black-Warranty-Australia-/121086973783?pt=AU_Digital_Cameras&hash=item1c31589757

-- hide signature --

HozicEmir
Contributing MemberPosts: 682
Like?

You will be prosecuted, will have to make repentance, than You will be burned for heresy :)))

Pentax and sports, pure heresy.

ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,690Gear list
Like?

Don they are saying K5II K5 - I think they must mean a K5 - Picture is a II though

Did you buy one?

If it only was a IIs under 1g.

-- hide signature --

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-50 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
Donald B
Like?
In reply to ozdean, Apr 1, 2013

ozdean wrote:

Don they are saying K5II K5 - I think they must mean a K5 - Picture is a II though

Did you buy one?

If it only was a IIs under 1g.

-- hide signature --

if you look at all the kits they all show k511, if i had the money i woulld ring them and ask for a price on the 11s maybe 850 ? and delivery.

-- hide signature --

mark dimo
Like?
In reply to HozicEmir, Apr 1, 2013

HozicEmir wrote:

You will be prosecuted, will have to make repentance, than You will be burned for heresy :)))

Pentax and sports, pure heresy.

Ahhh,  I must confess.  You caught me in my April Fools joke.  In all fairness,  I shot all those images with my iphone 6. -Wink

Cheers!

-- hide signature --

www.alonphilippines.com

HozicEmir
Contributing MemberPosts: 682
Like?

Iphone 6 I can accept, pentax and sports can not

solarider
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,912Gear list
Like?
How indeed?

Definitely good photo work - and knowing where to be at the right moment.

On browsing your blog I found this to bring up a chuckle in the comments:

"Anonymous8:54 AM    hi mark,im using a pentax k5 because you are my idol.hehehe,im planning to buy *DA200mm,my lense kit now was 18to135m DA and DA*55.i want to know how you manage to used ISO 4000 to 5000 with still a good quality picture."

How indeed? 

-- hide signature --

History would be something extraordinary, if only it were true. Leo Tolstoy
Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media.
Noam Chomsky
Science... became scientism, which means it didn't just pursue its own truths, it aggressively denied that there were any other truths at all... Ken Wilbur
At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general tacit
agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts… Anyone who
challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising
effectiveness. - George Orwell
“It's not a matter of whether the war is not real, or if it is, Victory is not possible. The war is not meant to be won, it is meant to be continuous. … The war is waged by the ruling group against its own subjects and its object is not the victory over [the purported enemy], but to keep the very structure of society intact.” George Orwell, 1984
- - -

mark dimo
Like?
Re: How indeed?
In reply to solarider, Apr 1, 2013

solarider wrote:

"Anonymous8:54 AM    hi mark,im using a pentax k5 because you are my idol.hehehe,im planning to buy *DA200mm,my lense kit now was 18to135m DA and DA*55.i want to know how you manage to used ISO 4000 to 5000 with still a good quality picture."

I know this may seem like blasphemy to the purist, but I have been shooting mostly JPG.  The Pentax 4star JPEG fulfills my spot journalism needs and I really appreciate Pentax's current .jpg algorithms.

I tend to dwell in the 4000-5000 ISO range for most of our night (or indoor sports) assignments. Working here for the Philippines' Media,  we can't always expect brightly lit venues.  Throughout my shooting career, the Pyramid  (sports venue for Long Beach State University) still remains to be one of the brightest lit shooting venues ever.

I currently had the setting for noise reduction on default: Auto. I plan to experiment and turn those down to "Low"  to see if I can preserve more detail.  The Pentax output at extremely high ISO above 3200 is very clean, without any need for noise reduction software.

It seems Pentax ISO 4000+ is besting yesterday's ISO 800.  It allows users the ability to stop down and use f4 at night, or poor lighting conditions.

Thanks for browsing.

-- hide signature --

www.alonphilippines.com

Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208Gear list
Like?

mark dimo wrote:

solarider wrote:

I know this may seem like blasphemy to the purist, but I have been shooting mostly JPG.  The Pentax 4star JPEG fulfills my spot journalism needs and I really appreciate Pentax's current .jpg algorithms.

I tend to dwell in the 4000-5000 ISO range for most of our night (or indoor sports) assignments. Working here for the Philippines' Media,  we can't always expect brightly lit venues.  Throughout my shooting career, the Pyramid  (sports venue for Long Beach State University) still remains to be one of the brightest lit shooting venues ever.

I currently had the setting for noise reduction on default: Auto. I plan to experiment and turn those down to "Low"  to see if I can preserve more detail.  The Pentax output at extremely high ISO above 3200 is very clean, without any need for noise reduction software.

It seems Pentax ISO 4000+ is besting yesterday's ISO 800.  It allows users the ability to stop down and use f4 at night, or poor lighting conditions.

Thanks for browsing.

Curious.... what do you use for your JPG image defaults (and modifications)?  I know the camera comes with "Bright" selected but is that what you use?  Thanks.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
mark dimo
Like?
In reply to Jim in Hudson, Apr 1, 2013

Jim in Hudson wrote:

Curious.... what do you use for your JPG image defaults (and modifications)?  I know the camera comes with "Bright" selected but is that what you use?  Thanks.

Hi Jim,

I use bright,  but i turn down the saturation one notch.

-- hide signature --

www.alonphilippines.com

Mr Jam
Regular MemberPosts: 284
Like?
What other lenses?

Mark,

Fantastic blog.  I do runway fashion shows using Pentax.  Runway shows are almost like sport photography since you get lots of movements.

I use the K5 original and it is wonderful in terms of color and high ISO.  My "runway zooms" are Tamron 28-75, f2.8 and DA*50-135, f2.8.  However, unlike your experience, 50-135 is slow in focus tracking when the subject is moving toward me.  Tamron also gets frequent soft focus images in lower light with even stationary subjects despite the focus confirmation.

What other lenses besides 50-135 works for you for sports photography?

Thanks in advance

Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,517
Like?

Mark, nice blog and very nice photos.

I'm just wondering how you do sports shooting using the DA* 50-135. It is the slowest autofocusing lens I own.

Thanks,

Joe

lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919
Like?
Equal to the 7D and d300s ?

That would be interesting ?How did you get to that conclusion /

lock

mark dimo
Like?
Re: Equal to the 7D and d300s ?
In reply to lock, Apr 1, 2013

lock wrote:

That would be interesting ?How did you get to that conclusion /

lock

Hi Lock,

During my career,  I have shot with All three systems (Canon, Nikon, and Pentax).   During my days with boxer Manny Pacquiao I used Nikon and Pentax.  The Nikon D300 was fantastic and their AF had the edge on what Pentax offered at the time (K7) but wasn't leaps and bounds ahead.

Working with Billabong Asia, I used a whole arsenal of Canon and Pentax; and the 7d's build wasnt up to par with the K5 or the Mark III.  Many friends lost 7d's to weather that a K5 could eat for breakfast.  Back then, the 7d had a minor edge on the old K5 for AF performance.

In hindsight,  and comparing with how the new K5II feels.  It is my best opinion that the K5II has caught up to the performance expectations similar to the 7D and D300. The way that it can lock focus in really dim light before the AF assist beam kicks in.  Also,  the keepers I'm getting with AF-C are increased in frequency.

It's the improvement in AF, coupled with the inherent feature unique to pentax (in body SR, solid weather sealed build quality, smallest form factor) that justify the K5II's ability to stand above the older 7D and 300D.  It's all things considered and how these factors synergize with my workflow that I make these opionins.

Afterall,  these are simply my opinions and anyone who has grown comfortable with their system of choice can make an opposing argument. But, I did venture to the other side when curiosity got the best of me,  and the Grass was not greener... just heavier.

-- hide signature --

www.alonphilippines.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads