My Review 6D and 50/1.2 L Combo

Started Apr 1, 2013 | User reviews
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,921Gear list
Like?
Re: My Review 6D and 50/1.2 L Combo
In reply to sean lancaster, Apr 2, 2013

I wanted to add another element to my review above . . . dynamic range. I visited a cemetery in the bright afternoon sun and shot a top of a tomb that was in a shadow. The sky was slightly blown out and the statue thing was dark, but I could pull out the sky and the details pretty nicely in post:

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sean lancaster
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Apr 6, 2013

I am still posting photos from this combo and I have 5 of my 6 most popular photos of all time taken with this combo that I used for just one week. 5 of my photos have been EXPLORED on Flickr in just over a week. That just blows my mind.

And yet another image where I needed all f/1.2 of the 50 and up to ISO 12,800:

I never really took any bike photos until seeing them in New Orleans last week. It almost felt like Amsterdam there.

I really prefer street photography much of the time:

I am now thinking I'll buy a 6d in the next week.

jjshooter
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Apr 7, 2013

I'm glad you rented this camera and field tested it yourself instead of field testing tons of questions from the audience on what they thought of the camera. If more people would just do what you did, it would cut the posts down by a huge percentage. Thanks for sharing! Keep shooting!

jjshooter's gear list:jjshooter's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM
sean lancaster
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Apr 11, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

usedtobedontrustme wrote:

gavin wrote:

Thanks for the review. Get a black rapid strap. It works fantastic with my 5DII/24-70/2.8L etc. I walked around it for 8 miles yesterday on my old one and the new one is more comfortable.

-- hide signature --

What camera do I have? I rather you look at my photos www.flickr.com/photos/gavinz

Thanks for the interesting review and good photos.

While reading about your neck strap concerns I instantly thought of the Black Rapid strap. It is sooo much more comfortable than a neck strap. I use it with a Canon 7d with a 100-400mm lens and it is relatively comfortable, even compared to a nice contoured neck strap.

Thanks for the tip you two. If I end up getting a FF camera that isn't the RX1 then I'll look into the B.R. strap.

Also, I walked around and shot hundreds of shots today before sending back my 6d to lensrental and I really appreciated knowing about the back dial pad for aperture control. That was so much easier. However, when it's sunny out I can't wear sunglasses and see the aperture or shutter speed changing inside of the viewfinder, so I end up viewing the back LCD anyway. But at night or when I am not wearing sunglasses, the ease of the two dials is really nice. Thanks.

I just ordered the Canon 6D and the Black Rapids strap, so we'll see. I also purchased the little EF 35/2 lens; it's not stellar, but it's decent enough wide open in the middle and that's generally what I like. I plan to sell the 24-105 kit lens and to apply that money towards the 50/1.2. Two lenses is all I need. The 6D and 35/2 should arrive tomorrow morning by 10:30.

lordbeau
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Apr 11, 2013

Yours pics are really quite stunning and although you give the 6D a hard time in your review, you have almost sold it to me (Nikon user wondering whether to jump ship)!

Favourite pic: the one with the green light from the screen

Also liked: kid in cafe and bicycle pics

Your treatment with the pp is great.

sean lancaster
Like?
In reply to lordbeau, Apr 12, 2013

lordbeau wrote:

Yours pics are really quite stunning and although you give the 6D a hard time in your review, you have almost sold it to me (Nikon user wondering whether to jump ship)!

First, thank you for the compliments.

As much as the 6D sold me after trying the RX1 and the D600, I am pretty sure the D600 would be my choice if I already had Nikon glass (the RX1 would have been my choice if its auto focusing speed was a bit better). I didn't have any FF glass for any system so I wasn't invested in a system. If you have Nikon glass that would work on the D600 then I'd recommend going that route because the 6D and D600 are fairly similar. For specialized low light shooting, I prefer the 6D but I was still impressed with the higher ISO of the D600 (this is all compared to my NEX 5N).

Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,428Gear list
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Apr 12, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

usedtobedontrustme wrote:

gavin wrote:

Thanks for the review. Get a black rapid strap. It works fantastic with my 5DII/24-70/2.8L etc. I walked around it for 8 miles yesterday on my old one and the new one is more comfortable.

-- hide signature --

What camera do I have? I rather you look at my photos www.flickr.com/photos/gavinz

Thanks for the interesting review and good photos.

While reading about your neck strap concerns I instantly thought of the Black Rapid strap. It is sooo much more comfortable than a neck strap. I use it with a Canon 7d with a 100-400mm lens and it is relatively comfortable, even compared to a nice contoured neck strap.

Thanks for the tip you two. If I end up getting a FF camera that isn't the RX1 then I'll look into the B.R. strap.

Also, I walked around and shot hundreds of shots today before sending back my 6d to lensrental and I really appreciated knowing about the back dial pad for aperture control. That was so much easier. However, when it's sunny out I can't wear sunglasses and see the aperture or shutter speed changing inside of the viewfinder, so I end up viewing the back LCD anyway. But at night or when I am not wearing sunglasses, the ease of the two dials is really nice. Thanks.

I just ordered the Canon 6D and the Black Rapids strap, so we'll see. I also purchased the little EF 35/2 lens; it's not stellar, but it's decent enough wide open in the middle and that's generally what I like. I plan to sell the 24-105 kit lens and to apply that money towards the 50/1.2. Two lenses is all I need. The 6D and 35/2 should arrive tomorrow morning by 10:30.

Sean, if you can swing another $275 or so, I cannot recommend the Canon 85 1.8 enough.  It's center sharp wide open, and really really nice @ F2.8.  It's very light and great for walk around shots.  Also keep this in mind - the 50 1.2 (which I used to own) is an amazing lens, but certainly not the fastest focusing lens in the world.  You have to try the 85 1.8...:)

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Shield3
Senior MemberPosts: 2,428Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shield3, Apr 12, 2013

The $275 I mentioned is roughly the used price for the 85 1.8.

Shield3's gear list:Shield3's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
sean lancaster
Like?
In reply to Shield3, Apr 12, 2013

Shield3 wrote:

The $275 I mentioned is roughly the used price for the 85 1.8.

I could sell my 50/1.8 on my NEX (I'd still have a FDn 50/1.4) and buy the 85/1.8 pretty easily. I'll look into it (I just checked out samples on Flickr - very nice). Thanks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads