My Review 6D and 50/1.2 L Combo

Started Apr 1, 2013 | User reviews
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,256Gear list
Like?
My Review 6D and 50/1.2 L Combo
Apr 1, 2013

Let me preface this review by noting that I am pretty new to photography. I bought a Sony NEX 5N in Sept. of 2011 and knew nothing about photography. Slowly over the next year I read books on exposure, composition, and light. I was determined to figure out the technical aspects of photography so the equipment wouldn't limit me trying to achieve what my eyes wanted to capture. I find photography so much easier when I don't have to think about how to get the exposure I want and can do it naturally. It wasn't until mid Sept. of 2012 that I finally started getting photos that I liked without relying largely on shooting a lot of shots and hoping to get lucky. I have been looking for an upgrade to my NEX 5N (and Zeiss 24/1.8 lens, which I use 90% of the time). I tried a Sony RX1 and loved the IQ, but the AF was too slow for me. I tried a Nikon D600 and Sigma 50 and really liked that combo, but the Nikon D600 arrived with about 15 spots on the sensor so I sent it back after a week.

This week, I am renting a Canon 6D and 50/1.2 L lens after liking this focal length on the Nikon I tried. I have to send it back to LensRentals tomorrow, but wanted to write my review while I still had the combo. I selected this week because we are spending the week in New Orleans (I am from Michigan).

I largely shoot available light; in fact, I don't ever want to use a flash again. I also enjoy shooting my fast primes wide open. I know that's not for everyone, but I like it. The 6D's ability to focus in low light is outstanding. Much of the time I can point and grab focus even in very dark setting (and I mean very dark).

This scene was darker than it appears and I needed every bit of the 50/1.2 lens

or a street scene like this:

Dancing on Bourbon Street

However, I can stop down when I need to do so (e.g., on our flight to New Orleans):

Cloudy all day but we managed to catch the sunset anyway.

I am finding that I have to use the center focus point because selecting a focus point is too slow much of the time and none of the other focus points are as quick, especially in low light. I prefer to crop rather than recompose . . . the plane of focus is so narrow with the 50/1.2 that trying to recompose can throw off the focus completely. But the 50/1.2 is a natural lens for low light photography and pairing it with the 6D creates a low light monster that isn't rivaled by any camera/lens combo within $1000.

Bike on Bourbon Street

I shot almost exclusively in M (manual) mode with auto ISO (up to 12,800). The dial on top (the only dial) controls the shutter speed, which is nice, but I have to hit the Q button to get access to the aperture and that's a bit annoying. I realize this is a budget camera, but it's also $1,700+ so "budget" is a bit of an oxymoron in that respect. But hitting the Q button requires viewing the back LCD to make sure you're on Aperture and to see how it is changing (same shutter speed dial controls aperture when aperture is selected in Q), so you can change one and then exit Q menu to return the dial on top to the shutter speed. I wouldn't say this is ideal, but it beat my $450 NEX 5N, so there's that. Heh.

I am still up in the air as to whether I will buy this camera and lens. We reached a little over 80 degrees the past 2 or 3 days and the camera weighs a ton on my neck. My neck gets sweaty and hot and it's a bit unbearable to walk around all day. I am far too used to have a little NEX 5N that I can just use a wrist strap with and never feel the weight all day in my hand. I can't do that with the 6d. I found myself putting it in my little Canon backpack and then not being able to pull it out quickly enough when I needed the shot. I also found that the 1/4000 speed was too slow for some of the daytime shooting I wanted to do so I had to stop down and lose the shot I wanted.

But gosh, the low light performance of this combo . . . Mmmm mmmm mmm.

My first shot with the combo last Monday

More focus points like the center one or easier access to varios focus points (e.g., a control stick) and I would have bumped this up to 4.5.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
sean lancaster's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
mediocre
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
snakama
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: My Review 6D and 50/1.2 L Combo
In reply to sean lancaster, Apr 1, 2013

Nice Review Sean,  there is an error in the review on controlling the aperature in manual mode, it's controlled by the quick control dial on the back of the camera, it's very easy to change all settings, iso, shutter and aperature without removing your eye from the viewfinder

snakama's gear list:snakama's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Learnphotography
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?

I shot almost exclusively in M (manual) mode with auto ISO (up to 12,800). The dial on top (the only dial) controls the shutter speed, which is nice, but I have to hit the Q button to get access to the aperture and that's a bit annoying.

you can change aperture with rear dial. u can even switch front and rear dial under custom menu. no need to press Q

sean lancaster
Like?
In reply to snakama, Apr 1, 2013

snakama wrote:

Nice Review Sean,  there is an error in the review on controlling the aperature in manual mode, it's controlled by the quick control dial on the back of the camera, it's very easy to change all settings, iso, shutter and aperature without removing your eye from the viewfinder

I tried to change my review and bump it up to 4.5, but I must have missed the 15 minute window by less than a minute. Darn. But at least I can take advantage of the back dial tomorrow, so thanks.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
William DIllard
Senior MemberPosts: 2,448Gear list
Like?

sean lancaster wrote:

Let me preface this review by noting that I am pretty new to photography. I bought a Sony NEX 5N in Sept. of 2011 and knew nothing about photography. Slowly over the next year I read books on exposure, composition, and light. I was determined to figure out the technical aspects of photography so the equipment wouldn't limit me trying to achieve what my eyes wanted to capture. I find photography so much easier when I don't have to think about how to get the exposure I want and can do it naturally. It wasn't until mid Sept. of 2012 that I finally started getting photos that I liked without relying largely on shooting a lot of shots and hoping to get lucky. I have been looking for an upgrade to my NEX 5N (and Zeiss 24/1.8 lens, which I use 90% of the time). I tried a Sony RX1 and loved the IQ, but the AF was too slow for me. I tried a Nikon D600 and Sigma 50 and really liked that combo, but the Nikon D600 arrived with about 15 spots on the sensor so I sent it back after a week.

This week, I am renting a Canon 6D and 50/1.2 L lens after liking this focal length on the Nikon I tried. I have to send it back to LensRentals tomorrow, but wanted to write my review while I still had the combo. I selected this week because we are spending the week in New Orleans (I am from Michigan).

I largely shoot available light; in fact, I don't ever want to use a flash again. I also enjoy shooting my fast primes wide open. I know that's not for everyone, but I like it. The 6D's ability to focus in low light is outstanding. Much of the time I can point and grab focus even in very dark setting (and I mean very dark).

However, I can stop down when I need to do so (e.g., on our flight to New Orleans):

I am finding that I have to use the center focus point because selecting a focus point is too slow much of the time and none of the other focus points are as quick, especially in low light. I prefer to crop rather than recompose . . . the plane of focus is so narrow with the 50/1.2 that trying to recompose can throw off the focus completely. But the 50/1.2 is a natural lens for low light photography and pairing it with the 6D creates a low light monster that isn't rivaled by any camera/lens combo within $1000.

Bike on Bourbon Street

I shot almost exclusively in M (manual) mode with auto ISO (up to 12,800). The dial on top (the only dial) controls the shutter speed, which is nice, but I have to hit the Q button to get access to the aperture and that's a bit annoying. I realize this is a budget camera, but it's also $1,700+ so "budget" is a bit of an oxymoron in that respect. But hitting the Q button requires viewing the back LCD to make sure you're on Aperture and to see how it is changing (same shutter speed dial controls aperture when aperture is selected in Q), so you can change one and then exit Q menu to return the dial on top to the shutter speed. I wouldn't say this is ideal, but it beat my $450 NEX 5N, so there's that. Heh.

I am still up in the air as to whether I will buy this camera and lens. We reached a little over 80 degrees the past 2 or 3 days and the camera weighs a ton on my neck. My neck gets sweaty and hot and it's a bit unbearable to walk around all day. I am far too used to have a little NEX 5N that I can just use a wrist strap with and never feel the weight all day in my hand. I can't do that with the 6d. I found myself putting it in my little Canon backpack and then not being able to pull it out quickly enough when I needed the shot. I also found that the 1/4000 speed was too slow for some of the daytime shooting I wanted to do so I had to stop down and lose the shot I wanted.

More focus points like the center one or easier access to varios focus points (e.g., a control stick) and I would have bumped this up to 4.5.

Well the pictures are really good. I have both the 6D and the 50L which is my favorite lens but I have not tried the combo because I have been focusing on the Tamron 24-70 which by the way is great. I am now trying to work with it, meaning the 6D with the Sigma 85 1.4. I hope soon to use it with with the 50L !

William DIllard's gear list:William DIllard's gear list
Tokina AF-X Pro 16-50mm f/2.8 DX
salamander1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,001
Like?

sean lancaster wrote:

Bike on Bourbon Street

i like.

nice shots and good use of the 50mm f1.2

just clean the noise and you're on your way. it is visible in full view.

i don't know what program you're using for pp, but lightroom can make your pics silky smooth.

50 on the luminance slider will do the job.

ferian
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?

sean lancaster wrote:

Bike on Bourbon Street

nice review...

i actually saw this image in flickr "interesting page", i like it very much....

ferian's gear list:ferian's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,287Gear list
Like?
In reply to snakama, Apr 1, 2013

Nice to read what others think of the camera, many thanks.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 2,027Gear list
Like?

It is indeed a good camera and lens combination. I like your "dancer" photo, it highlights the qualities of the lens. Personally, I am more of a 35mm person, so for me it will be the 35 f/2 IS some time in the future, with the 6D.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
gfspencer
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?

sean lancaster wrote:

I am still up in the air as to whether I will buy this camera and lens. We reached a little over 80 degrees the past 2 or 3 days and the camera weighs a ton on my neck. My neck gets sweaty and hot and it's a bit unbearable to walk around all day. I am far too used to have a little NEX 5N that I can just use a wrist strap with and never feel the weight all day in my hand. I can't do that with the 6d. I found myself putting it in my little Canon backpack and then not being able to pull it out quickly enough when I needed the shot.

The 6D is one of the lighter full-frame DSLRs.  Maybe you would get used to it.

I liked your shots . . . especially the black & white ones.

gfspencer's gear list:gfspencer's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
sean lancaster
Like?
In reply to salamander1, Apr 1, 2013

salamander1 wrote:

i like.

i don't know what program you're using for pp, but lightroom can make your pics silky smooth.

Hmmm, I use lightroom and I do clean some noise in each higher ISO shot). If you still see noise then that is just where I reached the compromise level I didn't want to pass. I won't go over about level 50 on Luminance noise reduction because I'd rather keep as much detail as I can get. If I was printing full size then I might tweak differently (I even use NIK's DFine for more targeted noise reduction). Thanks for the feedback.

sean lancaster
Like?
In reply to ferian, Apr 1, 2013

ferian wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

Bike on Bourbon Street

nice review...

i actually saw this image in flickr "interesting page", i like it very much....

I've had my 2 most popular Flickr photos of all time with this combo. That bike photo reached over 280 favorites and the airplane photo about 80. My next most popular photo was around 70 favorites, so that certainly gives me ammo to help convince my wife.

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,686
Like?

I am looking at this camera as well as I wanted to get into FF for tilt shift lenses and a few other things, but your comments on lugging this thing around all day really 'weigh' on me. I am use to using a Pentax dslr with pancake lenses that I can put in a belted case and I hardly notice them. The weight to image quality ration is great. I just don't see myself as one of those guys lugging a big dlsr and big lenses around my neck all day. I would probably just not bring it many places. I really like everything about the camera, and I know this is as small as it comes in FF interchangeable lens cameras, but it's a tough call to carry around more camera. I should have started with a heavier kit, then this would feel light.

gavin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,235Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the review. Get a black rapid strap. It works fantastic with my 5DII/24-70/2.8L etc. I walked around it for 8 miles yesterday on my old one and the new one is more comfortable.

-- hide signature --

What camera do I have? I rather you look at my photos www.flickr.com/photos/gavinz

gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 Pentax WG-3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Kabe Luna
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,317Gear list
Like?
In reply to salamander1, Apr 1, 2013

salamander1 wrote:

i like.

Nothing wrong with noise at high ISO. Noise + detail is certainly more attractive and compelling than an image devoid of both noise and detail–and you really can't have both at high ISO. I think the balance the OP has struck is actually a pretty deft one.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +7 more
usedtobedontrustme
Regular MemberPosts: 462
Like?
In reply to gavin, Apr 1, 2013

gavin wrote:

Thanks for the review. Get a black rapid strap. It works fantastic with my 5DII/24-70/2.8L etc. I walked around it for 8 miles yesterday on my old one and the new one is more comfortable.

-- hide signature --

What camera do I have? I rather you look at my photos www.flickr.com/photos/gavinz

Thanks for the interesting review and good photos.

While reading about your neck strap concerns I instantly thought of the Black Rapid strap. It is sooo much more comfortable than a neck strap. I use it with a Canon 7d with a 100-400mm lens and it is relatively comfortable, even compared to a nice contoured neck strap.

-- hide signature --

Some of my pics are in my DPReview Gallery
dt

sean lancaster
Like?
In reply to usedtobedontrustme, Apr 1, 2013

usedtobedontrustme wrote:

gavin wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the interesting review and good photos.

While reading about your neck strap concerns I instantly thought of the Black Rapid strap. It is sooo much more comfortable than a neck strap. I use it with a Canon 7d with a 100-400mm lens and it is relatively comfortable, even compared to a nice contoured neck strap.

Thanks for the tip you two. If I end up getting a FF camera that isn't the RX1 then I'll look into the B.R. strap.

Also, I walked around and shot hundreds of shots today before sending back my 6d to lensrental and I really appreciated knowing about the back dial pad for aperture control. That was so much easier. However, when it's sunny out I can't wear sunglasses and see the aperture or shutter speed changing inside of the viewfinder, so I end up viewing the back LCD anyway. But at night or when I am not wearing sunglasses, the ease of the two dials is really nice. Thanks.

salamander1
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Apr 2, 2013

sean lancaster wrote:

salamander1 wrote:

i like.

Hmmm, I use lightroom and I do clean some noise in each higher ISO shot). If you still see noise then that is just where I reached the compromise level I didn't want to pass. I won't go over about level 50 on Luminance noise reduction because I'd rather keep as much detail as I can get. If I was printing full size then I might tweak differently (I even use NIK's DFine for more targeted noise reduction). Thanks for the feedback.

sorry, i did not mean mean to sound unkind or unceremonious. that was not my intention.

i did like your shots and they do look well. i mean who am i to say otherwise?

have you tried "topaz denoise"?

salamander1
Like?
In reply to Kabe Luna, Apr 2, 2013

Kabe Luna wrote:

salamander1 wrote:

i like.

Nothing wrong with noise at high ISO. Noise + detail is certainly more attractive and compelling than an image devoid of both noise and detail–and you really can't have both at high ISO. I think the balance the OP has struck is actually a pretty deft one.

-- hide signature --

i agree his pictures are good and well-taken. i meant to sound constructive. it's my fault i came across perhaps as criticizing, which i'm not.

jennyrae
Senior MemberPosts: 1,503
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Apr 2, 2013

very beautiful lowlight pictures. I borrowed 6D and it is amazing camera. best made camera for lowlight in my opinion.  no need burst because everything is in focus. never missed a shot. picture quality is amazing. $2,000 is steal price because of performance. you have great lenses for EOS, you get best results.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads