Unexpected lens purchase...

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions
Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,690Gear list
Like?
Unexpected lens purchase...
Mar 31, 2013

After much drooling and wanting, I have finally won a bid on a 14-54. Seems they're finally getting within reach of us mere hobbyist mortals, as I got it for £143. Only a year ago I would have been looking at paying over £300.

Annoyingly only a few days ago I missed an E-1 and 14-54 combo that went for just over £100.

I'm looking forward to getting some shots with my E-420.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
carizi
carizi MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,168Gear list
Like?
Re: Unexpected lens purchase...
In reply to Andy Hewitt, Mar 31, 2013

Enjoy!  I'm hoping the 50200mm will get lower plus I'm thinking of getting a second E-30.....or maybe an E-1 just for kicks......

carizi's gear list:carizi's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 637Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andy Hewitt, Apr 1, 2013

Congratulations.  That is really a great deal.   There is a lot of great Olympus gear out there right now at bargain prices.  With the talk of E-7 and such, I would have expected prices  in used markets to firm up some, but they have not.

John Byrne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,906
Like?

Now you can start drooling over your results. The lens is a cracker, and for  143 quid a real bargain.

Enjoy your new lens and show us some shots soon.

Cheers,

JB

Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,927Gear list
Like?

Andy Hewitt wrote:

After much drooling and wanting, I have finally won a bid on a 14-54. Seems they're finally getting within reach of us mere hobbyist mortals, as I got it for £143. Only a year ago I would have been looking at paying over £300.

Annoyingly only a few days ago I missed an E-1 and 14-54 combo that went for just over £100.

I'm looking forward to getting some shots with my E-420.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

From everything I have heard, that is a very fine lens.  Enjoy the purchase.  Should a new camera come about that utilizes these lenses, such prices will not hold.  Simple, basic economics of supply and demand.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Jay Jenner
Contributing MemberPosts: 654Gear list
Like?

Thats an amazing deal, well done! Got to be the bargain of the year. I used one for years and I think ts one of the best all purpose zooms ever made.

Jay Jenner's gear list:Jay Jenner's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
battybob
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?

Hello Andy,

took a look at the item you mentioned and it looks like a typo on the sellers part. Lens concerned was the 14 - 45, not the 14 - 54, even though seller listed it as that, so no need to kick yourself for missing out. Enjoy your new lens !!

Bob

PaulM2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,654
Like?

Hi Andy,

A couple of years ago, I also was very lucky in acquiring a 14-54 mk1.

I also have the e-420 and the 14-54 works great on it, but it is just a bit large for this small camera.

So the lens spends most of its time on the E-1, great fit and it  completes the weather-proof aspect of the E-1.

Good luck with it. You will more than get your money's worth from it.

Paul

Andy Hewitt
Like?
In reply to battybob, Apr 1, 2013

battybob wrote:

Hello Andy,

took a look at the item you mentioned and it looks like a typo on the sellers part. Lens concerned was the 14 - 45, not the 14 - 54, even though seller listed it as that, so no need to kick yourself for missing out. Enjoy your new lens !!

Ah, good spot. Even so, that's still a cheap E-1 and lens combo.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Andy Hewitt
Like?
In reply to PaulM2, Apr 1, 2013

PaulM2 wrote:

Hi Andy,

A couple of years ago, I also was very lucky in acquiring a 14-54 mk1.

I also have the e-420 and the 14-54 works great on it, but it is just a bit large for this small camera.

So the lens spends most of its time on the E-1, great fit and it  completes the weather-proof aspect of the E-1.

Good luck with it. You will more than get your money's worth from it.

Thanks Paul. Not too much of a problem, I have been using the older 14-45, as well as a mix of much larger lenses too (such as old Korboron 60-300 manual lens, which is huge). I'm currently using the 14-42 and Sigma 55-200 as my main lenses at the moment (I do have a MkII 40-150 as well, but the Sigma performs equally well at similar focal lengths, and the extra reach is handy at times).

If things turn around this year, I might have a look for another E-1 to complete the weather proof setup. I have a daughter heading for university in September, so priorities are elsewhere at the moment (I'll be selling some to pay back towards the 14-54 though).

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?

Congrats Andy and Enjoy.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Peterd21
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?

Well done Andy, hope you enjoy it - I love the 14-54.

Good to see you posting as I thought you had gone quiet but then again it isn't the weather as too damn cold even if sunny ..or am I being a wimp.

If you do fancy an E-1 again let me know as I might just part with mine. It hasn't been used as much as it should have been and I picked up a used E-3 the other day (was a bargain at £269) so really have more bodies than I should. There is a limit on how much I can carry !

Regards

Peter

Andy Hewitt
Like?
In reply to Peterd21, Apr 1, 2013

Peterd21 wrote:

Well done Andy, hope you enjoy it - I love the 14-54.

Good to see you posting as I thought you had gone quiet but then again it isn't the weather as too damn cold even if sunny ..or am I being a wimp.

I had gone a bit quiet. Two reasons, I've found romance ;-), so have been rather distracted. And of course the weather has been awful for ages now, so I just haven't been out much lately. I did manage a couple of trips out recently, but nothing much new to show, as I'm just going out to regular haunts. I'll post a few once I get the new lens though.

If you do fancy an E-1 again let me know as I might just part with mine. It hasn't been used as much as it should have been and I picked up a used E-3 the other day (was a bargain at £269) so really have more bodies than I should. There is a limit on how much I can carry !

I might take you up on that. I know what you mean, and it's why I only have the E-420, it's a delight to carry about.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Andy Hewitt
Like?
It's here...
In reply to Andy Hewitt, Apr 4, 2013

It arrived yesterday, in very nice condition, and in original box.

I have only managed a couple of quick trips around the locale to get a feel for it.

First outing I got back with a few shots, and was a little disappointed at first, they weren't really as sharp as I was expecting. After a bit of thinking I went out again without the 1A filter attached, and it was much better.

It was a Jessops own brand Skylight filter that had been attached, and my Googling only confirmed my own experience - it's a flippin' awful filter. Many comments suggest it cuts light by over half a stop, and it made all the shots look a bit soft.

I can't afford a decent UV to go with this right now, so I'll probably take a chance without - I always use the hood anyway.

Here's a few boring shots I got anyway (all PP'd in Aperture):

Taken with the Jessops filter attached, check out that flare!

Also taken with the filter attached, although not too bad.

Taken without the filter.

Overall, once I removed the filter, the 14-54 does prove to be a bit sharper than the 'kit' 14-42 - although the difference is hard to pick out, and does show how good the kit lens actually is. I have even had to modify my standard sharpening preset in Aperture to accommodate.

I've now got the two kit lenses (a 14-42 and MkII 40-150) up on auction, as well as my Tamron 35-70 Macro (feel free to PM me if interested in the Uk ;-)), and my bases are now well covered with the 14-54 and Sigma 55-200. I'm also holding on to the old Korboron 60-300, as that does perform surprisingly well.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

PaulM2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,654
Like?
Re: It's here...
In reply to Andy Hewitt, Apr 4, 2013

Hi Andy,

Looking good.

There are two camps as far as the use of a protective filter. I have a nephew-in-law who is a pro photographer and his viewpoint on filters is "why put a on piece of glass that is most likely inferior to the glass lens on your camera".I have to agree with him up to a point.

Back in the P&S days and without a lens hood, it certainly made more sense than it does now on a DSLR with a Lens Hood..

I have found with my copy of the 14-54mm mk1 lens, that f/5.6-f/8.0 is the sweet spot and I try to shoot in Aperture, adjust the ISO for the shutter speed. I also shoot in RAW and develop in either
Lightzone or Sage light.

When you have the time, have a look at my pBase gallery and see some shots taken on a Camera Club hike last spring. All were shot with the E-1/14-54mm, no filter but a lens hood, again in RAW.  http://www.pbase.com/paulm2/letchworth_2012

But for your first outing, seems you are off to a great start.

Enjoy.

Paul

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads