The compact camera that makes you forget you DSLR

Started Mar 31, 2013 | User reviews
jafary
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
The compact camera that makes you forget you DSLR
Mar 31, 2013

I'm an ex Nikon dSLR user and I don't feel I've lost in the switch to the NEX-6. This camera has all the expert features you need. Basically you lose in AF speed, mainly in low light condition, (it is the case with all the mirrorless, including the over-hyped Olympus ones) and in menus usability (this is common to all Nex's) but the custom menu and Fn button are almost compensating for this weakness. But, the gain of compactness largely justifies the switch. I highly recommend the compact 16-50 kit lens that is so small and very capable, combined with the excellent 35mm F/1.8

jafary's gear list:jafary's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
jafary's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
acceptable
Action / sports
acceptable
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,409
Like?
Re: The compact camera that makes you forget you DSLR
In reply to jafary, Mar 31, 2013

Shouldn't you have some justification for 5 stars? You state two negatives in your short "review" and yet manage to give the camera a five star rating.  Either something is perfect or it's not.

Thank you
Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,681Gear list
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Mar 31, 2013

I agree its a fun camera, small, jam packed with every conceivable piece of technology, great for video, tiltable screen is handy,  cheap buttons and wheel detracts somewhat, hard to find menu items but that will change with time and familiarity.

AF is good, well supported by adapter makers and a huge range of high quality cheap manual lenses. EVF is superb and class leading.

It really is hard to fault for what its intended to do. I am very happy I got one put it that way.

Greg.

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,954
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Mar 31, 2013

Russell Evans wrote:

Shouldn't you have some justification for 5 stars? You state two negatives in your short "review" and yet manage to give the camera a five star rating.  Either something is perfect or it's not.

Thank you
Russell

Agreed.  If the camera is not perfect and I want to give it 4.8 stars what do I select?

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,213Gear list
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, Mar 31, 2013

Clayton1985 wrote:

Russell Evans wrote:

Nothing is perfect in this world.

Certainly when it comes to cameras.

Thank you
Russell

Agreed.  If the camera is not perfect and I want to give it 4.8 stars what do I select?

Nothing deserves 5 stars.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
jafary
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Apr 1, 2013

Like someone already said it, no camera is perfect, and following your logic, nothing deserves a 5-star rating then. But i think differently. If  a camera fulfills what I expect to do with it, and I like the results, then it deserves the maximum rating, even if I still notice few weaknesses. I'm really satisfied with this camera and i'm getting over these limitations, otherwise I would have returned or sold it. Of course I don't pretend it's the best camera in its category, but still among the best that all deserves 5 stars.

Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,087Gear list
Like?
In reply to jafary, Apr 1, 2013

jafary wrote:

Like someone already said it, no camera is perfect, and following your logic, nothing deserves a 5-star rating then. But i think differently. If  a camera fulfills what I expect to do with it, and I like the results, then it deserves the maximum rating, even if I still notice few weaknesses. I'm really satisfied with this camera and i'm getting over these limitations, otherwise I would have returned or sold it. Of course I don't pretend it's the best camera in its category, but still among the best that all deserves 5 stars.

Congratulations on sharing your enthusiasm!

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Russell Evans
Like?

jafary wrote:

Like someone already said it, no camera is perfect, and following your logic, nothing deserves a 5-star rating then. But i think differently. If  a camera fulfills what I expect to do with it, and I like the results, then it deserves the maximum rating, even if I still notice few weaknesses.

So the F3, 3n, 5n, 5r, and 6 should all have the same 5 stars, right? Same lenses, same sensor, so the results are the same. Your expectations would be different for each camera, as you know they have different features, so that negates any differences causing you to delete any star as you say, "the camera fulfills what you expect it to".  The logic for your rating system doesn't seem very useful to me.

I'm really satisfied with this camera and i'm getting over these limitations, otherwise I would have returned or sold it. Of course I don't pretend it's the best camera in its category, but still among the best that all deserves 5 stars.

So your reasoning really comes down to "I own it, therefore it is great".  That what this sentence says , doesn't it? "I'm really satisfied with this camera and i'm getting over these limitations, otherwise I would have returned or sold it."

Sorry, I'm going to have to think differently as well.

Thank you
Russell

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,213Gear list
Like?

Russell Evans wrote:

jafary wrote:

Like someone already said it, no camera is perfect, and following your logic, nothing deserves a 5-star rating then. But i think differently. If  a camera fulfills what I expect to do with it, and I like the results, then it deserves the maximum rating, even if I still notice few weaknesses.

So the F3, 3n, 5n, 5r, and 6 should all have the same 5 stars, right?

Or 4.8?  What number of stars do you think they all should get?

Same lenses, same sensor, so the results are the same.

The cameras aren't the same.  If the 5R focuses better, then perhaps it should get a higher score than the F3, for example.

Your expectations would be different for each camera, as you know they have different features, so that negates any differences causing you to delete any star as you say, "the camera fulfills what you expect it to".  The logic for your rating system doesn't seem very useful to me.

Well, most "star" rating systems are flawed like this.  It's still someone's personal opinion of how much they like something.  Sure, they might also like something else just as much which would also get 5 stars.  Not sure why you seem worked up over it.  It wasn't  presented as a real scientific analysis.

I'm really satisfied with this camera and i'm getting over these limitations, otherwise I would have returned or sold it. Of course I don't pretend it's the best camera in its category, but still among the best that all deserves 5 stars.

So your reasoning really comes down to "I own it, therefore it is great".  That what this sentence says , doesn't it? "I'm really satisfied with this camera and i'm getting over these limitations, otherwise I would have returned or sold it."

Since all cameras have limitations of one sort or another, is nothing worth 5 stars?  Or is nothing satisfying?

Of course, mere satisfaction is not evidence of a camera being "the best", but hopefully, each owner can be happy with what he has, or at least learn to work within the limitations.

For me, shopping for a camera ends up trying to find the compromises that bother me the least, for a given price range.  If a camera has compromises that don't bother me, then that's a win.  I've yet to see the perfect camera.  I see very expensive cameras that I'd never want due to price and size, but that doesn't mean that they aren't perfect for someone else.

Sorry, I'm going to have to think differently as well.

Me too.  I'm going for medium format.  

Thank you
Russell

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
shaolin95
Senior MemberPosts: 1,121Gear list
Like?
In reply to GaryW, Apr 1, 2013

Wow seriously...is all this BS comments about his 5 stars rating for real? Is people here so damn lame that they focus on such stupid thing?

I liked the review and dont give a damn about him using 5 stars or 20. Get a life for God's sake!

shaolin95's gear list:shaolin95's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Xperia Z Ultra +11 more
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,213
Like?

I'm hoping to find a used NEX 6 with kit lens soon. I also liked your enthusiasm, and I agree that the "discussions" about 5 stars versus 4.8, etc, are a waste of time.

I do want to ask about one thing you wrote: "Basically you lose in AF speed, mainly in low light condition(s)".....  Are you missing out on action shots because of slow focus speed with your NEX? I had hoped that the hjybrid autofocus (with PDAF, phase detection autofocus) would allow very fast autofocus. Is this not happening for you?

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,866Gear list
Like?
In reply to bill hansen, Apr 1, 2013

Under low light, low contrast conditions, every camera loses AF performance and especially with slower lenses. NEX would too. For low light action, or for action in general, where NEX currently lacks, the solution is in LA-EA2/A-mount lenses. I prefer native E-mount/legacy lens on NEX (in my case, the good old 3) for most photography. But to shoot action with reach, I go EA2 w/Minolta 200G.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
Just another fanboy 'opinion'

To the OP:  Mirrorless cameras make me thankful I still have my DSLR.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +40 more
BennyKingston
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?
Re: Just another fanboy 'opinion'
In reply to GodSpeaks, Apr 1, 2013

GodSpeaks wrote:

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

The post speaks to the size quality ratio, which after a month shooting in London I can say is stunning at the least.  Unless one wants to wheel around a pelican case and an assistant. I had my Mamiya with me as well.

The NEX system is pretty great as proven out in the field for me for what it is.

I don't shoot sports where very fast AF is necessary and I do agree that Sony should get on the ball with glass.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,866Gear list
Like?
Re: Just another fanboy 'opinion'
In reply to BennyKingston, Apr 1, 2013

BennyKingston wrote:

GodSpeaks wrote:

-- hide signature --

- Rayna Butler

The post speaks to the size quality ratio, which after a month shooting in London I can say is stunning at the least.  Unless one wants to wheel around a pelican case and an assistant. I had my Mamiya with me as well.

The NEX system is pretty great as proven out in the field for me for what it is.

I don't shoot sports where very fast AF is necessary and I do agree that Sony should get on the ball with glass.

At least with NEX, one has the option to do so:

NEX-3, EA2, Minolta 200mm f/2.8 G (ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/640s)

Along with the advantage of keeping the gear weight and bulk down, as necessary.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Russell Evans
Like?
In reply to shaolin95, Apr 1, 2013

shaolin95 wrote:

Wow seriously...is all this BS comments about his 5 stars rating for real? Is people here so damn lame that they focus on such stupid thing?

I liked the review and dont give a damn about him using 5 stars or 20. Get a life for God's sake!

I ate sushi the other day and the fortune in the fortune cookie said, "Rude and strong words are a sign of a weak argument".  Or maybe it said "weak mind"? I can't quite remember.

The irony of your comments is that you too are commenting on the 5 star ranking. You're like a monkey throwing poop, some poop may actually come my way, but most the stink stays with you.

Thank you
Russell

Tckay
Regular MemberPosts: 464
Like?
In reply to shaolin95, Apr 1, 2013

Blimey. Positivity??? Let's slam it. Actually praising a camera in it's own forum? Who is the fool? Ban him!

Russell Evans
Like?
In reply to Tckay, Apr 1, 2013

Tckay wrote:

Blimey. Positivity??? Let's slam it. Actually praising a camera in it's own forum? Who is the fool? Ban him!

Taking it to a bit of an extreme aren't you? You don't want to get the reputation of being a drama queen, people will stop responding to your posts if you do. There really isn't a way to talk to a DQ. They talk at you, so it is pointless to try to have a conversation about anything they don't already know for a fact and they know everything for a fact. You don't want to be like that? You want people to talk to you like you are an adult, right? There is always room for disagreement, but you need to communicate clearly your reasons for being in disagreement, not throw out some emotional plea like a misunderstood teen. So would you like to try again? This time putting some thought into your post?

Thank you
Russell

jafary
Like?

I tried to shoot a college baseball and lacrosse games, and my active son, and it is possible to get sharp images with this setup, but the keepers rate is low. I got the best results when I shoot in drive mode, continuous AF, and with a PDAF compatible lens (the SEL55-210). And you need some efforts from your side, by trying to predict where to prefocus. I always think that photographers always succeeded in getting sharp pictures before AF was even invented, so there's  surely a way with a limited capability AF of the NEX-6

But for sure that current technology in DSLR have spoiled us, especially when I look at what pro-DSLR are capable of doing.

Russell Evans
Like?

bill hansen wrote:

I'm hoping to find a used NEX 6 with kit lens soon. I also liked your enthusiasm, and I agree that the "discussions" about 5 stars versus 4.8, etc, are a waste of time.

I do want to ask about one thing you wrote: "Basically you lose in AF speed, mainly in low light condition(s)".....  Are you missing out on action shots because of slow focus speed with your NEX? I had hoped that the hjybrid autofocus (with PDAF, phase detection autofocus) would allow very fast autofocus. Is this not happening for you?

Bill, I'm interested in the Nex-6. That's why I'm reading the review. Like you, I have questions. What I was trying to determine is if they were worth asking of the OP. I don't know the OP, so I don't know what criteria he is using to judge by, and his five star rating seems suspect as I wouldn't give any camera I own 5 stars. I've known lots people where the latest thing is great and oh so groovy until it suddenly isn't, so yes I'm a little skeptical. I think the OP judges things a lot differently than I do so, I don't think I can use his opinion to help me determine if the 6 is really a camera I want to buy. I'm sorry this is an issue.  Next time I'm just not post anything an let people go about in their perfect world, until it suddenly isn't.

Thank you
Russell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads