Bird in flight with D90

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions
Huyen Olson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,312
Like?
Bird in flight with D90
Mar 31, 2013

Here are a couple of pictures taken with the Sigma 70-300 IS.

Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,873Gear list
Like?
Re: Bird in flight with D90
In reply to Huyen Olson, Apr 1, 2013

You are going to have to meter with consideration for the sky.  The white background detracts from your excellent sighting.  How did you meter the scene?

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Huyen Olson
Like?
In reply to Brev00, Apr 1, 2013

Sorry to have to disappoint you but it was an overcast day and the sky was nothing but just white!  I was trying to learn to catch the bird in flight for the first time, to my surprise, it wasn't too bad in my opinion.

the Mtn Man
Regular MemberPosts: 144
Like?

I agree with the previous poster.  Even an overcast sky should have some texture in it and not be entirely blown out.  Plus the critters and other elements in the image look to be overexposed as well.

However, your framing and timing is quite good.

Huyen Olson
Like?
In reply to the Mtn Man, Apr 1, 2013

The reason why I set my camera the way I did because the sky was boring and white, no texture of anykind to say the least and I did not want to get anything else but just the bird.  The bird was high in the sky and with the 70-300 I was able to zoom in to get these shots.  I don't understand why you think the bird is washed, that's the color of it.  Lots of white and some reddish brown, mostly white from her chest down.

By the way AF-C, metering set on Dynamic wide.

If you have more tips, I sure could use some, since I intend to go back this coming thursday.  These were my first shots of birds in flight.

Thank you

AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?

Even though the sky is blown, I actually think it works really well in these shots!!

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Huyen Olson
Like?
In reply to AngryCorgi, Apr 1, 2013

Is this april's fool?  and you are so kind to give a compliment after 2 previous strikes.  Thank you.

Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,873Gear list
Like?

Huyen Olson wrote:

Is this april's fool?  and you are so kind to give a compliment after 2 previous strikes.  Thank you.

You don't have to consider a critical comment a strike and a compliment a hit.  In either case, the observer is pointing out something in the image.  In my case, I was hoping to have you look at your exposure settings and see if there are other possibilities to explore in terms of metering, shutter speed, etc.  The more recent viewer found the image to his liking with the white background as it is.  My point is not right or wrong, good or bad, but choice.  Do you know what you can do to get different effects?  Getting a good tip can be a lot more helpful than a pat on the back.  In my own experience, if I post images here just to get compliments, I have come to the wrong place.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brev00

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
Huyen Olson
Like?

Thank you for your comments, that said, since you brought it up, I take it you didn't see my previous post.  It was my choice to take pictures the way I did.  I set my camera to aperture priority to blur the background as much as possible so only the bird would be focussed.   I will post another picture with a different altitude and would like your opinion on it as well, if you don't mind.

Cheers

Huyen Olson
Like?

According to what you said in regard to a pad in the back, I sincerely hope you didn't think that's what I was looking for.  As you see in my case, it was my intention to set my camera the way I did following my fellow photographers that day (there were 14 of us).  We were told what and how to set and when the were released, we started shooting.  We were also told that since the sky is boring, just set at aperture priority F5.0 to F6. max.  and adjust the EC and so on.  I would love to get some tips from you if you would share with me and I will definitely take to my photography club in my city and share with my fellow photographers.

Thanks again

Will post the next photo and hope you can give me some comments on it, really!

AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?

Huyen Olson wrote:

Hahaha...no, I was not joking.  I normally hate blown highlights, but in this case I like how it turned out.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Huyen Olson
Like?
In reply to AngryCorgi, Apr 1, 2013

In this case, thank you.

pixd90
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208Gear list
Like?

Huyen Olson wrote:

According to what you said in regard to a pad in the back, I sincerely hope you didn't think that's what I was looking for.  As you see in my case, it was my intention to set my camera the way I did following my fellow photographers that day (there were 14 of us).  We were told what and how to set and when the were released, we started shooting.  We were also told that since the sky is boring, just set at aperture priority F5.0 to F6. max.  and adjust the EC and so on.  I would love to get some tips from you if you would share with me and I will definitely take to my photography club in my city and share with my fellow photographers.

Thanks again

Will post the next photo and hope you can give me some comments on it, really!

I have gone out shooting using my D90 with groups accompanied by professional;s shooting with D800 or Canon 5DMKIII. Keep in mind that the advice they give is sometimes for their cameras and they entirely different results.

I use spot metering, 250-275 focal length, AF-C and 4.5 FPS. Just try to fill the frame.

pixd90's gear list:pixd90's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
the Mtn Man
Like?

Huyen Olson wrote:

The reason why I set my camera the way I did because the sky was boring and white, no texture of anykind to say the least and I did not want to get anything else but just the bird.  The bird was high in the sky and with the 70-300 I was able to zoom in to get these shots.  I don't understand why you think the bird is washed, that's the color of it.  Lots of white and some reddish brown, mostly white from her chest down.

By the way AF-C, metering set on Dynamic wide.

If you have more tips, I sure could use some, since I intend to go back this coming thursday.  These were my first shots of birds in flight.

Thank you

Well I've never seen a perfectly white sky in nature before, and at least in your first shot, the lighter parts of the bird are blending in the with the sky which is why it stood out to me as an overexposure.  Not that I'm a metering expert, but I would suggest next time you spot meter the bird and either zero it out or give it maybe +1/2 to +1 EV.

nfpotter
Senior MemberPosts: 4,072
Like?

While you had some good timing on those, your shots are completely over-exposed, and based upon the way that you have stated things, I believe you need to learn some basic photography stuff (starting with exposure).  It will be worth it.

Huyen Olson
Like?
In reply to pixd90, Apr 1, 2013

Thanks, but in the past when I tried to use the spot metering, my bird came out quite blurry, so we were told to set on dynamic wide for the large wings span.  As you can see from my second image, this bird is a harris hawk, and it wasn't a large bird, small with very large wingspan.

Huyen Olson
Like?
Re: Here is another pic
In reply to Brev00, Apr 2, 2013

Same day, same time, this time just a different bird, an owl.  Looking at it, please tell me how I should set so the colors on the bird stays exactly the same, not darker or lighter.  This is is true color.  My Dlighting was set to off, may be this is not a good idea?

Straight out of my camera.  Thanks for your advice in advance.

the Mtn Man
Like?
In reply to Huyen Olson, Apr 2, 2013

Huyen Olson wrote:

Thanks, but in the past when I tried to use the spot metering, my bird came out quite blurry, so we were told to set on dynamic wide for the large wings span.  As you can see from my second image, this bird is a harris hawk, and it wasn't a large bird, small with very large wingspan.

Spot metering has nothing to do with autofocus.  You seem very confused about terminology.  The meter, basically, tells you how much light will hit the imaging surface when you take the picture.  You'll see it in the viewfinder as a little scale that looks something like

-2..-1..0..+1..+2

Nikon cameras have three metering systems: matrix, center-weighted, and spot.  Refer to your manual if you want an explanation of the differences.  Spot metering is recommended for zeroing in on a very small area of the scene to get an accurate reading.

It also strikes me as odd that someone would tell you how to set your camera since exposure settings can vary significantly depending on lens, focal length, ISO, etc.  I find it hard to believe that anybody could have given a "one size fits all" exposure setting that would work equally well for everyone in the group (unless you all happened to have identical equipment).

Huyen Olson
Like?
In reply to the Mtn Man, Apr 2, 2013

have to been to Tucson this time of year?  Today the sky is like a big white curtain, no texture.  I just posted another picture of a different bird and the color of the bird is exactly what I saw up close that day.  By the way, the fine tune optimal exposure was set at +3/6.  May be that's the problem?

Huyen Olson
Like?
In reply to nfpotter, Apr 2, 2013

I think I figured it out why, my fine tune optical exposure was set at +3/6 instead of lower.  This will brighten up everything including the white sky.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads