New Epson 3540_AUTO firmware update & blocking non OEM carts?

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions
printwoeman
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
New Epson 3540_AUTO firmware update & blocking non OEM carts?
Mar 31, 2013

Wasn't aware of this issue, but seems to have been around a good while.

Need some guidance / advice on this - please.

Epson - probably others - using firmware updates to make it hard / impossible to use compatibles or refillable carts.  I planned on refillables.  Found quite a few posts -now that I know about it, going back yrs.

Just installed WF-3540 few days ago & chose wireless connection (maybe bad choice).  Soon as it finished installing software / drivers, it IMMEDIATELY started "checking for newer firmware."  No warning; no option to do it now, later or never; no Stop or Cancel.  Just did it - & finished in < 1 min.  "Said" it installed new firmware.

Now, I find out this often causes problems w/ using non OEM carts.

What are my options?  I don't know whether to take this unit back, get another & start over.  Don't THINK there's a way to roll back firmware.

Other than buying a / some compatibles & checking, how would one know?  Doubt I'll invest in a refillable kit, just to find out, then be out that $.

Occurred to me that choosing ethernet or USB conn. vs Wireless could prevent it from accessing internet, at will.  For wireless setup, have to enter router's PW.  I don't know the answer.  At least w/ ethernet, you could disconnect internet immediately after install, then set up FW rules to deny all Epson files access.

Thanks for any suggestions.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
printwoeman
Like?
Re: New Epson 3540_AUTO firmware update & blocking non OEM carts?
In reply to printwoeman, Mar 31, 2013

BTW, on this newer software, there was no "custom installation" option; no choice (AFAIK) to choose non default install location.

Some have mentioned disabling software & firmware updates from Epson prtr tray icon.  1) like closing the barn door after horses are out - for me.  Guess Epson's getting wiser & doing update before one has chance to stop it.

2) In this version, there's no option if R click tray icon, to decline firmware updates (if there ever was).  Again, Epson may be wising up.

I DO see in Kaspersky FW, an "Epson firmware updater" file.  I denied it access, but it's already done the update.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
camerashy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,503Gear list
Like?
In reply to printwoeman, Apr 1, 2013

Any comments on this post please

Dave

-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

camerashy's gear list:camerashy's gear list
Nikon D800
Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,846
Like?
The OP is just paranoid...
In reply to camerashy, Apr 1, 2013

camerashy wrote:

Any comments on this post please

Dave

-- hide signature --

pbase supporter at www.pbase.com/dav4184
for equipment see profile

There hasn't been any reports that any Epson firmware upgrades disables using 3rd party refillable cartridges.  Many of us have recently upgraded our R3000 printers to the latest firmware and driver and all is good with our refillable cartridges.

Could it happen sure, but not yet.

Bob P.

printwoeman
Like?
Re: The OP is just paranoid...
In reply to Petruska, Apr 1, 2013

Thanks Petruska,

I'd appreciate any feedback on questions below.

I hope you're & others are right.  There were quite a few posts on this - but not from say, last few months (early 2013).

This from Jan, '12:  http://www.wasteink.co.uk/epson-firmware-update-compatible-problem/#comments

Other retail sites still have (outdated??) warnings:  http://www.opusproinks.co.uk/epson-printer-firmware-update/

I don't know that trying ONE compatible cart in my WF-3540 would give reliable results.  Read many times in the past, not suggested to mix OEM & compatible carts.  Don't know how accurate that is.  So many models, brands, software / firmware variables.

Trying one compatible MIGHT work, but could fail from mixing OEM / compatibles.  I could try a whole compatible set, from a better quality seller, that will refund $ if they don't work.

I'm open to suggestions on retailers w/ quality Epson compatibles & good refund policy.  In past for HP02 compatibles, I've used LD Products & seemed to work well.  But I'm not married to them.  Their page for Epson T127 carts:  http://www.ldproducts.com/catalog.php?path=search.results&keywords=epson+127&x=0&y=0

Thanks.

printwoeman
Like?
In reply to printwoeman, Apr 2, 2013

Hey, I just noticed Petrova called me paranoid!  Why, I oughta...

"If someone's really trying to get you, it's not paranoia."

Seriously, shouldn't change post subjects to something derogatory, just because they ask a question.

You mentioned refillables but I also asked about compatibles.  Either way, web & numerous ink supply sites have warnings - so it's worth asking.

Also spoke w/ company I've bought ink from for HPs (& did well).  They admitted a lot of Epsons have trouble recognizing compatible chips.  For anyone interested, they say they reman OEM Epson T127 carts (assume others) & reset original chips, then test.

Petruska
Like?
Paranoid is actually a nice term....
In reply to printwoeman, Apr 2, 2013

printwoeman wrote:

Hey, I just noticed Petrova called me paranoid!  Why, I oughta...

"If someone's really trying to get you, it's not paranoia."

Seriously, shouldn't change post subjects to something derogatory, just because they ask a question.

You mentioned refillables but I also asked about compatibles.  Either way, web & numerous ink supply sites have warnings - so it's worth asking.

Also spoke w/ company I've bought ink from for HPs (& did well).  They admitted a lot of Epsons have trouble recognizing compatible chips.  For anyone interested, they say they reman OEM Epson T127 carts (assume others) & reset original chips, then test.

Yah, that "Petrova" guy, whoever he is!

Definition...

"exhibiting undue suspicion".

There may be some truth to firmware upgrades affecting 3rd party cartridges, but I have yet to see any with the 6-8 Epson I have owned over time.  Jtoolman here currently owns and operates 15 printers and most of them are Epsons and I don't think he ever had a problem with a firmware upgrade knocking out his 3rd party cartridges.

I do notice that where it seems to happen is a non-USA version of the printers.  Maybe us US owners are just more lucky with China chips!

All I can tell you is that you just need to buy some carts and see what happens.  That's the way we do it around here.

Bob P.

printwoeman
Like?
In reply to Petruska, Apr 3, 2013

Thanks Petruska.

It's good to hear many Epson users aren't having problems after firmware updates.  In spite of your ? good natured ? ribbing about paranoia, this problem WAS widely documented & cautioned as recently as 2012.  Several large inksellers still have the bold warnings, though may be outdated.   No idea why they aren't removed, if issue is fixed.

My direct communication w/ several inksellers in last few days, showed the problem was indeed real, but seems some reman'd / refillable mfgs  (once again) came up w/ NEW style chips to overcome Epson's efforts to prevent using aftermarket carts.  Of course, this took some time.

My advice to others w/ new printers, looking to buy aftermarket carts for 1st time, is check directly w/ the seller about this, before buying - unless you like wasting time buying, then returning items.  Check their written warranty & return policy; who pays return shipping if carts don't work.

BTW, on my new WF-3540 & latest d/l of full software pkg, the AUTOmatic firmware updater file, designed to run DURING installation, was in the extracted installer's temp files path (in Vista):

c:\users\<username>\appdata\local\temp\epson wf-3540 series\firmware\resource\fwd395tl\epfwupd.exe.  Kaspersky identified it as "Epson Firmware Updater."

[True] Paranoia is a disease... not a "nice term."

"...basic rules for discussions on dpreview.com are simple: be polite and civil; do not be offensive, malicious or antagonistic;..."

Petruska
Like?
One reason that we don't hear much about the issue...
In reply to printwoeman, Apr 3, 2013

printwoeman wrote:

Thanks Petruska.

It's good to hear many Epson users aren't having problems after firmware updates.  In spite of your ? good natured ? ribbing about paranoia, this problem WAS widely documented & cautioned as recently as 2012.  Several large inksellers still have the bold warnings, though may be outdated.   No idea why they aren't removed, if issue is fixed.

My direct communication w/ several inksellers in last few days, showed the problem was indeed real, but seems some reman'd / refillable mfgs  (once again) came up w/ NEW style chips to overcome Epson's efforts to prevent using aftermarket carts.  Of course, this took some time.

My advice to others w/ new printers, looking to buy aftermarket carts for 1st time, is check directly w/ the seller about this, before buying - unless you like wasting time buying, then returning items.  Check their written warranty & return policy; who pays return shipping if carts don't work.

BTW, on my new WF-3540 & latest d/l of full software pkg, the AUTOmatic firmware updater file, designed to run DURING installation, was in the extracted installer's temp files path (in Vista):

c:\users\<username>\appdata\local\temp\epson wf-3540 series\firmware\resource\fwd395tl\epfwupd.exe.  Kaspersky identified it as "Epson Firmware Updater."

[True] Paranoia is a disease... not a "nice term."

"...basic rules for discussions on dpreview.com are simple: be polite and civil; do not be offensive, malicious or antagonistic;..."

is that on this DPR forum, 99.9% of the printer discussions are about higher end Canon and Epson single function photo printers. I don't believe that we ever had a post where firmware affected 3rd party cartridge chips with this class of printers.  Not too many posts about multi-function printers and especially refilling them.

Bob P.

Melusine
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: One reason that we don't hear much about the issue...
In reply to Petruska, Jun 17, 2013

Ok.. newbie question here (And I don't seem to find the answer with my friend google)... How do you know what firmware version you have on your 3540 printer ?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads