Off Camera Flash

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions
Wateraddict
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
Off Camera Flash
Mar 31, 2013

What type of off camera flash are some of you using for the K5 ? Was just reading a few books of Scott Kelby's and he talks a bit about sync the camera to an off camera flash . I would imagine this is probably possible on the K5 . Just wondering what a good starter flash would be or what would be recomended by some of you ?

Wateraddict's gear list:Wateraddict's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,523
Like?
Re: Off Camera Flash
In reply to Wateraddict, Mar 31, 2013

Wateraddict wrote:

What type of off camera flash are some of you using for the K5 ? Was just reading a few books of Scott Kelby's and he talks a bit about sync the camera to an off camera flash . I would imagine this is probably possible on the K5 . Just wondering what a good starter flash would be or what would be recomended by some of you ?

You'll get recommendations about third party flash guns: I'l leave that to others.  Of the Pentax units the AF-540 FGZ is much the best although it's relatively expensive.  Whatever brand you buy, I strongly recommend that you get one with a swivel head: it's really frustrating if you can't point your flash gun where you want it.

If you've been readingKelby, do you know of David Hobby?  His website is a store of useful information about flash http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2006/03/lighting-101.html

You can sync from your K-5 either by using a sync lead, wireless triggers, light triggers or the inbuilt wireless flash system.  The inbuilt system has the big advantage that it's free but (a) its range is limited to about 4m to the off-camera flash gun and (b) it might not work with some third party guns.

Light triggers are (in my experience) a pain but might be worth trying if you want more range at low cost.  After that there are plenty of options but at some sort of cost.

For what I do the inbuilt system works fine.  It uses the onboard flash to trigger the other(s) and you can't turn its output down to zero (as you can with, say, Nikon).  What I do is mount a home-made diffuser on the front of the lens: this reduces or removes harsh shadows if I keep some output from the onboasrd or acts as a handy holder for a bit of black card if I want to cut it out (the light still triggers the remote unit(s)).

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,500Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gerry Winterbourne, Apr 1, 2013

I agree with Gerry.

Personally, wireless P-TTL using the pop-up to trigger the off-camera flash has been effective in some cases, but can be a frustrating until you it set up correctly and start getting successful exposures. The user might be at fault here...

I MUCH prefer manual mode with wireless triggers, like for studio flashes.

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,725Gear list
Like?
In reply to miles green, Apr 1, 2013

miles green wrote:

I agree with Gerry.

Personally, wireless P-TTL using the pop-up to trigger the off-camera flash has been effective in some cases, but can be a frustrating until you it set up correctly and start getting successful exposures. The user might be at fault here...

http://www.aokatec.com/AK-TTL.html

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +20 more
Gerry Winterbourne
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,523
Like?
In reply to miles green, Apr 1, 2013

miles green wrote:

I agree with Gerry.

Hi Miles.  I'm not arguing, but for the OP I should mention that the inbuilt wireless system supports all the methods on the gun: P-TTL, A and M and (I think) HSS.  Using two sources (onboard + one gun) or three sources (onboard + two guns) you need to use M to be to balance the light from different directions, so I've always used that mode.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads