Need a Non-Dorky Looking Camera Bag for NEX

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions
NomadMark
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?
Re: Need a Non-Dorky Looking Camera Bag for NEX
In reply to capt bob, Apr 1, 2013

I still say Think Tank. I love mine. Small size, but fits with lens mounted, along with four more lenses in the bag with room for batteries and cards. Or my RX1, 7, and two lenses + extras. Has a waterproof cover attached inside, and tons of stash pockets. And, I think it looks pretty cool. Also comes in black.

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
uhligfd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,279
Like?
In reply to Richie Beans, Apr 2, 2013

Richie Beans wrote:

The diaper bag might work if travelling through South Detroit... or Romanian Gypsy Country. A Walmart backpack is totally out of the question....as is anything that can be slit from behind while on a crowded subway.

Dear Ritchie,

the cognescenti in South Detroit  or the south side Chicago or in north-west Kuala Lumpur know to wear their backpacks on the chest.

Where have you been?

Gorpalm
Regular MemberPosts: 185Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richie Beans, Apr 7, 2013

Have a look at the Manfrotto Unica range, pretty yet can be discreet in black, versatile, strap adjusts to cross body length for extra security, comes in range of subtle-to-bright colours, and sizes. No big logos or whatnot plastered across it. I've got the smallest Unica 1, fits my Nex w lens, a prime, a travel zoom cam, wallet, keys, smart phone, water bottle, 9" tablet (latter w its own internal compartment).

-- hide signature --

Gordy

Gorpalm's gear list:Gorpalm's gear list
Canon ELPH 100 HS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm X10 Samsung WB250F Olympus PEN E-PL1 +2 more
joe talks photography
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Re: Need to Embrace Your Reality
In reply to Richie Beans, Apr 7, 2013

Richie Beans wrote:

I'm looking for a camera bag that will hold my NEX, a couple of lenses, batteries, and adapters. Could also have extra space to hold a map book, a water bottle, and a small umbrella. Most important, it cannot have logos that scream "Steal Me", or make me look like The Ultimate Dorky Touron ....any one have any ideas? It might not even have to a "camera bag", per se. No backpacks need apply. Or hip bags.

Interesting that you don't want to look like a dork but you want to disguise the fact that you apparently are one. Bad perception of other people wanting to do the same thing. My advice; carry a large woman's pocketbook. I got just the thing for you.

http://couture.zappos.com/furla-handbags-candy-bag-dragon-fruit

-- hide signature --

Joe

blakninja
Regular MemberPosts: 129
Like?
In reply to capt bob, Apr 7, 2013
dshin525
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
Re: Need to Embrace Your Reality
In reply to joe talks photography, Apr 7, 2013

I just picked up incase dslr sling.

I got the camo version b/c I wanted something a little different vs plain black/gray

Easily fits my Nex mounted with a lens, along with 6 legacy lenses. I had extra dividers so that each is in its own slot.

Another one that caught my eye was http://fstopgear.com/product/millar/brooklyn-sling#.UWF80r_svWE

Both are around $90.

-- hide signature --
Shiroa
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
In reply to capt bob, Apr 7, 2013

Any crumpler fans out here or am I on my own? This bag is perfecttt!! It has paddings that makes you feel like you can carry an egg around the world without breaking it. It withstand rain very well, pretty comfortable on the shoulder, not very dorky if you get the black one

CorduroyTrees
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to Shiroa, Apr 7, 2013

I went for this tactical bag:

It's made for small firearms or something like that.  Water-resistent interior.  Holds my 5R, plus 2-3 lenses along with extra batteris, charges, straps, etc. And it's cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TWZGRI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 4,039
Like?
In reply to CorduroyTrees, Apr 7, 2013

Some great options here.

I personally have a Swiss Gear that I found from Target and was sitting around doing nothing.

Works great and was already handy.  Now I normally don't go "out" with my bag, used more for transport to and from.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

cwood
Contributing MemberPosts: 639
Like?
In reply to davect01, Apr 7, 2013

prior post on my slingshot from Lowepro.  I have since gone up a size to the 200.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3345241

Shiroa
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
In reply to Shiroa, Apr 8, 2013

Shiroa wrote:

Any crumpler fans out here or am I on my own? This bag is perfecttt!! It has paddings that makes you feel like you can carry an egg around the world without breaking it. It withstand rain very well, pretty comfortable on the shoulder, not very dorky if you get the black one

Rob Sims
Regular MemberPosts: 479Gear list
Like?
In reply to dannytang, Apr 8, 2013

dannytang wrote:

+1 on the Passport Sling.

I currently have my NEX-5N with 35/1.8 mounted, along with the kit lens, 50/1.8 and 19/2.8 in the padded compartment. I also have spare batteries, spare SD cards, remote, flash, and EVF in the pockets.

+2 on the Passport sling.  Recently bought after seaching for ages for the right back.  Have a small cupboard filled with previous bag purchase which were close but always fell short somehow (eg. too small/large, no extra storage space, geekly looking - and hence thief attracting... etc)

I currently have 1x NEX-5N also with 35/1.8 and next to it a NEX-6 with 10-18/4.0, both side by side in the padded section at the front. Nice comfortable fit allows me to reach in and grab the required camera quickly and then replace without drawing attention to any expensive gear I might be carrying around.  The non-padded back section is perfect for storing stuff you generally have on holiday (eg. sunscreen, snacks) and can be expanded by unzipping the back to make space for say a jumper or raincoat.  The side pockets perfect for a folder up umbrella, water bottle and tourist map.  They are not secured with zips though, so don't go putting passports or wallets in there though!

Most of the reviews from Amazon are from people with single DSLR, but I find the size perfect for 2 small NEX.  If I get a chance later this week I'll take a photo showing the relative size compared to NEX cameras.

Rob Sims's gear list:Rob Sims's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +9 more
RustierOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,768Gear list
Like?
In reply to Richie Beans, Apr 8, 2013

Richie Beans wrote:

I'm looking for a camera bag that will hold my NEX, a couple of lenses, batteries, and adapters. Could also have extra space to hold a map book, a water bottle, and a small umbrella. Most important, it cannot have logos that scream "Steal Me", or make me look like The Ultimate Dorky Touron ....any one have any ideas? It might not even have to a "camera bag", per se. No backpacks need apply. Or hip bags.

I'm using the Tamrac Velocity Photo Sling Pack and find it convenient to use:

http://www.tamrac.com/frame_velocity.htm

It uses the Modular Accessory System (M.A.S.) where you can attach up to two lens cases to the sides for additional flexibility in equipment.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
Russ

RustierOne's gear list:RustierOne's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +3 more
Andyc2000
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
In reply to RustierOne, Apr 8, 2013

I like that UTG bag - may have gone for that myself, but managed to get one of those National Geographic 'Earth Explorer' bags for half price. As a bag it works really well with plenty of storage options.

bparanoid
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?

I am loving my TIMBUK2 Custom Messenger Bag. I ended up ordering a custom bag along with the snoop insert rather than purchasing one of their pre-made ones as they have limited color combos.

Snoop Messenger Bag

Snoop Insert

This is my custom bag. Combo was Herringbone-Gunmetal Waxed Canvas-Herringbone

bparanoid's gear list:bparanoid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
saintz
Regular MemberPosts: 499Gear list
Like?

Search around for "Stealth Camera Bag". I think that fits your requirements, as you can fit basically any gear and accessories, reasonably priced, it's "cool", but doesn't scream steal me. Just grab your preferred bag and add a padded divider.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007CRUDGA/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GWF3P4/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

saintz's gear list:saintz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
mrozowjj
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?

I don't want to hijack but I also don't want to start a second post on camera bags.

I'm looking for a small bag/case that is waterproof that will fit/protect the camera with an attached lens from getting dinged around too much. I shoot competitively and I want to be able to stuff the camera in my range bag without adding too much bulk but most of the matches are outdoors and weather can change in an instant so protecting it from rain, snow or dust is paramount.

It'd be even more fantastic if the small bag could be part of a larger modular bag so when I'm not at the range I could put the small case inside the large case that has storage for an extra lens or two.

mrozowjj's gear list:mrozowjj's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
capt bob
Senior MemberPosts: 1,618Gear list
Like?
In reply to CorduroyTrees, Apr 9, 2013

CorduroyTrees wrote:

I went for this tactical bag:

It's made for small firearms or something like that.  Water-resistent interior.  Holds my 5R, plus 2-3 lenses along with extra batteris, charges, straps, etc. And it's cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TWZGRI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What did you use to Isolate the Lenses ? I bought a 5.11Tactical bag  at the Gun shop couple weeks ago becuase it had a unique top drop pocket that My 5 N fit perfect in with 16-50

but still left the bottom open for my Six and a Lens but being a non Camera bag noting to protect the bottom or lenses , I have seen "packs inserts" out of China but curious as to what you used that is about the spittin image of mine , I still have the Dorky teardrop one I posted up earlier but the 5.11 is smaller and lighter, BTW I like the desert sand color Matches my SCAR.

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +25 more
mrozowjj
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kaustubhpa, Apr 9, 2013

Kaustubhpa wrote:

This Tamrac Jazz 76 totally does it for me.

http://www.tamrac.com/4276.htm

It slings out perfectly for easy access to my NEX-6 + 2 additional lenses, and still has room for more stuff in the top shelf.

imho a sling is a lot more convenient than a shoulder / messenger bag, but to each his own.

I really like the look of that bag. I kind of wish it came in different colors and maybe a tad smaller.

mrozowjj's gear list:mrozowjj's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads