Keeping my D 7000

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions
BILLY 0F THE NORTH
Regular MemberPosts: 402Gear list
Like?
Keeping my D 7000
Mar 31, 2013

It's shots like this that make me want to keep my D7000 and not spend the extra money to upgrade to a D7100.

-- hide signature --

Bill Romer

BILLY 0F THE NORTH's gear list:BILLY 0F THE NORTH's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +1 more
Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pixelless
Contributing MemberPosts: 612
Like?
Re: Keeping my D 7000
In reply to BILLY 0F THE NORTH, Mar 31, 2013

I also have an d7000 and am not upgrading either. But to be honest with you, your shot doesn´t look sharp at all. You probably got some motion blur there due to the 1/125s shutter speed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ShawnR
Regular MemberPosts: 423
Like?

What is in front of the camera, and behind the camera, is of greater importance.

-- hide signature --

Shawn R McEntee

Crashton
Regular MemberPosts: 497Gear list
Like?

Billy it's obvious your D7000 is no turkey. I've been thinking about the D7100 a lot, the AF system is what is enticing me. That being said I love my D7000 & will continue to so. It's a keeper.

Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Danel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,904Gear list
Like?
In reply to Crashton, Mar 31, 2013

I'm keeping my D7000 for now, but there is a D7100 in my future.  Honestly, I just don't want to spend the money right now.  I'm self employed and this is the time of year I have to catch up with my income taxes.  As we roll into summer I'll trade my D7000 in for a D7100.  I don't really need the D7100 for anything that I can't do with the D7000, but I'm in to having the new technology and it does seem to be a great camera.

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
bravozulu
Contributing MemberPosts: 886Gear list
Like?
In reply to Danel, Mar 31, 2013

Me too. I've owned Leicas. I had use of the company Hasselblads. I owned a 4x5 view camera with a Schneider lens. So quality was always near at hand.

Not far from my home is the Hollywood home store of Samys Camera. A 4-story building that attracts professionals from the studios and media. A virtual candy store of optical treats. One of the sales guys was selling me a Custom Bracket and we talked about the newly-released D7100.

He pointed to a very large print hanging on the wall. It measured 4ft x 5ft. It was shot with a D7000. He said, "That's what 16.4Mp buys you. Who could want more?" Certainly not me.

Oh, and I'm keeping my wife, too. Hey, I paid for all those shoes and want to capitalize on my investment.

bravozulu's gear list:bravozulu's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Danel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,904Gear list
Like?
lol
In reply to bravozulu, Mar 31, 2013

bravozulu wrote:

Oh, and I'm keeping my wife, too. Hey, I paid for all those shoes and want to capitalize on my investment.

Great line, and a good way to think about marriage.

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 3,439Gear list
Like?
In reply to BILLY 0F THE NORTH, Apr 1, 2013

It's shots like this that make me think of soup.

Ray Soares
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,064Gear list
Like?
lol +1! nt
In reply to bravozulu, Apr 1, 2013
-- hide signature --

Ray Soares
See my pictures at www.pbase.com/raysoares

Ray Soares's gear list:Ray Soares's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +1 more
wlad
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465
Like?
fallacious reasoning
In reply to BILLY 0F THE NORTH, Apr 1, 2013

BILLY 0F THE NORTH wrote

It's shots like this that make me want to keep my D7000 and not spend the extra money to upgrade to a D7100.

Is it a shot you could not have taken with a D7100 ?

Hint: even a D70 can be used to take a perfect shot

stevenjames
Contributing MemberPosts: 850Gear list
Like?
In reply to BILLY 0F THE NORTH, Apr 2, 2013

Me too!

I only recently purchased it since it was available as a FACTORY refurb. I'll get a D7100 in a year or two when its availalbe for the same.

Steve

-- hide signature --

www.StevenJamesPhotography.com

stevenjames's gear list:stevenjames's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +8 more
RomanJohnston
Forum ProPosts: 18,461Gear list
Like?
Exactly...no reason to upgrade

D7000 is an extreemly capable camera.

Roman

-- hide signature --

The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious; It is the source of all true art and science.
~ Albert Einstein
http://www.commercialfineart.com/
http://www.pbase.com/romansphotos/

nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?

Pictures of a Turkey are all very well, but if you want to take pictures of an Ostrich the D4 is what a real man needs.

SUPERHOKIE
Contributing MemberPosts: 961
Like?

Ummmm ... That shot is not that special honestly.. It could have been taken with a D90 as well.. Or a D80 or D70... A high DR shot would be a better example of why one doesnt really need a D7100.

Nikon2011
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
In reply to Danel, Apr 2, 2013

when you will want to upgrade you'll have the 7300(not 2, 3!)

i find it silly to UPGRADE from 7000 to 7100 (and so on from product to product)

if i'd have to upgrade i'd upgrade for  a 7400 or an higher end model than the 7xxx serie.

7000 to 7100 is trashing money

Nikon2011's gear list:Nikon2011's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Nikon2011
Like?
Re: fallacious reasoning
In reply to wlad, Apr 2, 2013

we are living in the tech-upgrade histeria-era

people is obsessively researching to upgrade (like people spend money on cocaine)

now i wait for someone to tell me 'but i need it for work!'

that is true, but not always true,  is it histeria or work ? ask yourself.

Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Nikon2011
Like?
In reply to nikkorwatcher, Apr 2, 2013

i might be saving for that rather than a 7100

or i keep the 7k and spend the rest in a XXXX dollars top lens.

timoteotresgatos
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?

I've been looking into seemingly much-hyped 7100 to see if it different/improved enough to warrant an upgrade from my 7000. The two things that got me interested was in-camera HDR and the lack of anti-aliasing feature.

I've read couple of places that the in-camera HDR doesn't align the the multiple pictures it takes to build the HDR image, resulting in somewhat blurry pictures. I saw one example posted on a photography site and it was pretty bad - definitely unusable for anything. If you shot them on a tripod, the HDR image would no doubt turn out OK, but hand-held? no way.

One review I read on the lack of anti-aliasing and the extra pixels compared to the D7000 said that although you get somewhat greater resolution, you also get somewhat more noise because of the increased pixel density. That seems like a judgement call rather than an easy decision.

The D7000 auto-exposure system sometimes annoys me because it seems to expose for the shadows and overexpose the highlight sometimes, but then the D7100 review I read suggested that it exposes more for the highlights and you have to watch the shadows lest they be too underexposed. so it seems like I'd be trading one exposure issue for another.

As someone else in this discussion pointed out, it's the person behind the camera that takes good pictures. In my case, I think the photographer behind my camera is much more in need of upgrades than my camera so I'm sticking with my D7000.

BILLY 0F THE NORTH
Regular MemberPosts: 402Gear list
Like?
In reply to timoteotresgatos, Apr 2, 2013

Well said timteotresgatos..(three cats)?...Hummmm

-- hide signature --

Bill Romer

BILLY 0F THE NORTH's gear list:BILLY 0F THE NORTH's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +1 more
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,751Gear list
Like?
There is not much difference in Price!
In reply to timoteotresgatos, Apr 2, 2013

timoteotresgatos wrote:

I've been looking into seemingly much-hyped 7100 to see if it different/improved enough to warrant an upgrade from my 7000. The two things that got me interested was in-camera HDR and the lack of anti-aliasing feature.

I've read couple of places that the in-camera HDR doesn't align the the multiple pictures it takes to build the HDR image, resulting in somewhat blurry pictures. I saw one example posted on a photography site and it was pretty bad - definitely unusable for anything. If you shot them on a tripod, the HDR image would no doubt turn out OK, but hand-held? no way.

One review I read on the lack of anti-aliasing and the extra pixels compared to the D7000 said that although you get somewhat greater resolution, you also get somewhat more noise because of the increased pixel density. That seems like a judgement call rather than an easy decision.

The D7000 auto-exposure system sometimes annoys me because it seems to expose for the shadows and overexpose the highlight sometimes, but then the D7100 review I read suggested that it exposes more for the highlights and you have to watch the shadows lest they be too underexposed. so it seems like I'd be trading one exposure issue for another.

As someone else in this discussion pointed out, it's the person behind the camera that takes good pictures. In my case, I think the photographer behind my camera is much more in need of upgrades than my camera so I'm sticking with my D7000.

The D7100 is what, three, four hundred dollars more??  For that very little difference in price is common sense to get the newer one with much much better AF.  Picture quality it seems to be doing just fine from what i am seeing, D7000 probably does a little better in higher ISO but D7100 is doing really really good too.  If someone already has a D7000, i guess the choice from switching is COMPLETELY personal, specially if your D7000 does not have any AF issues.  My D7000 AF was pretty good 90% of the time, but sometimes, no matter how i set it, it would back focus on something else that was not intended to be focused, this would mostly happen indoor when it would go after something more contrasty and shiny, again, it didn't matter in what metering or AF setting i changed to.  The AF was not as solid and stable as my dad's D300.  Who knows, maybe my camera WAS bad

Image quality difference i don't think you are going to see a big big big difference, specially if you only shoot photos just for fun and you just store them in your computer and you never print anything big, or you don't do this as a business.  If some hasn't bought a camera yet, the D7100 is a no brainer.  The view finder is clear and bright, is pretty AWESOME!!! The focusing dots are black and very contrasty, i did like that more than the red ones and they are very very clear to see

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Rokinon 85mm F1.4 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads