NIK Software works with Paint Shop Pro X on Windows 8

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions
vista77
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
NIK Software works with Paint Shop Pro X on Windows 8
Mar 31, 2013

if You're looking for legal and budget photoeditor, the Paint Shop Pro X is one of the best value

It's also great and cheap external editor if You already have the Lightroom!

You'll find it on ebay etc.

Few days ago I bought NIK Software collection...

I'm working on Windows 8 64 and was wondering if it'll work with my PSP X - it does!

first You should install PSP X and update it - look for those files to get PSP X v.10.10

PaintShopPro1002_EN_Patch.exe

PaintShopPro1003_EN_Patch.exe

PaintShopPro1010_EN_Update.exe

It should works good with Windows 8 64 bit

Then You should install NIK but... work with this instruction to X2 but change the NIK main installation folder to drive D:\ (it shoud be separated from OS partition)

In order to install the software into Paint Shop Pro (PSP) X2, run the installer indicating the following typical install location: C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2\ After running the installation PSP X2 needs to be setup to find the newly installed software plug-ins. To assist you in this process please fellow the steps below: 
1. Restart PSP X2 
2. Click on File >Preferences >File Locations... Click image to enlarge. 
3. A dialog box appears: 
a. On the left hand side click on plug-ins. 
b. Ensure the box next to "Enable plug-ins..." is checked. 
c. Click on the Add button. 
d. Navigate and select the Nik Software folder located at: C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2\ 
e. Click OK, then OK again to go back into Corel Paint Shop Pro X2

I've done it!

Folders setted but it doesn't work because there's no Plugin loaded in PSP menu :/

You can try to set also the NIK folder in Plugins paths but You'll only see possition **Hidden** in PSP effects menu :/

I guess there are some problems with rights or something.

Prophylactically change (off) the attributes of NIK folder with subfolders (hidden/system etc).

Now You should copy files of every application from NIK Collection to Corel Paint Shop Pro X\Plugins folder. You should miss 64 bit versions and overwrite license file each time.

All NIK software files should be copied to PSP Plugins folder (bulk - without directories). The only folder You copy is 'resource' from Silver Efex Pro 2.

And now it should work like that

And it works great with the PSP X!

Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Leica X2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
canuck dave
Senior MemberPosts: 2,695
Like?
Re: (!) NIK Software works with Paint Shop Pro X on Windows 8
In reply to vista77, Mar 31, 2013

Thanks for this very informative posting. I no longer use PSP (use LR, PSE and NIK) but this will be a help to those using the good vale Paintshop product(s).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vista77
Like?
Re: (!) NIK Software works with Paint Shop Pro X on Windows 8
In reply to canuck dave, Mar 31, 2013

I found PSP X much better editor than PS Elements.

And the Price! on ebay about 1~10 GBP

Mike Dobbs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,049
Like?
Re: NIK Software works with Paint Shop Pro X on Windows 8
In reply to vista77, Apr 9, 2013

I had been trying to the older NIK Silver Efex plugin to work under PSP 5, Windows 7 32-bit. Always seemed to lock up when trying to launch it. Also locked up if I tried just launching the plugin exe by itself. Read on the NIK site there might be video drive issues if not running nvidia GPU on the computer.

Just last week I picked up a new laptop, had nvidia GPU and Windows 8 64-bit . PSP5 installed fine. New NIK Collection from Google also installed...and after configuring similar to that posted by OP here, it all launched and worked fine.

Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,693Gear list
Like?
In reply to vista77, Apr 10, 2013

vista77 wrote:

if You're looking for legal and budget photoeditor, the Paint Shop Pro X is one of the best value

I'm working on Windows 8 64 and was wondering if it'll work with my PSP X - it does!

first You should install PSP X and update it - look for those files to get PSP X v.10.10

Then You should install NIK but... work with this instruction to X2 but change the NIK main installation folder to drive D:\ (it shoud be separated from OS partition)

In order to install the software into Paint Shop Pro (PSP) X2, run the installer indicating the following typical install location: C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2\ After running the installation PSP X2 needs to be setup to find the newly installed software plug-ins. To assist you in this process please fellow the steps below: 
1. Restart PSP X2 
3. A dialog box appears: 
d. Navigate and select the Nik Software folder located at: C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2\ 

I've done it!

Folders setted but it doesn't work because there's no Plugin loaded in PSP menu :/

You can try to set also the NIK folder in Plugins paths but You'll only see possition **Hidden** in PSP effects menu :/

Prophylactically change (off) the attributes of NIK folder with subfolders (hidden/system etc).

Now You should copy files of every application from NIK Collection to Corel Paint Shop Pro X\Plugins folder. You should miss 64 bit versions and overwrite license file each time.

All NIK software files should be copied to PSP Plugins folder (bulk - without directories). The only folder You copy is 'resource' from Silver Efex Pro 2.

Why should it not work?!

As long your host apllication works in windows 8, the Photoshop compatible plug-ins should work also, since it is dependant of the host application, not windows!

frank-in-toronto
Contributing MemberPosts: 978
Like?
In reply to Toermalijn, Apr 10, 2013

i have psp x5 and am happy with it.  but just to make some potential buyers aware that there are lots of people who can't get it to run on their systems reliably.

vista77
Like?

Why should it not work?!

As long your host apllication works in windows 8, the Photoshop compatible plug-ins should work also, since it is dependant of the host application, not windows!

why? 1. because PSP X and lower isnt listed in NIK compatible aps 2. because there's no tutorial how to run it 3. because even if it was installed the PSP was blind for plugs 4. because this is old ap made for Win XP

Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,693Gear list
Like?
In reply to vista77, Apr 10, 2013

vista77 wrote:

Why should it not work?!

why? 1. because PSP X and lower isnt listed in NIK compatible aps 2. because there's no tutorial how to run it 3. because even if it was installed the PSP was blind for plugs 4. because this is old ap made for Win XP

I am glad i use more reliable software!

vista77
Like?

did you checked prices I mentioned? PSP is much more user friendly and it's powerfull comparing to PSE which is not full compatible with NIK

bigfatron
Regular MemberPosts: 477Gear list
Like?
In reply to vista77, Apr 12, 2013

vista77 wrote:

Why should it not work?!

I can say PSP X4 (which is the latest version) doesn't play nicely at all with the current versions of Nik plugins (certainly Color Efex 4 & Silver Efex 2 don't work).  Although the Ultimate version of PSP X4 ships with Color Efex 3 and that works fine (apparently the issue is known with version 4 and its a problem at Nik's end).

bigfatron's gear list:bigfatron's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
_Fotogrfr_
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
In reply to bigfatron, Apr 12, 2013

bigfatron wrote:

vista77 wrote:

Why should it not work?!

I can say PSP X4 (which is the latest version) doesn't play nicely at all with the current versions of Nik plugins (certainly Color Efex 4 & Silver Efex 2 don't work).  Although the Ultimate version of PSP X4 ships with Color Efex 3 and that works fine (apparently the issue is known with version 4 and its a problem at Nik's end).

Actually, X5 is the latest version of PSP.  It also comes with Color Efex 3.  I haven't tried to install the entire Nik collection on it.

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter
galleries at: http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr

bigfatron
Like?
In reply to _Fotogrfr_, Apr 12, 2013

_Fotogrfr_ wrote:

bigfatron wrote:

vista77 wrote:

Why should it not work?!

Actually, X5 is the latest version of PSP.  It also comes with Color Efex 3.  I haven't tried to install the entire Nik collection on it.

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter
galleries at: http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr

Sorry, I meant X5. And no, the current Color/Silver Efex versions don't work.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
vista77
Like?
In reply to vista77, Apr 27, 2013

please remember to use checkbox open as administrator in PSP shortcut because there are many problems with rights in Windows 8

teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,037Gear list
Like?
In reply to vista77, 8 months ago

FYI, I bought PSP X6 recently and ultimately got the plugins to appear/work by going to PSP Preferences and mapping directly to Google/NIK folder on C: Drive:

C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection

I could not get the plugins to show up when following the directions below (but thanks for posting, as it 1) created awareness for me and 2) inspired me to find a solution for my system).  I am using Win 8.1.

Interestingly, in LR5 I have to map to some of the 32-bit NIK launchers because the 64-Bit ones do not launch on my system, but I have no issue with PSP X6 using plugins.

I am really liking NIK and PSP... and combined with LR5 and Photo Ninja I think I am pretty well set for my PP needs for a while.

vista77 wrote:

1. Restart PSP X2
3. A dialog box appears:

I've done it!

Prophylactically change (off) the attributes of NIK folder with subfolders (hidden/system etc).

Now You should copy files of every application from NIK Collection to Corel Paint Shop Pro X\Plugins folder. You should miss 64 bit versions and overwrite license file each time.

All NIK software files should be copied to PSP Plugins folder (bulk - without directories). The only folder You copy is 'resource' from Silver Efex Pro 2.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,732
Like?
Apparently, if you have a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit plug-ins. . .
In reply to teseg, 8 months ago

You will need to install BOTH 64 bit and 32 bit versions of PSP. I read about this in the Corel User to User's forum yesterday when visiting on a different matter. However, several users on that site report that instead of installing the 32 bit version, they just kept the version they upgraded from installed, the 32 bit plug-ins work just fine on the older software. Either way seems valid, but to ease your concerns, the PSP license you buy covers both versions installed on the same machine. So you will stay legal regardless of the choice you make.

I'm relatively new to 64 bit software myself, so I don't know if this is a common solution, but that is the solution Corel has implemented. As someone at the Corel web site pointed out, this relatively minor inconvenience will disappear completely once the remaining major editors go to 64 bit and the plug-in software publishers finish conversion to 64 bit.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

bigfatron
Like?
Re: Apparently, if you have a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit plug-ins. . .
In reply to Glen Barrington, 8 months ago

Glen Barrington wrote:

You will need to install BOTH 64 bit and 32 bit versions of PSP. I read about this in the Corel User to User's forum yesterday when visiting on a different matter. However, several users on that site report that instead of installing the 32 bit version, they just kept the version they upgraded from installed, the 32 bit plug-ins work just fine on the older software. Either way seems valid, but to ease your concerns, the PSP license you buy covers both versions installed on the same machine. So you will stay legal regardless of the choice you make.

I'm relatively new to 64 bit software myself, so I don't know if this is a common solution, but that is the solution Corel has implemented. As someone at the Corel web site pointed out, this relatively minor inconvenience will disappear completely once the remaining major editors go to 64 bit and the plug-in software publishers finish conversion to 64 bit.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

Dual 32 bit and 64 bit executables are pretty much the norm. Photoshop has been doing that since it introduced a 64 bit version, and as you noted its not an either/or.  And its like this indeed because you can't use 32 bit plugins with a 64 bit editor and vice versa.

I also have PSP X6 (decided to stay with Corel rather than go for the CC offer as I already own LR anyway and could upgrade PSP from X5 for £30) and have both 32 and 64 bit versions installed.  The Google Nik plugins didn't work properly for me with PSP X5 but they seem to have recently fixed it (from queries I raised over PSP X5 compatibility I believe the issue was actually at Nik's end).  So the Nik stuff works in either version and I have a couple of 32 bit only filters which necessitates retaining the 32 bit version of PSP X6.  As they're freeware ones I'm not expecting them to be updated to 64 bit anytime soon.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads