Adding USB 3.0 to Mac Pro

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions
sjstremb
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
Adding USB 3.0 to Mac Pro
Mar 31, 2013

Has anyone found a PCIe card for a Mac Pro that will add USB 3.0 yet that does not require a hacked driver to work?

I have a 2.8 GHz Quad Core Xeon running 10.8.2 system.

Thanks

sjstremb's gear list:sjstremb's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +17 more
PowderMaggot
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
Re: Adding USB 3.0 to Mac Pro
In reply to sjstremb, Mar 31, 2013

The current Mac Pro chipsets do not support USB 3, therefore it'll require a driver from someone.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Johanfoto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,883
Like?

Why a 'hacked' driver? LaCie sells a card and has an official driver for that card. No need to hack anything.

-- hide signature --
sjstremb
Like?
In reply to Johanfoto, Mar 31, 2013

It is my understanding the La ice card only works with LaCie drives, unless its a recent product.

Fujifilm X100S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 +17 more
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,026
Like?

There are other USB 3.0 cards for Mac Pros that do not have that vendor's "only for connecting our drives; not for connecting most USB 3.0 peripherals" limitation.  You may want to do a Forum search for previous discussions.

graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,903
Like?
In reply to sjstremb, Apr 2, 2013

USB 3 cards for Mac Pros should be approached with caution for now. I was looking at a Sonnet, which is usually a good brand, but the Sonnet USB 3 card gets horrible reviews on Amazon with lots of limitations and problems.

Some reports say OS X isn't letting USB 3 cards work with USB 3 hubs.

The CalDigit USB 3 cards on macsales.com seem to have good reviews, so when I take the plunge I might go that route.

CalDigit 2 Port USB 3.0 Host Adapter

CalDigit 2 Port USB 3.0 & eSATA 6Gb/s Host Adapter

williamio
Regular MemberPosts: 464
Like?
In reply to sjstremb, Apr 3, 2013

what usb 3.0 devices you will be using in MacPro?

sjstremb
Like?
In reply to williamio, Apr 4, 2013

card readers/camera,perhaps external hard drives.

I've looked at a number of cards and read some mixed reviews on them, I know we're getting closer to a true plug and play PCIe card, and I know its not supported yet, but I was wondering if anyone has found one that works for them.

Dominique Provost
Regular MemberPosts: 376
Like?
In reply to sjstremb, Jul 3, 2013

Any update ?

BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,712Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dominique Provost, Jul 3, 2013

I didn't see it mentioned here, but does your Mac Pro have any Thunderbolt ports? There are hubs that connect to the Mac via Thunderbolt and provide USB 3 as well as other connections.

For example the Matrox DS1.

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
sjstremb
Like?
Re: Adding USB 3.0 to Mac Pro-update
In reply to Dominique Provost, Jul 3, 2013

Yes, updates, first of all currently there are no Mac Pro's that have been sold or made to this date with Thunderbolt ports on them and to my knowledge, no PCIe cards exsist that can be used in on.

I did find a USB 3.0 PCIe card that did work with my Mac Pro

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A14ZSL6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It cost me $125.00 and you must load the driver for it (included on a DVD with it) to get it to work, the instructions for loading the drivers are a little thin, but I was able to load them and it works great. Tried it with both a card reader and generic external HD. Install was very easy getting the hardware into the slot.

For general reference, my Mac Pro is one year old a Duo core running the current OS 10.8.4

Stan

graybalanced
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,903
Like?
In reply to BlueJakester, Jul 3, 2013

BlueJakester wrote:

I didn't see it mentioned here, but does your Mac Pro have any Thunderbolt ports?

The only Mac Pro with Thunderbolt ports is the new round black one that isn't going to ship until later this year, and that will be Thunderbolt 2.

None of the big aluminum Mac Pros have Thunderbolt.

BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,712Gear list
Like?
In reply to graybalanced, Jul 4, 2013

graybalanced wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

I didn't see it mentioned here, but does your Mac Pro have any Thunderbolt ports?

The only Mac Pro with Thunderbolt ports is the new round black one that isn't going to ship until later this year, and that will be Thunderbolt 2.

None of the big aluminum Mac Pros have Thunderbolt.

Wow, no wonder people have been complaining Apple has been slow to refresh the Mac Pro.

Thanks.

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads