Maybe it' my aging eyes, but.......

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions
fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?
Maybe it' my aging eyes, but.......
Mar 31, 2013

So far I haven't seen the biting sharpness I expected to see, from the D7100 without an AA filter. Resolution of course is stellar, but I'm still feeling that the shots I've seen here, and elsewhere, are lacking that little extra degree of sharpness that my old D300 had. To be fair my current D7000 also seems to lack the sharpness my D300 had. Same lenses in case you're wondering, and I'm talking about tripod mounted, mirror locked, as well. Anyone have any theories, or is it just my subjective perception?

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Whalligeo
Regular MemberPosts: 245
Like?
Re: Maybe it' my aging eyes, but.......
In reply to fotolopithecus, Mar 31, 2013

It all depends on the quality of the lens. It wont make poor glass any better.

-- hide signature --

They said it couldn't be done, so I encouraged my peers not to bother.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fotolopithecus
Like?
In reply to Whalligeo, Mar 31, 2013

Whalligeo wrote:

It all depends on the quality of the lens. It wont make poor glass any better.

-- hide signature --

They said it couldn't be done, so I encouraged my peers not to bother.

Just to be more clear in what I'm trying to convey, the D7000, and D7100 seem less sharp than the D300 did. At the same time I'm not saying I prefer the D300, but there were a couple of areas where it did seem to excel over D7000, and D7100. Another area was a slight edge in highlight dynamic range.

Bailey151
Contributing MemberPosts: 963
Like?

fotolopithecus wrote:

So far I haven't seen the biting sharpness I expected to see, from the D7100 without an AA filter. Resolution of course is stellar, but I'm still feeling that the shots I've seen here, and elsewhere, are lacking that little extra degree of sharpness that my old D300 had.

So what is this thread 6,212 you've started "doubting" an area in which the D7100 is better?

Two options with this one a) it is sharper b) you're blind. I vote b.

I hear some states have a newly legalized "drug" that might help.

From an image perspective it's a nice step forward from the D7000 & easily better than the D300 generation sensors.

fotolopithecus
Like?
In reply to Bailey151, Mar 31, 2013

Bailey151 wrote:

fotolopithecus wrote:

So far I haven't seen the biting sharpness I expected to see, from the D7100 without an AA filter. Resolution of course is stellar, but I'm still feeling that the shots I've seen here, and elsewhere, are lacking that little extra degree of sharpness that my old D300 had.

So what is this thread 6,212 you've started "doubting" an area in which the D7100 is better?

Two options with this one a) it is sharper b) you're blind. I vote b.

I hear some states have a newly legalized "drug" that might help.

From an image perspective it's a nice step forward from the D7000 & easily better than the D300 generation sensors.

No Bailey, you shouldn't take this personally, it's just that I like a very through vetting of any new camera that interests me. I'd say on the whole my overall opinion of the new D7100 is very favorable, but it's just in my nature to look for problems, and balance them against pluses. Besides, what the heck else are we suppose to talk about around here.

dowop
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?

I took my D90 to a camera shop & compared it to the D7100. I really could not see a difference in the photos. I am 67 & have not used the newly legalized drug since the 60`s. Maybe thats my problem.

fotolopithecus
Like?
In reply to dowop, Mar 31, 2013

dowop wrote:

I took my D90 to a camera shop & compared it to the D7100. I really could not see a difference in the photos. I am 67 & have not used the newly legalized drug since the 60`s. Maybe thats my problem.

Yeah you see this may be the problem, you, and I are old farts, and can't quite wrap our minds around how technical digital cameras are compared with film. At the same time, it's not like I'm some nincompoop that doesn't know which end of the camera to look through, like was the case with so many early D7000 complaints

dowop
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?

fotolopithecus wrote:

dowop wrote:

Yeah you see this may be the problem, you, and I are old farts, and can't quite wrap our minds around how technical digital cameras are compared with film. At the same time, it's not like I'm some nincompoop that doesn't know which end of the camera to look through, like was the case with so many early D7000 complaints

We do agree. Plus I just looked at the pictures with out pixel peeping.

Bailey151
Like?

fotolopithecus wrote:

No Bailey, you shouldn't take this personally, it's just that I like a very through vetting of any new camera that interests me. I'd say on the whole my overall opinion of the new D7100 is very favorable, but it's just in my nature to look for problems, and balance them against pluses. Besides, what the heck else are we suppose to talk about around here.

Nah, not taking it personally at all...........just having a bit of fun

Danel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,904Gear list
Like?

Once DSLRs hit 6mp, or maybe even before, the cameras became capable of taking outstanding photos.  Since then, the cameras have gotten marginally better with each release.  Head on over to Imaging Resource and take a gander at their compare-o-meter.  Pixel peep for a while at 100% with the D300s on one side and the D7000 on the other at lower ISOs.  If you don't see the difference in detail and sharpness I suggest you visit your eye doctor for a new refraction.

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
roustabout66
Regular MemberPosts: 467Gear list
Like?
In reply to Danel, Mar 31, 2013

Danel wrote:

Once DSLRs hit 6mp, or maybe even before, the cameras became capable of taking outstanding photos.  Since then, the cameras have gotten marginally better with each release.  Head on over to Imaging Resource and take a gander at their compare-o-meter.  Pixel peep for a while at 100% with the D300s on one side and the D7000 on the other at lower ISOs.  If you don't see the difference in detail and sharpness I suggest you visit your eye doctor for a new refraction.

We can see RAW instead of JPG files here. These are from the front part of the scene and the back part so no claims of focusing error involved. To my aging eyes except for the fact that more pixels produce larger images (hardly surprising) there is not a large difference in apparent sharpness. In fact, throw in 24 megapixels and it appears to me that to get a SIGNIFICANT increase in apparent sharpness you need to look at the NEX 7.

fotolopithecus
Like?
In reply to Bailey151, Mar 31, 2013

Bailey151 wrote:

fotolopithecus wrote:

Nah, not taking it personally at all...........just having a bit of fun

OK Bailey not to worry, after I've exhausted all the knits there are to pick, I'll likely buy a D7100 myself. For now though, so little time, so many knits to pick.

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,051Gear list
Like?

Just what you needed, another nit :^)

They're really small!

fotolopithecus
Like?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Mar 31, 2013

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Just what you needed, another nit :^)

They're really small!

No man, I'm not picking those kinda nits, I'm picking apart the knits on a sweater girls sweater. Yes, much more fun, and your photo, yuk incidentally.

coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,678
Like?
In reply to fotolopithecus, Apr 1, 2013

fotolopithecus wrote:

So far I haven't seen the biting sharpness I expected to see, from the D7100 without an AA filter. Resolution of course is stellar

Sharpness (at 100% view) is irrelevant. The thing that matters is resolution.

spbStan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,882
Like?

How are you viewing these images that are less sharp than a D300? I have never seen such a D300 that is more resolving power than an D7000 or 7100. Are you pixel peeping at 100%, if so, that is not a test of sharpness between two different cameras with different pixel size. 100%, pixel 1:1 is going to be much more magnified than a D300 image at 100%.

Did you mean to state that the DR highlights were better on the d300 or was that a typo? The D7000 is considerable better(and the D90 is slightly better) than the D300 so I would ask for controlled test images that support that claim. It has to be the first time anyone made that statement.

Getting back to the less than sharp D7100 images, how large of prints are you viewing and from what distance? I hope you are not suggesting that you can tell based on 72-97 dpi monitor displays.

-- hide signature --

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

David Lal
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,705
Like?
Not worth upgrading to a D7100?
In reply to spbStan, Apr 1, 2013

spbStan wrote:

Getting back to the less than sharp D7100 images, how large of prints are you viewing and from what distance? I hope you are not suggesting that you can tell based on 72-97 dpi monitor displays.

Stan, are you saying that the theoretical improvements in sharpness with the D7100 cannot be perceived unless the image is physically printed on paper?

If that is so, then the corrollary for people such as I who print very little, 'upgrading' to a d7100 in pursuit of sharper images is pointless. I don't think the Nikon advertisements make that clear.

David

fotolopithecus
Like?
In reply to spbStan, Apr 1, 2013

spbStan wrote:

How are you viewing these images that are less sharp than a D300? I have never seen such a D300 that is more resolving power than an D7000 or 7100. Are you pixel peeping at 100%, if so, that is not a test of sharpness between two different cameras with different pixel size. 100%, pixel 1:1 is going to be much more magnified than a D300 image at 100%.

Did you mean to state that the DR highlights were better on the d300 or was that a typo? The D7000 is considerable better(and the D90 is slightly better) than the D300 so I would ask for controlled test images that support that claim. It has to be the first time anyone made that statement.

-- hide signature --

Stan
St Petersburg Russia

Not resolving power, sharpness, the D7000, and D7100 have far more resolving power, but they seem less sharp to me.

fotolopithecus
Like?
In reply to coudet, Apr 1, 2013

coudet wrote:

fotolopithecus wrote:

So far I haven't seen the biting sharpness I expected to see, from the D7100 without an AA filter. Resolution of course is stellar

Sharpness (at 100% view) is irrelevant. The thing that matters is resolution.

Perhaps, but I like tack sharp images, and I'm not talking about at 100%.

Bailey151
Like?

fotolopithecus wrote:

Not resolving power, sharpness, the D7000, and D7100 have far more resolving power, but they seem less sharp to me.

Then it's time for a new prescription - I might give you the D7000 vs the D300 gen sensor, that's not quite as big a difference (I can still see it). But the D7100? That's easy. Too any pics around here. There more than a couple birds and some wildlife. The red fox & the owl - both images are sharper and have more detail than the 300 could ever hope to achieve, just not possible for that gen of sensor. There's more than a couple birds from the D7100 that even @ 100% every single feather is razor sharp - never seen that from a 300, ever.

Is it a revolutionary sensor? Nope, its simply a nice step forward. Is it worth the upgrade? Depends on the model you have now. Previous gen D7xxx/D5xxx? Maybe not, image is closer (unless you need a specific feature). Dated sensors like the D300 gen? Yep, it's better (unless say you need the machine gun buffer, then obviously not).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads