Boots/Jessops lab codes

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Discussions
Dhuhallow
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
Boots/Jessops lab codes
Mar 31, 2013

I'm going through old photo prints from 20-30 years ago, and scanning the interesting ones. From memory, most of my prints were produced in the UK by Boots/Jessops, but I may have used others as well. I'm trying to add dates where I can but the memory is not what it was!!!

Many of the images have a code generated by the lab on the reverse of the print. I appreciate that IF there is any date info on the code it referes to date of printing rather than date of capture, but this would at least help narrow down the range of possible dates.

I've tried Googling for this, but the words print, photo etc produce millions of hits. Also tried searching this forum but did not spot any answers but could easily have missed one.

So does anyone know if there are any sites where these codes are translated?

Examples that I've come across are

JES NA0B ANA0 NNN o 9998

1854 7435 NNN N+18

1854 7435 N NNN NB

GYLE 016 0161 NNNN

(This one is probably an in-store - Gyle Edinburgh - lab, The NNNN might also be HHHH)

Any help welcomed.

Colin

Dhuhallow's gear list:Dhuhallow's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
cr4guy
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
Re: Boots/Jessops lab codes
In reply to Dhuhallow, Mar 31, 2013

Dhuhallow wrote:

I'm going through old photo prints from 20-30 years ago, and scanning the interesting ones. From memory, most of my prints were produced in the UK by Boots/Jessops, but I may have used others as well. I'm trying to add dates where I can but the memory is not what it was!!!

Many of the images have a code generated by the lab on the reverse of the print. I appreciate that IF there is any date info on the code it referes to date of printing rather than date of capture, but this would at least help narrow down the range of possible dates.

I've tried Googling for this, but the words print, photo etc produce millions of hits. Also tried searching this forum but did not spot any answers but could easily have missed one.

So does anyone know if there are any sites where these codes are translated?

Examples that I've come across are

JES NA0B ANA0 NNN o 9998

1854 7435 NNN N+18

1854 7435 N NNN NB

GYLE 016 0161 NNNN

(This one is probably an in-store - Gyle Edinburgh - lab, The NNNN might also be HHHH)

Any help welcomed.

Colin

I think you're going to be out of luck with the date code.

Others have asked this before, and you may want to read this as just one example:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=244927

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dhuhallow
New MemberPosts: 13Gear list
Like?
Re: Boots/Jessops lab codes
In reply to cr4guy, Apr 1, 2013

I think you're going to be out of luck with the date code.

Very useful reply. Thanks very much

-- hide signature --

Colin

Dhuhallow's gear list:Dhuhallow's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads