Large vs small auto focus box size on X100S

Started Mar 31, 2013 | Questions
ccarrier
Contributing MemberPosts: 830Gear list
Like?
Large vs small auto focus box size on X100S
Mar 31, 2013

Hi,

just got my X100s today.  I've been playing with it to get use to it.

I noticed that you can change the auto focus box size as explained in the user manual.  However, the manual does not explain what are the advantages of chosing a small size or a big size.  Anyone can help me ?

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

Claude Carrier

ccarrier's gear list:ccarrier's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2600 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
J Yohan
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
Re: Large vs small auto focus box size on X100S
In reply to ccarrier, Mar 31, 2013

ccarrier wrote:

Hi,

just got my X100s today.  I've been playing with it to get use to it.

I noticed that you can change the auto focus box size as explained in the user manual.  However, the manual does not explain what are the advantages of chosing a small size or a big size.  Anyone can help me ?

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

Claude Carrier

A smaller AF box will allow you to be more precise with the focus. A bigger AF box may not be as precise but will lock focus faster in most cases.

J Yohan's gear list:J Yohan's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sutto
Regular MemberPosts: 335
Like?
In reply to J Yohan, Mar 31, 2013

Yea, but at least for manual focus it is a moot point.  It seems to be stuck on the large one and I can't make it smaller.  I don't know why we can't make is small as with autofocus 's'.

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

ccarrier
Contributing MemberPosts: 830Gear list
Like?
In reply to J Yohan, Mar 31, 2013

I see.

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

Claude Carrier

ccarrier's gear list:ccarrier's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2600 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +5 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,377Gear list
Like?
In reply to ccarrier, Apr 1, 2013

If it is like my XE1 then smaller focus box is better in low/poor light while bigger is better in good light.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Jack Fung
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to ccarrier, Sep 26, 2013

Changing the focus box can help you to focus different area. Use smaller focus box if you want to focus on that particular object only. Use the bigger focus box if you want to focus on bigger or more objects. For example, you want to use small focus box to cover the face of the model when shooting portrait; and use bigger focus box when shooting group picture. Because you want all your buddies can be focused in the pictures.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads