News about the Sony G zoom for NEX?

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,099Gear list
Like?
News about the Sony G zoom for NEX?
Mar 30, 2013

Sony said that a high quality walkaround zoom would be available I think in 2012. Any news about it?
By the way, I have the Sigma 30mm lens. Is the IQ of the Sony 35mm for NEX any better? Stabilization at this focal length and speed are not very important to me. Just IQ.

Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
nrcole
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?
Re: News about the Sony G zoom for NEX?
In reply to Enir4, Mar 31, 2013

Haven't heard a peep about a high-end zoom since January, and that rumour was about a 16-80 Zeiss branded one. There's supposed to be another three lenses in 2013 that we haven't heard about, so hopefully we'll get some treats with the NEX 7N announcement.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,099Gear list
Like?
In reply to nrcole, Mar 31, 2013

nrcole wrote:

Haven't heard a peep about a high-end zoom since January, and that rumour was about a 16-80 Zeiss branded one. There's supposed to be another three lenses in 2013 that we haven't heard about, so hopefully we'll get some treats with the NEX 7N announcement.

I heard from a well reputed dealer that two Zeiss primes for NEX are coming very soon, a 24 and a 50 equivalents. Not a word about a zoom, Zeiss or Sony G.

Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
andyb949
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?

I'd be surprised if the 7N got announced without some new lens to go with it. A high quality standard zoom would match what Fuji is doing with the XE1, so fingers crossed that's the way they'll go.

-- hide signature --
nrcole
Regular MemberPosts: 411
Like?

They'd be the three new Zeiss manufactured primes which were announced a year ago and should be out in a couple months. A 12, 32, and 50. You can see them online and they don't count on Sony's roadmap because they're truly third-party ones, made for the X mount too.

The 16-80, if it comes, will probably be Sony licensing and building a Zeiss design with Zeiss overseeing quality control.

My personal bet is on a 16-50 G that's constant 2.8 or 2.8-4 to keep the size and weight down.

I hope we get both this year because a 16-80 Zeiss would be a fantastic daytime workhorse lens. Pad that out with the 35 1.8 and a legacy 50 and I would feel prepared for almost anything.

Kashmir442
Regular MemberPosts: 186
Like?
In reply to andyb949, Mar 31, 2013

andyb949 wrote:

I'd be surprised if the 7N got announced without some new lens to go with it. A high quality standard zoom would match what Fuji is doing with the XE1, so fingers crossed that's the way they'll go.

-- hide signature --

As someone who is interested in both the 7N and a high-quality zoom, I would love for this to happen, but I don't think it's realistic. For a standard G zoom, Sony would be asking $800-$1000, no? They won't want to add more than ~$200 in lens costs to the basic package, although a special bundle of some kind wouldn't be out of the question.

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,049
Like?
In reply to Kashmir442, Mar 31, 2013

I guess it depends on the definition of high quality but Sony did bundle the A77 with the 16-50 weather sealed zoom and while it isn't officially a G lens it is much better than most bundled zooms.

Maybe they are planning something similar for the 7N.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads