Plaubel Makina 67

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
rune12dam
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Plaubel Makina 67
Mar 30, 2013

I'm considering buying this Plaubel Makina 67 with a nikon 80mm 2,8. I'm not aware how the condition of this model is normally and therefore how much I should pay. I have add'et a few pictures and hope you guys would be able to help. It looks good inside. Seller currently asks for $1350

Thank's and hope I soon can post some pictures shoot with it

Sorry the quality:

Front

Scratch near "3,5"

Overview

Scrath on bag (same on both corners)

DenWil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539
Like?
Re: Plaubel Makina 67
In reply to rune12dam, Mar 30, 2013

Check for light leaks and cracks in the extension.  Also that it opens fully without undue resistance.  The current Fuji 67 folding model has been reported with some opening fully issues.

The $ amount seems high considering a very clean  Pentax67 with a metered optical VF,  90MM 2.8 (very sharp and contrasty) can be had for significantly less... and you can change lenses, add a grip, and though it is heavier than the Plaubel it handles very easily.

Not being a collector or enthusiast there is no emotional connection for me to justify or inspire the purchase of any camera,  so if the PM67  attracts you  other than as a tool  to accomplish a job my opinions are likely not applicable.

-- hide signature --

denniswilliams

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KCK14
Regular MemberPosts: 440Gear list
Like?
In reply to DenWil, Mar 30, 2013

Make sure its working.  Parts for repair were difficult to come by many years ago when camera was current.  Price seems high for non-mint sample.

KCK14's gear list:KCK14's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D90 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,255Gear list
Like?
In reply to rune12dam, Mar 31, 2013

Compared to my Rapid Omega with three lenses and backs, I'd say it's a high price.

drh681
Forum ProPosts: 12,040Gear list
Like?
In reply to rune12dam, Mar 31, 2013

sounds like a good price if it works.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=plaubel-makina&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=&usedSearch=1

http://www.adorama.com/US%20%20%20%20556053.html

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

drh681's gear list:drh681's gear list
Nokia Lumia Icon
rune12dam
Like?
In reply to DenWil, Mar 31, 2013

Thank's - I tried a model of this camera a few years ago, and really liked it. That's why I'm looking to buy one.

Good tips - I'm definitely will let it go through the hands of a camera-repair-store to check it before continuing trade

Try to get him down in price...

rune12dam
Like?
In reply to KCK14, Mar 31, 2013

Thank's - I'll drop it by someone who can tell me the condition of it.

rune12dam
Like?
In reply to Skipper494, Mar 31, 2013

Thank's - I'll try to see how far down in price I can get it.

rune12dam
Like?
In reply to drh681, Mar 31, 2013

Thank's for the links! - If it works as it should, I will try to get it a bit more down i price do to scratches ect...

rune12dam
Like?
In reply to rune12dam, Apr 12, 2013

Hi again,

I had the camera looked at by a technician, and he only had the comment that the black material keeping the light out onside the bag had to be changed. ($40 ish). I then tried the camera and as you guys pointed the lighmeter did not work. The outcome of the film looked fine though.

He now says that it's working but, only when the lens is not fully out. Have anybody ever had this issue fixed and is this the classic problem, that probably will come again?

I believe I can get it quite far down in price, but is it to live with? Dos your meter works 100%

best rune

MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 3,005
Like?

rune12dam wrote:

Hi again,

I had the camera looked at by a technician, and he only had the comment that the black material keeping the light out onside the bag had to be changed. ($40 ish). I then tried the camera and as you guys pointed the lighmeter did not work. The outcome of the film looked fine though.

He now says that it's working but, only when the lens is not fully out. Have anybody ever had this issue fixed and is this the classic problem, that probably will come again?

I believe I can get it quite far down in price, but is it to live with? Dos your meter works 100%

best rune

Faulty meters are from what I'v read very common with this camera, the wires between the lens and the body are too taught so can be damaged if its unfolded too quickly.

If you can't live without a meter I'd suggest doing a bit of checking around about repair costs, again from what I'v heard they need not be that high as wiring is normally the issue, its more a question of finding someone who knows what there doing.

What you need to consider is that this is still a very desireble camera due to its small size and fast lens, you'll obviously be paying more than for larger MF rangefinders like the Rapid Omega.

rune12dam
Like?
In reply to MoreorLess, Apr 12, 2013

Thank's for you response.

Plaubel just wrote me back, and will do the job for around $400-500. I'm not one of the hardcore guys that can shoot without the meter, so will need to have it fixed. Will see how far down in price seller will go, as a result of this. I really like the camera -the size is a pretty big part of that

/rune

MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 3,005
Like?

rune12dam wrote:

Thank's for you response.

Plaubel just wrote me back, and will do the job for around $400-500. I'm not one of the hardcore guys that can shoot without the meter, so will need to have it fixed. Will see how far down in price seller will go, as a result of this. I really like the camera -the size is a pretty big part of that

/rune

Thats I'd guess why it and the Mamiya 6/7 still command pretty high prices while many other MF cameras can be head relatively cheaply.

The most direct alternative to me seems to be the newer Fuji GF670/Bessa 3 and thats obviously not cheap either. Looking at reviews the main difference to me seems to be the Fuji is a bit sharper and has a better rangefinder where as the Makina has a faster lens and smoother bokeh.

Leswick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,102
Like?
In reply to rune12dam, Apr 15, 2013

@OP

You can check with LF forum...many guys either still use it or used to use it, also another forum that starts with "P"...and they have rather thriving MF forum.  Good luck.  You'll be better off by using good light meter (separate from the camera) and you can pick up for around $250....though it can be your bargaining chip too.

Leswick

DrTebi
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to rune12dam, May 28, 2013

The Plaubel Makina 67 is a fabulous camera.

I have owned a Plaubel Makina 670, which is the same as the 67 apart from a few small upgrades, for about four years now, and shot quite a few rolls with it.

The lens is of very high quality and produces very sharp images with beautiful bokeh and smooth contrast. As a matter of fact, you will have a hard time to find a film scanner that is able to reproduce all the detail the camera can capture--provided you use a good film of course. I shoot primarily Fujifilm Provia 100F or Velvia. Kodak Ektar 100 also works great with this camera.

My lightmeter works and it's certainly a privilege to have. It is in fact very accurate; I have also shot with a Mamiya 7II and found its lightmeter much harder to use.

The size of the camera is certainly one of its biggest advantages. It is very portable. When I go hiking, I use the shoulder strap and then "clamp" the camera under my arm, which is easy due to the fact that it is so flat. This helps when the terrain gets rough and you need to climb around.

As you have already found out, Plaubel Gmbh in Germany still services the camera. I have used their service once to fix a film-advance problem. I found their prices quite reasonable, especially when compared to Leica.

The best way to fully appreciate the camera is by shooting slides and projecting these. With the right projector and lens you will get outstanding images, since there is no resolution limit like there is with digital projection.

Slide projectors however are rare and expensive in 6x7 format. One solution, although a bit destructive, is to get a 6x6 projector and crop the slides to 6x6.

The particular camera you are looking at seems a bit expensive considering the broken light meter (and light leaks in the bellows if I understood correctly). If you can talk the seller down a bit and have it repaired by Plaubel, I think it will be worth it though. I assume you are aware that medium format film photography, as rewarding as it may be, is also quite time consuming (buying film, only 12 image per roll, developing, scanning etc.).

Here are some images I have taken with my Plaubel: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drtebi/tags/makina670/

My Plaubel Makina 670 is my absolute favorite camera (... and I have quite a few...), I am sure you will not be disappointed.

bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 6,929
Like?
In reply to Skipper494, May 28, 2013

Skipper494 wrote:

Compared to my Rapid Omega with three lenses and backs, I'd say it's a high price.

its a tad high but not so high if you wanted it you would not be out of line to make an offer

useres are going anywhere from $900 or so for a really grotty but working one to about 1200 for a nice one. check the dealers prices and make them an offer.

its a very highly regarded camera. as a much less expensive alternative check out the fuji 645 cameras

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

skidMark
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to rune12dam, May 29, 2013

I bought the W67 new back in late 80's and enjoyed it. Great lens, great design and very portable in a large jacket pocket. Also had a twin lens Rollei as my main camera and if I had to do it over again I would find a mint Zeiss or Schneider lens Rollei variant and a Luna Pro meter instead of the Plaubel. Even if you decide to buy the Plaubel - a Luna Pro would be cheaper and more versatile than having the internal meter repaired. Good luck either way.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads