"Cheap" 28-70mm f2.8 lens recommendations

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
OngT8m
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
"Cheap" 28-70mm f2.8 lens recommendations
Mar 30, 2013

Hi all, so I tired to put 2-3 legacy lenses in my backpack every time I went traveling. Now it's time to find a news all-in-one lens that has enough function for my daily routine.

I found out 28-70 2.8 is the best for me but it's too pricey, about 200$ or above on ebay. I have no idea about third parties lens like Tamron and Sigma, but they're seem to be reliable. Please give me some advices for buying. The best price I can afford is 150$.

Vu Dang
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?
Re: "Cheap" 28-70mm f2.8 lens recommendations
In reply to OngT8m, Mar 30, 2013

Cheapest: Vivitar S1 35-85mm f2.8.

You can not find any Tamron, Sigma or Tokina constant fast zoom lens ( for Ca/Ni ) at that price!

Vu Dang's gear list:Vu Dang's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,601
Like?
In reply to OngT8m, Mar 30, 2013

OngT8m wrote:

Hi all, so I tired to put 2-3 legacy lenses in my backpack every time I went traveling. Now it's time to find a news all-in-one lens that has enough function for my daily routine.

I found out 28-70 2.8 is the best for me but it's too pricey, about 200$ or above on ebay. I have no idea about third parties lens like Tamron and Sigma, but they're seem to be reliable. Please give me some advices for buying. The best price I can afford is 150$.

The f/2.8 zooms are all more expensive, they are also big and heavy. You can get Tokina 24-50mm/2.8 around $100. It's not a big lens, very well built. Though I wasn't satisfied with that lens as it lacked sharpness at 2.8, exhibited too much flare, and had yellow cast.

But the question is whether you need f/2.8 for traveling. My current go anywhere lens is Pentax FA 28-105/3.2-4.5, which is small and light, sharp, producing typical SMC 'happy' colors, and if you are lucky you can find a used one for around $100.

Here is one from a recent hike:

Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,019
Like?
In reply to Vu Dang, Mar 30, 2013

Vu Dang wrote:

Cheapest: Vivitar S1 35-85mm f2.8.

You can not find any Tamron, Sigma or Tokina constant fast zoom lens ( for Ca/Ni ) at that price!

I agree. If you find a 28-70 2.8 lens for that price it would be a "for parts only" lens or it would be for sale by someone who had no idea what lenses cost.

A 28-70 or 24-70 2.8 lens is big but they are both great general purpose lenses.

I used to shoot a lot of weddings and one of my favorite lenses was a Sigma 28-70 2.8 EX lens.

The lens wasn't rated all that great but in actual use it was great. I sold the lens when it was about 12 years old and still got a pretty good price for it.

Edit: You may be able to find an old manual focus 2.8 constant aperture lens on eBay for pretty cheap but I'd be careful because it may have problems.

dshin525
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, Mar 30, 2013

How about the Minolta 35-70mm 3.5? It was supposedly licensed to leica. I have one (the macro version) and I love it.

There is also the minolta 28-85 MD zoom that had good reviews from rokkor files.

-- hide signature --
Sir Punk
Regular MemberPosts: 360Gear list
Like?
In reply to dshin525, Mar 30, 2013

are all these lenses mentioned here just manual focus?

Also can you still change the aperture?

Will I be able to use AUTO iso?

I would like a multipurpose lens with a bit more zoom than the kit lens but faster, the kit zoom is just soooo slow.

dshin525
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
In reply to Sir Punk, Mar 31, 2013

Sir Punk wrote:

are all these lenses mentioned here just manual focus?

Also can you still change the aperture?

Will I be able to use AUTO iso?

I would like a multipurpose lens with a bit more zoom than the kit lens but faster, the kit zoom is just soooo slow.

Yes they are manual focus and you can change aperture using the aperture ring on the lens.

And yes you can use auto ISO. You would want to shoot in A mode.

-- hide signature --
KingCharles
Regular MemberPosts: 150
Like?
In reply to OngT8m, Mar 31, 2013

OngT8m wrote:

I picked up an old Vivitar Series 1 28mm - 90mm f2.8-3.5 on ebay for $48.

Here is what it looks like:

It's fairly heavy, but the range is nice, and when you are shooting at 28mm you can get about 2-3 inches from something and still focus on it so you can get very detailed close up shots like this one:

You can adjust the aperture with the ring, and the focus has to be done manually. I am 99% sure you won't find an autofocus 2.8 zoom for under $150.

Here are a couple more, but keep in mind I have run them through post-processing:

If you do get one, make sure the serial number starts with 28 or 22. Those are both solid manufacturers.

-- hide signature --

Charles

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads