Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,563Gear list
Like?
Re: question mark over OMD
In reply to slimandy, Apr 2, 2013

slimandy wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

slimandy wrote:

I would have said OMD until this weekend but now I'm not so sure. I got mine out of the cupboard yesterday after very little use and the screen is cracked. It looks like impact damage but I have not banged it or dropped it. I have used Nikon DSLR's for many years and never had such a problem. I'm now wondering about the build qulaity of the OMD compared to a DSLR which costs half as much.

Stuff happens.   Occurrences like this aren't common, relative to the amount of bodies sold.   Product failures can happen, and do happen, for any product that is manufactured.   Reasonable people, as well as the manufacturers, understand this.

I do understand this but I have been shooting with various cameras since my first job when I bought a camera. That was in 1985. I currently own 6 slr's and 3 compacts as well as my OMD. It seems odd that it broke with nothing seeming to have caused it.

Aside from that I mentioned it in another thread and it seems to be more common with the OMD than you'd think. I'm not alone anyway.

Yea, Andy - I did forget about that report mentioned in the other topic (and forgot where I just put my foot in it - here).   But that wasn't the point (which you got as well).    The OM-Ds did have the bezel issue, and what seems like a production run of imperfect screens or overtightened screens.  OTOH, I'm hard on my gear, dropped both OM-Ds on hard concrete (I try only to do that once per camera, if at all), and they're still chugging along just fine after a full year.  My biggest gripe is the feebly secure eyecup (but that's what gaffers tape is for [g]).   That won't be fixed - but the bezel and screen can be, and with neither expected to be a recurring issue, it would be a shame to dismiss the OM-D for that.   Though, I understand how these impressions are made, and set in.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lost in Time
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
Re: Complete non-sense.......
In reply to tedolf, Apr 2, 2013

tedolf wrote:

and that the DOF is too shallow at f/2.0 and below apertures for most lenses.

TEdolph

In your opinion -  a rather large number of FF users would disagree (for example, those people who use a 35mm f1.4 prime on FF for street photography, or a 85mm f1.2 for portraits or a 300mm f2.8 for wildlife, ...).

Used intelligently, DOF of field control is one of the most powerful photographic tools, and one of the main reasons why the 45mm and 75mm f1.8 primes are so popular on u4/3.

The Right Tool...

steven168z
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Re: Compact DSLR vs. OM-D
In reply to steven168z, Apr 3, 2013

steven168z wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

gbhwc wrote:

I am ready to upgrade from an older fixed lens camera and looking for a versatile camera for:

• Misc. Family Activities
  • Kids sports – outdoors
  • Travel
  • Backpacking & landscapes

Thanks,  Glenn

I have a D800 and an OMD and I would never grab the OMD for kids or sports, but it would be the first one I'd grab for backpacking.  I like both cameras but they serve very different rolls in my shooting.  If I had to choose only one (nice to know I don't have to choose) between the OMD and the Nikon it would be the Nikon.

-- hide signature --

Allen

why not OMD for kids or sports?

i intend to get OMD for kids.

so is there any problem gettng OMD for kids?

steven168z's gear list:steven168z's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,894
Like?
In reply to steven168z, Apr 3, 2013

steven168z wrote:

steven168z wrote:

ARB1 wrote:

gbhwc wrote:

I am ready to upgrade from an older fixed lens camera and looking for a versatile camera for:

• Kids sports – outdoors
  • Travel

Thanks,  Glenn

I have a D800 and an OMD and I would never grab the OMD for kids or sports, but it would be the first one I'd grab for backpacking.  I like both cameras but they serve very different rolls in my shooting.  If I had to choose only one (nice to know I don't have to choose) between the OMD and the Nikon it would be the Nikon.

-- hide signature --

Allen

why not OMD for kids or sports?

i intend to get OMD for kids.

Yes, you can't make them sit still

Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,633Gear list
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, Apr 3, 2013

forpetessake wrote:

steven168z wrote:

And when they do, the cat hides behind them.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,662Gear list
Like?
Re: question mark over OMD
In reply to Bob Tullis, Apr 3, 2013

Bob Tullis wrote:

slimandy wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

slimandy wrote:

I would have said OMD until this weekend but now I'm not so sure. I got mine out of the cupboard yesterday after very little use and the screen is cracked. It looks like impact damage but I have not banged it or dropped it. I have used Nikon DSLR's for many years and never had such a problem. I'm now wondering about the build qulaity of the OMD compared to a DSLR which costs half as much.

Stuff happens.   Occurrences like this aren't common, relative to the amount of bodies sold.   Product failures can happen, and do happen, for any product that is manufactured.   Reasonable people, as well as the manufacturers, understand this.

I do understand this but I have been shooting with various cameras since my first job when I bought a camera. That was in 1985. I currently own 6 slr's and 3 compacts as well as my OMD. It seems odd that it broke with nothing seeming to have caused it.

Aside from that I mentioned it in another thread and it seems to be more common with the OMD than you'd think. I'm not alone anyway.

Yea, Andy - I did forget about that report mentioned in the other topic (and forgot where I just put my foot in it - here).   But that wasn't the point (which you got as well).    The OM-Ds did have the bezel issue, and what seems like a production run of imperfect screens or overtightened screens.  OTOH, I'm hard on my gear, dropped both OM-Ds on hard concrete (I try only to do that once per camera, if at all), and they're still chugging along just fine after a full year.  My biggest gripe is the feebly secure eyecup (but that's what gaffers tape is for [g]).   That won't be fixed - but the bezel and screen can be, and with neither expected to be a recurring issue, it would be a shame to dismiss the OM-D for that.   Though, I understand how these impressions are made, and set in.

At least Olympus seem to acknowlege the issue as I now realise from looking up thier repair service on their web site. I hope they don't blame me for the damage. A couple of other users report Olympus still charging for the repair. I'm already out £8 for postage.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
steven168z
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ulric, Apr 4, 2013

Ulric wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

steven168z wrote:

And when they do, the cat hides behind them.

bought OMD kit.
going to sign up for the OMD workshop

steven168z's gear list:steven168z's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +1 more
gbhwc
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to steven168z, Apr 17, 2013

Well I went to a shop today and test both cameras.  I came away surprised.  I liked the EVF as well as the touch screen that you can use to focus on a spot - OMD.  The size difference was significant.  The lower end Nikon is smaller which creates a bigger gulf between the two when it comes to features.  I took some shots of cars moving past on the street with AF-C.  I have yet to analyze the results but now I am leaning toward the OMD.

My wife was there with me and she reminded me that our kids are in high school and their sports days are coming to an end soon.  Therefore I should really move that down on my priority list.  Makes sense.  Since size is still #1 for me, I am planning to move forward with the OMD if I can find/afford some good lenses.

So I am thinking one prime and one zoom to start with.  Not sure what they cost, but I did read that the Pana. 35-100 F 2.8 is a good zoom.

Other recommendations?

Thanks, Glenn

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,083Gear list
Like?
In reply to gbhwc, Apr 17, 2013

gbhwc wrote:

• Kids sports – outdoors
  • Travel

Note: The above use list is in descending order of expected use.

I currently have a Nikon so I am partial to them.  The Nikon 5200 has caught my attention.

COMPARING THE NIKON 5200 to the OMD

Size is obviously important and the OMD wins there.

Weigh is also important and the OMD body is 4.6 oz. lighter.  Now sure about zoom lenses but a 4.6oz difference seems minor.

Environmental sealing is a nice feature.

There are a few things I like about Nikon that is better:

-       Low light focusing

-       Built in flash

-       Optical viewfinder

-       Better feel/comfort unless I add optional power battery holder / grips which reduce the weight / size advantage.  (I wouldn’t bring these backpacking and probably not traveling).

-       NOTE: I just compared the reviews from this website and the OMD received a higher rating on ergonomics and handling.  Does this make sense?

-       What else am I missing?  What do you think?

Thanks,  Glenn

If you like OVF, you want DSLR.

I'm a fan of EVF, so my choice is different.

Compactness is not priority, for backpacking I have a compact P&S camera

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Joel in Goe
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
In reply to gbhwc, Apr 17, 2013

If you are looking for one prime, and want to do portraits of kids, then the Oly 45mm f1.8 is a wonderful lens. Very cheap, relatively speaking, fast and with wonderful bokeh. It lives on my EPL3 about 80% of the time

Coming from a compact camera, the quality of the bokeh (the fuzziness) also just blows me away:

Joel in Goe
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joel in Goe, Apr 17, 2013

The other bright and versatile portrait lens is the Panasonic/Leica 25mm f1.4. A lot more expensive, but by all accounts fantastic. Mine is currently stuck in customs...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads