A HARD DRIVE QUESTION

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
Dinegbatty
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?
A HARD DRIVE QUESTION
Mar 30, 2013

Hi all can anyone explain what has happened here

after migrating to ssd drive for os one of my other drives, a 2tb now shows up as under 500 gb

Dinegbatty
Like?
Re: A HARD DRIVE QUESTION
In reply to Dinegbatty, Mar 30, 2013

ahybody

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Collette
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,733Gear list
Like?

How did you migrate to the SSD?  Did you clone the old HD onto the SSD or do a clean install of the OS onto the SSD?  Is the affected HD still connected to the same controller, or did you move it to a different SATA port?

Often, when you migrate to a new boot drive without doing a clean install, the drive letters get messed up which requires you to reassign the drive letters, either in the Disk Management applet, or via the System Registry.

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
Dinegbatty
Like?
In reply to Bob Collette, Mar 30, 2013

I cloned old HD onto the SSD

MrScary
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,203Gear list
Like?

That does not work very reliable. Best to always put OS on a clean FULL formated SSD or HDD.

-- hide signature --
 MrScary's gear list:MrScary's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Epson Stylus Photo R3000
Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788
Like?
In reply to MrScary, Mar 31, 2013

As soon if you recover a clone of an OS-system to a drive, most back-up software shall format the drive automatically in advance.

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

dwalby
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?
In reply to Dinegbatty, Apr 1, 2013

Dinegbatty wrote:

Hi all can anyone explain what has happened here

after migrating to ssd drive for os one of my other drives, a 2tb now shows up as under 500 gb

Are you familiar with disk partitioning tools?  You need to look into the partitioning and see where the remainder of the disk has gone.  I'm not an expert on the subject, but as long as you use a partitioning tool that will allow you to increase the partition size without losing any data, you should be able to utilize the remainder of the disk space by either creating new partitions or extending the one that has shrunken mysteriously.  Its not difficult, but whenever doing this kind of thing make sure you back up all data first, just in case something weird happens in the process.  Remember that Windows limits you to 4 primary partitions when creating new partitions.

Leon Obers
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788
Like?
In reply to dwalby, Apr 2, 2013

dwalby wrote:

Remember that Windows limits you to 4 primary partitions when creating new partitions.

Maybe previous Windows OS'ses. When I just look within my disk management at Windows 8 to my existing drives, SSD's etc. I see already 7 primary partitions, 5 assigned as active (I can boot from each of them).

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

dwalby
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?
In reply to Leon Obers, Apr 2, 2013

Leon Obers wrote:

dwalby wrote:

Remember that Windows limits you to 4 primary partitions when creating new partitions.

Maybe previous Windows OS'ses. When I just look within my disk management at Windows 8 to my existing drives, SSD's etc. I see already 7 primary partitions, 5 assigned as active (I can boot from each of them).

-- hide signature --

Leon Obers

OK, let's be more specific then.  MBR based systems are limited to 4 primary partitions.  GPT based 64-bit systems can have 128 primary partitions if you have a UEFI capable motherboard.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads