Favorite X100s settings?

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
Anthony_in_SF
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?
Favorite X100s settings?
Mar 30, 2013

I apologize if this thread already exists, but...as a new X100s owner...I'd hugely value a discussion among those more experienced as to your favorite settings.  As I climb my learning curve, I'm eager to know what's working well for you - regarding both in-camera settings as well as pp (e.g. sharpening). Also, if this is covered in any of the reviews, etc. that I might have missed...please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Anthony - San Francisco, CA

Anthony_in_SF's gear list:Anthony_in_SF's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NachoYogi
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
Re: Favorite X100s settings?
In reply to Anthony_in_SF, Mar 30, 2013

me too!

NachoYogi's gear list:NachoYogi's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-Pro1 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EdGuY2013
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to NachoYogi, Apr 8, 2013

Hi
I hope my settings will help you improve your photos. At least with these settings you learn to understand this camera.
X100S settings, easy to shoot with:
SHOOTING MENU SETTINGS:
ISO: AUTO (Default sensitivity 200, max. 3200, min shutter speed 1/125)
Image size: L 3:2
Image quality: F+RAW (I use only 90MB/s memory cards, if your card too slow, use only F)
Dyamic Range: Auto
Film Simulation: STD (Provia)
ND filter: Programmed to Fn button (using in heavy sun)
Color: +2
Sharpness: +1
Highlight tone: 0
Shadow tone: -1
Noise reduction: +1
Long Exposure NR: on
Framing guide lie: grid 9
Wide conversion lens: ON
MF focus assist: Focus Peak Highlight
AF mode: area
AF illuminator: OFF
AE / AF-lock mode: ON/OFF switch
AE/AF-lock button: AE/AF lock
Correct AF frame: ON
Flash +/-0
Red eye removal: OFF
Save org image: OFF

SET-UP MENU SETTINGS:
Silent mode: OFF
MF focus check: OFF (I hate this check!!! when you in manual focus and you need this, you can access it with button upper to AFL/AEL, WHEN YOU NEED IT)
Sound set-up: Operation vol: OFF, Shutter volume: 1/3, Shutter sound: first one
Screen set-up: Image Disp. 1,5sec, Monitor sinlight mode: ON, Auto rotate PB: ON
Power management: Auto power off 2min
OVF power save mode: ON
Color space: sRGB
AE setting: when in shooting mode, press AE(+) button on left and chose: Multi
I recommend you to get wide conversion lens (WCL-X100), soft-release button and polarizing filter (DO NOT buy any cheap filters, they collect dust and not thin enough to use with wide lenses!!! I recommend B+W KSM C-POL MRC nano. Size you need is 49mm. WHY polarizing filter? First, to protect you lens and to get more deeper colors and contrast, cool looking sky/cloud photos and it minimizes wrong light reflections. I have polarize filter always on, i take it off only sunset photos.)
PS. I LOVE X100S!!! Only wish they add touch-screen to next model, to faster relocate focus point/area, really good for street photography

EdGuY2013
Like?
In reply to EdGuY2013, Apr 8, 2013

my pics with x100s and polarize filter: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7578878345/photos

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,232Gear list
Like?

You are already loosing 2 stops of light when you do not need to. Your better off bracketing the shot.

Using a polarizing filter indoors is useless, you just get dark out of focus images.

Just because you use a polarizer does not mean every shot is polarized. The position of the Sun in relation to the lens matters. You would not necessarily use it to even shoot a sunrise.  A polarizer is used to remove reflections and darken the sky/clouds and is not a 100% all the time fix.  It is not meant for people, it has no benefit. Using a tiffen 812 warming filter can do wonders.

A polarizer whether it be Circular or not is still a costly filter. You can buy a quality multi-coated clear protective filter and a slim profile polarizer and use it when needed. Nikon, Heliopan or B&W are all good filters.

You also can do lots in post editing.

Warm polarizers do exist.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Jayvier
Forum MemberPosts: 51Gear list
Like?

why NR +1? i would personally suggest u to find a balance between NR-1 orNR-2. i personally use NR-2 and didnt mind the noise grain at all even at ISO12800

Jayvier's gear list:Jayvier's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1
rjx
rjx
Contributing MemberPosts: 742Gear list
Like?
I just opened my X100S yesterday. Here's how ...
In reply to Anthony_in_SF, Apr 8, 2013

Here's how I'll use it.

RAW (always)

If my intent is to make b&w images, I have the shadows +2, highlights +2, monochrome + Red filter so I can see a b&w sample of what the image will look like. I edit RAW files in Lightroom and CS6 for b&w conversion.

If I'm shooting specifically for color in mind, I'll use the default standard settings with everything at 0

Silent mode off, operational volume on, shutter sound off

Display set for sun

Zone focus while walking around (ready for action) - Up to auto ISO6400

Various settings for street photography, manual exposure and auto. I might play around with shutter priority or aperture priority, but for me it's mostly manual exposure.

Auto focus when i'm not worried about action

Manual focus for static subjects when I can take my time

I shoot in SF 

rjx's gear list:rjx's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
ropausa
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Apr 8, 2013

ryan2007 wrote:

You are already loosing 2 stops of light when you do not need to. Your better off bracketing the shot.

Using a polarizing filter indoors is useless, you just get dark out of focus images.

Just because you use a polarizer does not mean every shot is polarized. The position of the Sun in relation to the lens matters. You would not necessarily use it to even shoot a sunrise.  A polarizer is used to remove reflections and darken the sky/clouds and is not a 100% all the time fix.  It is not meant for people, it has no benefit. Using a tiffen 812 warming filter can do wonders.

A polarizer whether it be Circular or not is still a costly filter. You can buy a quality multi-coated clear protective filter and a slim profile polarizer and use it when needed. Nikon, Heliopan or B&W are all good filters.

1: with the Heliopan High Transmission polarizer the light loss is one stop. Not more like other polarizers.

2: There are many times that a polarizer would be used indoors. Glare control on glass, polished wood, tile are some reasons.

3: A multi-coated polarizer is always better then a non-multicoated one.

4: You can not do in post processing what a polarizer does in the camera. And why spend time in post when all you need do is twist the filter?

ropausa
Like?
Re: I just opened my X100S yesterday. Here's how ...
In reply to rjx, Apr 8, 2013

rjx wrote:

Here's how I'll use it.

.. monochrome + Red filter --

Signature:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/randolphknackstedt/

Why the red filter?

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,232Gear list
Like?
In reply to ropausa, Apr 8, 2013

ropausa wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

1: with the Heliopan High Transmission polarizer the light loss is one stop. Not more like other polarizers.

2: There are many times that a polarizer would be used indoors. Glare control on glass, polished wood, tile are some reasons.

4: You can not do in post processing what a polarizer does in the camera. And why spend time in post when all you need do is twist the filter?

My point is why take light "stops" away if not absolutely needed to get the shot. Cost factor on a polarizer is not as easy to replace financially as a protective filter UV or not.

One can look up the cost of the Heliopan polarizers but its pushing $200 easy.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
ropausa
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Apr 8, 2013

ryan2007 wrote:

ropausa wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

My point is why take light "stops" away if not absolutely needed to get the shot. Cost factor on a polarizer is not as easy to replace financially as a protective filter UV or not.

One can look up the cost of the Heliopan polarizers but its pushing $200 easy.

There are also cheap polarizers available. But the point is is that you can not duplicate or acheive in post what the polarizer can do in camera.

And regardless if it is $20.00 or $200.00 the time spent trying to remove the glare or darkening skies or seeing through the water or whitening the clouds is probably worth more then the cost of the filter anyway. Especially when you have to continue doing it in post on other shots.

rjx
rjx
Contributing MemberPosts: 742Gear list
Like?
In reply to ropausa, Apr 8, 2013

ropausa wrote:

rjx wrote:

Here's how I'll use it.

.. monochrome + Red filter --

Signature:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/randolphknackstedt/

Why the red filter?

Higher contrast. Just gives me a quick idea of how my RAW file might look when I convert the file to b&w on the computer later.

I don't technically need to review the images on the lcd to determine what a scene looks like in b&w, but it's nice (for me) at times.

rjx's gear list:rjx's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
EdGuY2013
Like?
In reply to rjx, Apr 9, 2013

Polarized lens or without - for me the end result that counts. When I started to use polarize filters, image quality was significantly improved (no flare, deeper colors and contrast). I know that the best use of this filter is achieved when shooting a 90-degree angle from the sun, but already 45 degrees is a lot of benefit.

As long as the other reflections filter has not been invented, this filter will stay in my camera. Flare is everywhere, not only on water, or a glass, all objects.

I warn again using any type of cheap filters WITH wide lenses!!! Only thin enough filter ensures that your photos are not distorted. I've tried many cheap ones and they really destroy your photos, save your money...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads