2560 x 1440 and other specs (build help)

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
Undah
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,296
Like?
2560 x 1440 and other specs (build help)
Mar 30, 2013

I was looking at one of these high-res monitors in 27" and realized not many video cards can handle this resolution.  The plan was to pair this monitor with one of the Dell XPS 8500 deals (i7, ~$700).

It's mainly for photoshop, some video editing.

When I price my own build, it comes out to much more than Dell's XPS 8500.  Where are they cutting corners?

Also, does an SSD drive have a role in this machine?

Thanks.

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,876
Like?
Re: 2560 x 1440 and other specs (build help)
In reply to Undah, Mar 30, 2013

Undah wrote:

I was looking at one of these high-res monitors in 27" and realized not many video cards can handle this resolution.

There should be a lot of video cards that can handle it by now, for photo and video editing.  If you are worried about a particular PC not handling a 27" monitor, make sure that the PC has at least one 16-lane PCI-E slot (either free, or occupied by an inferior video card) into which you can install your own card.

When I price my own build, it comes out to much more than Dell's XPS 8500.  Where are they cutting corners?

For one thing, Dell may be getting a much better price on Windows than you can get at the local big-box store.  Dell almost certainly gets much better volume pricing on components than you do, or than "white-box" custom build houses do.  Also, some "white-box" outfits actively-push higher-quality cases, power supplies, and cooling; things that cost extra, but that can be worth it.

Are you asking whether you should include a SSD on your shopping list?  Or about whether some particular Dell 8500 configuration has one?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Eric Carlson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,383Gear list
Like?

Undah wrote:

I was looking at one of these high-res monitors in 27" and realized not many video cards can handle this resolution.  The plan was to pair this monitor with one of the Dell XPS 8500 deals (i7, ~$700).

It would be rare for a video card, even a low-end one, made within the last few years to not support 2560x1440. I'm using an older low-end GeForce 8400GS with mine via DVI (using a dual-link cable, of course), and my low-end Acer Netbook has no problems with that resolution via HDMI.

Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Canon EOS 500D Motorola Triumph +1 more
Undah
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, Mar 30, 2013

Are you asking whether you should include a SSD on your shopping list?  Or about whether some particular Dell 8500 configuration has one?

I'm wondering what, if any benefit there would be to a 256gb SSD + 1tb regular hd, vs normal harddrive alone. I see that configuration sometimes.

Undah
Like?
In reply to Eric Carlson, Mar 30, 2013

Eric Carlson wrote:

Undah wrote:

It would be rare for a video card, even a low-end one, made within the last few years to not support 2560x1440. I'm using an older low-end GeForce 8400GS with mine via DVI (using a dual-link cable, of course), and my low-end Acer Netbook has no problems with that resolution via HDMI.

That's good to Hear.  Saw a configuration with the AMD Radeon 7570 1gb that I thought was 1200 px max vertically?

CSMR
Regular MemberPosts: 451
Like?

Even integrated graphics from 2 years ago will handle this resolution.

Tom_N
Like?

Undah wrote:

Eric Carlson wrote:

That's good to Hear.  Saw a configuration with the AMD Radeon 7570 1gb that I thought was 1200 px max vertically?

AMD's specifications for the 7570 say that it supports

• DisplayPort - max resolution 3840x2400
  • HDMI - max resolution 1920x1200
  • Dual-link DVI with HDCP - max resolution 2560x1600
  • VGA - max resolution 2048x1536

AMD - RADEON HD 7570 GPU Feature Summary

Recent versions of HDMI theoretically support resolutions higher than 1920x1200, but in practice, many implementations have a 1920x1200 limit.  This is apparently one of them.

So you would be limited to 1200 pixels vertically if you were depending on the HDMI link.  This is why it is preferable to use a DisplayPort connection or dual-link DVI connection.

Eric Carlson
Like?

Undah wrote:

I looked up the specs, and it seems that that video card, if is has only HDMI, then the HDMI res might be limited to 1200 vertical (at least per the specs), but if it has a DVI or Displayport connector, then that connector goes much higher.

And if it doesn't have either DVI or DisplayPort, and the HDMI is actually limited (it might not actually be limited), then you can replace it with a $30 video card that will support the higher res.

Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Canon EOS 500D Motorola Triumph +1 more
Undah
Like?

Recent versions of HDMI theoretically support resolutions higher than 1920x1200, but in practice, many implementations have a 1920x1200 limit.  This is apparently one of them.

So you would be limited to 1200 pixels vertically if you were depending on the HDMI link.  This is why it is preferable to use a DisplayPort connection or dual-link DVI connection.

Excellent info!  Guess I've been out of the game for a while - time to look up what DisplayPort and dual-link DVI are.  Sounds like it's definitely the way to go.

Undah
Like?
DVI to Dual link?

Tom_N wrote:

Undah wrote:

Eric Carlson wrote:

I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161427

It lists as specs:

Ports

HDMI = 1 x HDMI

D-SUB = 1 x D-SUB

DVI =1 x DVI

Yet under max resolution, it says Max Resolution = 2560 x 1600 (DL-DVI).

Does the listed DVI become Dual Link DVI with the purchase of a separate cable?

Is D-Sub the same as DisplayPort?

Eric Carlson
Like?
Re: DVI to Dual link?

Undah wrote:

I found this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161427

It lists as specs:

Ports

HDMI = 1 x HDMI

D-SUB = 1 x D-SUB

DVI =1 x DVI

Many of the high res monitors come with a dual-link DVI cable (or you can buy one for around $5). Most DVI ports on video cards (including that one) are dual-link ports.

D-Sub is the ancient analog VGA connector. DisplayPort would be listed as DisplayPort.

Undah
Like?
In reply to Eric Carlson, Mar 30, 2013

Eric Carlson wrote:

Many of the high res monitors come with a dual-link DVI cable (or you can buy one for around $5). Most DVI ports on video cards (including that one) are dual-link ports.

D-Sub is the ancient analog VGA connector. DisplayPort would be listed as DisplayPort.

Thanks!

Is that a good card for photoshop and video editing on a core i7?

Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,398Gear list
Like?
In reply to Undah, Mar 31, 2013

Undah wrote:

U2711, that is the monitor to go. I remember there is a newer one but ...for Photoshop this one is better, covering wider colour gamut

It's mainly for photoshop, some video editing.

SSD has an extremely important role in my newer DIY machine....much faster start up. I have not installed full Photoshop yet but even Lightroom is benefiting a lot. Besides, if your budget is allowed, buy the largest SSD you can afford.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R +53 more
Tom_N
Like?

Undah wrote:

It lists as specs:

Ports

HDMI = 1 x HDMI

D-SUB = 1 x D-SUB

DVI =1 x DVI

Single-link DVI can't support a resolution of 2560 x 1600, so either the specification is inconsistent or the DVI port supports dual-link operation.  And yes, you would need a dual-link DVI cable – one that has wires for both links, not just the "1920 x 1200 pixels or lower" one.

I believe that in this context, D-Sub would be a connector for a VGA port.

Eric Carlson
Like?
In reply to Tom_N, Mar 31, 2013

Tom_N wrote:

Single-link DVI can't support a resolution of 2560 x 1600, so either the specification is inconsistent or the DVI port supports dual-link operation.

That (DL-DVI) at the end means Dual Link DVI, so the spec is consistent.

Eddaweaver
Senior MemberPosts: 2,205
Like?

Wouldn't a 16:10 2560x1600 monitor be better suited for photo and video editing?

Undah
Like?
In reply to Eddaweaver, Mar 31, 2013

Eddaweaver wrote:

Wouldn't a 16:10 2560x1600 monitor be better suited for photo and video editing?

I've seen those I think in 30".  Bigger is better, but to a point?  Seems like sitting in front of those would be a bit much.

Undah
Like?
What about LCD TV 1080P?

I used to think this was ridiculous, but what about a 42in LCD TV, 1920 x 1080, used as the monitor.  Sure, lower resolution, but is everything else ok (Dynamic range, color, etc.)?

Eric Carlson
Like?
Re: What about LCD TV 1080P?

They can be okay for distance viewing. But for normal close up computer monitor work, it will be a very grainy image due to the low pixel density. Even a 27" 1080P monitor can be a little too low pixel density for some people's tastes, especially for photo editing, and a 42" would be much worse, unless you plan to sit a lot further from the monitor to compensate.

glasswave
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,387
Like?
In reply to Undah, Apr 1, 2013

Undah wrote:

Eddaweaver wrote:

I've seen those I think in 30".  Bigger is better, but to a point?  Seems like sitting in front of those would be a bit much.

a 30" 16x10 is just a tad bigger than a 27" 16x9. Plus the lower pixel pitch is easier to read. $1500 vs $900 can be a tough pill to swallow for just a few more pixels though.

-- hide signature --

There is simply too much beauty in the world to photograph it all, but I'm trying.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads