Ink Thrift for Claria still not out Locked

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
David Seys
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Ink Thrift for Claria still not out
Mar 30, 2013

After buying a 1430 almost a year ago with the intentions of running the Cone Ink Thrift inks for Claria printers, I've now given up.

Jon Cone has given me 3 different release dates.  The last one was a 'promise' it would be out in March.  Unless he plans on releasing it the last day of the month, on Easter Day, that would mean all 3 dates he told me have come and gone.  I've officially given up on Cone inks.  I was going to switch 3 of my large format Epsons (4880, 7600, 1430) to Cone ink; the 1430 to dye and the other two to pigment.  I was waiting for the dye to come out so I could order all at once and save some cross border shipping fees.

I'm truly, truly disappointed.  I was looking forward to making the switch to Cone inks.  InkOwl (also based in Canada with free shipping) is looking better.  So what if I have to make my own profiles.  At least I won't be left with empty promises and a year old printer sitting here doing nothing.

Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,661
Re: Ink Thrift for Claria still not out
In reply to David Seys, Mar 30, 2013

Sorry to hear that David - I don't personally use Jon's inks (but other report good quality) as I use Leo's inkjetfly.com pigments.  Hope you get something sorted sooner rather than later.

Regarding profiles - can I suggest you take a look at the website for the MOAB paper company - they provide free profiles (and destruction on how to install and use) for different printers with their papers.  I understand you may not use their papers - I don't either (I use Canson watercolour papers and in any event, getting MOAB papers out here in sunny Spain is not exactly inexpensive regarding shipping) - but their profiles work well if you just select one that by description matches the type of paper you would be using.  I found that works very well and could be helpful to you once you get sorted.

http://moabpaper.com/icc-profiles-downloads/

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=35565277
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,085Gear list
seems like your mistake
In reply to David Seys, Mar 31, 2013

This seems like your mistake for banking on a service company to offer a new product.  Count on what is available, not what is anticipated to be available.  From the sounds of it, that Cone ink supplier probably does not produce the ink but gets it from a different company which is why the product not coming.

David Seys
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Re: seems like your mistake
In reply to RedFox88, Mar 31, 2013

I banked on it being available because the owner of the company, Jon Cone, told me personally on three separate occasions that the ink would be available on certain dates.

Before buying the printer almost a year ago while on sale I asked Jon himself when it would be available because the printer was on sale and I told him I would only be buying it to use his ink.  He said go ahead and buy it and the inks would soon be available.  He also told me in the fall (October/November) that the inks were in house and just had to be bottled.  Told me the same again for March, the inks are here we just have to package them.

Based on those facts is why I purchased the printer when I did.  I did not purchase it hoping the inks would be available, but rather because I was told directly by the owner/president of the company that it would be.

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,840
Contact Jon again...

David Seys wrote:

I banked on it being available because the owner of the company, Jon Cone, told me personally on three separate occasions that the ink would be available on certain dates.

Before buying the printer almost a year ago while on sale I asked Jon himself when it would be available because the printer was on sale and I told him I would only be buying it to use his ink.  He said go ahead and buy it and the inks would soon be available.  He also told me in the fall (October/November) that the inks were in house and just had to be bottled.  Told me the same again for March, the inks are here we just have to package them.

Based on those facts is why I purchased the printer when I did.  I did not purchase it hoping the inks would be available, but rather because I was told directly by the owner/president of the company that it would be.

see what he has to say.

There's a new Cone Thrift Ink forum where you can post the same question.

Bob P.

LarryM.
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Re: seems like your mistake

I'm another waiting for the inks.  And I was also told by Inkjet Mall reps that the ink would be available by now.

It would be nice to at least communicate honestly with their customers.  If there is a problem with releasing the ink just tell us so we can plan.

I'm running 2 Claria printers and I'm almost out of my current ink.  I want to switch all my inks, dye and pigment, to Cone.  Soon, however, I'll need to restock somewhere else.

David Seys wrote:

E Dinkla
Contributing MemberPosts: 555
Re: Ink Thrift for Claria still not out
In reply to David Seys, Apr 1, 2013

The dry minilabs Noritsu - Fuji based on Epson inkjet technology use an ink that should be identical to the Claria dyes. They are sold in larger carts $187 500ML and so a 38 dollarcent price per ML. It will be the same for the new Epson dry minilab model. If I recall it correctly there are Wilhelm fade tests done for both Claria and the dry minila prints. Google Paul Roark Noritsu as he uses the black dye for customised B&W ink solutions.

Check www.neomark.nettoo for Claria alternatives, look at the right side of that page which US distributor is mentioned there

-- hide signature --

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
500+ inkjet paper white spectral plots: OBA content etc.
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm

xrdbear
xrdbear MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,703
Locking thread
In reply to David Seys, Apr 1, 2013

I'm locking this thread as it is serving no useful purpose other than to bad mouth someone who is not a member and cannot answer back here. Also statements are being made that cannot be substantiated.

-- hide signature --

Brian
Fine Art Print sales of the Isle of Skye at:
http://www.eyeofskye.co.uk/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads