Antone
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?
Re: Fujifilm X System suited as a travel/landscape camera
In reply to Texchappy, Mar 30, 2013

Texchappy wrote:

Antone wrote:

Imagefoundry wrote:

Up in the mountains you would want the widest lens you can get, unless you are willing to do panoramas. Just my 2 cents.

You certainly need wide angle, but you also need telephoto.

If the 55-200 comes out before your next trip I'd look at it.

I'm really not interested in it. The Canon FD 80-200 f/4L is a superb lens. No autofocus, but I don't really need it.

-- hide signature --

Tony-S

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
photo chris
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
In reply to NefeliM, Mar 30, 2013

I think once the lens lineup is rounded out a bit more it'll be the ultimate travel camera.  The 10-24 and 55-200, along with the 23/56 f1.4 lenses are what's missing for me.  For me the 14 (21mm FOV) isn't wide enough and the 18-55 isn't long enough.  The upcoming lenses with the 35/1.4 and 18-55 has the X-mount shaping up to the the ultimate travel camera for me - if Fuji unlocks the video capabilities and allows for manual control of exposure its goodbye 5d3 - until then....

deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,374Gear list
Like?
My travel bag, incl X-E1 ...

NefeliM wrote:

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker on this website/forum, but now i could use some personal advice. Me and my wife planned a trip in November to Nepal to do some trekking in the Himalaya's. I've sold my old setup (40D, lenses, flash, etc) because it was just to "heavy"/bulky so i ended up leaving it at home in the end. I was wondering if an X system would be suited as a travel/landscape camera. And if so which one would be your choice? an x-pro1/e-x1 because of the flexibility of the lenses or an X100/X100s because the wide-angle is versatile enough for landscape/traveling.

Thanks for reading!

I have travelled large parts of the world extensively over the last 40 or so years, travelled throughout Asia initially with a 24/2.8 and a 105/2.5 on a Nikon F3. After those glorious days my gear got heavier and heavier until a few months ago I sold the ,ot of my around 7.5KG Nikon gear and bought an X-E1.

I did a couple of tester-pot trips within New Zealand taking a few things that I would now find would suit my interests (don't like it when people talk about "needs..."):

1. X-E1 body with 18-55 zoom: too many in between pics or photos where you cannot get close enough with a 23mm or 35mm.

2. 14/2.8: a brilliant lens to "open up" skies and simply space.

3. Cullmann Reverse 626 travel tripod & Really Right Stuff L-plate: fits into a daypack!

4. Second battery, although since I exclusively use the EVF have never run out of oomph during even full days.

5. ND8 & polariser.

Here are some pics to illustrate what I mean, I thnk you can guess what lenses the pics are being taken with:

Close up, 55mm cropped, would have missed this with a 23/35mm, same would go for portraits & details:

Wide taken last weekend with the 14mm in the Tongariro National Park, mountainous terrain, not quite like the Himalayas, but Ruapehu is around 2.800m too ...

Zoom used on landscape, again I think that 23/35 would havebeen too limiting, image not cropped! Spot the people to get an idea of the size of those little ponds...

Again taken with 14mm, night shot, note the dynamic range of the Fuji, enough light on the trees but the stars clearly visible. Taken on tripod, using 2sec self-timer:

I think the biggest "asset" if you like for travel photography is the 14mm! Why? Because of the rather non-existent distortion that often come with extreme wide angles. The 14mm can be used virtually everywhere, except for portraits.

There is a reason why Joachim Gerstl (second post!) calls this his most used lens during his trip to South East Asia a few weeks ago.

Good luck with your choice!

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
ljclark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,292Gear list
Like?
2 Fuji Camera Combo

In 2011 I decided to take a vacation in Paris.  I was thinking about taking a Leica M8 with my Fuji X100 as a backup.  But I decided to shift a notch and take the X100 and X10.

Everything worked just fine.  The X100 was better with high ISO situations, but the X10 made up for some of that by having IS.

Today I shot the first 100 or so frames with my new X100s.  I'm even more impressed with the X100s than I was with the X100.

However, your lens/camera setup depends a lot on how you shoot.  I tend to not need telephotos and never shot more than 75mm when I had the M8, and now don't shoot anything longer than 90mm with the M9.  A deciding factor might be where you want to be in the wide-angle range.  The X10/X20 only have a 28mm equivalent field of view.

Whatever you decide on, enjoy the trip and back up your memory card to two storage devices every day. 

ljclark's gear list:ljclark's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X30 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +36 more
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,625Gear list
Like?

Of course it depends on your preferences.

Once I went on business to Edinburgh Scotland.  At the end of my time there I had about 4 hours to just wander around and take pictures.  I had brought my DSLR, 17-50 zoom, and 50-200 zoom (non-Fuji).

Seldom took off the 17-50.  There were a few shots with the 50-200 but the quality was not up to the standards set by the 17-50 so I used only a few of them.

My X-E1 with 18-55 zoom is every bit as good as that DSLR and far lighter and smaller.  I think it is a good travel camera choice.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602Gear list
Like?
In reply to NefeliM, Mar 31, 2013

Hi Nefeli,

Lots of advice here.  People have trekked in Nepal with every type of camera and every type of lens known to man. There is no 'right' kit and it depends on your preferences.  And if you're trekking very high - on your fitness and how much you want to carry.  Every pound hurts at 5000m.

WA views are spectacular but WA lenses push tall mountains to the rear of an image and diminish their imposing perspective.  I'd take one, but use it only modestly to ensure some change of perspective.  And don't forget, amidst all the talk of mountains, that the Nepalese are a wonderful people living a different lifestyle from your own and there are many portrait, architectural and human interest shots that will just jump out at you. If it were me, and this is just for me, I'd be taking a 14mm, an 18-55 zoom and one very small light longer lens.  Since the 55-200 isn't available yet, I'd be looking for an adapter and a small light DSLR lens - maybe a tiny 100/2.8 or similar.  If I was going to ditch one of the three it would be the 14mm, because you've got the 18mm.  If I was going to prune down to one lens, I'd just take the zoom.

And one last thought based on my own experience of Nepal.  Batteries......  The higher you get, the less available electricity there is to charge them, and there are irregular voltages, interrupted supply and varying plug pin arrangements.  Many rooms in little guest lodges en route have no power sockets at all - they may have only electric lighting.  And above the last towns, there may be no electricity at all.   May I suggest more than one spare battery, and make sure they're good ones - don't skimp and buy cheapies.  I'd also take adapters made to take current from both ES and bayonet light fittings - then you're not dependent on having the right power socket pins.......or any socket at all.  Charge in the dark while you sleep.  (And take a torch because you'll have the light globe out.......)

Enjoy it, cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
NefeliM
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, Mar 31, 2013

Thanks Rod for the good advice! Camera wise it's similar as to what vkphoto recommended me and   i have to say that's on top of my list for now. Thanks for the tip of charging the batteries with various plugs and sockets and taking more then one spare! About those spares, you recommend taking good ones; i think you refer to original Fuji ones or not?

NefeliM
Like?
In reply to Tom Schum, Mar 31, 2013

Thanks Tom for reassuring me, the X-E1 with the 18-55 is on top of my list as my primary camera

NefeliM
Like?
Re: My travel bag, incl X-E1 ...
In reply to deednets, Mar 31, 2013

Wow that 14mm is amazing, i thought it would be to wide for wide open mountain area's but it's not. Thanks for sharing your impressive photo's!

travelinbri_74
Senior MemberPosts: 2,002
Like?
In reply to NefeliM, Apr 1, 2013

I have spent years in Nepal, and done many of the treks, it is my favorite country on earth.  I have never used any of the X-system, but often follow it, here are some thoughts:

1) Which trek will you do?  You will definitely want more than 1 extra battery (I would consider at least 4).  Different treks have different availability to recharge batteries.  If I was going with only a Fuji X-system camera, I would take at least 5.  On the flip side, you will likely shoot JPEG which at least cuts down on memory used.

2) I was hoping this thread would contain lots of examples of landscape photos with the Fuji X-system.  I like the lens and lens line-up, I wouldn't be too upset not being able to go wider than - say - 14 (even the 18-55 as a one lens solution, or the x100s), but I am still weary of how the X-sensor does with landscapes.  I have generally understood this is not the ideal landscape camera but excels with portraits.  Would love to see examples howing me otherwise.

3) Lenses depends on you.  I agree that the 18-55 is a nobrainer for walking around. Most obvious compliment is the 14, especially for a trek, but there are plenty of arguments for the 60 (for compressing landscapes and sharpness, and I love macro in general), 35 (supposed to be the best lens in the lineup, and a nice walk around length) and even the 18 (nice small walkaround in KTM). If I were doing only two for a trek, I would likely go 18-55 and 14, but would probably take all four (minus the 18) myself.

Any questions about Nepal feel free to ask, I currently work in Afghanistan, but may very well be on that side of the world during the same time.  All the best, and enjoy!

-TBri

PG Thomas
Contributing MemberPosts: 575Gear list
Like?

X-E1, + Spare bateries, 14mm & the Zoom.  I would take the 8mm, but tha'ts just my bent.

Spare camera:X10 (will be cheap now and give you the extra reach)

Tripod: If small, light and versitile is essential (which it is) then I would take an Ultra-Pod

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ultra-pod&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_l5ZUefkCsSp0QXfvYDwBg&ved=0CHkQsAQ&biw=1710&bih=886

PG Thomas's gear list:PG Thomas's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
TORN
Contributing MemberPosts: 742
Like?

Depending on your route and photographical habits just make sure to carry up to half a dozen spare batteries with a mirrorless camera while in DSLR-land 1 might be enough. While the Fuji 18-55 is surely not heavy it is surely not small. A tamron 17-50 on a DSLR could do the trick as well and you would have a lot of tele-options available with a DSLR. Most mft cameras have less weight and are smaller and offer a wider lens selection. The Fuji system covers some kind of middleground between mft and a small DSLR setup when it comes to overall size.

Ultimately of course a Fuji X will do if lenses, batteries and size is what you want.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads