Fujifilm X System suited as a travel/landscape camera

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Questions
NefeliM
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
Fujifilm X System suited as a travel/landscape camera
Mar 30, 2013

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker on this website/forum, but now i could use some personal advice. Me and my wife planned a trip in November to Nepal to do some trekking in the Himalaya's. I've sold my old setup (40D, lenses, flash, etc) because it was just to "heavy"/bulky so i ended up leaving it at home in the end. I was wondering if an X system would be suited as a travel/landscape camera. And if so which one would be your choice? an x-pro1/e-x1 because of the flexibility of the lenses or an X100/X100s because the wide-angle is versatile enough for landscape/traveling.

Thanks for reading!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,553Gear list
Like?
Re: Fujifilm X System suited as a travel/landscape camera
In reply to NefeliM, Mar 30, 2013

NefeliM wrote:

Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker on this website/forum, but now i could use some personal advice. Me and my wife planned a trip in November to Nepal to do some trekking in the Himalaya's. I've sold my old setup (40D, lenses, flash, etc) because it was just to "heavy"/bulky so i ended up leaving it at home in the end. I was wondering if an X system would be suited as a travel/landscape camera. And if so which one would be your choice? an x-pro1/e-x1 because of the flexibility of the lenses or an X100/X100s because the wide-angle is versatile enough for landscape/traveling.

Thanks for reading!

Hi,

Not long ago I would have recommended the X100. Simply because I really love the camera and I like to shoot at this focal length.

Since I got the 14mm that has changed. This lens is a dream if you like ultra wide angles.

I would bring:

X Pro-1 + 14 + 35

Perfect small and light and it will give you images comparable to a full frame DSLR.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,383Gear list
Like?

I think the question here comes down to this, is one focal length good enough for my trip?

X100 is a wonderful camera, small, light, and takes great pictures. But if it was me, I would want more than one focal length, especially for a major trip. To that end I think the fuji zoom plus a wide(er) lens like the 14mm would cover just about all situations easily. Alternatively a 14mm and 35mm prime may also do the trick.

In any case Fuji X is a fabulous travel camera/system.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
NefeliM
Like?
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, Mar 30, 2013

Hi Joachim Gerstl, thanks for your reply.

The x-pro1 is on the top of my list (followed by the e-x1), it's just that the X100s (and especially the X100 now that the X100s came out) are a whole lot cheaper. Then again you're "stuck" with that lens and that was kinda worrying me. Thanks again! an extra + goes to the x-pro

NefeliM
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Mar 30, 2013

Thanks Al Valentino! I think you (and Joachim Gerstl) are right... better to go with the more versatile  setup of an ILC on this trip.

Then between the x-pro1 and the e-x1, the e-x1 is a bit lighter, got a longer battery life and is cheaper are there any plusses on the x-pro for this trip that the e-x1 doesn't have?

Skulmoski
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?

In January 2013 I visited Nepal with my X-Pro1 and 35mm. I liked the combo.

http://razzi.me/albums/22412-nepal-color

Enjoy your tirp.

GJS

vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,626
Like?

NefeliM wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for reading!

Hi,

Every ounce matters in Himalayas

I would consider equipment that will allow you to travel as light as possible and yet bring wonderful pictures. You won't need an extra wide lens, there are plenty of space in mountains. But you will need flash (for portraits against harsh sun) and light tripod (sunsets/sunrises are just incredible).

My recommendation:

1. EX-1 with 18-55 and spare battery and memory cards - primary

2. X20 (your wife can use it, also as a  backup)

3. Very light tripod, something like this. Looks flimsy, but it worked very well with light camera during my trip to Italy, just take off the stupid handle.

4. No need for photo bags, but take couple zip lock bags. Keep your cameras in your normal trekking backpack.

Have fun and share your adventure with us.

vkphoto

NefeliM
Like?
In reply to Skulmoski, Mar 30, 2013

WOW amazing shots! Were you comfortable carrying one focal length? or were there times you wish you had a zoom/multiple lenses with you? Thanks for sharing!

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,383Gear list
Like?

NefeliM wrote:

Thanks Al Valentino! I think you (and Joachim Gerstl) are right... better to go with the more versatile  setup of an ILC on this trip.

Then between the x-pro1 and the e-x1, the e-x1 is a bit lighter, got a longer battery life and is cheaper are there any plusses on the x-pro for this trip that the e-x1 doesn't have?

Battery life will not be significantly different. It depends on how much you use the EVF or LCD, and of course how many shots you take. I always carry a spare battery with me with my XE1. Yesterday I shot about 220 pictures and my battery was empty at the end of the day. I have a generic spare that cost me $20 USD. For a trip I might want 2 spares.

I can't comment on Xpro1 vs EX1 as this is more personal preference. But smaller and lighter might be desired and if you want the zoom vs the 35mm prime then the package that includes the lenses of choice at a discount might be the way to go. Zoom is really nice and versatile and has stabilization and focuses slightly faster than the 35mm, but the 35mm will let you do shallow DOF. Both are great lenses. I love the zoom and it is sharper than my old Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 and even my slower Nikon 16-85 f/5.6 VR.

For any architecture or views from the top of tall places a wide lens is the way to go, including a 8mm fisheye lens with is very inexpensive and sharp

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Antone
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?

NefeliM wrote:

I was wondering if an X system would be suited as a travel/landscape camera. And if so which one would be your choice? an x-pro1/e-x1 because of the flexibility of the lenses or an X100/X100s because the wide-angle is versatile enough for landscape/traveling.

I do a lot of hiking in the US mountain west (Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, California) and I picked up the X-E1 for this reason. I had been lugging around my Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70, 70-200 f/4L IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE and Zeiss 50mm ZE makro. It was a substantially heavy kit, particularly going uphill.

Now I have the Fuji 18-55, Canon New FD 80-200 f/4L and Canon New FD 50mm f/3.5 macro. I'll be getting the Fuji 14mm in the next few weeks (now that spring is here). In total, the weight is now less than half of what I had been carrying. Plus, I can take along one of my FD bodies to shoot film, too, for those really high dynamic range scenes that digital still cannot capture.

-- hide signature --

Tony-S

Imagefoundry
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?

NefeliM wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for reading!

Up in the mountains you would want the widest lens you can get, unless you are willing to do panoramas. Just my 2 cents.

Antone
Contributing MemberPosts: 740
Like?
In reply to Imagefoundry, Mar 30, 2013

Imagefoundry wrote:

Up in the mountains you would want the widest lens you can get, unless you are willing to do panoramas. Just my 2 cents.

You certainly need wide angle, but you also need telephoto.

-- hide signature --

Tony-S

Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

X-Pro1 + 18-55 + 35 for my travels at the moment. I'm happy.

Only downside is that the 18-55 gets some oddly blurry images sometimes (rare). Haven't really figured that out.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
NefeliM
Like?
In reply to vkphoto, Mar 30, 2013

Thanks vkphoto, i'll give your post some serious thoughts but i think you hit the nail on the head for me Good point about the backup camera, i hadn't thought about that!! I'll let you know what i ended up with and yes i will share my trip Thanks again!

1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,291Gear list
Like?
In reply to vkphoto, Mar 30, 2013

X10|20 as a backup and discrete camera (can be a huge benefit in some situations) is a great recommendation.

Superwides (14mm) ain't necessary in fact if you plan to use it only for landascapes - much more impressive results can be achieved by stitching 3-4 shots made at 18mm.

-

Moscow VR blog - http://1drey.wordpress.com

1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
NefeliM
Like?

Thanks all for your advice! For now i know i'll be traveling with either the x-pro or the x-e1 as my primary. I don't know for sure about the lenses and which backup camera i'll take. For now i'm leaning towards vkphoto's suggestion of the x-e1 + 18-55 as a primary and something like the x20 as a backup. I'll do some research this weekend and let you know what i decided. Thanks again!

Texchappy
Regular MemberPosts: 185Gear list
Like?
In reply to Antone, Mar 30, 2013

Antone wrote:

Imagefoundry wrote:

You certainly need wide angle, but you also need telephoto.

-- hide signature --

Tony-S

If the 55-200 comes out before your next trip I'd look at it.  I like telephotos a lot so I'll definitely be looking to see how it reviews.  For me, a kit to travel with the 14mm (which I'm drooling over but haven't gotten yet because I have the 18mm), 35mm, and 55-200 would be a good travel kit.  Noticed some really good deals on used X100 so maybe you could get both and use the X100 as a backup as opposed to the X20 if you find one of those deals.  I'd probably leave the wonderful 35mm off the kit above if I could do that.

BTW, I own the XP1 with three original lenses (18,35,60).  I love the OVF for the ability to see outside the lines to compose.

Texchappy's gear list:Texchappy's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 650D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +3 more
NefeliM
Like?
In reply to 1drey, Mar 30, 2013

I don't know to which area we will be going to but if we would go to lets say Gokyo Ri then i thinka 14mm would be too wide to get a nice shot from Everest and the other Eight-thousanders next to it. I think having a narrower lens and stitching a panorama would be more rewarding... But that 14mm would be perfect for the Tengboche monastery... Choices choices

baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,025Gear list
Like?

I have X100 and XP1 with 6 lenses

For travel and landcsape go for XP1 and choose and carry the lenses that suit you best according to your shooting style

The 14mm is ideal for landscape with very good IQ so a rather compact package could well be 14mm and 18-55

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
NefeliM
Like?
In reply to Texchappy, Mar 30, 2013

There are some good deals on the X100, i've seen them go for 550 euro's! Might be a good alternative for the X20, i'll keep that in mind thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads