Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?
Re: G15 - CHDK
In reply to MisterPootieCat, Mar 31, 2013

MisterPootieCat wrote:

CSPoole wrote:

CHDK not available on the G15.

Thanks, CSPoole

The VERS.REQ trick is not CHDK dependent but won't work on the G15 because the two buttons you need to hold down are now on the 4 way controller making it impossible to select both at the same time.

That is unavailable to the G15. Thanks for the more information.

CSPoole

CSPoole's gear list:CSPoole's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterPootieCat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,978Gear list
Like?
In reply to CSPoole, Mar 31, 2013

CSPoole wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

CSPoole wrote:

Thanks, CSPoole

The VERS.REQ trick is not CHDK dependent but won't work on the G15 because the two buttons you need to hold down are now on the 4 way controller making it impossible to select both at the same time.

CSPoole

Yes, CHDK is not available for the G15 but the VERS.REQ trick has nothing to do with CHDK. This "trick" simply requires creating an empty text file named vers.req and copying it to the root folder of your SD card. I'm not sure why having this file on the card makes the camera behave this way.

A few years back I bought a PowerShot from a guy on craigslist, had my memory card with the file loaded and confirmed actual shutter count was right in the ball park. A handy thing to have when buying used gear.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +18 more
CSPoole
Like?

MisterPootieCat wrote:

CSPoole wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

CSPoole wrote:

Thanks, CSPoole

CSPoole

Yes, CHDK is not available for the G15 but the VERS.REQ trick has nothing to do with CHDK. This "trick" simply requires creating an empty text file named vers.req and copying it to the root folder of your SD card. I'm not sure why having this file on the card makes the camera behave this way.

A few years back I bought a PowerShot from a guy on craigslist, had my memory card with the file loaded and confirmed actual shutter count was right in the ball park. A handy thing to have when buying used gear.

Has nothing to do with CHDK?

Thank, CSPoole

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
MisterPootieCat
Like?

CSPoole wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

CSPoole wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

CSPoole wrote:

Thanks, CSPoole

CSPoole

Has nothing to do with CHDK?

Thank, CSPoole

Well, I suppose one of the CHDK developers might've stumbled onto this trick. But as a case in point: I used the VERS.REQ trick on my G10's before CHDK was released for them and it worked perfectly.

I'm hoping someone will try the ACID application and let me know if it works.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +18 more
CSPoole
Like?

Well you think Canon gave it to you? CHDK has been around long before G10.

Thanks, CSPoole

MisterPootieCat
Like?

CSPoole wrote:

Well you think Canon gave it to you? CHDK has been around long before G10.

Thanks, CSPoole

I give up.

CSPoole
Like?
Re: G15 - CHDK- No Giving Up !

Acid and any given CHDK project be Glad to Help !

Thanks,CSPoole

RLBur
Contributing MemberPosts: 670Gear list
Like?
Re: Use ACID

Hi MisterPootieCat,

I don't believe ACID will identify shutter actuations.  I've used it before to identify firmware and camera info for proper CHDK versions.  At least it didn't give shutter actuations for my S100.  After installing CHDK...I was able to.

Randy

RLBur's gear list:RLBur's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot SD990 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D +6 more
MisterPootieCat
Like?
In reply to RLBur, Mar 31, 2013

RLBur wrote:

Hi MisterPootieCat,

I don't believe ACID will identify shutter actuations.  I've used it before to identify firmware and camera info for proper CHDK versions.  At least it didn't give shutter actuations for my S100.  After installing CHDK...I was able to.

Randy

So, no way to get the actual shutter count on the G15 for now. Thanks.

CSPoole
Like?

I guess , I did not explain it right ! Start to read from this post:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51187773

Thanks,CSPoole

MisterPootieCat
Like?

I've tried this in the past and fail to see anything in the extracted data that could be connected with the shutter count. There are numerous entries listed as "Canon Camera Info Unknown" and maybe the shutter count is listed there but having viewed a half dozen consecutive images from my G15 even that theory doesn't hold up, they seem to vary too much and in different directions.

If you're of the impression it actually works for obtaining shutter activations maybe you could provide some additional illumination?

Quick update: the viewer does give you information about the file, in my case it was 103-14XX which does match the folder name and current image names. Since I've never reset the file naming or swapped cards I know this is close but it fails to take HDR or handheld night scene images into consideration (the camera fires the shutter multiple times and merges them in camera), my last image is numbered 1455 but I know the actual shutter activation count is much closer to 1500 (or higher) due to this.

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,714Gear list
Like?

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Oh dear.. that's a bit of a blow..I was hoping I could use that trick to satisfy myself on the REAL usage of this one I'm buying.  As it's a fairly new-ish camera (model) and IS guaranteed to be in absolute Mint condition I know I'm probably being a bit OTT .. but I am just that way - hope to be able to rely on what I'm told when buying a 'used' camera..I've bought quite a few in my time this way and so far not been let down... it's just that this one is a sort of second choice - I certainly don't want to pay top new UK price (it's way too high...) and hope to get a really good "used" one but with very low shutter use. It's not the shutter-use itself, as of course they should certainly have a long life normally , but it's more HOW a camera is used if it is with a higher pic count.
Well - I'll soon know now I giess..camera may be arriving tomorow..

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

ericN2
Like?

MisterPootieCat wrote:

ericN2 wrote:

Does anybody know what may be the button-presses to find out true total shutter actuations on the G15 ?
I'm buying what is definiitely a used one although totally Mint.. but shutter count has clerarly been Reset in-camera and I'd like to know what is the true activation count.. has anybiody found the button-presses for this...if there is one...

I don't really want to use CHDK as I am not officialy the full owner at this stage until finally accepted .. and of course would like to do it if possible othewise

CHDK Wiki recommends using this application:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/ACID

Java on my PC is hosed so I can't run it, let me know if it actually works.

Well now ..  since it now seems that VERS.REQ does not work on the G15 because the two required buttons are just not available on this moidel...I'm game for anything that is simple and works.. and had high hopes of this ACID ...
So I've just gone  to the site referred to in the link, got the info for ACID and in fact d/loaded it..It runs fine on my computer and came up very promisingly with a screen of the program waiting for a file. Duly obliged by choosing a file from my old G9..it worked on it instantly and indeed comes up with just about all the general info such as file location/file number/ date and time etc..a lot of others including Firmware of the camera.. but NO MENTION at all of shutter count ...
So it seems to be another dead end alas....

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

ericN2
Like?
Re: G15 - total shutter actuations ..

CSPoole wrote:

Maybe try this:

http://regex.info/exif.cgi

Seems to work with the SX50. Tried Jpeg from my computer, gave file number correct.

Not sure about a reset.

Thanks, CSPoole

I've tried that other program from the link above - maybe when it was you (?) who first mentioned it. It's based of course on PHil Harvey's EXIF Tool and then some !!!. .massive amount of info .. but just about everything but what I'm after right now..shutter count...  it just does not show this.

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

ericN2
Like?

MisterPootieCat wrote:

I've tried this in the past and fail to see anything in the extracted data that could be connected with the shutter count. There are numerous entries listed as "Canon Camera Info Unknown" and maybe the shutter count is listed there but having viewed a half dozen consecutive images from my G15 even that theory doesn't hold up, they seem to vary too much and in different directions.

If you're of the impression it actually works for obtaining shutter activations maybe you could provide some additional illumination?

Quick update: the viewer does give you information about the file, in my case it was 103-14XX which does match the folder name and current image names. Since I've never reset the file naming or swapped cards I know this is close but it fails to take HDR or handheld night scene images into consideration (the camera fires the shutter multiple times and merges them in camera), my last image is numbered 1455 but I know the actual shutter activation count is much closer to 1500 (or higher) due to this.

Am I being silly or just DOING something silly.. but I got the ACID program and have run it without difficulty on my computer..Browsed for any suitable file to use with it and it does instantly open and run a big list of activities in the large lower window...then it shows a few details in seperate window blocks..but NONE of these seem to show any indication at all of SHUTTER COUNT ..  the only mention of even the file (pic) number is that which of course is shown in the Browse window - obviously it's the one you chose to deal with so must show the same number as it is picked up from your computer (I leave all my pic files with original number and just add suffixes for such as the type of edit most usually. but there sems nothing in ACID which shows the PROCESSED file reference number which could be regarded as some sort of shutter count.. 
Am I missing someting ??

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

MisterPootieCat
Like?
In reply to ericN2, Mar 31, 2013

ericN2 wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

ericN2 wrote:

Does anybody know what may be the button-presses to find out true total shutter actuations on the G15 ?
I'm buying what is definiitely a used one although totally Mint.. but shutter count has clerarly been Reset in-camera and I'd like to know what is the true activation count.. has anybiody found the button-presses for this...if there is one...

I don't really want to use CHDK as I am not officialy the full owner at this stage until finally accepted .. and of course would like to do it if possible othewise

CHDK Wiki recommends using this application:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/ACID

Java on my PC is hosed so I can't run it, let me know if it actually works.

Well now ..  since it now seems that VERS.REQ does not work on the G15 because the two required buttons are just not available on this moidel...I'm game for anything that is simple and works.. and had high hopes of this ACID ...
So I've just gone  to the site referred to in the link, got the info for ACID and in fact d/loaded it..It runs fine on my computer and came up very promisingly with a screen of the program waiting for a file. Duly obliged by choosing a file from my old G9..it worked on it instantly and indeed comes up with just about all the general info such as file location/file number/ date and time etc..a lot of others including Firmware of the camera.. but NO MENTION at all of shutter count ...
So it seems to be another dead end alas....

Thanks for trying it out, java on this PC is hosed and I haven't tried to get it sorted out. It looks like the only recourse would be to send the camera to Canon and ask them for the shutter count. I doubt many would go to that trouble. Maybe someone will come up with a hack?

MisterPootieCat
Like?

ericN2 wrote:

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Oh dear.. that's a bit of a blow..I was hoping I could use that trick to satisfy myself on the REAL usage of this one I'm buying.  As it's a fairly new-ish camera (model) and IS guaranteed to be in absolute Mint condition I know I'm probably being a bit OTT .. but I am just that way - hope to be able to rely on what I'm told when buying a 'used' camera..I've bought quite a few in my time this way and so far not been let down... it's just that this one is a sort of second choice - I certainly don't want to pay top new UK price (it's way too high...) and hope to get a really good "used" one but with very low shutter use. It's not the shutter-use itself, as of course they should certainly have a long life normally , but it's more HOW a camera is used if it is with a higher pic count.
Well - I'll soon know now I guess..camera may be arriving tomorrow..

Shutter count on P&S cameras isn't quite as important as it is on DSLR's. How the camera was handled is much more important, the lens mechanisms are easily damaged when subjected to drops and bumps.

ericN2
Like?

MisterPootieCat wrote:

Shutter count on P&S cameras isn't quite as important as it is on DSLR's. How the camera was handled is much more important, the lens mechanisms are easily damaged when subjected to drops and bumps.

Yes, that is of course the sensible line of thought and as I now find that the fairly easy way of checking true shutter actuations is indeed not workable on the G15 maybe I should lose my over-sensitive thoughts and just rely on pure handling when I get it (hopefully tomorrow on a returnable trial basis.  I do hope it is OK as it is a 'steal' really and I would have a G15 which I am really looking forward to after getting a real handling of one  locally last week.. at about TWICE the cost !!

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

MisterPootieCat
Like?

It's unfortunate that prices for camera gear in the EU are so crazy. I'd be out scrounging for a deal myself, just hope this deal you found works out okay. Keep us posted!

ericN2
Like?

MisterPootieCat wrote:

It's unfortunate that prices for camera gear in the EU are so crazy. I'd be out scrounging for a deal myself, just hope this deal you found works out okay. Keep us posted!

When Amazon UK list it at £425 and Currys UK (a BIG Superstore where I first-time handled it last week) have it at £470 !!   .  the one I awat is "literally as MINT" .. at a bargained deal £275...
NOW you see why I'm anxious for this not to be a bad egg !!

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads