G15 - total shutter actuations ..

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,481Gear list
Like?
G15 - total shutter actuations ..
Mar 30, 2013

Does anybody know what may be the button-presses to find out true total shutter actuations on the G15 ?
I'm buying what is definiitely a used one although totally Mint.. but shutter count has clerarly been Reset in-camera and I'd like to know what is the true activation count.. has anybiody found the button-presses for this...if there is one...

I don't really want to use CHDK as I am not officialy the full owner at this stage until finally accepted .. and of course would like to do it if possible othewise

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

ericN2's gear list:ericN2's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,133Gear list
Like?
Re: G15 - total shutter actuations ..
In reply to ericN2, Mar 30, 2013

ericN2 wrote:

I'm buying what is definiitely a used one although totally Mint.. but shutter count has clerarly been Reset in-camera and I'd like to know what is the true activation count..

No one can reset the actual shutter count, only the file numbering......there are several programs to provide shutter actuations but they are mostly for DSLR bodies where there is more of a concern since there is a mirror box but I haven't seen any for compact cameras.

If the body looks cosmetically mint and the provided images look good I see no reason to worry about shutter actuations in a compact.........

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ericN2
Like?
In reply to Hank3152, Mar 30, 2013

Hank3152 wrote:

ericN2 wrote:

I'm buying what is definiitely a used one although totally Mint.. but shutter count has clerarly been Reset in-camera and I'd like to know what is the true activation count..

No one can reset the actual shutter count, only the file numbering......there are several programs to provide shutter actuations but they are mostly for DSLR bodies where there is more of a concern since there is a mirror box but I haven't seen any for compact cameras.

If the body looks cosmetically mint and the provided images look good I see no reason to worry about shutter actuations in a compact.........

Hank -

I do know that you can only reset the file numbering..very easily in menus of most.. but cannot reset the actuations..as that is a camera firmware item... but that is what can determine the true usage of a camera.. whether or not it shoiws any fault is another matter but of course it can show maybe why a camera is sold too cheaply be general standards..  and that is what I have in mind here.

But I've now found some quite older posts on here that do seem to suggest that using a folder VERS.REQ file on an SD card in camera can give the true actuations figure..This has proved to apply to earlier G' up to G12 even.. and so I'm hoping when I have the camera to inspect, it may give me a little more info that I'd certainly ike to have.. the camea counter number right now is ridicuklously low and I'm sure has been reset at some point..

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
CSPoole
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?

Maybe try this:

http://regex.info/exif.cgi

Seems to work with the SX50. Tried Jpeg from my computer, gave file number correct.

Not sure about a reset.

Thanks, CSPoole

CSPoole's gear list:CSPoole's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,133Gear list
Like?

ericN2 wrote:

Hank3152 wrote:

ericN2 wrote:

No one can reset the actual shutter count, only the file numbering......

Hank -

I do know that you can only reset the file numbering..very easily in menus of most.. but cannot reset the actuations..

But your first post said the shutter count was reset hence the reason for my response..........actuations and shutter count are the same thing

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
ericN2
Like?

ericN2 wrote:

Hank3152 wrote:

ericN2 wrote:

Hank -

I do know that you can only reset the file numbering..very easily in menus of most.. but cannot reset the actuations..as that is a camera firmware item... but that is what can determine the true usage of a camera.. whether or not it shoiws any fault is another matter but of course it can show maybe why a camera is sold too cheaply be general standards..  and that is what I have in mind here.

But I've now found some quite older posts on here that do seem to suggest that using a folder VERS.REQ file on an SD card in camera can give the true actuations figure..This has proved to apply to earlier G' up to G12 even.. and so I'm hoping when I have the camera to inspect, it may give me a little more info that I'd certainly ike to have.. the camea counter number right now is ridicuklously low and I'm sure has been reset at some point..

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Hank -

Now I'M confused... just came to give a quick response to yours here in direct reply to the above.. and I get a message off the Forum that yours has been deleted..  why..I'm not at all clear.. but I did just want to say sory if I confused you or anyone..I did mean originally FILE numbers as recorded now in-camera.. seems very low indeed and I just wanted to see if I could get at the true total actuations in Firmware..I think that VERS.REQ file on a card may still do it...

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
ericN2
Like?
In reply to CSPoole, Mar 30, 2013

CSPoole wrote:

Maybe try this:

http://regex.info/exif.cgi

Seems to work with the SX50. Tried Jpeg from my computer, gave file number correct.

Not sure about a reset.

Thanks, CSPoole

Good Heavens... it does give a lot of info doesn't it !!. although on the one image I tried it on it didn't give me the real pic-number that I was after in my original quest.
Good little program though and I've Bokmarked it for easy re-use.. thanks

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
CSPoole
Like?

In the other files below the file number, which I do not understand. It might be contained there. The SX50 and the G15 should be similar. Now the cameras, can be shot 3-? to form 1 file. Might also give frames for the movies? Just not that smart.

Thanks,CSPoole

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
panamforeman
Contributing MemberPosts: 797Gear list
Like?

ericN2 wrote:

Does anybody know what may be the button-presses to find out true total shutter actuations on the G15 ?
I'm buying what is definiitely a used one although totally Mint.. but shutter count has clerarly been Reset in-camera and I'd like to know what is the true activation count.. has anybiody found the button-presses for this...if there is one...

I don't really want to use CHDK as I am not officialy the full owner at this stage until finally accepted .. and of course would like to do it if possible othewise

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Try this. It works on G10,11,12:

This should work on the G series. (I know it works on the G11.)

Using an SD card reader, put a blank card in the reader, and create a new, empty folder named VERS.REQ at the root level of the data card. (e.g. if the drive letter the reader uses for the card is "G:" then the file will be G:\VERS.REQ and not G:\DCIM\VERS.REQ or whatever.)

Put that card in the G, then start in Preview mode.

Hold down the SET button and press DISPLAY

The Firmware Version will display.

Repeat the above step and the second screen will display more internal version info.

Repeat again and the third screen will display an item "Total Shoot:" followed by a number. The number is the total number of shots by the camera.

panamforeman's gear list:panamforeman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,175
Like?

ericN2 wrote:

Yes, I think you are worrying too much about nothing. If you are really so concerned about buying a used camera that has only been available for 7 or so months,  just buy a new one instead.

CSPoole
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Mar 30, 2013

I would recommend threaded view when posting.

Thanks, CSPoole

ericN2
Like?
In reply to panamforeman, Mar 30, 2013

panamforeman wrote:

Using an SD card reader, put a blank card in the reader, and create a new, empty folder named VERS.REQ at the root level of the data card. (e.g. if the drive letter the reader uses for the card is "G:" then the file will be G:\VERS.REQ and not G:\DCIM\VERS.REQ or whatever.)

Repeat the above step and the second screen will display more internal version info.

Repeat again and the third screen will display an item "Total Shoot:" followed by a number. The number is the total number of shots by the camera.

Yes.. that is exactly what I found and intend to try , as it does seem very likely - snce it seems to work on almost all the G's nearly to the G15 at least..
I found a thread with this detail in a post of about two years ago.. from memory , it seems almost word-for-word as you post here and indeed it may well be YOUR earlier post ?? .. but it does seem good to try..I know I have used something very much like it on some other camera..funny if indeed it was another G  !!

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
CSPoole
Like?

CHDK for the G15 has not really started to be ported yet.

Thanks, CSPoole

RLBur
Contributing MemberPosts: 555Gear list
Like?
Re: G15 - CHDK

Hello Eric,

I wanted to find the number of total clicks on my S100...the more traditional ways of doing that as with the S95 and previous models would not work with the S100.

I had to go to the CHDK forum and install CHDK for my S100 and then jump through a few hoops running the software to get the total number of shots.  I do not have the G15 and don't know if CHDK is yet available for it.  If it is available, you can install CHDK and get your information.

For the S100 it was a little complicated, but I was able to do it and I'm sure you can too.

Randy

RLBur's gear list:RLBur's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot SD990 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D +6 more
CSPoole
Like?
In reply to RLBur, Mar 30, 2013

CHDK not available on the G15.

Thanks, CSPoole

ericN2
Like?
In reply to RLBur, Mar 30, 2013

RLBur wrote:

Hello Eric,

I wanted to find the number of total clicks on my S100...the more traditional ways of doing that as with the S95 and previous models would not work with the S100.

I had to go to the CHDK forum and install CHDK for my S100 and then jump through a few hoops running the software to get the total number of shots.  I do not have the G15 and don't know if CHDK is yet available for it.  If it is available, you can install CHDK and get your information.

For the S100 it was a little complicated, but I was able to do it and I'm sure you can too.

Randy

Randy -

I did try CHDK with what I'm sure was an earlier G..think it may have been the G7 ..  it worked OK but I was never comfortable in how it was used and gave it up very quickly..  but I now find that there is a system which works on many G's with a VERS.REQ file on the SD card.. and a couple or so button presses so I'm going to try that when I get the camera in my hands..maybe Tuesday now with the Holiday W/E

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
RLBur
Contributing MemberPosts: 555Gear list
Like?

Hi Eric,

Hopefully that method will work on your G15, I know that on my S100 it would not.

Randy

RLBur's gear list:RLBur's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot SD990 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D +6 more
MisterPootieCat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,964Gear list
Like?
VERS.REQ doesn't work with the G15
In reply to panamforeman, Mar 31, 2013

panamforeman wrote:

ericN2 wrote:

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

This doesn't seem to work on the G15, due to the SET and DISPLAY functions being on the same 4 way controller now. On the CHDK website they mention an application that might work, apparently you drag and drop an image on the app and it will provide actual shutter activations. Haven't tried it yet with the G15.

But the procedure you mention works great on every other PowerShot I've owned.

MisterPootieCat's gear list:MisterPootieCat's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +17 more
MisterPootieCat
Like?
In reply to CSPoole, Mar 31, 2013

CSPoole wrote:

CHDK not available on the G15.

Thanks, CSPoole

The VERS.REQ trick is not CHDK dependent but won't work on the G15 because the two buttons you need to hold down are now on the 4 way controller making it impossible to select both at the same time.

Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G10 Minolta DiMAGE Z1 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2 +17 more
MisterPootieCat
Like?
Use ACID
In reply to ericN2, Mar 31, 2013

ericN2 wrote:

CHDK Wiki recommends using this application:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/ACID

Java on my PC is hosed so I can't run it, let me know if it actually works.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads