Quick ? regarding file transfer from PC Server.

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Questions
DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,653Gear list
Like?
Quick ? regarding file transfer from PC Server.
Mar 30, 2013

Good morning -

I am not quite sure about this and I never found a clear answer through Google.

I need to transfer files off a network connected PC server to a mac external drive.

The problem is that my network has been acting up and dropping connections.

I can't figure out what's wrong so I am loath to trust it to transfer some critical files by copying and pasting through my (also network connected) Mac to the mac drive.

In the interim I need to copy my server files to a Mac (HFTS+) formated drive ASAP.

Can I connect this Mac drive via USB direct to the server and simply copy the files (no need to read/write) ?

I could figure this out empirically by making the connection myself but it involves a lot of manipulation which I would rather not go through if I don't have to.

Many thanks for answering a newb question!

DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,727
Like?
Re: Quick ? regarding file transfer from PC Server.
In reply to DFPanno, Mar 30, 2013

You can't do it via USB but you could ..........

1. buy a small USB disk and copy to that and then connect it to the Mac (21st Century sneakernet)

2. disconnect the PC and Mac from your 'network' and simply connect them together via ethernet (you may have to then assign addresses but some computers will self-assign on the 169 subnet, YMMV) and then use PC file sharing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,907
Like?
In reply to DFPanno, Mar 30, 2013

DFPanno wrote:

In the interim I need to copy my server files to a Mac (HFTS+) formated drive ASAP.

Can I connect this Mac drive via USB direct to the server and simply copy the files (no need to read/write) ?

Windows doesn't know how to read or write HFS+ volumes.  I think there is a commercial third-party HFS+ implementation, but if you had that, you wouldn't be asking the question.

If the volume of data you have to transfer is small enough, you might try using a USB flash drive, or a USB card reader + a memory card, to transport the files from the PC to the Mac.

mihama01
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Mar 31, 2013

Yes buy a cheap USB disk, and copy your files to it, then attach to Mac.

Mac will read/write FAT32 format and read NTFS format so buy a PC formatted USB disk

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads