About best LED Monitor for Photography and anything else

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Questions
naththo
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
About best LED Monitor for Photography and anything else
Mar 30, 2013

Hi,

It is a hard time for most of us photography to search for the best LED/LCD monitor that can be offered to us that requires excellent result of as in list: High contrast ratio (deeper black), good saturation of sRGB usually at 100% (care factor zero on Adobe RGB sorry guys), no banding at all required, light uniform doesn't worry me cos if you want great light uniform you require a more expensive one like Eizo (stuff that who want to pay over $1k for), low lag in millisecond required, smooth colour graduation, colour should be near as accurate as calibrated one to minimise the heavy task of calibration with Spyder4Elite in particular, brightness should be not too bright at default setting. But harsh brightness would be caused by too high contrast, got nothing to do with brightness setting though.

So in question:

Does anyone have the best monitor ever for photography work?

I have been having hard time looking for right one but I am from Australia. Best monitor is very limit resource in Australia unfortunately and is hard to find. Most are cheap one you see in most store. Most photography store will not sell LCD cos no body is buying it they only buy cameras most of time unfortunately. TFT Central is good place to start with review but Im unsure which one. I had a look at BenQ but I avoid cos I saw lots of google result of complaint about horrendous colour banding but BenQ has more accurate colours than LG which is weird though and BenQ has less contrast than LG. Perhap might be due to flaw in design BenQ makes. Dell is very good but again I avoid Dell due to lack of warranty support here in Australia, it is very frustrating for it. I am pretty fussy and nit picking.

naththo's gear list:naththo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN +4 more
ANSWER:
Eddaweaver
Senior MemberPosts: 2,209
Like?
Re: About best LED Monitor for Photography and anything else
In reply to naththo, Mar 30, 2013

The best LCD models are calibrated IPS panel LCDs with 8 or 10 bit colour.

Some 6 bit panels are sold mislabled at being 8 bit.

2560 pixel wide models are the ones aimed at photographers. Some come pre-calibrated at the factory.

Many of the best models aren't LED backlit.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Collette
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,676Gear list
Like?

I think that most people would agree that the Eizo monitors are among the best produced.  However, they are among the most expensive monitors made, as well.

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
naththo
Like?
In reply to Eddaweaver, Mar 30, 2013

Eddaweaver wrote:

The best LCD models are calibrated IPS panel LCDs with 8 or 10 bit colour.

Some 6 bit panels are sold mislabled at being 8 bit.

2560 pixel wide models are the ones aimed at photographers. Some come pre-calibrated at the factory.

Many of the best models aren't LED backlit.

Yeah these are the only one best is IPS but poor low lag time is not acceptable. I found more and more review getting me thinking hrm, its interesting that PLS and AMVA cannot produce banding free. Even my old TN one has no banding at all. I am wonder if there is design flaw in the PLS and AMVA they could have test further make sure that they avoid any banding at all cost? They probably has failed to. 2560 pixel is very expensive in Australia atm and no body is buying. 1920 or less is the cheapest. Australia is probably not the cheapest country in the world when buying electronic. So yeah bad luck for Australia where I live. I would not buy old inferior LCD with CCFL because they are old technology now plus power bill in Australia is very bad, it is getting too expensive to run old CCFL monitor or CRT monitor. Kinda sad is it? I only stick to monitor that is 8bit or higher. Less than 8 bit will produce very nasty banding symptom. Yeah, I have heard about mislead in 8 bit panels which is not very good. I bet less than 8 bit panel will have lower sRGB percentage in calibration result than the 8 bit has nearly 100% sRGB coverage. I noticed that Dell S2440L review is very good but when I saw word banding it start to put me off but thats because its AMVA panel that is more suspect to banding problems. I have been waiting for reply from TFT Central about banding problem in my monitor I bought which got me really annoyed. BenQ GW2750HM I will never buy anymore AMVA again after finding more new screen with AMVA in review start to say more words banding over again. It is really ticking me off big time. I hope that newer LG IPS has improved a lot over the previous version perhap better with less aggressive coating. I have bought several LG in several years and never had single problem with LG brand. And I noticed that the last version of LG IPS did very well with low input lag for games! Im surprised by that. Perhap I should stick to LG next time. BenQ GW2750HM will be sent back to officeworks and issue refund. This is no no for banding problem. I learnt a lesson after reading so much review tonight. Anyway enough of my rant. End /Rant.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN +4 more
Brad99
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,019
Like?

In my admittedly limited experience, most banding is not due to the hardware, it's produced by inferior ICM profiles, e.g. the default driver installed OEM ones.  Even good 6 bit panels can have no banding if such an ICM is removed and plain sRGB used.  A good profile should retain the lack of banding.

naththo
Like?
In reply to Brad99, Mar 30, 2013

Brad99 wrote:

In my admittedly limited experience, most banding is not due to the hardware, it's produced by inferior ICM profiles, e.g. the default driver installed OEM ones.  Even good 6 bit panels can have no banding if such an ICM is removed and plain sRGB used.  A good profile should retain the lack of banding.

Hrm I should try that. Thanks for letting me know on that. It is interesting and I am really curious to see what happen when I put that back on tmw. I will let you know outcome.

NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,465
Like?
Budget please...
In reply to Bob Collette, Mar 30, 2013

Bob Collette wrote:

I think that most people would agree that the Eizo monitors are among the best produced.  However, they are among the most expensive monitors made, as well.

+1 to what Bob has stated.

The OP needs to qualify his subject as "Best LED monitor is the $X to $Y range".

Give us your budget otherwise people will cheerfully keep pointing you to $3000 monitors.

-- hide signature --

NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,465
Like?

naththo wrote:

Brad99 wrote:

Hrm I should try that. Thanks for letting me know on that. It is interesting and I am really curious to see what happen when I put that back on tmw. I will let you know outcome.

naththo, I don't know where you are reading about all these banding issues.  It puzzles me.

I read a handful of monitor reviews every month and have been doing so for several years and banding is seldom a major issue even for most of the 6bit+AFRC (simulated 8bit) monitors which is what you are going to find in monitors under $400 USD with IPS panel s and 95% sRGB coverage.

FYI.... sRGB gamut CCFL back light monitors will typically give you about 96 to 98% coverage of the sRGB space while LED back light monitors will typically give about 94 to 96% coverage of the sRGB space.  There are some new LED back light models that have come into the market in the last 3 months or so that offer about 98 to 99% coverage but I suspect these are outside of your $$ budget range.

You may want to browse the reviews on these two sites to help you focus on what monitor fits into your budget.  Note that these sites custom calibrate their monitors which I believe is essential even for the latest so called "factory calibrated" units.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html

-- hide signature --

naththo
Like?
In reply to naththo, Apr 2, 2013

naththo wrote:

Hi,

It is a hard time for most of us photography to search for the best LED/LCD monitor that can be offered to us that requires excellent result of as in list: High contrast ratio (deeper black), good saturation of sRGB usually at 100% (care factor zero on Adobe RGB sorry guys), no banding at all required, light uniform doesn't worry me cos if you want great light uniform you require a more expensive one like Eizo (stuff that who want to pay over $1k for), low lag in millisecond required, smooth colour graduation, colour should be near as accurate as calibrated one to minimise the heavy task of calibration with Spyder4Elite in particular, brightness should be not too bright at default setting. But harsh brightness would be caused by too high contrast, got nothing to do with brightness setting though.

So in question:

Does anyone have the best monitor ever for photography work?

I have been having hard time looking for right one but I am from Australia. Best monitor is very limit resource in Australia unfortunately and is hard to find. Most are cheap one you see in most store. Most photography store will not sell LCD cos no body is buying it they only buy cameras most of time unfortunately. TFT Central is good place to start with review but Im unsure which one. I had a look at BenQ but I avoid cos I saw lots of google result of complaint about horrendous colour banding but BenQ has more accurate colours than LG which is weird though and BenQ has less contrast than LG. Perhap might be due to flaw in design BenQ makes. Dell is very good but again I avoid Dell due to lack of warranty support here in Australia, it is very frustrating for it. I am pretty fussy and nit picking.

Okay I have done lots of different ways to try get rid of banding. It still there, very frustrating. I am giving up and return that to shop where I bought and never will again buy monitor that is capable of producing horrible halo effect and banding, thats a big no no. Banding or halo effect is always classed as defective as review would say so too. Banding in review will score very low even if they have good colours, good contrast they will still get very low score. If you have problem with purchase after turn on first time you must send back straight away don't waste your time and don't delay it. Forget ask for help forget email, forget any forum. If you have anything that is defective just send back straight away and refund without any arguement. That make your life a lot easier than that. Thats my piece of advice. Probably it is a technology failure for the VA/PLS panel unfortunately. I am not being harsh I am being straightforward and tell the truth as it said so. IPS is another failure also cos of lack of contrast which puts me off as well but IPS still win for colour and banding free otherwise though but not enough contrast is not good call to me. I am sick of it to death. lol!

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
naththo
Like?
Attention moderator please close this thread as it is answered thanks.

Attention moderator please close this thread as it is answered thanks.

Pictus
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,678
Like?

For zero banding even in an artificial gradient, you need a monitor with a programmable hardware internal LUT + 10 bit output.
Check http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/questions/152/10+Bit+Output+Support
and http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50354863

The best LED+IPS is the Eizo CX/CG 240

naththo
Like?
In reply to Pictus, Apr 2, 2013

Pictus wrote:

For zero banding even in an artificial gradient, you need a monitor with a programmable hardware internal LUT + 10 bit output.
Check http://www.imagescience.com.au/kb/questions/152/10+Bit+Output+Support
and http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50354863

The best LED+IPS is the Eizo CX/CG 240

It is too expensive for such amateurish photography like I am as a hobby only. I have had success with 5 old LG has had no banding problem at all, zero banding at 8bit colours or less. The BenQ is the only problem I have had. First time. The rest of other LG were fantastic. LG did well to keep banding to minimal as much as they can. The only banding problem is related to cheaper hardware that is not capable of producing 8bit or not nearly enough to 100% sRGB. LG is always keep price low as they can while they produce good quality LCD all round. I think BenQ has different view of point on how to produce those and BenQ focus on much cheaper hardware. I think it best for me next time I should stick to Dell/LG who have long been around even good quality with very low level of banding or virtually no banding at all. Only two manufacturer I came across on review complained about banding problem pointing finger to mostly BenQ and Samsung and I think its good idea for us to steer clear of actual brand that is prone to have banding problem. The monitor I have been looking for is mostly for all round mix is gaming, photos, movie view like youtube. Thats what I went for. Anyway thanks for your help I willk eep that bookmark for future reference as I have been thinking about getting another one for serious photo viewing only so I can run two monitor at once. For internet and other normal activity I use cheaper monitor while the expensive one I can use for viewing photos and editing. Thats probably good idea.

naththo
Like?

Even smallest size screen should be cheapest to get at best from Eizo is good option for sure.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads