when to change ink cartridge?

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
Craig
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,654
Like?
when to change ink cartridge?
Mar 30, 2013

I know this is probably a stupid question but on ly R2000 I just got a light on my cyan ink cart. and took it out and gave it a little shake. There was still quite a bit of ink left in it.

In fact I ran off another 8x10 and it printed fine.

So should I just change it when the light comes on or just run it till it dies?

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,091
Like?
Re: when to change ink cartridge?
In reply to Craig, Mar 30, 2013

In general, there's a significant amount of ink left in the cart.  Get a replacement and keep an eye on it when printing.  The printer will stop when the cart is truly empty.  Replace the cart then.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,096Gear list
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, Mar 30, 2013

Yes, I never replace a cartridge until it's empty.  I've had once (just once in many years) a print where it ran out of ink part way through the page.

With some earlier Epson printers (e.g. R1800) when you change an ink cartridge it used a huuuuuuuuuuge amount of every ink in recharging the head.  If for example the cyan goes but the yellow is about 1/8 full, then in recharging the new cyan it would empty the yellow, so it was worth replacing the empty cartridge and any others below about 1/8.  However, the R2000 seems to use very little ink on a head charge, and I don't replace any ink cartidge until the printer says I have to.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Craig
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,654
Like?
In reply to Simon Garrett, Mar 30, 2013

Simon Garrett wrote:

Yes, I never replace a cartridge until it's empty.  I've had once (just once in many years) a print where it ran out of ink part way through the page.

With some earlier Epson printers (e.g. R1800) when you change an ink cartridge it used a huuuuuuuuuuge amount of every ink in recharging the head.  If for example the cyan goes but the yellow is about 1/8 full, then in recharging the new cyan it would empty the yellow, so it was worth replacing the empty cartridge and any others below about 1/8.  However, the R2000 seems to use very little ink on a head charge, and I don't replace any ink cartidge until the printer says I have to.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Thanks for the info.. I will just let it run out..

Glad the r2000 is not as thirsty when replacing cartridges as the r1800.

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,605
Like?
In reply to Craig, Mar 31, 2013

Craig wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

-- hide signature --

Simon

Thanks for the info.. I will just let it run out..

Glad the r2000 is not as thirsty when replacing cartridges as the r1800.

You can wait, and even when the printer stops halfway between printing, you can replace on or more carts and the printer will continue without a hint of where it stopped.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,085Gear list
Like?
don't take out, shake up, then re-insert a cartridge, ever!
In reply to Craig, Mar 31, 2013

Craig wrote:

I know this is probably a stupid question but on ly R2000 I just got a light on my cyan ink cart. and took it out and gave it a little shake. There was still quite a bit of ink left in it.

It's a warning light, similar to a "low gas" light on your car.  I ignore it until the cartridge tells the printer it is dead, even though it really isn't empty.

You should not do what you did, because it wastes ink.  There is no need to shake up a cartridge, that only adds air to the volume of ink.  And by taking it out and re-inserting it, your printer likely went through an "ink charging" cycle for all ink tanks which dumps 3 to 5% of the ink out of every ink tank.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,085Gear list
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Mar 31, 2013

jtoolman wrote:

You can wait, and even when the printer stops halfway between printing, you can replace on or more carts and the printer will continue without a hint of where it stopped.

You could but you're going to have a noticeable line where that happened.  I tried that once and it was really noticeable with a fading look to the print until the tank was replaced.  This is why usually the printer will report the cartridge is empty right after making a print or when turning the printer on - so it doesn't die in the middle of a print.

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,091
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Mar 31, 2013

Perhaps thats specific to the 2000 but the 38xx will NOT show a 'line' if you replace the cart mid-print if it's within a reasonable time.

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,605
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Mar 31, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

You could but you're going to have a noticeable line where that happened.  I tried that once and it was really noticeable with a fading look to the print until the tank was replaced.  This is why usually the printer will report the cartridge is empty right after making a print or when turning the printer on - so it doesn't die in the middle of a print.

I've never had a mark on any of these printers.

340 - 380 - 2200 - R1900 - R2400 - R2880 or PRO 3800

I have not allowed my R2000 to run out of one color between a print job just yet so can not say for sure if the R2000 will not leave a mark.

Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,096Gear list
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, Apr 4, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

By chance, an ink ran out today mid-print.  I changed the cartridge and there was no visible line in the print.  (Just as well, I was in a screaming hurry: isn't that always when ink runs out?) This was in high-quality mode on Epson Premium Gloss photo paper on an R2000.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads