5D Mk III owner now also a Fuji X-E1 owner; comments and an unfair comparison.

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
NicholasS
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
5D Mk III owner now also a Fuji X-E1 owner; comments and an unfair comparison.
Mar 30, 2013

I have justed post my thoughts on the Canon forum on having just got the Fuji X-E1 whilst owning the Canon 5D Mk III and being a Canon user for 17 years.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51186858

That the Fuji X-E1 even competes and does so well in comparison given the difference in expense is remarkable. The Fuji X-E1 along with my 5D Mk III are "keepers" for different reasons.

-- hide signature --

Nick

NicholasS's gear list:NicholasS's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?
Re: 5D Mk III owner now also a Fuji X-E1 owner; comments and an unfair comparison.
In reply to NicholasS, Mar 30, 2013

NicholasS wrote:

I have justed post my thoughts on the Canon forum on having just got the Fuji X-E1 whilst owning the Canon 5D Mk III and being a Canon user for 17 years.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51186858

That the Fuji X-E1 even competes and does so well in comparison given the difference in expense is remarkable. The Fuji X-E1 along with my 5D Mk III are "keepers" for different reasons.

-- hide signature --

Nick

Not an unfair review/comparison at all. Both have different uses and strengths!

We have yet to see the 'one-size-fits-all-scenarios' camera ....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list
Like?
Re: 5D Mk III owner now also a Fuji X-E1 owner; comments and an unfair comparison.

I think some of your comments (certainly not all) are indeed not fair.

"The 5D Mk III is so much more responsive and capable of better images (due to the FF, DOF, quality of the L lenses"

DOF does not make an image better, it makes it different. Depending on what one shoots DOF is desired or not desired. So a 56mm f/1.4 would offer similar type of image on a Fuji than 35mm f/1.4 on a FF. If one shoots landscapes then more DOF is desired.

Fuji lenses are superb so quality the best lenses is apples and apples

"When I want to just concentrate on photography it will almost always be the 5D Mk III"

Wow, that is an insulting statement that I think is baseless, different tools for different applications and each does what they are designed to do well

Under Pro's for both cameras you write, "Pros ...Low ISO performance..." I think this is more or less expected, high ISO performance is might be a better test

Perhaps is better to list the types of photography that each does better, keeping in mind that the best camera is the one you have with you and one of these is easier to have with you in many conditions.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Phil Levy
Contributing MemberPosts: 582Gear list
Like?

I agree that it is an unfair (and arguably irrelevant ) comparison. There would have to be something more on offer with the 5D to justify carrying around all that extra bulk and weight. Personally I'm long past all that big stuff  and feel liberated to get on with just the photography now my kit is so much more portable. Each to his/her own though.

-- hide signature --

www.phillevy.co.uk

Phil Levy's gear list:Phil Levy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +12 more
Texchappy
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?

Don't think it's too unfair given the number of users that either have both or move from the Canon (or Nikon) to the Fuji in search of weight savings.  I too am glad that you have found so little difference.

They are very much different tools for different jobs.  I was hoping to go with the Fuji X Pro 1 for all my photographic needs because of an injury to my arms (and weight becoming a big issue).  However, after selling all my Nikon gear to get into the Fuji system, I just bought a Canon T4i kit with plans to get the longer glass in that system.  I'm saving up for a good tripod now to hold'em up for me.

Thanks for providing your insights.

Texchappy's gear list:Texchappy's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 650D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +3 more
crosdaddy
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
In reply to Photozopia, Mar 30, 2013

"we have yet to see a one size fit all" guess you haven't spent much time in the omd forums.

crosdaddy
Regular MemberPosts: 151
Like?
Re: more on offer?
In reply to Phil Levy, Mar 30, 2013

How about shoot'n bugs&flowers with the mp-e65, or butters, dragons & hummers with the 300 f4 on ext's or wildlife using Great Whites??? Guess that's not getting on with photography in your book eh? Well as you say to each their own, I'll just keep on doing my faux photography:-P

itairom
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?

Nice and pretty fair comparison, I'd say. The only point I might take some issue with is in the comparison of lenses. Some of the L lenses are great, but that comes with considerable bulk, while others don't really live up to the hype. Some of Fuji's lenses are also great optically, while others are just extraordinarily practical (the 18-55 comes to mind).

I'd only add that I first bought into mirrorless about two years ago (Olympus E-PL2), and since that time I've kept my Nikon full frame DSLR for many of the same reasons you cite. For example, I figured that when I went out to concentrate on photography I'd take the DSLR, otherwise I'd carry the mirrorless camera.

Today, my mirrorless kit consists of an X-E1 and a Sigma DP3 Merrill, while my DSLR sees less and less use. I'm thinking it's finally time to move purely to mirrorless. Between the Fuji and Sigma I'm really not missing much. Neither camera is as responsive as the DSLR, but for my work it really doesn't matter.

skimble
Senior MemberPosts: 6,167Gear list
Like?

For sure a big plus is the pleasure using a camera like the X series, it makes you picking it up and taking it with you. The cannon is what you use when you know what you want to shoot. I;m an X100 user and strongly think about the Cannon as a back-up but want to wait for the 200mm lens for the X series before going this step.

skimble's gear list:skimble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 70D
NicholasS
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Mar 30, 2013

Whoops I did mean high ISO, low light!!

I do not have enough experience of Fuji lens but will restate that there is an extensive lens line-up with Canon and that lenses like the 70-200mm f2.8L just do not exist for the X-E1 therefore there are more quality options with the Canon system (or with Nikon).

The EVF and lack of speed will for me mean the 5D Mk III will be the preferred camera for purely photography based excursions but given the weight issue and the fact that 70% of the time I just want a camera with me when travelling and photography is not sole reason I am out and about then the X-E1 will probably be preferred. Thankfully people do differ, just explaining my reasoning.

-- hide signature --

Nick

NicholasS's gear list:NicholasS's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads