How much is expensive lens for you??

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
RogerMexico
Contributing MemberPosts: 855Gear list
Like?
Try Golf
In reply to Joseph Prawiro, Mar 31, 2013

Hobbies can be expensive. A dozen Titleist Pro Vix balls goes for around $60. If you aren't straight that slice can cost you $5 added to greens' fees, the cart rental  and whatever your clubs cost (generally not cheap). If you belong to a country club there's the initiation fee plus monthly dues. Considering that a lens can last a lifetime , while a decent pair of golf shoes might get you a couple of years, photography is probably less costly. RM

RogerMexico's gear list:RogerMexico's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jquagga
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?
Re: How much is expensive lens for you??

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

1.How much in an expensive lens??

My most expensive lenses were both roughly $350.  A Sigma 17-70 OS for a Nikon APS-C mount and the Panny 20mm.  The Sigma was a bargin, the 20 I like but I think for $350 they should release a mk2 with some Nano coating and faster focusing.  On the other hand I can actually take non-flash photos inside on a m43 camera and I've never been able to do that.

One of the other posters pointed out that m43 lenses are not more expensive then 1st tier current options from the other major manufacturers.  I'd agree with that - but that doesn't mean they're not expensive.  To me, the absolute price of the lens matters as well as the relative price.  I don't see myself paying $1,000 for a lens.  Well, unless it was for a full-frame camera and I've already gone over into crazy prices land.  That's not really me though.

m43 also doesn't have the lens history that the Canon, Nikon or Minolta/Sony mounts have where you could buy the 5/10-year old f/2.8 design for $500.  So what do people do - they buy the 5/10-year old f/2.8 Canon/Nikon/whatever and put them on their camera with an adapter.  And hence "m43 lenses are expensive".  And depending on how you interpret things, your reaction to that is either "Yes, BUT! ..." or "No!, because!".  And here was have this thread.  I'm a "Yes, BUT!"; I'm sure the "No!, because!" folks will be along in a moment to say I'm clearly wrong.  :-).

The bottom line is I will grumble about the price; I will take longer before buying one but I did buy the 20mm lens.

2. What the next new lens for m43 you really want at the right price??

I just got back into m43 land with a GF5 so I think I'd rather have a GX2 body before a new lens.  That said I already mentioned the 20mm could use a mk2.

Were m43 not my backup system, I'd like a sub-$800 f/4 12-52 or a f/2.8-4 (variable is fine but no slower than f/4).  I don't think that's likely; for a DSLR that lens would be $750 to $1000 depending on who's name is on it.  It couldn't be more than $1000 though or it's stepping on the 12-35.

However, I don't have any plans to buy any other m43 lenses in the near term.  I have the 14-42 X and the 20mm pancake.  I'm only in m43 for pocketable options so ... maybe the 14 one day?  I like that lens.  The 7-14 is beyond my reasonable price range for a m43 lens, but the Samyang 7.5mm (which is also small) would be doable.  I have it's 8mm big brother on the Nikon and it's one of my favorite lenses.  Release a high-performance GX2, let me convert my GF5 to IR and then maybe I'll buy more lenses.

jquagga
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?
Re: Try Golf
In reply to RogerMexico, Mar 31, 2013

RogerMexico wrote:

Considering that a lens can last a lifetime ,

Yeah ... so can a set of golf clubs.  Try telling that to a golfer :-P.

Velu
Regular MemberPosts: 499
Like?

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

Hi,

As i am not active poster on this forum thou I'd Like to ask an interesting rather sensitive questions. I m still rather new in photography coming from Canon powershoot to Entry level DSLR  and now M43 i love my omd and collecting 4 lens so far 12-50, 25 f1.4 , 45 f1.8 and zuiko 40-150 mk2.

What i m asking are

1.How much in an expensive lens??  everybody has their psychological affordability i.e not everybody would buy a 100$ ice cream, or some people think leica is rightly price. the reason i m asking this is i ve been lurking rather much and this week I saw 2 post that quickly goes to 150 replies in matter of days , and those 2 are moving to FF or DSLR thread. some are very heated discussion and m43 lens "expensiveness" are rather a big part. If u are uncomfortable with number , stating which most expensive lens you think rightly price would be more ethical go ahead.

Since i started discussion i guess its only fair if i answer the question my self for me around$500 or  panasonic lens  25 f1.4 are affordable for me

so most cheaper m43prime are okay for me what i really really want is a cheaper quality zoom, my kit zoom are plenty decent but like alot of people i too has GAS and even though i know it wont make my picture better i still want it something like a cheaper 12-35 albeit slower but with sharpness that close to a prime price arnd 500 is that asking too much??

ps: i m not trying to imply m43 lens are expensive i ve heard the argument from both side, and i couldn't care less, since i have no intention to migrate or maintain another system. everybody is diffrent i just like  to know how different 

It's IMPOSSIBLE to determine what's expensive for you !!! Depending your income etc ....

But you can state :

Expensive is everything that doesn't "deliver" ....

A 85L 1.2 lens might cost a lot of money, but when it makes me get the pictures I want to get, it's not "expensive" !

If you feel that your 50mm Plastic Fantastic performs equally then off course, the 50L is expensive

A 200 Euro kit lens might be more "expensive" because I don't like the output/image quality.

-- hide signature --

www.veluart.com

Joseph Prawiro
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
In reply to Velu, Mar 31, 2013

Velu wrote:

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

Hi,

As i am not active poster on this forum thou I'd Like to ask an interesting rather sensitive questions. I m still rather new in photography coming from Canon powershoot to Entry level DSLR  and now M43 i love my omd and collecting 4 lens so far 12-50, 25 f1.4 , 45 f1.8 and zuiko 40-150 mk2.

What i m asking are

1.How much in an expensive lens??  everybody has their psychological affordability i.e not everybody would buy a 100$ ice cream, or some people think leica is rightly price. the reason i m asking this is i ve been lurking rather much and this week I saw 2 post that quickly goes to 150 replies in matter of days , and those 2 are moving to FF or DSLR thread. some are very heated discussion and m43 lens "expensiveness" are rather a big part. If u are uncomfortable with number , stating which most expensive lens you think rightly price would be more ethical go ahead.

Since i started discussion i guess its only fair if i answer the question my self for me around$500 or  panasonic lens  25 f1.4 are affordable for me

so most cheaper m43prime are okay for me what i really really want is a cheaper quality zoom, my kit zoom are plenty decent but like alot of people i too has GAS and even though i know it wont make my picture better i still want it something like a cheaper 12-35 albeit slower but with sharpness that close to a prime price arnd 500 is that asking too much??

ps: i m not trying to imply m43 lens are expensive i ve heard the argument from both side, and i couldn't care less, since i have no intention to migrate or maintain another system. everybody is diffrent i just like  to know how different 

It's IMPOSSIBLE to determine what's expensive for you !!! Depending your income etc ....

But you can state :

Expensive is everything that doesn't "deliver" ....

A 85L 1.2 lens might cost a lot of money, but when it makes me get the pictures I want to get, it's not "expensive" !

If you feel that your 50mm Plastic Fantastic performs equally then off course, the 50L is expensive

A 200 Euro kit lens might be more "expensive" because I don't like the output/image quality.

-- hide signature --

www.veluart.com

I had the idea because of soo much complaining comparing, this thread is  for fun and throwing  views ideas, anyway your reply is very intersting

well its possible for alot of people, i have a few hobby my self photography being one, and for each hobby i have different threshold of how much i m willing to fork on any equipment or a one time cost. this value pf expensiveness is ever changing and however they do exists on most people on certain subconscious level.

Well what also interesting, by reading most people (who own and post here anyway) answers the primes seem rather affordable i think its either because olympus and panny rightly priced their lens or those people who think m43 lenses are expensive already migrate to other system

zxaar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,290
Like?

This is difficult thing to answer.  One of the reason is the fact that most of us here could afford to spend lot more than what we actually spend on photo gear.  To me any lens till 20000 euros is affordable that is this much if i want i could pay today in cash.  But and big but, photography is not my priority and profession, i would not be putting that much money into it.  So may be 500 to 1000 euros is what i would be easily buying without putting much thought into it.

-- hide signature --

::> Knowledge is mother of efficiency.

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,316
Like?
Re: $200.00....
In reply to danijel973, Mar 31, 2013

danijel973 wrote:

Well, it's all a matter of proper context, I guess. Some people keep changing systems and losing money at resale of their equipment, which is rather wasteful. Others, like myself, tend to keep the same equipment for quite a long time, thus getting the maximum value out of it. I bought my 5d and lenses almost seven years ago and everything still serves me well, except the batteries which I had to change after five years of use.

So basically if you stretch your investment into a period of seven years, it doesn't end up being much. But if you acquire new stuff all the time you have to be much wealthier than myself. For me, it's a matter of purchasing wisely when I have enough money, and keeping the good stuff for as long as it lasts.

That's very true. I've seen so many people in the bridge- and point-shoot camera forums talk about how expensive it is to use (say) a DSLR, and then every 6 to 9 months they go out and buy the latest incremental upgrade of their camera. I've got less money in my system than many of them have in two or three camera purchases - and I'm far better off.

Most of us aren't really using the equipment we already have to its capacity. If I could afford to buy a few expensive lenses, I probably would - but I doubt it would make a huge difference in my shooting very often.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 2,004Gear list
Like?
I reject the concept

Not because I can afford whatever I want - I can't - but because I do not think price is a debatable concept.  It is what it is.  If you want it and can afford it, buy it.  If you can't, don't.  I don't feel like these price conversations are in any way productive.

We do not have some inherent and inalienable  right to own any piece of glass at some ridiculously low price point.  Getting all riled up about whatever m43 lens costs makes about as much sense as Nikon users complaining why the latest 600/4 VR is $12,000, rather than $120.  It is what it is.

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +10 more
FrankParis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042Gear list
Like?
In reply to tedolf, Mar 31, 2013

I agree, now that I'm retired and on SS. But in my employment/Nikon days, expensive for me was > $1,600 for a lens and $5,000 for a body (lived with the D2x from 2005 to last year). Although now > $200 is expensive for me, I've been a serious amateur photographer for 46 years, and so even now I occasionally dip into a meager retirement fund to buy an expensive MFT lens.

I sold my entire Nikon kit nine months ago in favor of MFT and the E-M5 mainly in mercy to my sore back, and bought several expensive lenses from the funds I got from that: the 7-14mm Panny, the 25mm f/1.4 Panny, and the 60mm Olympus macro. Then on January 31 of this year, I planned to dip into the retirement fund and ordered the new Olympus 75-300 II, and even added the lens hood. However, I think they somehow lost my order because others are getting theirs now and I still haven't heard a word and I was one of the earliest to put in my reserve.

This week, I'll see if my local dealer has one in stock, and if so, I'm cancelling out on Olympus and going with them (Pro Photo Supply in Portland, OR). After that, I can't see getting another expensive lens, unless Olympus comes out with a weather-sealed 12-40mm f/2.8 for < $1,000. That would be the last splurge on photography that I would do in my life. The rest of the savings will be reserved for dental work and car repair.

Now that you know the story of my life...I'll stop.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +7 more
wildwilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,297
Like?
Depends on the lens doesn't it?

A 50mm f1.8 is expensive at $200 while a 500mm f4 would be an unbelievable bargain at $200.

LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,679Gear list
Like?
Fifty Bucks

Anything over $50 is a serious lens, anything under $50 is a lark. My most expensive lens is the Olympus 40-150 which cost me around $110.

$50 lens:

$30 200mm lens:

$1 lens + $20 shipping:

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Jim T
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,225Gear list
Like?

Depends who's buying it for me.

PL45 and PL25 so far.

Jim T's gear list:Jim T's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX10 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +11 more
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,002Gear list
Like?
Re: Fifty Bucks
In reply to LincolnB, Mar 31, 2013

Nice series of ohotos that shows what these inexpensive lenses can do.

It is also really great that Olympus and Panasonic are expanding their lens line upward into better built and better image quslity pro-level lenses.  These type of lenses are always more expensive and not for most people.  Still it is good to see this choice available.  Now for mtf we have several choices.  We can use about any old ckassic lenses by using an adopter.  We have a full range of consumer level inexpensive lenses.  Now we are getting high-end, fast, better built and higher quality lenses for those that want this type of lens.  There is an old saying about lens quality and cost.  It goes something like spend 100% more and get 10% bettet image quality.

I personally got into MFT with the E-M5 back in June and ended up buying all the fast primes and really love them and for me they are worth the cost.  I wanted to buy the Panasonic 12-35 and the 35-100 but    my personal annual photo gear budget was over spent last year.  Now I will buy them but am waiting to see what Olympus is going to come up with.  I figure for me that the 12-35 and 35-100 are fairly price considering the quality built and image quality when compare to the Canon L lenses and Nikon pro-level lenses.  Still for the price they cost it is worth my wait to see if Olympus is going to offer.  In the mean time I am enjoying my prime lenses.

A wide range of lenses in a wide range of prices is a good thing.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
al_in_philly
Regular MemberPosts: 445Gear list
Like?
SPIES!

I can't help but wonder if this post was by somebody in the marketting Department over at Olympus or Panasonic. . .

al_in_philly's gear list:al_in_philly's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Leica Nocticron 42.5mm +1 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,401Gear list
Like?
Re: SPIES!
In reply to al_in_philly, Mar 31, 2013

al_in_philly wrote:

I can't help but wonder if this post was by somebody in the marketting Department over at Olympus or Panasonic. . .

Then the answer would be, "a buck three-eighty - and not a penny more."   (One wants to say "42", but that would be a common mistake).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,082Gear list
Like?
As if...
In reply to al_in_philly, Mar 31, 2013

...they actually listened to us.

If they did listen to folks here, we'd have a (4/3) 100mm macro, 400mm (F5.6?), focus peeking, 1 button myset access...

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
bobswims
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to Joseph Prawiro, Apr 1, 2013

As others have mentioned it depends on what I am going to use it for and how frequently I'm going to use it. That being said I think the 12/2.0 is an expensive lens. I bought it when I bought my camera so it qualified for a $150 rebate - and for me that made it affordable. If I wasn't going to get the rebate I would have a hard time justifying it. If there was a 10/2.0 for the MSRP of the 12/2.0 I would not consider that expensive. I loved my 21/3.5 for my OM 1, and it was my favorite lens for lanscapes so the 10 mm would be worth it.  I would have preferred a 10 mm prime and then I would have bought the 17/1.8

Instead I bought the 9-18 zoom as a substitue. Not my first choice, but it is a good compromise and something I considered affordable because I'll use it a lot. Frankly I would have paid a couple of hundred more for a f4 fixed aperture, but the Pani 7 - 14 was too expensive. I also own the surprisingly good 12 - 50 kit lens which I carry for rainy days in the Northwest and for macro shots, and the 45/1.8 (wish it used 42 mm filters for compatibility with  other lenses). I don't ever carry all of my lenses at one time, and this offers me a number of useful combinations.

tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 16,451Gear list
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Apr 1, 2013

Midwest wrote:

tedolf wrote:

each of these lenses except the 9-18mm were purchased for less than $200.00, some much less:

the next lens we need is a fast 100mm or a f/4.0 200mm at $99.00.

TEdolph

As the father of a toddler in this economy (which is cr@p no matter what they tell us) I can't even think of going beyond kit lenses. Fortunately they are better now than they once were. It's kit lenses or lucky-deal used lenses for me. People who can spend a couple thousand on a lens are not in my circumstances, that's for sure.

One of them cost $7.95.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

Come on, you deserve it!

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +10 more
Joseph Prawiro
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
Re: SPIES!
In reply to al_in_philly, Apr 1, 2013

al_in_philly wrote:

LOL. i had a good chuckle just now, rest assured i m just a bored guy with less income than most people here

greetings from far east

Joseph

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,082Gear list
Like?
About that 45mm
In reply to bobswims, Apr 1, 2013

" and the 45/1.8 (wish it used 42 mm filters for compatibility with  other lenses)."

Check out the various Leica style vented 37mm hoods on Amazon or eBay.

Many come w 52mm threads, I got one that came w a 52mm lens cap and takes 52mm filters.

I found, however, dust can still get to the lens through the vents, so I use 43mm cap which fits the intermediate threads (it's loose tho, maybe a 44mm cap would fit better?)

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads