How much is expensive lens for you??

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
FrankParis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042Gear list
Like?
Re: How much is expensive lens for you??
In reply to Joseph Prawiro, Mar 30, 2013

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

2. What the next new lens for m43 you really want at the right price??

M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II

I've almost given up on Olympus ever delivering this lens. I ordered it directly from them January 31, 2013, soon after it was announced. Their Website always said available the middle of March and it's well past that. The 60mm macro was delivered direct from Olympus before they said it would be released, so my expectations were grossly mislead by previous performance. Surely they knew this lens would sell a lot. I sure would like to know what gives!

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tapper123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?
$500

$500 is expensive to me. My most expensive MFT lens is the Oly 60mm Macro. The most I ever paid for a lens is around $600+ for a used DSLR lens.

I would pay maybe up to $1000 for a really amazing wide to moderate tele MFT zoom with big constant aperture, like the rumored 12-40mm f2.8. But it would hurt. A lot. So I would probably wait for a sale, or good used copy.

Tapper123's gear list:Tapper123's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-F3 +2 more
tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 17,481Gear list
Like?
$200.00....

each of these lenses except the 9-18mm were purchased for less than $200.00, some much less:

the next lens we need is a fast 100mm or a f/4.0 200mm at $99.00.

TEdolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +9 more
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,290Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Mar 30, 2013

rrr_hhh wrote:

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

1.How much in an expensive lens??  everybody has their psychological affordability i.e not everybody would buy a 100$ ice cream, or some people think leica is rightly price. the reason i m asking this is i ve been lurking rather much and this week I saw 2 post that quickly goes to 150 replies in matter of days , and those 2 are moving to FF or DSLR thread. some are very heated discussion and m43 lens "expensiveness" are rather a big part. If u are uncomfortable with number , stating which most expensive lens you think rightly price would be more ethical go ahead.

Since i started discussion i guess its only fair if i answer the question my self for me around$500 or  panasonic lens  25 f1.4 are affordable for me

Good glass has always been expensive. Canon L glass for instance is not cheap in anyway : you can easily pay between 1500-2500 for a good zoom. Leica glass is even more expensive, even for primes.

Compared to that, MFT lenses are rather cheaper. The thing is that you are bound to get more of them .. so in then end I spent as much if not more on MFT glass than on Canon EF lenses.

I'd say that by MFT standards, 800 and more are expensive glass. Personnally I find that the Panasonic F2.8 zooms are over priced for the IQ they are producing. At that price they should offer better corners.

I can't really complain about the 2.8 zooms and would not say that the corners are really bad. My 12-35mm is about as sharp as my 2.0/12mm, it is also of excellent build quality, so I would consider the 12-35mm as better value for the money. The 35-100mm is the best tele zoom, m4/3 currently has. To my experience it is sharp at the corners. Is the 1000 € price difference to the EF 2.8/70-200mm II really worth the difference? Also, the 35-100mm is still fairly new on the market, so that price drops did not occur yet, whereas you can get the 12-35mm as low as 879 € according to idealo.de . I would consider that quite a reasonable price. A Sigma 2.8/24-70mm for EF mount starts at 685 €.

so most cheaper m43prime are okay for me what i really really want is a cheaper quality zoom, my kit zoom are plenty decent but like alot of people i too has GAS and even though i know it wont make my picture better i still want it something like a cheaper 12-35 albeit slower but with sharpness that close to a prime price arnd 500 is that asking too much??

Olympus is rumored to be preparing the issue of a fast standard zoom for this year still. They issued two patents for 12-40mm F2.8 and for 12-40mm F2.8-F4 lenses. I think that if that new fast zoom has really sharp corners, 800 would be a very good price. I think it will rather be around 1000... or may be even 1200.

I am curious to the fast Olympus zoom as well. I hope, it will have at least the same build quality, something the current Olympus zooms lack a bit.

ps: i m not trying to imply m43 lens are expensive i ve heard the argument from both side, and i couldn't care less, since i have no intention to migrate or maintain another system. everybody is diffrent i just like  to know how different 

If the two Panasonic zooms had better IQ in the corners, they won't be so over priced compared to what good glass cost in other systems.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +26 more
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,218Gear list
Like?
$1200 was my highest. $500 is my typical limit.
In reply to Tapper123, Mar 30, 2013

As a part-time freelancer, my gear acquisitions are usually paid for within a year of purchase — and they provide tax write-offs, so I'm not as worried about costs as a hobbyist might be.

The 50-200 SWD I bought for my Oly DSLRs hasn't really earned its $1200 tag yet, as I use it a lot more for volunteer work, shooting my soccer and ultimate (frisbee) activities. An expensive "want" so far.

Meanwhile, my Oly 14-54MkI has been my bread and butter lens for over 10 years. To think that it was actually a "kit" lens for the E-1 at one point. The cheap 14-42 that I got with my E-PL5 is no comparison in build or performance (or lens hood)... so I'm looking for a micro equivalent. I expect to pay over $500 but will get very nervous at $700.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +9 more
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,902Gear list
Like?
Re: Everything is relative
In reply to LMNCT, Mar 30, 2013

LMNCT wrote:

It does depend on the lens.  I just purchased the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100...so I guess if you add the cost of the two together my toleration is on the high end.  I like quality and clarity so I am willing to pay more to get those things.

I'm in the same situation. I just bought both these lenses to with my GH3. My other lenses are also PL: 8 mm fisheye, 14-140 and 100-300. I suspect the 14-140 may now get much less use -- unless there's some overriding reason to walk with only one "do-everything" lens. I essentially paid for the GH3 and f/2.8 zooms by selling an EOS 7D, Canon 70-300L lens (so bulky I seldom used it) and a couple of other lenses. The 70-300L new was $1700, so I guess that's the most I've spent for a single lens; that white paint commands a premium

With two relatively small, high-quality, f/2.8 zoom lenses covering (effectively) 24-200 mm, I probably won't be adding any primes unless there is some overarching need -- though the PL 150 f/2.8 will surely tempt me. They cost a total of around $2600. But taking a prime-only approach, as some photographers do, you can reach that sum pretty fast. For me these two PL zooms were a good buy.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
Francois Du Nord
Junior MemberPosts: 42Gear list
Like?

Lots of thoughts and good responses. Not a pro in any sense, but photography is about images. If you px peep or want precision across many aspects, that costs money. At the other end, if you want to capture memories some tradeoffs may be ok. All lenses are the result of a designers best efforts to deliver on the parameters set for that lens.

Light and compact demands different choices than than solid, minimal chromatic abberation and razor sharp.

A huge variable is your commitment to your system. Trying an m4/3 system as test to see if you like it will create different price points than if you are building for the long term.

I think expensive lenses start at $ 400. As another poster said, I make choices based upon my existing lenses and filling gaps. I wanted a good fast portrait lens, but the Oly 45 was extremely close to a legacy lens that I own and shoot, so I sucked it up and am awaiting delivery of the Oly 75.

Expensive? Absolutely. But I expect that the investment will pay dividends for years.

Francois Du Nord's gear list:Francois Du Nord's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
Alumna Gorp
Senior MemberPosts: 1,531Gear list
Like?

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

Hi,

As i am not active poster on this forum thou I'd Like to ask an interesting rather sensitive questions. I m still rather new in photography coming from Canon powershoot to Entry level DSLR  and now M43 i love my omd and collecting 4 lens so far 12-50, 25 f1.4 , 45 f1.8 and zuiko 40-150 mk2.

What i m asking are

1.How much in an expensive lens??  everybody has their psychological affordability i.e not everybody would buy a 100$ ice cream, or some people think leica is rightly price. the reason i m asking this is i ve been lurking rather much and this week I saw 2 post that quickly goes to 150 replies in matter of days , and those 2 are moving to FF or DSLR thread. some are very heated discussion and m43 lens "expensiveness" are rather a big part. If u are uncomfortable with number , stating which most expensive lens you think rightly price would be more ethical go ahead.

Since i started discussion i guess its only fair if i answer the question my self for me around$500 or  panasonic lens  25 f1.4 are affordable for me

so most cheaper m43prime are okay for me what i really really want is a cheaper quality zoom, my kit zoom are plenty decent but like alot of people i too has GAS and even though i know it wont make my picture better i still want it something like a cheaper 12-35 albeit slower but with sharpness that close to a prime price arnd 500 is that asking too much??

ps: i m not trying to imply m43 lens are expensive i ve heard the argument from both side, and i couldn't care less, since i have no intention to migrate or maintain another system. everybody is diffrent i just like  to know how different 

This all depends on how flush I am at the time, I can`t always have what I want

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,568Gear list
Like?

That depends.

Have a couple of Canon L lenses costing $2000+.

I paid $350 for the 25 f/1.4 PanLeica.

Have my eyes on the Oly 12 f/2.  45 f/1.8 to eventually add to my MFT kit.

Around $1500 would be my limit for the f/2.8 zooms.

MFT lenses are not expensive, relative to good glass for FF DSLR or Medium Format DSLR.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,990Gear list
Like?

Just for me: $ 500 for M43 is a top limit.

Today I'm more than happy with current lenses selection.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,921
Like?
Re: $200.00....
In reply to tedolf, Mar 30, 2013

tedolf wrote:

each of these lenses except the 9-18mm were purchased for less than $200.00, some much less:

the next lens we need is a fast 100mm or a f/4.0 200mm at $99.00.

TEdolph

As the father of a toddler in this economy (which is cr@p no matter what they tell us) I can't even think of going beyond kit lenses. Fortunately they are better now than they once were. It's kit lenses or lucky-deal used lenses for me. People who can spend a couple thousand on a lens are not in my circumstances, that's for sure.

-- hide signature --

It's nice to say that nice pictures are nice.

LPMILLER
Forum MemberPosts: 56Gear list
Like?
In reply to FrankParis, Mar 30, 2013

FrankParis wrote:

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II

I've almost given up on Olympus ever delivering this lens. I ordered it directly from them January 31, 2013, soon after it was announced. Their Website always said available the middle of March and it's well past that. The 60mm macro was delivered direct from Olympus before they said it would be released, so my expectations were grossly mislead by previous performance. Surely they knew this lens would sell a lot. I sure would like to know what gives!

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

...hey Frank, hang in there, they are arriving as we speak!  I just picked mine up the other day - still haven't had it out for much more than a check over just to ensure everything works, I'll let everyone know how it is after I've done some serious shooting...

cheers,

Lorne Miller

LPMILLER's gear list:LPMILLER's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +5 more
liviutza
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?

Around 1,000 Euro for me. I only have one lens worth that much and I am very unlikely to buy one more in that price range unless my income changes significantly. I have about 15 lenses in all and am quite comfortable with lenses up to 400-500 Euro; this means I'm more likely to buy decent / good primes instead of zooms (if IQ is my priority).

LE - on the other hand I really believe in 'cheap' glass. you can buy great manual lenses for as little as 10 Euro in my country - if used properly results are great and hard to discern from 500 Euro ones.

FrankParis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042Gear list
Like?
In reply to LPMILLER, Mar 30, 2013

Thanks for the encouragement. I needed that. I've really been looking forward to this lens and have lots of plans for it.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +7 more
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,814Gear list
Like?

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

1.How much in an expensive lens??

> $1000

S60/2.8

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +23 more
danijel973
Contributing MemberPosts: 644Gear list
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Mar 30, 2013

Well, it's all a matter of proper context, I guess. Some people keep changing systems and losing money at resale of their equipment, which is rather wasteful. Others, like myself, tend to keep the same equipment for quite a long time, thus getting the maximum value out of it. I bought my 5d and lenses almost seven years ago and everything still serves me well, except the batteries which I had to change after five years of use.

So basically if you stretch your investment into a period of seven years, it doesn't end up being much. But if you acquire new stuff all the time you have to be much wealthier than myself. For me, it's a matter of purchasing wisely when I have enough money, and keeping the good stuff for as long as it lasts.

danijel973's gear list:danijel973's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +13 more
Boneoh2
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?

It is interesting to get other people's perspective on this...

In the past year, I have bought the EM5 with the 12-50 kit zoom and what I call the "fab four" primes:

Oly 12mm f2.0 for $799 - this is expensive IMO. I used this for most of my shooting last year in a vacation to NYC. This did great inside the museums and around town for wide angle shots of buildings, skyline, etc.

Panny/Leica 25 f1.4 for $549 - this is reasonable given the quality. This is my normal go-to lens. Most often left on the camera.

Oly 45mm f1.8 for 399 - this is a bargain IMO. I use this for portraits and occasional indoor video when I need a bit of reach.

Oly 75mm f1.8 for 899 - this is expensive. Very nice portrait lens.

I am very happy with the image quality of these lenses, and have no regrets about spending the money. I just had to think long and hard before spending the money on the two "expensive" lenses.

At this point, I am waiting to see what Oly will be coming out with for the tele zoom...

Pete

Boneoh2's gear list:Boneoh2's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +2 more
mh2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,674
Like?
In reply to tedolf, Mar 31, 2013

Yup, anything higher than $200 I really have to think about. My Pan 14, Oly 17/2.8, Sig 30 and Oly 40-15 were all under $200.

I did think about the Oly 45 and bought it, thinking it's kind of expensive, but bought it.

Going above $500 is an expense and really have to justify it (I have a bag of Canon L's and TS-E's at one point, so I can sometimes justify it, but with a lot of thought).

As to the cheap lens I really want to buy for $200 is an Oly pancake 25/2.8... though, with the $150 purchase of the Sig 30, this is hardly a critical purchase at this point... I would like a pancake 25 though.

-- hide signature --
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,412Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joseph Prawiro, Mar 31, 2013

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

Hi,

As i am not active poster on this forum thou I'd Like to ask an interesting rather sensitive questions. I m still rather new in photography coming from Canon powershoot to Entry level DSLR  and now M43 i love my omd and collecting 4 lens so far 12-50, 25 f1.4 , 45 f1.8 and zuiko 40-150 mk2.

What i m asking are

It really depends on the lens.

Something special and super versatile like the old 12-60 I would pay quite a bit for. I think I paid almost $1300 for that lens.

Something useful, but not necessarily truly special, such as the 75-300, was too expensive at $1000, but at $600 I consider to be fine.

But I won't buy lenses without a definite need or role for them. I probably won't buy the 40-150, even if I do find it for $100, simply because I am unlikely to use it to fill the gap from 50-75 (or 60 - 75 depending on which lenses I'm using).

In general my photography is landscapes, wildlife, macro and I buy lenses to suit that. If my photography changes to something that requires fast lenses, then I'll look at the primes.

With regard to the "expensiveness" of m4/3s lenses. Some are, or were (75-300), too expensive. However, in general the argument is flawed by people cherrypicking like mad. That's why the postcount went up so fast in that other thread.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +3 more
CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joseph Prawiro, Mar 31, 2013

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

1.How much in an expensive lens??

My most expensive lens to date was the Olympus 7-14mm for four thirds and I had a couple others up around 100,000yen. I'd could go a bit higher, up to 200,000 now. With the way my photography is moving, I don't shoot telephotos or zooms much, so I don't see myself actually buying something in this price range though.

I'd like a smaller 25mm lens and one that doesn't make as much noise on the E-M5. (Last time I tried one it was still noisy, maybe it wasn't on the newest firmware?). I'd also like it to have a close focusing distance or macro. A 25mm f2 or f2.8 macro.

The other would be a compact wide prime. 10mm f2.8 or so with sharp corners.

I've moved to the Oly 17mm f1.8 most of the time now, but a replacement for the Panasonic 20mm would be most welcome.

I'm not going to set a price. Let the manufacturers charge what they need to, and I'll make a purchasing decision on that. I don't really think m43s lenses are expensive, but I don't really think we can consumers understand what makes a lens expensive. I'm not really comfortable saying a lens is too expensive on an absolute basis. (Maybe too expensive for me)

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads