How much is expensive lens for you??

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
Joseph Prawiro
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
Mar 30, 2013

Hi,

As i am not active poster on this forum thou I'd Like to ask an interesting rather sensitive questions. I m still rather new in photography coming from Canon powershoot to Entry level DSLR  and now M43 i love my omd and collecting 4 lens so far 12-50, 25 f1.4 , 45 f1.8 and zuiko 40-150 mk2.

What i m asking are

1.How much in an expensive lens??  everybody has their psychological affordability i.e not everybody would buy a 100$ ice cream, or some people think leica is rightly price. the reason i m asking this is i ve been lurking rather much and this week I saw 2 post that quickly goes to 150 replies in matter of days , and those 2 are moving to FF or DSLR thread. some are very heated discussion and m43 lens "expensiveness" are rather a big part. If u are uncomfortable with number , stating which most expensive lens you think rightly price would be more ethical go ahead.

Since i started discussion i guess its only fair if i answer the question my self for me around$500 or  panasonic lens  25 f1.4 are affordable for me

2. What the next new lens for m43 you really want at the right price??

so most cheaper m43prime are okay for me what i really really want is a cheaper quality zoom, my kit zoom are plenty decent but like alot of people i too has GAS and even though i know it wont make my picture better i still want it something like a cheaper 12-35 albeit slower but with sharpness that close to a prime price arnd 500 is that asking too much??

ps: i m not trying to imply m43 lens are expensive i ve heard the argument from both side, and i couldn't care less, since i have no intention to migrate or maintain another system. everybody is diffrent i just like  to know how different 
danijel973
Contributing MemberPosts: 644Gear list
Like?
Re: How much is expensive lens for you??
In reply to Joseph Prawiro, Mar 30, 2013

Not a bad set of questions. Well, what is an expensive lens for me, it depends. I would usually draw a line at some 800 EUR, because that's how much I usually paid for my Canon lenses, but I would probably draw a line somewhere at 2500 EUR and not buy a lens I need, if it's that expensive; I'd try to find a more affordable option.

danijel973's gear list:danijel973's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,427Gear list
Like?

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

Hi,

As i am not active poster on this forum thou I'd Like to ask an interesting rather sensitive questions. I m still rather new in photography coming from Canon powershoot to Entry level DSLR  and now M43 i love my omd and collecting 4 lens so far 12-50, 25 f1.4 , 45 f1.8 and zuiko 40-150 mk2.

What i m asking are

1.How much in an expensive lens??  everybody has their psychological affordability i.e not everybody would buy a 100$ ice cream, or some people think leica is rightly price. the reason i m asking this is i ve been lurking rather much and this week I saw 2 post that quickly goes to 150 replies in matter of days , and those 2 are moving to FF or DSLR thread. some are very heated discussion and m43 lens "expensiveness" are rather a big part. If u are uncomfortable with number , stating which most expensive lens you think rightly price would be more ethical go ahead.

Since i started discussion i guess its only fair if i answer the question my self for me around$500 or  panasonic lens  25 f1.4 are affordable for me

so most cheaper m43prime are okay for me what i really really want is a cheaper quality zoom, my kit zoom are plenty decent but like alot of people i too has GAS and even though i know it wont make my picture better i still want it something like a cheaper 12-35 albeit slower but with sharpness that close to a prime price arnd 500 is that asking too much??

If you don't mind losing the 12mm then the Panasonic 14-45mm is the nearest lens to what you want.

ps: i m not trying to imply m43 lens are expensive i ve heard the argument from both side, and i couldn't care less, since i have no intention to migrate or maintain another system. everybody is diffrent i just like  to know how different 

Personally I struggle to justify anything over £800 for my needs and generally I go quite a bit lower than that. That being said you never lose a whole lot on good lenses so it's not like it's money wasted and I expect to recoup around 70% of my initial outlay at worst if I sell a lens on. Sometimes I get very close to the original price but I do look after my gear. I don't think thats a bad return on something I get a lot of enjoyment out of.

-- hide signature --

For the person who is good with a hammer, everything in life tends to look like a nail.....
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP1 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
Joseph Prawiro
Like?
In reply to papillon_65, Mar 30, 2013

danijel973 wrote:

Not a bad set of questions. Well, what is an expensive lens for me, it depends. I would usually draw a line at some 800 EUR, because that's how much I usually paid for my Canon lenses, but I would probably draw a line somewhere at 2500 EUR and not buy a lens I need, if it's that expensive; I'd try to find a more affordable option.

I guess it depends where you are coming from, if you re used to L/ FF lens prices m43 will be a bargain, if you are upgrading from compacts then m43 lens will be rather steep

papillon_65 wrote:

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

Hi,

What i m asking are

If you don't mind losing the 12mm then the Panasonic 14-45mm is the nearest lens to what you want.

I will read the review on this lens, 12 mm is rather useful now i m used to that FL, losing it, is a rather big compromise

Personally I struggle to justify anything over £800 for my needs and generally I go quite a bit lower than that. That being said you never lose a whole lot on good lenses so it's not like it's money wasted and I expect to recoup around 70% of my initial outlay at worst if I sell a lens on. Sometimes I get very close to the original price but I do look after my gear. I don't think thats a bad return on something I get a lot of enjoyment out of.

-- hide signature --

For the person who is good with a hammer, everything in life tends to look like a nail.....
Tony

Tony i have read(yep the whole 150 post) your moving to FF thread, very interesting read and very informative  since i have never own FF i guess i would always wonder how green the grass on that side, but for now m43  is plenty good for me

Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,623Gear list
Like?

I would say that a lens is too expensive when there are other comparable lenses with similar performance that sell for less. This is within a system. If we compare M43 to FF, there is no question that there are very competitively priced FF primes.

My most expensive lens is the 20/1.7, which I still don't consider the slightest bit overpriced. It is sharp, fast and compact, the three properties I look for. On the other hand, the Canon 40mm pancake is also sharp, fast (mounted on an FF body, compared to the 20/1.7) and compact and less expensive. On the third hand, you then need to find a compact FF Canon body; good luck with that.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,427Gear list
Like?

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

danijel973 wrote:

I guess it depends where you are coming from, if you re used to L/ FF lens prices m43 will be a bargain, if you are upgrading from compacts then m43 lens will be rather steep

papillon_65 wrote:

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

Hi,

What i m asking are

I will read the review on this lens, 12 mm is rather useful now i m used to that FL, losing it, is a rather big compromise

I'm afraid that the 14-45mm is the best of the type of lens you are looking for. Some people are happy with their 12-50mm and some are not, so that's another option. I've also read that the Panasonic 14-42mm (second version) is also very good but again you are at 28mm.

-- hide signature --

Tony

Tony i have read(yep the whole 150 post) your moving to FF thread, very interesting read and very informative  since i have never own FF i guess i would always wonder how green the grass on that side, but for now m43  is plenty good for me

The grass is always greener no matter which side you're on :-). It is a case of me trying it for myself and I will blog about it when I've done it for a while. So far it's been interesting and not quite what I expected, in a mostly good way though :-). I'm doing it on a budget, and surprisingly, it can be done cheaper than I thought, all will be revealed in due course.

-- hide signature --

Tony

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP1 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,120Gear list
Like?
Everything is relative

What you consider expensive is likely directly related to disposable income.

If you earn a living through photography, then the consideration should be will the lens pay for itself in a reasonable period of time- actual cost should not matter.

My most expensive lens was the 12-60mm.  that was around $800 new... that was my limit, but I justified the cost because it saved me from needing a second lens (11-22)

$400 is more my normal limit though.

Next lens?  Possibly the 17/1.8... Also considered the 60 macro, but that lens seems a bit short, so I mat just pick up a set of extention tubes instead.  I'd like the 75/1.8, but having trouble justifying the cost.  Now if Oly came out w a micro version of the 12-60, that could well jump to the top of the list if it's enough under a grand.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,905Gear list
Like?
Re: Everything is relative
In reply to Art_P, Mar 30, 2013

It does depend on the lens.  I just purchased the Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100...so I guess if you add the cost of the two together my toleration is on the high end.  I like quality and clarity so I am willing to pay more to get those things.

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +17 more
Lucas McDonald
Regular MemberPosts: 165Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ulric, Mar 30, 2013

I just recently got the Oly 75 and the Panny 25 , I would have had a hard time trying to justify the price tags if I had not sold my DSLR gear to pay for it , anything over $500 Australian takes me a long time to save up for.

Having said that I spent $500 on a CF tripod yesterday  just don't tell the wife 

Lucas McDonald's gear list:Lucas McDonald's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
Future user
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?

It all depends on whether the lens fit your needs or not, and how you compare it to others.

For example, the 75mm may be expensive for users nor needing it or comparing it against a FF 85mm, but let's not forget it's not 85mm equivalent on MFT but 150mm equivalent. It's not expensive at all as a fast medium tele with such a fast AF and a high build and image quality. In fact it's the sharpest MFT lens and one of the sharpest lenses of all times. Is its price high for what it is, so? I think it's not!

danijel973
Contributing MemberPosts: 644Gear list
Like?

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

danijel973 wrote:

Well, a good lens is a good lens, but I would certainly separate "wants" from "needs" and avoid options that are needlessly expensive, ie. I bought 85mm f/1.8 instead of 1.2L, and I bought 17-40 f/4L instead of 16-35 f/2.8L. But if I decided that I really need something expensive, 2500 EUR would still be a line I wouldn't cross. It's just too much money for me to pour into something that doesn't make me money. The last piece of gear that I bought in that price range was a 5d body.

danijel973's gear list:danijel973's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +13 more
Joseph Prawiro
Like?
Re: Everything is relative
In reply to LMNCT, Mar 30, 2013

I agree there are a lot of variable, pro aside which i assume most of poster are. The need and Want are not a luxury we have much in m43, yes lens selection is good but still far from the canikon, aside for kit lens range, and 17-20 mm primes we don't have much choice yet, i m looking forward for  the rumor "high end" oly zoom, or even better a workable adapter for zuiko 4/3 lens, lens like 12-60 is like the holy grail of zoom for 4/3 system

anyhow i was quite surprised that the range being given here, but very interesting read 

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,920Gear list
Like?

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

Good glass has always been expensive. Canon L glass for instance is not cheap in anyway : you can easily pay between 1500-2500 for a good zoom. Leica glass is even more expensive, even for primes.

Compared to that, MFT lenses are rather cheaper. The thing is that you are bound to get more of them .. so in then end I spent as much if not more on MFT glass than on Canon EF lenses.

I'd say that by MFT standards, 800 and more are expensive glass. Personnally I find that the Panasonic F2.8 zooms are over priced for the IQ they are producing. At that price they should offer better corners.

Olympus is rumored to be preparing the issue of a fast standard zoom for this year still. They issued two patents for 12-40mm F2.8 and for 12-40mm F2.8-F4 lenses. I think that if that new fast zoom has really sharp corners, 800 would be a very good price. I think it will rather be around 1000... or may be even 1200.

If the two Panasonic zooms had better IQ in the corners, they won't be so over priced compared to what good glass cost in other systems.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D
lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,310Gear list
Like?
Many good points already made...

Personally I look for a lens to fill a role or a gap in my needs.  The 75/1.8 before the Pany 35-100 was the only fast native tele length.   And it's performance is unquestionable, that is an appropriately priced lens, albeit more than the other primes, but accordingly.  Likewise the Pany f/2.8 zooms seem expensive in comparison to the other available lens isn't similar FL, but they bring all the bells and whistles to the party, and warrant the price for now Because they are better than the existing lens offerings in their range and have a higher specification ie, weather sealing, OIS, coated optics.  If and when Oly matches the lens for performance the Pany will lose some of those exclusive features and need to come down a little in my mind as far as cost goes.

On a totally personal note I wouldn't shudder at any lens $300-500USD new that fills a specific role.  And the used market is quite good still for most of the lens available.  I do think that our lens assortments will never achieve higher values like say the old Leica or Zeise optics, the focus by wire features make them useless on lower systems, where older legacy or manual glass will never out live its usefulness.

Too expensive in my mind $1200 for lens that are totally dependent on the systems electronics and with such poor manual features in comparison to others.  This is the one thing I don't like about the m4/3 system of lens,  fly by wire focus.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
benarden
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?

Joseph Prawiro wrote:

Hi,

What i m asking are

Since it's a hobby for me , I mainly rely on refurbised / used equipment .
1:) the Max; a once in a lifetime expenditure would be $500; and I would want to see GOD !

2:) I would like to see a BIG ( 500 + MM)  4/3 Mirror lens that's easy to focus manually.

My 2c worth.

NCV
NCV
Contributing MemberPosts: 959Gear list
Like?

Depends on how much I will use a lens or how critical it is to have it.

The  lens I use most is the Lumix 12-35. For me the price is acceptable (and comparable with DX ) for a fast constant aperture zoom  that I use for most of my photography.

The Lumix 100-300 that I use now and again was hard to justify at €400 second hand.

I try to buy all my lenses second hand as it is possible to save quite a lot of money. I love those people who are constantly changing camera system.

http://nigelvoak.blogspot.it/

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
Learning in Progress
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
In reply to Future user, Mar 30, 2013

As others have said, it depends on your needs and the quality of the lens. When I look at the Panasonic 25mm, I do not see it as expensive based on user experience with the lens and on the general quality of it. It also gives something no other lenses give: AF.and f1.4.
That, imho makes this lens rationally priced.
When I look at a lens such as the olympus 12mm, its different for me. People that have it say how good it is, but for me I would have a hard time justifying such a purchase, specially if I had a standard zoom.
Then as we climb up the price ladder, there is the olympus 75mm which is even more expensive, but which I am currently trying to convince myself into buying because of the quality (like the other lenses I mentioned), but also because its good more reach which appeals to me.
Now, that is how I feel now. prior to my jump in mft less than a year ago, I had a 500$ p/s camera from 2004 and if it weren't for the olympus 45mm (which is great, yet very affordable), I'd probably say all 3 of the lenses previously mentioned were too expensive for me. So it really depends on a lot of things.

Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,496Gear list
Like?

I find it's a case of what the lens gets me and how much I'd use it. Considering the time and effort involved in taking some photographs I consider it worth paying for something that will noticeably improve the result, especially if I'm likely to get years of use out of it. In many ways paying camera bodies is tougher, as they have shorter lives until they are outdated (for example my GF1 was pretty much retired due to its limitations, but the lenses I bought with it are still used).

Also people have varying budgets, a £2000 lens to someone on £90K a year might be reasonable, to someone stacking shelves in Tesco a really good value £300 lens is a major investment. I'm still amazed by people who recommend lenses with 4-figure prices to people who have made it clear they are stretching to consider a £300 one.

For me the Panny f2.8 zooms (which I bought both of this Month, alas the credit card bill arrived this morning) are probably the upper limit for m43 prices, mainly as I feel the extra light gathering will be useful and for the weight saving. To spend more I think I'd only consider lenses for my FF Canon camera, as I feel the increased quality I can get there make it more worthwhile. Also due to the life expectancy of lenses I find I can buy less as I go on, once I have reasonable ones. (For example my Canon 17-85 didn't last long as I hated its limitations, the 24-105 I replaced it with, on a 20D at the time, is still my main general-purpose Canon lens today, while the 20D has been in a box on top of a cupboard for some years.)

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +24 more
Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,401Gear list
Like?

I've spent $1600 on a lens then + filter, + tripod ring, + better carry bag.  It all depends on the level of quality you are after.  A $400 lens should not be EXPECTED to perform like a thousand dollar lens, and so forth.  You have to see images and judge your desire, usage and budget ...  this is a hobby, not a mortgage.

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,913Gear list
Like?
Interesting questions and interesting responses so far

My little m43 outfit is a working outfit but also required for recreational and family duties. Right now, the camera is the E-PL3 with the Oly 9-18, Panny 14, Oly 14-42, Oly 45, and Oly 40-150. The 9-18, 45, and 40-150 are the main working lenses. The 14 is my walk around lens but doubles as a working lens too as required, and the 40-150 also doubles as a walk around lens. The 14-42as more or less an emergency stand-by which tends to surprise me with its quality when I use it.

So for the primarily work lenses, the first criterion is that they do the job. Within reason, if they do the job cost is secondary. So the 9-18 @ $800+ did not really require a second thought except that I had to have the cash in hand. The moment I did I bought the lens because I really have to have that 9mm. The 45 was in the same category -- a must have for portraiture particularly but very reasonably priced in my mind at under $400 when I bought (which was as soon as it was available in Australia). That f1.8 aperture was and is important. The restriction of f5.6 in the top end of the kit zooms is a killer. If only they topped out at f4 ….

The 40-150 is the joker in the pack. It came a little later at around  $300 to replace the Panny 45-200. I had used the 45-200 with excellent results with the Panny G1, but it didn’t suit the E-PL3; just clumsy with the smaller camera with its poorer grip. I had noted with the 45-200 that it offered f4 @ 45 but it was just a bit cumbersome for portraiture, I found. The 40-150 also offered f4 @ 40-45 and is  very much lighter and more compact. As a result, it has taken some of the work load of the 45 and if I had had the 40-150 first, I might have been less willing to buy the 45.

My most desired lens right now is the Panny f2.8 12-35. I would wish for a little more length at the top end, but c'est la vie -- it hasn’t got it. At $1200, though, this is really more than I am ready to pay. Depending on how my little part-time business goes (I'm supposed to be retired, but hey …) in the next couple of months, I might rake up the money for that but while it would be a very useful lens and it would be a working lens, I do pretty nicely without it so it is more a want than a need.

And there is so many more good things to do with my time than working harder to get more more to buy lenses which no doubt would do a great job, but which are not essential (as the 9-18 is for the 9mm length, for example).

So I guess we are looking at a figure of around $800 for an essential lens. The 14 was a non-essential purchase given that I had the 14-42 of excellent quality available, and it cost around $250. But it has moved into my working outfit and has earned that back quite a few times over.

Interesting process thinking that through! 

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads