Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
Canadianguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 885
Like?
Re: Wow!
In reply to SwatOx, Apr 1, 2013

Well - I see them at weddings used by the high end video guys - I much prefer those guys than the guys that set up multiple cameras on tripods and leave it 4 ft in front of the B&G all night long.

The guys with the steadicam rigs are moving all the time - they will only block your shot for a few moments - guys with the tripods - they block you or are in the frame all night long. Very hard to frame wide when the video guys with tripods show up.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marty4650
Forum ProPosts: 10,045Gear list
Like?
Re: Kleeks....
In reply to Kleeks13, Apr 1, 2013
 Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,945Gear list
Like?
Re: Simon
In reply to rtf, Apr 1, 2013

rtf wrote:

Hi Simon. Thanks for your reply.

E-M5 (sorry, my mistake!)

"Just a word of caution, the HLD-6 grip that Olympus sell is great if you have medium to small hands, not so great if you have medium to large hands"

I've always been teased about my small hands so hopefully the grip will suit me.

"The 35-100 is lighter than the Olympus 75 but is longer. The 75 is OK on the E-M5 (it feels balanced) whereas the 35-100 does not".

I like the idea of the 35-100 but I am not prepared to compromise handling. I will not have a requirement for anything other than a good portrait, wide-angle, and macro lens, so hopefully we are talking about lenses that will give me no issues with regard to size and weight.

"Ergonomics/Controls: That experience led me to the Panasonic Micro Four Thirds cameras and ultimately to the GH3, which is considerably more ergonomic. I'm now firmly of the opinion that the E-M5 is great with the smaller primes but less good with some of the larger lenses in my system".

As I say, I will/should not require any of the larger lenses.

"Tracking/Autofocus: It's probably also worth me noting that AF tracking IS usable on the GH3 (whereas I don't think it is on the E-M5)".

I used to be really into sports work and such, but I really got fed up of trashing my gear and not really getting any reward for it, so I leave that to others now. As long as the S-AF is good I will be fine.

Lenses:

I think I would get away with the 12mm f2, 45mm f1.8, 60mm f2.8 macro, and would seriously consider the 75mm f1.8 if I could handle it okay.

"My conclusions? If you can, try out both bodies in person before taking the plunge. If you are set on the E-M5 it is a nice camera (the same could equally be said of the GH3) but some people seem to have an affinity for one and not the other after using both... Don't confine yourself to one brand of lenses, whichever camera you get".

I should be able to give the Panasonic a try beside the Olympus. E-M5 will be/is my first choice without actually physically testing them side by side, but I'll do that tomorrow.

Simon - thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Your help is really appreciated.

Cheers

RTF

Apologies for the name of camera nonsense, but it grates every time I read O-MD. I know that it is an OCD reaction and I apologise... 

All of the above seems perfectly reasonable to me. My other other pointer would be to steer you towards the 12-35 as opposed to the 12mm F2. Both suffer from CA that is easily dealt with but the 12-35 is a really versatile lens that's not too heavy (it's smaller than the 35-100) and gives very good results. Since both are approximately the same cost and the results from the 12 F2 aren't materially better (F2 being strictly a low light aperture, if I could only have one it would be the 12-35. In any event, give the 12-35 a test if you can - it's a genuinely very good to excellent lens.

In any event, you inspired a post on my blog... http://wp.me/p2wMAg-qJ

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon D750
dezinerd
Contributing MemberPosts: 931Gear list
Like?
Preference for Zooms
In reply to rtf, Apr 2, 2013

I thought rtf said he had a preference for zooms. The Fujii now has a normal zoom and an ultrawide is to be released later this year.

The Oly 12-50 is quite good and has a very usable macro function. Good luck in your search.

-- hide signature --

Dennis

dezinerd's gear list:dezinerd's gear list
Samsung NX300 Nikon D7100
krikman
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
Re: Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated

Why not to buy MB-D15 grip for D800?

I have same problems because my right hand's wrist and fingers sometimes gets dislocated and was broken many times. (It is because of my bad punch technics while training and sparring in some sort of streetfighting). So periodically I have problems even with key turning, drive steering etc.

Small camera for me is no solution, because small body provides great loading on wrist and fingers. But I use MB-D10 with D300s freely because such load holds entirely by forearm an upper arm.

For example last weekend I actually wasn't able to hold a keys to doorlock, can't hold a pen to wright a sign because of pain. But freely use D300s body with grip. (600+ g zooms attached).

So if your forearm is OK and pain in wrist and fingers, so big body with grip is better solution.

krikman
Like?
Re: Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated
In reply to Just a Photographer, Apr 2, 2013

Just a Photographer wrote:

It must be hard for you photographing witb such heavy gear
I think Sony Nex 7 or the fuji 100x Pro might suite your needs.

That is common erroneous opinion. Small bodies made greater loads on finger and wrists. Full size bodies loads shoulder and elbow. Just now I hardly can hold cell phone in right arm, but can freely use D300s with MB-D10 and tokina 12-24 half of the day. Without a grip pain rises in 10 minutes.

It is simple lever and load rule. Physics for base school.

tomoo1000
Senior MemberPosts: 1,850
Like?

Hi have you tried a monpod.

Phil.

-- hide signature --

NPS Member
One's life is not measured by the two dates upon your tombstone, but how you lived the dash in between them

krikman
Like?
Re: RhysM

rtf wrote:

Hi. It's not easy to accurately describe the problem that I have, other than to say weight plays it's part with the body and lens. When I'm supporting a medium length lens with my left hand, the weight of the lens/camera combo "bends" the palm of my hand causing pain which quickly makes my hand unsteady. Even the surgeon cannot give my complaint a name other than to say it's nerve/muscle related. My wife say's that it's just like me. Got to have something different!.

Thanks.

RTF

It is direct way to go full size camera. I had troubles with D40, then D90. After 15-20 minutes pain rizes in wrist and causes uncontrollable shaking of hand.  Finally found that D300s with grip I can freely hold any lenght of time without pains.

Also it is a sport techics and training to provide all loads directly to your belly and hold you backbone straight. It is very important!

So for me I can't hold small cameras by hand.

Another reason is when you camera with grip freely hang on the neckstripe it need not supported by hand with most lenses, so lessens loads farther.

Every and all small cameras make great load on fingers and wrists. Full size cameras loads shoulder and sometimes elbow.

For me it is direct way to upgrade to D4 or future D4x. D4 is perfect ergonomics and lighter than D800 with grip, but my D300s still fine. No more small cameras.

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,136Gear list
Like?
In reply to tomoo1000, Apr 2, 2013

tomoo1000 wrote:

Hi have you tried a monpod.

An interesting options, but is that not just saying that he should carry yet another pound or two between locations

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Kleeks13
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
In reply to Marty4650, Apr 6, 2013

M:  thanks for the shots...those are adorable, especially the head shot of the golden (is he old?).  I am also a dog illustrator and that shot would make a great reference for a doggy caricature. Chama took one look and sends a "woof" in admiration. Is Dakota named after the states?  We have a tradition of naming our dogs after locations in the west.  Chama, Elko (Nevada), Pioche (Nev), Bisbee (AZ).

Sorry for the delay in response.  I am on a road trip in Tx, and (of course) was super stupid and left my laptop's powercord at home.  Believe it or not,  no powercords for the Apple MacBook Pro with retina display in the entire west Texas region!!!.   At least the manager at the Best Buy in Odessa was kind enough to call all these locations to double check availability.  Only place in the path of my road trip was austin and San Antoinio!!! The irony was he kept saying,  "once you get there you can check the location of the stores, etc. on the internet...then I would look at them with my best "you've got to be kidding me" look.  LOL

Based on your recommendations, I am renting these items to use next week on my vacation.  It is costing me $150 to rent the body and two lenses.  Someone on this site recommend going the rental route...and ...what a wonderful idea.  Currently do no have the budget to purchase, but this week will give me plenty of time to experience all the elements of the Oly OMD.  Will post my experience and shots.  In the meantime, I am enjoying your comment: bokelicious (sp?)
Kleeks

Kleeks13
Regular MemberPosts: 305
Like?
In reply to rtf, Apr 6, 2013

"sick as a parrot." ....where does that come from....correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it "sick as a dog?"

-- hide signature --

Kleeks

Paul Clark SJ
Regular MemberPosts: 276
Like?
Have You Considered a Stabilization System?
In reply to rtf, Apr 6, 2013

Did you consider a camera stabilization system Like the STEADICAM MERLIN ARM & VEST.  I have never used one (and do not sell them) but they look like they take weight of the camera and move it to your chest and hips.  There are YOUTUBE videos showing people capturing video with one hand.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D40
Nikon D300
AF-S 18-55 f3.5-5.6 G ED II DX
AF-S 55-200 f4.0-5.6 VR DX IF-ED
AF-S 300 F4 IF-ED
Sigma 10-20 4-5.6 EX DC NIKON HSM
Nikon AF-S 35 F1.8
Series E 36-72 F3.5
Series E 75-150 F3.5
SB-400

Marty4650
Like?
In reply to Kleeks13, Apr 6, 2013

We got Dakota from a Golden Retriever rescue group when she was 4 1/2 years old, and she is around 13 today. As you probably know, she's a senior citizen dog now.

When we first got her she was very angry and hostile, because she was probably abused by a former owner. She was adopted out twice before and returned because she bit people who approached her unexpectantly. The rescue group actually was planning to put her down, but they gave her one more chance, and we got to adopt her.

Within three months she morphed into the sweetest and most affectionate dog we have ever owned, and has been an absolute joy ever since.

I have no idea how she got the name Dakota, but we kept it since she already had it and would answer to it. Such a sweet little girl should have been named Penelope!

Photo taken in 2005

Recent photo

Sony SLT-A55 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,939Gear list
Like?
Re: Fotolopithecus
In reply to rtf, Apr 9, 2013

One thing you might consider, the modern FX sensors do well with higher ISO settings so you can get lenses that weigh less (which usually translates into a smaller maximum f/stop).  For instance you might try the new Nikon 70-200 f/4 and see if that's something that you can handle.  An even lighter lens is the Nikon 28-200.  While that lens has some geometric issues, as long as you don't take images of brick walls, you should be OK.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +47 more
Robert Hoy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,572
Like?
Re: True, until you put a lens on it.
In reply to Steve_, Apr 13, 2013

Steve_ wrote:

Robert Hoy wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

The SL1 has a standard Canon APS registration distance, and uses standared Canon EF lenses.

And they are not small or light,

You do not need to use standard EF lenses.  You can use only the smaller and lighter EF-S lenses instead if you really want a small, light SLR.

That doesn't help much.

But does not change the fact that you do not need to use EF lenses on the SL1.

AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,700Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kleeks13, Apr 13, 2013

Kleeks13 wrote:

"sick as a parrot." ....where does that come from....correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it "sick as a dog?"

-- hide signature --

Kleeks

In UK English (colonial variants may differ) 'sick as a dog' is generally used literally, in terms of vomiting, or at least feeling ill.

'Sick as a parrot' is, I believe, a more recent phrase and normally relates to emotional rather than physical well-being. The classic example is that of an association football ('soccer') manager ('coach') describing his feelings at losing a match.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +4 more
Marty4650
Like?
Robert.... but you can't have it both ways
In reply to Robert Hoy, Apr 13, 2013

Robert Hoy wrote:

Steve_ wrote:

Robert Hoy wrote:

TrapperJohn wrote:

The SL1 has a standard Canon APS registration distance, and uses standared Canon EF lenses.

And they are not small or light,

You do not need to use standard EF lenses.  You can use only the smaller and lighter EF-S lenses instead if you really want a small, light SLR.

That doesn't help much.

But does not change the fact that you do not need to use EF lenses on the SL1.

It's true.... there are over 300 Canon EOS lenses available. So you have a very wide selection of lenses available for your Canon EOS SL1 camera. And they will all work fine.

So it is fair to say there are "lots of lenses" you can use on this camera.

However there is ONLY ONE downsized lens available for this camera, the new Canon EF-S 18-55mm STM. This lens is the only one specifically designed to be smaller and lighter for this smaller camera. All the others were designed for fullframe or APS-C standard sized cameras, and are larger and heavier.

If you want small and light... then you are stuck with this one lens and the smallest APS-C designed prime lenses. The Canon fullframe lenses and all the telephoto zoom lenses pretty much defeat the purpose of having a mini Rebel camera.

You'd be better off going with a MILC camera (any brand) than getting an SL1 if you wanted a small and light kit that had lots of more practical lens options.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads