Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
rtf
rtf
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated
Mar 30, 2013

Hi everyone. Sorry if this seems a little off topic but your the people that directly fit my question.

I now have a medical issue with the nerves in my middle fingers of my left hand (due to broken fingers years ago). I have major problems using lenses much bigger than a 50mm (gutted). My doctor warned me ages ago that this would become an issue and advised me to downsize the weight and bulk of my camera gear. Yesterday I was taking images of a restaurant for a website, and after the tripod work I struggled to take handheld shots with the D800 + 105DC. So much so that I only felt comfortable using the 50mm handheld. The restaurant owner asked me if I would consider photographing his wedding which I declined because I cannot rely on good handling technique with my present gear. Very reluctantly, I have to seriously consider downsizing to micro four thirds, and I would like to know your honest opinions on whether you think in my position that you could swap to micro four thirds and adjust to the smaller system. I'm a pro and would like to remain one if I can. In recent times I have had lots of low res work (website images) so I know that I can live with a smaller sensor and make some money, but I'm a little disheartened at the moment. So my question is: Olympus, Fuji, or Panasonic?. I need portrait, wide-angle, and macro capability in that order of importance. I'm leaning towards Olympus. Your thoughts would be very appreciated.

Cheers.

RTF.

rtf's gear list:rtf's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Just a Photographer
Contributing MemberPosts: 924Gear list
Like?
Re: Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated
In reply to rtf, Mar 30, 2013

It must be hard for you photographing witb such heavy gear
I think Sony Nex 7 or the fuji 100x Pro might suite your needs.

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
heptagon
Regular MemberPosts: 190Gear list
Like?
Re: Sick as a parrot. Need to downsize to Micro four thirds. Opinions appreciated

rtf wrote:

Hi everyone. Sorry if this seems a little off topic but your the people that directly fit my question.

I now have a medical issue with the nerves in my middle fingers of my left hand (due to broken fingers years ago). I have major problems using lenses much bigger than a 50mm (gutted). My doctor warned me ages ago that this would become an issue and advised me to downsize the weight and bulk of my camera gear. Yesterday I was taking images of a restaurant for a website, and after the tripod work I struggled to take handheld shots with the D800 + 105DC. So much so that I only felt comfortable using the 50mm handheld. The restaurant owner asked me if I would consider photographing his wedding which I declined because I cannot rely on good handling technique with my present gear. Very reluctantly, I have to seriously consider downsizing to micro four thirds, and I would like to know your honest opinions on whether you think in my position that you could swap to micro four thirds and adjust to the smaller system. I'm a pro and would like to remain one if I can. In recent times I have had lots of low res work (website images) so I know that I can live with a smaller sensor and make some money, but I'm a little disheartened at the moment. So my question is: Olympus, Fuji, or Panasonic?. I need portrait, wide-angle, and macro capability in that order of importance. I'm leaning towards Olympus. Your thoughts would be very appreciated.

Cheers.

RTF.

Portrait:

Smaller sensors are less capable of DoF control compared against fullframe. According to my calculations of the diameter of circle of confusion, in descending order of bokehliciousness:

M43 75mm f1.8 > APSC 50mm f1.8 > M43 45mm f1.8.

Keep in mind that the autofocusing speed of the SEL50F18 is slow. The Olympus 75mm f1.8 and  45mm f1.8 are probably two of the best lenses in M43 systems.

Wide-angle:

If you choose M43, you have the choice of 7-14mm, which is "equivalent" against the legendary Nikon 14-24mm. If you choose NEX, you have the 10-18mm, but I'm not sure if purple fringing has been fixed for the 24M pixel sensors or not.

Macro:

The M43 has the 60mm macro which is generally doing good, but the NEX system still lacks a usable macro (SEL30F35 is horrible).

Thus I would recommend you get an EM5 if not too heavy, or wait for the upcoming EP5 if it has EVF, or get the EPL5 if you can afford to give up EVF. Also you might consider getting a Sony RX1 to use alongside your M43 systems when you need low-light performance. You might also consider waiting for NEX-7N if you rely on heavy pp for your work - for me, the raw files from NEX-7 does provide a lot more room for pp than the EPL5 does. At this stage I do not recommend Panasonic bodies since the GH3 is heavy and other bodies are falling behind with under-performing sensors, unless you heavily rely on in-camera calibration of CA for lenses like 12-35mm f2.8.

Hope this helps.

heptagon's gear list:heptagon's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,663
Like?

rtf wrote:

I would like to know your honest opinions on whether you think in my position that you could swap to micro four thirds and adjust to the smaller system.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. It doesn't sound like you have any choice, but to switch to something smaller.

So my question is: Olympus, Fuji, or Panasonic?. I need portrait, wide-angle, and macro capability in that order of importance. I'm leaning towards Olympus.

Maybe something like:

Olympus E-M5
Panasonic 14mm F/2.5
Olympus 45mm F/1.8
Olympus 60mm F/2.8 Macro

RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,562
Like?

rtf wrote:

Cheers.

RTF.

What is the issue exactly, is it:

a) The dexterity in your fingers required to use the focus/zoom rings with larger lenses that is the issue or is it the physical weight that's causing you the problem?

b) The weight is simply too much in absolute terms?

c) The weight after prolonged periods?

fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?
In reply to coudet, Mar 30, 2013

coudet wrote:

rtf wrote:

I would like to know your honest opinions on whether you think in my position that you could swap to micro four thirds and adjust to the smaller system.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. It doesn't sound like you have any choice, but to switch to something smaller.

So my question is: Olympus, Fuji, or Panasonic?. I need portrait, wide-angle, and macro capability in that order of importance. I'm leaning towards Olympus.

Maybe something like:

Olympus E-M5
Panasonic 14mm F/2.5
Olympus 45mm F/1.8
Olympus 60mm F/2.8 Macro

I'm very sorry to read about your problem, and can imagine how heartsick I might be in a similar circumstance. I have a D7000, and use DX lenses which in total are quite light compared with FX equipment. Maybe you should go to a Best Buy or somewhere, and see if any of the DX cameras are something you could manage, because their IQ is quite remarkable for the sensor size.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
Just What the Doctor Ordered

I am sorry to hear about your ailments.

Have you considered the Nikon Coolpix A? An alternative to m4/3, it has a 16MP DX sensor with fixed 28mm lens. DxOMark recently reviewed the sensor here .

Hope everything works out for you.

rtf
rtf
Like?
Re: Sony and Fuji
In reply to Just a Photographer, Mar 30, 2013

Hi, thanks for your reply. I confess that I had not considered Sony. I still have this idea in my mind that they are still playing catch-up with regard to their system accessories. I perhaps should give the Nex7 a closer look. The Fuji appeals to me but it's fixed lens would be too restricting.

Cheers.

RTF

Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,437
Like?

rtf wrote:

I would like to know your honest opinions on whether you think in my position that you could swap to micro four thirds and adjust to the smaller system. I'm a pro and would like to remain one if I can. In recent times I have had lots of low res work (website images) so I know that I can live with a smaller sensor and make some money...

My experience tells me that clients do care what gear their paid photographer use. they do not necessarily know what camera is what, but to them the bigger the better, and the better they feel about spending money.

I could be wrong, but I think you could lose customers if you show up with a m43. Not that your photos will be noticeably worse, its just it doesnt give people the impression that it is professional gear. Maintaining the appearance of profession is part of the game.

You can consider going D600, it is 160grams lighter than d800. mounted with 85 F1.G8 it is about the same weight as D800 + 50 F1.8G. You can also consider switching to sigma 70 F2.8 macro over  105 F2.8, the 70mm is 200 grams lighter too.

crosstype
Regular MemberPosts: 156Gear list
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, Mar 30, 2013

ultimitsu wrote:

rtf wrote:

I would like to know your honest opinions on whether you think in my position that you could swap to micro four thirds and adjust to the smaller system. I'm a pro and would like to remain one if I can. In recent times I have had lots of low res work (website images) so I know that I can live with a smaller sensor and make some money...

My experience tells me that clients do care what gear their paid photographer use. they do not necessarily know what camera is what, but to them the bigger the better, and the better they feel about spending money.

I could be wrong, but I think you could lose customers if you show up with a m43. Not that your photos will be noticeably worse, its just it doesnt give people the impression that it is professional gear. Maintaining the appearance of profession is part of the game.

You can consider going D600, it is 160grams lighter than d800. mounted with 85 F1.G8 it is about the same weight as D800 + 50 F1.8G. You can also consider switching to sigma 70 F2.8 macro over  105 F2.8, the 70mm is 200 grams lighter too.

I agree with this. D600 would be a good pick if OP can afford that weight. The bulky (and DSLR-like) Panasonic GH3 is not heavy and also makes a good choice.

crosstype's gear list:crosstype's gear list
Sony RX1R Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15
Joseph S Wisniewski
Forum ProPosts: 33,935Gear list
Like?
Pentax or Leica...

rtf wrote:

I now have a medical issue with the nerves in my middle fingers of my left hand (due to broken fingers years ago). I have major problems using lenses much bigger than a 50mm (gutted). My doctor warned me ages ago that this would become an issue and advised me to downsize the weight and bulk of my camera gear. Yesterday I was taking images of a restaurant for a website, and after the tripod work I struggled to take handheld shots with the D800 + 105DC.

That seemed a good place to stop.

If you appreciate what you get from a D800 and a 105DC, you are not going to be happy with any micro four thirds that I'm familiar with.

Take a long, serious look at a Pentax system. Their 77mm f1.8 is a favorite of mine, and the 31mm f1.8 is possibly the best APS normal I've ever used.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.
Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.
Ciao! Joseph
www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +42 more
John Cerra2
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
In reply to Just a Photographer, Mar 30, 2013

Just a Photographer wrote:

It must be hard for you photographing witb such heavy gear
I think Sony Nex 7 or the fuji 100x Pro might suite your needs.

I own a Sony Nex5, and would share the point that the system isn't built out yet.  But I cringe at the thought of you going from a 36 meg d800 to m43.  The Sony is at least Apsc at a fraction of the size of my D300s. It's all about compromise, and you end up compromising on some feartures you use occasionally, or compromising on IQ on EVERY shot.  In fact, not dealing with your issues, I went Sony over M43jst for the IQ.

By the way, you can buy adaptors to fit older lenses in manual mode. My Konica Hexanons are stunning on the Nex 5, although inconvenient to shoot.

John

-- hide signature --

Currently shooting aD300s, a D200, D70 and N50. Have a 'F.'
Also shooting with Konica 35mm SLRS (T3 and FT-1) with numerous Hexanon Lenses. Printer: Canon i9900.

rtf
rtf
Like?
Re: Heptagon
In reply to heptagon, Mar 30, 2013

Thanks for your detailed thoughts. The thought of downsizing (sensor wise) is scary. I spent many digital years building up to the D800. It will be a backward step to go to Micro four thirds, but as I say it may be my only choice.

Appreciated.

RTF

rtf
rtf
Like?
Re: Coudet
In reply to coudet, Mar 30, 2013

Hi. That's a decent looking option you put together there. Sharp lenses are a must. No point in a small, light, set-up if the images are soft. Thank you for your suggestions.

Cheers.

RTF

rtf
rtf
Like?
Re: Fotolopithecus
In reply to fotolopithecus, Mar 30, 2013

Hi there. I also have a D7000, which I rate highly, but the problem (not easy to describe) is brought on by the weight of the body + the lens weight/length. I have experienced the same problems with the D7000.

Cheers

RTF

rtf
rtf
Like?
Re: RhysM
In reply to RhysM, Mar 30, 2013

Hi. It's not easy to accurately describe the problem that I have, other than to say weight plays it's part with the body and lens. When I'm supporting a medium length lens with my left hand, the weight of the lens/camera combo "bends" the palm of my hand causing pain which quickly makes my hand unsteady. Even the surgeon cannot give my complaint a name other than to say it's nerve/muscle related. My wife say's that it's just like me. Got to have something different!.

Thanks.

RTF

vaxn8r
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony and Fuji

rtf wrote:

Hi, thanks for your reply. I confess that I had not considered Sony. I still have this idea in my mind that they are still playing catch-up with regard to their system accessories. I perhaps should give the Nex7 a closer look. The Fuji appeals to me but it's fixed lens would be too restricting.

Cheers.

RTF

You are clearly going to have to give up something going smaller, either IQ or focal range. I wouldn't be very happy giving up IQ on my only camera. My choice would be an RX1 and learn to own 35mm. Maybe get NEX or M43 as a backup.

My guess is with patience there will be more RX1 options going forward, maybe a 50 mm but I don't think you are going to get anything interchangebale, FF at that size.

vaxn8r's gear list:vaxn8r's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +7 more
Waterengineer
Contributing MemberPosts: 844
Like?
Nikon V1
In reply to vaxn8r, Mar 30, 2013

How about a Nikon V1 with an adapter?  Then your 35mm and 50mm lenses create a very sharp lightweight assemblage.  A Nikon V1 and adapter would be the most inexpensive option, too.

Also here is something to consider.  The Oly, the Nikon and the Sony have all different sensor sizes.  A quick comparison - but it is probably unfair because of my statement above.

www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/793|0/%28brand%29/Olympus/%28appareil2%29/745|0/%28brand2%29/Nikon/%28appareil3%29/736|0/%28brand3%29/Sony

rtf
rtf
Like?
Re: Reginalddwight
In reply to reginalddwight, Mar 30, 2013

Hi, thanks for your suggestion. A camera like the new Nikon would have been a dream camera for me a few years ago. The problem that I have is that I have never worked on a professional level with anything other than a system camera, interchangeable lenses etc. I'm wondering if I could continue in a professional capacity, with a lighter/smaller system, but as others have said, people expect pro photographers to have the biggest and best. I would/will seriously consider any fixed lens camera if I could get away with it, but I need portrait/wide-angle/macro capabilities if I want to continue as a pro photographer. If I end up concentrating on website design then I would definitely get away with "downsizing" my gear. As Bob Dylan said "the times they are a changing!".

Thanks for your suggestion.

Cheers

RTF

RhysM
Senior MemberPosts: 1,562
Like?
Re: RhysM

rtf wrote:

Hi. It's not easy to accurately describe the problem that I have, other than to say weight plays it's part with the body and lens. When I'm supporting a medium length lens with my left hand, the weight of the lens/camera combo "bends" the palm of my hand causing pain which quickly makes my hand unsteady. Even the surgeon cannot give my complaint a name other than to say it's nerve/muscle related. My wife say's that it's just like me. Got to have something different!.

Thanks.

RTF

Cold you try something like this:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/08/brando-hand-strap-08-19-09.jpg

The strap and the connection to the right wrist might take sufficient extra weight that means your left hand isn't doing so much work.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads