Best CPL filter !!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
Mmwei
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
Best CPL filter !!
Mar 30, 2013

Hi, Any pro could introduce a best CPL filter for my pana 12-35 lens. I just bought a heliopan slim ES 58 Cpl but it doesn't fit the cap on it, so i decided to return it so i don't know which one should i choose for.

Thanks
Mm

ernstbk
Contributing MemberPosts: 623Gear list
Like?
Re: Best CPL filter !!
In reply to Mmwei, Mar 30, 2013

Mmwei wrote:

Hi, Any pro could introduce a best CPL filter for my pana 12-35 lens. I just bought a heliopan slim ES 58 Cpl but it doesn't fit the cap on it, so i decided to return it so i don't know which one should i choose for.

Thanks
Mm

Please further define the meaning of "best".

ernstbk's gear list:ernstbk's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bizzarrini
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?

Take a look at this test:

Lenstip CPL test

Bizzarrini's gear list:Bizzarrini's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +22 more
BBbuilder467
Contributing MemberPosts: 543
Like?

If you got a slim filter to avoid vignetting, it won't have threads for the lens cap if that's what you mean.

If you don't think it will vignette at 12mm, just get a CPL with filter threads on it.

Normally, I would only add the CPL when I needed it, so I wouldn't care if it had the threads or not.

I'd be asking if a standard 58mm CPL would vignette on the 12-35. If they do, then you have to use the type you just sent back.

Travelshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,401Gear list
Like?
In reply to BBbuilder467, Mar 30, 2013

try the folks at www.2filter.com   they have extensive knowledge in this area and have always provided great service.

I'm not affiliated, just a many times customer.

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,633Gear list
Like?

BBbuilder467 wrote:

If you got a slim filter to avoid vignetting, it won't have threads for the lens cap if that's what you mean.

If you don't think it will vignette at 12mm, just get a CPL with filter threads on it.

Normally, I would only add the CPL when I needed it, so I wouldn't care if it had the threads or not.

I'd be asking if a standard 58mm CPL would vignette on the 12-35. If they do, then you have to use the type you just sent back.

Once lens has a AF surrounding motor, I would not be concerned about vignetting.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Mmwei
Like?

Hi Bbuilder i don't really know what does vignette mean, i think that is some flare , am i right? Could you tell me more about it.

Thank you very much
Mm

BBbuilder467
Contributing MemberPosts: 543
Like?

With some wide angle lenses, there can be a shadow or dark ring visible if the filter ring is too thick. That's the main reason for the slim mounting rings.

A CPL is thicker than a standard ND or UV filter, so the slim mounting ring is a way to avoid the vignetting.

If you can stack 2 filters without the shadow/vignetting, you should be ok with a standard type with threads on both front and rear.

It sounded like you got a slim filter with no front threads, so the lens cap won't grip it.

Most of the premium grade CPL's are the slim mounts to avoid the vignette/shadow/tunnel with a wide angle lens. I normally wouldn't "stack" a filter on top of a CPL, so I wouldn't need the outer threads. On some lenses, the filter with the front threads would act like a tiny lens hood. The camera could "see" the ring.

Someone using the 12-35 should know if a standard type mounting ring CPL works ok with that lens. If they can stack 2 filters without the vignetting, then it should work.

You "probably" don't need the slim mount, but I don't have that lens  to compare.

Mmwei
Like?

With some wide angle lenses, there can be a shadow or dark ring visible if the filter ring is too thick. That's the main reason for the slim mounting rings.

A CPL is thicker than a standard ND or UV filter, so the slim mounting ring is a way to avoid the vignetting.

If you can stack 2 filters without the shadow/vignetting, you should be ok with a standard type with threads on both front and rear.

It sounded like you got a slim filter with no front threads, so the lens cap won't grip it.

Most of the premium grade CPL's are the slim mounts to avoid the vignette/shadow/tunnel with a wide angle lens. I normally wouldn't "stack" a filter on top of a CPL, so I wouldn't need the outer threads. On some lenses, the filter with the front threads would act like a tiny lens hood. The camera could "see" the ring.

Someone using the 12-35 should know if a standard type mounting ring CPL works ok with that lens. If they can stack 2 filters without the vignetting, then it should work.

You "probably" don't need the slim mount, but I don't have that lens  to compare.

Hi Bbuilder thank you for your very helpful info. Just like you mentioned i may not need a slim MT cpl because i've never seen the dark ring available.

Best regard

Mm

Mmwei
Like?

Thank you all to give me the very helpful info .

Mm

jcr4486
Regular MemberPosts: 149Gear list
Like?

For me the very best is B+W Käsemann Pol Filter MRC Xs-Pro Nano

Mmwei
Like?
In reply to jcr4486, Apr 1, 2013

For me the very best is B+W Käsemann Pol Filter MRC Xs-Pro Nano

Thank you Jcr i 'm going to the camera store to try it next week, good info.

Thanks
Mm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads