Best CPL filter !!

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Mmwei Regular Member • Posts: 151
Best CPL filter !!

Hi, Any pro could introduce a best CPL filter for my pana 12-35 lens. I just bought a heliopan slim ES 58 Cpl but it doesn't fit the cap on it, so i decided to return it so i don't know which one should i choose for.

Thanks
Mm

ernstbk Senior Member • Posts: 1,357
Re: Best CPL filter !!

Mmwei wrote:

Hi, Any pro could introduce a best CPL filter for my pana 12-35 lens. I just bought a heliopan slim ES 58 Cpl but it doesn't fit the cap on it, so i decided to return it so i don't know which one should i choose for.

Thanks
Mm

Please further define the meaning of "best".

ernstbk's gear list:ernstbk's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +25 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bizzarrini Regular Member • Posts: 497

Take a look at this test:

Lenstip CPL test

Bizzarrini's gear list:Bizzarrini's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +25 more
BBbuilder467 Senior Member • Posts: 1,415

If you got a slim filter to avoid vignetting, it won't have threads for the lens cap if that's what you mean.

If you don't think it will vignette at 12mm, just get a CPL with filter threads on it.

Normally, I would only add the CPL when I needed it, so I wouldn't care if it had the threads or not.

I'd be asking if a standard 58mm CPL would vignette on the 12-35. If they do, then you have to use the type you just sent back.

Travelshooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,976

try the folks at www.2filter.com   they have extensive knowledge in this area and have always provided great service.

I'm not affiliated, just a many times customer.

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +15 more
s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 10,233

BBbuilder467 wrote:

If you got a slim filter to avoid vignetting, it won't have threads for the lens cap if that's what you mean.

If you don't think it will vignette at 12mm, just get a CPL with filter threads on it.

Normally, I would only add the CPL when I needed it, so I wouldn't care if it had the threads or not.

I'd be asking if a standard 58mm CPL would vignette on the 12-35. If they do, then you have to use the type you just sent back.

Once lens has a AF surrounding motor, I would not be concerned about vignetting.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
Mmwei OP Regular Member • Posts: 151

Hi Bbuilder i don't really know what does vignette mean, i think that is some flare , am i right? Could you tell me more about it.

Thank you very much
Mm

BBbuilder467 Senior Member • Posts: 1,415

With some wide angle lenses, there can be a shadow or dark ring visible if the filter ring is too thick. That's the main reason for the slim mounting rings.

A CPL is thicker than a standard ND or UV filter, so the slim mounting ring is a way to avoid the vignetting.

If you can stack 2 filters without the shadow/vignetting, you should be ok with a standard type with threads on both front and rear.

It sounded like you got a slim filter with no front threads, so the lens cap won't grip it.

Most of the premium grade CPL's are the slim mounts to avoid the vignette/shadow/tunnel with a wide angle lens. I normally wouldn't "stack" a filter on top of a CPL, so I wouldn't need the outer threads. On some lenses, the filter with the front threads would act like a tiny lens hood. The camera could "see" the ring.

Someone using the 12-35 should know if a standard type mounting ring CPL works ok with that lens. If they can stack 2 filters without the vignetting, then it should work.

You "probably" don't need the slim mount, but I don't have that lens  to compare.

With some wide angle lenses, there can be a shadow or dark ring visible if the filter ring is too thick. That's the main reason for the slim mounting rings.

A CPL is thicker than a standard ND or UV filter, so the slim mounting ring is a way to avoid the vignetting.

If you can stack 2 filters without the shadow/vignetting, you should be ok with a standard type with threads on both front and rear.

It sounded like you got a slim filter with no front threads, so the lens cap won't grip it.

Most of the premium grade CPL's are the slim mounts to avoid the vignette/shadow/tunnel with a wide angle lens. I normally wouldn't "stack" a filter on top of a CPL, so I wouldn't need the outer threads. On some lenses, the filter with the front threads would act like a tiny lens hood. The camera could "see" the ring.

Someone using the 12-35 should know if a standard type mounting ring CPL works ok with that lens. If they can stack 2 filters without the vignetting, then it should work.

You "probably" don't need the slim mount, but I don't have that lens  to compare.

Hi Bbuilder thank you for your very helpful info. Just like you mentioned i may not need a slim MT cpl because i've never seen the dark ring available.

Best regard

Mm

Thank you all to give me the very helpful info .

Mm

jcr4486 Regular Member • Posts: 249

For me the very best is B+W Käsemann Pol Filter MRC Xs-Pro Nano

jcr4486's gear list:jcr4486's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more

For me the very best is B+W Käsemann Pol Filter MRC Xs-Pro Nano

Thank you Jcr i 'm going to the camera store to try it next week, good info.

Thanks
Mm

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads