My Riverwalk with an HX300

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,984
Like?
My Riverwalk with an HX300
Mar 30, 2013

I don't like to put model numbers in my subject lines, but this time it's necessary. It was the first bright, sunny day since I'd gotten an HX300. So I went out to give it as good a run at taking photos and videos, as I could. I spent six hours and shot a lot of scenes.

It seemed as though this camera was working nicely, as I was shooting. But to my regret, when I looked at them on a larger screen later, I wasn't able to get the results I wanted or anything close to them. This was especially true when the zoom was out near its long end. The photos I took at full zoom, do not look good, nor do the videos. The autofocus for video was slow at high zoom levels, even in bright light and would go in and out at times. In every way, the performance of this camera is very opposite the excellent service last year's HX200V has given me. I've gotten some passably-good photos of landscapes or closeup flowers with the HX300, but most shots have looked very poor.

I think that the limit for zoom lenses has been found and now it's been exceeded. The same could be said for the number of pixels on small sensors. I have restored confidence in my HX200V and recommend it as a substitute, to anyone who is thinking about the newer model. Anyone who can master the HX300 and produce good results from it, will have earned my respect and admiration.

To those who have sold their HX100V and HX200V cameras, to buy this model, all I can say is that I'm glad I've kept both of mine. I might even grab another HX200V, as the price comes down. If you think that a Canon SX50 is a good alternative, read the user reviews about its 50X lens on its Amazon webpage.

-- hide signature --
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 19,081Gear list
Like?
Hi Steve
In reply to Stephen McDonald, Mar 30, 2013

sounds you have made up your mind, can you pls post some samples of the shots you made at max zoom and maybe some comparison shots HX100/HX200/HX300 at 30 times zoom ?

i have been looking at many real world shots of the Canon SX50 and imho they are not bad, so i think 50x can be done and work, one thing that would contribute to that,  is that Sony lowering the MP's to 12 MP or something like that.

imho its not the 50x but the MP numbers or the JPEG engine.

regards Marti

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WaltKnapp
Forum ProPosts: 13,820
Like?
Re: Hi Steve
In reply to Marti58, Mar 30, 2013

Marti58 wrote:

sounds you have made up your mind, can you pls post some samples of the shots you made at max zoom and maybe some comparison shots HX100/HX200/HX300 at 30 times zoom ?

i have been looking at many real world shots of the Canon SX50 and imho they are not bad, so i think 50x can be done and work, one thing that would contribute to that,  is that Sony lowering the MP's to 12 MP or something like that.

I expect that folks are going to learn that they are not as steady at camera holding as they think they are.  What limit has been reached and passed is the hand holding limit. And cutting the pixel count won't help that much if any. It's a trivial difference in the MP count between the HX200v and the HX300.

I also expect that the JPEG engine is overcompressing the files, as it does on the HX200v.  But that can be worked around somewhat.

And a Zeiss lens is poorly designed? That will be a shock to a lot of folks who love Zeiss lenses.

-- hide signature --

I'm Only Responsible For What I Say, Not For What You Understand.
-Walt-

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,828Gear list
Like?
Re: My Riverwalk with an HX300

The Image quality of the SX50 is excellent for a pnhead megazoom, IMO best of the lot (and better than its predecessors) - It was the fussy handling and the slowness of the lens (I live in the Dull UK) which killed it for me, not the F3.5 at the wide end or the F6.? at the long end particularily but the incredibly steep curve by which it gets slower meaning you`re hanging off the IS all the time as it gets very slow very soon into the zoom range, OK the IS system is state of the art but it doesn`t stop motion ..

Regarding other options, the fast lens FZ200 is too noisy and too short for this kinda camera for me and Panny colours don`t cut it - May as well use a DSLR as use the Fuji XS1 or the old S100FS and the HS50 isn`t looking great from the samples I`ve seen (and that`s now bloated to DSLR size), the Nikons are too smudgy ..- the HX300 was looking promising from the wide shots but if its not delivering at the long end (full sizers would be nice to see) then what`s the point ?.....

I guess these things are all a compromise, you could make one superb camera out of all of them  - back to the ancient S6500 and DSLRs for me for now.

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Like?
Re: Hi Steve
In reply to WaltKnapp, Mar 30, 2013

WaltKnapp wrote:

Marti58 wrote:

I expect that folks are going to learn that they are not as steady at camera holding as they think they are.  What limit has been reached and passed is the hand holding limit. And cutting the pixel count won't help that much if any. It's a trivial difference in the MP count between the HX200v and the HX300.

why is it then that people make good shots at max zoom with the Canon, personaly i have the opinion that MP count does count, that would explain why competition is choosing lower MP counts.

after looking at many shots from many SZ cameras 12 MP is giving the best results regarding image quality.

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +27 more
Bill Borne
Forum ProPosts: 19,601Gear list
Like?

Stephen McDonald wrote:

I don't like to put model numbers in my subject lines, but this time it's necessary. It was the first bright, sunny day since I'd gotten an HX300. So I went out to give it as good a run at taking photos and videos, as I could. I spent six hours and shot a lot of scenes.

It seemed as though this camera was working nicely, as I was shooting. But to my regret, when I looked at them on a larger screen later, I wasn't able to get the results I wanted or anything close to them. This was especially true when the zoom was out near its long end. The photos I took at full zoom, do not look good, nor do the videos. The autofocus for video was slow at high zoom levels, even in bright light and would go in and out at times. In every way, the performance of this camera is very opposite the excellent service last year's HX200V has given me. I've gotten some passably-good photos of landscapes or closeup flowers with the HX300, but most shots have looked very poor.

I think that the limit for zoom lenses has been found and now it's been exceeded. The same could be said for the number of pixels on small sensors. I have restored confidence in my HX200V and recommend it as a substitute, to anyone who is thinking about the newer model. Anyone who can master the HX300 and produce good results from it, will have earned my respect and admiration.

To those who have sold their HX100V and HX200V cameras, to buy this model, all I can say is that I'm glad I've kept both of mine. I might even grab another HX200V, as the price comes down. If you think that a Canon SX50 is a good alternative, read the user reviews about its 50X lens on its Amazon webpage.

-- hide signature --

Just a very slight tweak makes a difference?

But why shoot a landscaspe at F:3.2 ?????

And as I said here....   http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51181002  which relates to walts post.

Tweaked

-- hide signature --
 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +1 more
Bill Borne
Like?

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Steve, You may be right on the cam??  Or maybe not??

IMO without having the cam I really don't think you can make a judgement call without using a TRUE TRIPOD. Then make the call. If cam performs well with a tripod, then....
If it does not...then <mission control> we have a problem

Did you ever think that focus problems in Video at such a high zoom  could be from camera movement?

Just some thoughts

-- hide signature --
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +1 more
Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Like?
In reply to Bill Borne, Mar 30, 2013

Bill Borne wrote:

Did you ever think that focus problems in Video at such a high zoom  could be from camera movement?

Sony claims this: quote from Sony site

*Say goodbye to blur.

Don't let a not-so-steady hand prevent you from capturing the moment. Optical SteadyShot image stabilization compensates for camera shake by countering camera movements in both horizontal and vertical directions. Plus, Active 3-Way stabilization keeps things steadier yet with digital rolling control that offsets clockwise and counterclockwise rotations, resulting in smoother videos even while zoomed in close. The result? Sharp, blur-free photos and footage in otherwise unsteady situations, like shooting video while walking.*

so i guess we expect something.

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Dodge_Rock
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128
Like?

Marti58 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

*Say goodbye to blur.

Don't let a not-so-steady hand prevent you from capturing the moment. Optical SteadyShot image stabilization compensates for camera shake by countering camera movements in both horizontal and vertical directions. Plus, Active 3-Way stabilization keeps things steadier yet with digital rolling control that offsets clockwise and counterclockwise rotations, resulting in smoother videos even while zoomed in close. The result? Sharp, blur-free photos and footage in otherwise unsteady situations, like shooting video while walking.*

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Hand-held stablization is pretty good.  Maybe slightly improved over the HX200, but I need to test them side-by-side to determine for sure.

Here's a vid shot while driving. It's on youtube, so they lowered the quality considerably, but that's not important.  Look at the stability of the movie hand-held while driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_ZmYdhFRpg

threed123
Contributing MemberPosts: 942
Like?

I'm beginning to share Steve's impression with the HX300, though I have no earlier versions to compare to. My moon shots (see other thread) came out better than expected, though, but took some fiddling. Unfortunately, the end of winter in Michigan doesn't leave much picture interest outside this time of year, but I am traveling to a pond today--maybe I'll get a few bird shots this time.

Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Like?
In reply to Dodge_Rock, Mar 30, 2013

Dodge_Rock wrote:

Marti58 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

*Say goodbye to blur.

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Hand-held stablization is pretty good.  Maybe slightly improved over the HX200, but I need to test them side-by-side to determine for sure.

Here's a vid shot while driving. It's on youtube, so they lowered the quality considerably, but that's not important.  Look at the stability of the movie hand-held while driving.

agreed that looks ok to me but we dont know about zoom used, using max zoom might be a different story for stills and vids.

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Stephen McDonald
Like?
In reply to Bill Borne, Mar 30, 2013

Bill Borne wrote:

IMO without having the cam I really don't think you can make a judgement call without using a TRUE TRIPOD. Then make the call. If cam performs well with a tripod, then....

Just some thoughts

Bill, the HX300 video image stabilizer works very well and quells movement even better than the one in the HX200V. Some of the videos I shot with the HX300 in good light were very steady and motion wasn't causing the autofocus to waiver. When I put a 1.7X telextender on the HX200V, I don't get the same loss of quality and also focusing deficiencies in lower light levels. Even when the focus of the HX300 was steady at full zoom, the video looked displeasing and low in resolution.

And it isn't just a matter of using a high zoom, as many of my photos at close range, in good light, were not even passably good. As hard as I tried to get a good shot of a bunch of daffodils, all of the shots were duds. Last week, I took one of the same bunch with the HX200V and it came out nicely. The HX300 tends to over-expose in sunlight even more than previous models and I often had to lower the EV three clicks. Even then, it seemed to need something I couldn't arrange for the camera to do.

Here's one from yesterday at 35X that looks better than most of them, although not very well framed. I'm not eager to put my full-zoom photos from this camera up here and have my name attached to them. I think that other people who have gotten this model, will find out soon enough the effects of this lens at high zoom and also the over-packed sensor and perhaps other factors.

It would be interesting, if the price of the HX200V went up, after a few more months has passed. What makes me wonder, is what they might do with this line of cameras next year? Could it get any worse? Of course. My earlier suggestion about buying another HX200V as a spare, is sounding better to me every day I continue to use the new model. But if you want to see results that are even worse in a new 50X camera, take a look at the Fuji Forum and see what they're putting up from the HS50.

-- hide signature --
Dodge_Rock
Like?

Marti58 wrote:

Dodge_Rock wrote:

Marti58 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

*Say goodbye to blur.

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

agreed that looks ok to me but we dont know about zoom used, using max zoom might be a different story for stills and vids.

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Here's a hand-held max zoom.  Stabilization is ok in good light.  Twilight is another story at 50x - difficult.  Clear zoom on, digital zoom off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soDx0ztbjCw

Dodge_Rock
Like?

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Just some thoughts

Bill, the HX300 video image stabilizer works very well and quells movement even better than the one in the HX200V. Some of the videos I shot with the HX300 in good light were very steady and motion wasn't causing the autofocus to waiver. When I put a 1.7X telextender on the HX200V, I don't get the same loss of quality and also focusing deficiencies in lower light levels. Even when the focus of the HX300 was steady at full zoom, the video looked displeasing and low in resolution.

And it isn't just a matter of using a high zoom, as many of my photos at close range, in good light, were not even passably good. As hard as I tried to get a good shot of a bunch of daffodils, all of the shots were duds. Last week, I took one of the same bunch with the HX200V and it came out nicely. The HX300 tends to over-expose in sunlight even more than previous models and I often had to lower the EV three clicks. Even then, it seemed to need something I couldn't arrange for the camera to do.

Here's one from yesterday at 35X that looks better than most of them, although not very well framed. I'm not eager to put my full-zoom photos from this camera up here and have my name attached to them. I think that other people who have gotten this model, will find out soon enough the effects of this lens at high zoom and also the over-packed sensor and perhaps other factors. It would be interesting, if the price of the HX200V went up, after a few more months has passed. What makes me wonder, is what they might do with this line of cameras next year? Could it get any worse? Of course.

-- hide signature --

Steve,

Enjoying your posts.  Keep 'em coming.  I don't mind sharing the good, bad & ugly.  That's what DPR is all about.  All skill levels, all experiences.  I'd like to see the worst and the best. Hope more folks share.

threed123
Contributing MemberPosts: 942
Like?

Please--some side-by-side shots of the HX200 vs. the HX300 would be most helpful. So far I have nothing to compare your thoughts to. If you take pics using the same zoom level for both cameras, then we could compare, but comparing the HX200 at one level to the HX300 at a higher level is apples and oranges to me.

Stephen McDonald
Like?
In reply to threed123, Mar 30, 2013

threed123 wrote:

Please--some side-by-side shots of the HX200 vs. the HX300 would be most helpful. So far I have nothing to compare your thoughts to. If you take pics using the same zoom level for both cameras, then we could compare, but comparing the HX200 at one level to the HX300 at a higher level is apples and oranges to me.

My HX300 has been cleaned and re-packed, ready for return. You and others can use this camera and if the results are good or bad, you'll know it, without any comparisons necessary. I will enjoy seeing how well others can do with it.

-- hide signature --
KCHAWK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,532Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the comments Steve.  I can't imagine I would ever need the 50x zoom anyway.  I will be happy to have my HX200 and might even master it!

-- hide signature --

Larry
Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape

KCHAWK's gear list:KCHAWK's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25
fromo1946
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?

I'm sorry to hear that this system isn't what it's been made out to be; if it's that unmanageable, maybe Sony needs to hear it from this forum. I've tried a few shots with mine and it's not as great as my HX200 but, I'll keep at it. I'm still intriged at the long shots, hopefully getting the clean shot. I like my close-ups of floral and pet shots, I can get those same with my HX200.

I'm past my welcome to return the camera grace period. So, I guess I'll weather out the aquisition of my purchase.

You've made your decision based on your research and it seems like your findings are conclusive. Thanks for the help in doing the leg work for us, stay the course.

Bill Borne
Like?
In reply to Dodge_Rock, Mar 30, 2013

Dodge_Rock wrote:

Marti58 wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

*Say goodbye to blur.

-- hide signature --

Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

It was just a suggestion. Maybe the cam has great image stabilization? Now that video shows incredible stabilization!!!

-- hide signature --
Bill Borne
Like?
Re: True, yest to be seen! nt
-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads