Got my X100S Today....

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
David V
Contributing MemberPosts: 980Gear list
Like?
Got my X100S Today....
Mar 30, 2013

So my only experience with the X Series cameras came by the way of owning an X-E1 since last November and shooting the X-Pro 1 on a number of occasions.  I have not spent any real quality time with an X100.

So my X100S arrived today, and I can tell you this.  It is a very different animal than it's interchangeable lens brethren.  I am still playing around right now as the battery was only charged an hour or so ago.  I am getting nice sharp shots, but I need to read the manual.  There are quite a few differences between this and the X-E1 which make the shooting experience different.

So far I like the camera and the output is what you would expect from the X Series, but I need to spend some time with it.  Has anyone noticed that the lower left side of their rear LCD is a bit brighter than the rest of the screen due to the back lighting?  Less noticeable when you're shooting with the camera than when you first turn it on.

One thing for sure, is that I like the EVF of the X-E1 better than the X100S, especially for reviewing the images after the shot. It seems sharper than that of the X100S.  Perhaps it's because the one on the X100S is a hybrid.

BTW, Does anyone know if the Fuji 49mm filter ring casts a shadow with the built in flash on the X100(s)?  I'm sure the hood will, but I was wondering if the ring itself does, especially if you add a UV filter.  Just thought I'd ask before I bought one.

I will report back and post some images as I get more acquainted with my new toy!

DV

David V's gear list:David V's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +12 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Philippe R
Contributing MemberPosts: 849Gear list
Like?
Re: Got my X100S Today....
In reply to David V, Mar 30, 2013

David V wrote:

I will report back and post some images as I get more acquainted with my new toy!

DV

Please do

Enjoy !!!!!!!

-- hide signature --

Phil (Nice, FR)
www.pbase.com/webman06
www.eosdslr.com

Philippe R's gear list:Philippe R's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS-1D X +45 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Oger
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

The EVF on the X100s is supposedly better because it has better resolution.

Did you adjust it for your eyesight? (the little plastic wheel next to it)

David V
Like?
In reply to Oger, Mar 30, 2013

Oger wrote:

The EVF on the X100s is supposedly better because it has better resolution.

Did you adjust it for your eyesight? (the little plastic wheel next to it)

Yes....I adjusted it.  Don't get me wrong, it looks good, and better than that of the X-Pro 1 or the X100, but it's not as bright and sharp as the EVF on the X-E1, perhaps because it's a hybrid.  It's fine, but just an observation.

The other thing I noticed, is that the filter ring for the Fuji hood does block some of the flash on the bottom left of the image.  Obviously, the hood blocks a whole lot more, but I am a bit disappointed that the filter ring itself blocks some of the flash.  I use a lot of fill flash in daylight shots, especially of people, and not only do I have to remove the hood (expected) but I also have to remove the filter ring (not expected) unless I mount my EF-20 flash.

Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +12 more
DavesBlend
New MemberPosts: 16Gear list
Like?

I've noticed the same brightness/wash in the lower left quadrant of the LCD.

DavesBlend's gear list:DavesBlend's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
David V
Like?
In reply to DavesBlend, Mar 30, 2013

DavesBlend wrote:

I've noticed the same brightness/wash in the lower left quadrant of the LCD.

Yes....If you set the LCD brightness to -2, it just about disappears and the screen looks normal.  Factory brightness is just too high I guess.

steddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 346
Like?

I'm not sure about the brightness, but I found the speed on the X100s EVF much better.  No lag like I was getting on the X-E1, which must be down to the faster processor.

-- hide signature --
David V
Like?
In reply to steddyman, Mar 30, 2013

steddyman wrote:

I'm not sure about the brightness, but I found the speed on the X100s EVF much better.  No lag like I was getting on the X-E1, which must be down to the faster processor.

-- hide signature --

Agreed Steddy.  The EVF performance is much improved, but I still like the brightness and sharpness of the non-hybrid type better on my X-E1 for chimping the photos after the shot.

steddyman
Regular MemberPosts: 346
Like?

Agreed Steddy.  The EVF performance is much improved, but I still like the brightness and sharpness of the non-hybrid type better on my X-E1 for chimping the photos after the shot.

Something I found out yesterday when shooting in the sun was the brightness of the EVF is affected by the light entering the viewfinder.  Perhaps if you review in a darker environment it will be brighter.

I usually always review on the screen.  I set it to 3 seconds review and check it after each shot.  I couldn't ever give up the OVF in favor of the EVF.

-- hide signature --
eastvillager
Contributing MemberPosts: 954Gear list
Like?

David V wrote:

So my only experience with the X Series cameras came by the way of owning an X-E1 since last November and shooting the X-Pro 1 on a number of occasions.  I have not spent any real quality time with an X100.

So my X100S arrived today, and I can tell you this.  It is a very different animal than it's interchangeable lens brethren.  I am still playing around right now as the battery was only charged an hour or so ago.  I am getting nice sharp shots, but I need to read the manual.  There are quite a few differences between this and the X-E1 which make the shooting experience different.

So far I like the camera and the output is what you would expect from the X Series, but I need to spend some time with it.  Has anyone noticed that the lower left side of their rear LCD is a bit brighter than the rest of the screen due to the back lighting?  Less noticeable when you're shooting with the camera than when you first turn it on.

One thing for sure, is that I like the EVF of the X-E1 better than the X100S, especially for reviewing the images after the shot. It seems sharper than that of the X100S.  Perhaps it's because the one on the X100S is a hybrid.

BTW, Does anyone know if the Fuji 49mm filter ring casts a shadow with the built in flash on the X100(s)?  I'm sure the hood will, but I was wondering if the ring itself does, especially if you add a UV filter.  Just thought I'd ask before I bought one.

DV

Where did you get it from?

eastvillager's gear list:eastvillager's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D700 +6 more
BrianBrianBrian
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to steddyman, Mar 30, 2013

steddyman wrote:

Something I found out yesterday when shooting in the sun was the brightness of the EVF is affected by the light entering the viewfinder.

That is potentially great news! Does that mean that, in OVF mode, if you add ND filters to the lens, the framelines will still be visible? On my X-Pro1, the brightness of the framelines seems to be controlled by the light entering through the lens (not the viewfinder), which means that the framelines in the OVF are very dim when ND filters are used.

seany
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
-- hide signature --

seany

I've also noticed the brightness of the lower left part of the LCD,lowering the brightness settings helps but it is still noticeable.

David V
Like?
In reply to eastvillager, Mar 31, 2013

eastvillager wrote:

David V wrote:

DV

Where did you get it from?

Berger Brothers.

a l b e r t
Senior MemberPosts: 1,284Gear list
Like?
In reply to David V, Mar 31, 2013

X-E1 has OLED, where as X100s has LCD in the EVF.  OLED has greater contrast.

a l b e r t's gear list:a l b e r t's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon D3S Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
David V
Like?
In reply to a l b e r t, Mar 31, 2013

a l b e r t wrote:

X-E1 has OLED, where as X100s has LCD in the EVF.  OLED has greater contrast.

Thanks for the info Albert.  I'm sure that's what the difference is.

I took it out for a small test drive yesterday, and it is definitely a great camera in it's own right.  I only had limited time for a few snaps, but I will be taking it to the Auto Show today in NYC where I plan on giving it a workout.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads