modification of CarrySpeed strap (likely also works for Black Rapid)

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
Conway Yee
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?
modification of CarrySpeed strap (likely also works for Black Rapid)
Mar 30, 2013

I purchased the CarrySpeed strap (instead of the Black Rapid although I can't think of a reason why the solution below wouldn't work with a Black Rapid).

I have long since standardized on Arca-Swiss plates which makes the standard camera screw not available to me.

After a websearch, I chose to connect the CarrySpeed strap to a 1" quick release plate which in turn was attached to a Kirks Acra-Swiss plate.  I absolutely HATED this solution.  The combination of the Acra-Swiss plate on the camera followed by a Acra-Swiss quick release followed by the CarrySpeed plate was ridiculously thick and made putting the camera on a flat surface awkward.

This morning, I figured out a solution that fixed my concerns.  There is a slot for a camera wriststrap on the side of the camera Arca-Swiss plate. Further, the CarrySpeed strap uses a standard locking carabiner to connect to its plate.

I cut a short length of 1" nylon strap about 6" in length.  At each end, I placed a grommet.  The 2nd grommet needs to be placed AFTER the strap is placed into the Acra-Swiss camera plate.  The strength of the grommet and nylon strap is more than sufficient for any reasonable camera system.

I got rid of CarrySpeed plate and attached the carabiner to the two grommets. Voila!  The extra thickness under the camera is gone.  I can now attach the camera directly to a tripod without detaching anything since the 1" nylon strap doesn't get in the way.

Thanks.

Conway Yee

Enthusiast Photographer
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
Re: modification of CarrySpeed strap (likely also works for Black Rapid)
In reply to Conway Yee, Mar 30, 2013

Conway - it sounds like you're describing a solution similar to mine for the Black Rapid Strap, but honestly what you're describing is less of an issue with Black Rapid because it doesn't have the big plate the CarrySpeed does.

I loved my L-bracket, but the nub of the Black Rapid connector ruined it, and I didn't want to screw/unscrew all the time.  I wound up using a 1" Kirk A/S clamp and screwing the BR nub into that (with a little Loctite for good measure).  I added a inexpensive safety tether in the same hole I think you're using for your setup, just in case I get a case of the fumbles or something gave way on the strap.

Here are some photos of what it looks like:

Sorry for the fuzzy phone pictures.

I've got a full writeup on my blog:

http://enthusiastphotographer.com/2011/12/20/black-rapid-arca-solution/

I've taken this rig all over the world, and I find it extremely convenient and simple, and it allows the strap and my L-bracket/tripod setup to co-exist really well.  I actually think I'd like this setup better if I just used the BR strap (though I could just use a regular A/S plate).

I'd be interested in seeing photos of your setup!

Enthusiast Photographer's gear list:Enthusiast Photographer's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Conway Yee
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?
In reply to Enthusiast Photographer, Mar 30, 2013

CarrySpeed modification

The CarryStrap is on the bottom of the photograph.  The 1" nylon strap with attached grommets is on the bottom left of the camera.  A piece of paracord is a safety strap attached to the CarryStrap and the triangular slip ring on the camera using two bowlines.

I can attach the Acra-Swiss plate to a tripod without detaching a thing.

There is a bit of Loctite on the locking carabiner.  There is no Loctite on the Acra-Swiss plate.

Also attached to the same triangular slip ring is my GPS.  I prefer to keep the GPS off the flash.

Conway Yee

Enthusiast Photographer
Like?
In reply to Conway Yee, Mar 30, 2013

Cool setup Conway!  I like having the ability to get the camera off the strap quickly, but that looks nice and light.  Probably smooth, too...

Since I apparently can't edit my post, what I meant to say about my setup was that I like how it works just as a strap, even if I wasn't using a tripod.  It makes it so much faster to get in and out of the strap, and I don't have that nub sticking out of the bottom of my camera all the time (or I don't have in unscrew it)

Cheers!

Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
Enthusiast Photographer
Like?
In reply to Enthusiast Photographer, Apr 11, 2013

I just made a video of the setup, which might be a little more useful than stills for interested folks...

http://vimeo.com/entusiastphotographer/black-rapid-arca-solution

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads