First Week w/ 6D....from 5D Mk II

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
PeterY
Senior MemberPosts: 1,305Gear list
Like?
First Week w/ 6D....from 5D Mk II
Mar 30, 2013

So I've had the 6D for a week now. I have upgraded from the 5D MK II. I gotta say I like the 6D, I REALLY like it.  For those of you on the fence between the 5D M2 and the 6D, I have to say it definitely is an improvement.

You probably won't notice too much difference in good light but the Dynamic Range improvement alone in the 6D over the 5DM2 for me is worth its weight in GOLD. It is a HUGE improvement. This means much less in post for me. The high ISO performance is great.

My only beef is the 1/180 sec flash sync from the 5DM2's 1/200 sec. Hey I even got over having to buy new SD cards as the prices on them are far better then CF cards.

So far to date, going from the 5DM2 to the 6D is the only upgrade where I am happy right off the bat. Going from PS to the digital rebel took some time to get used to as I was expecting  HUGE improvements. Going from 1.6 crop to FF again took a while to get used to. Took a while to love my 5DM2.

I can't wait to test this baby with some fast primes. These samples are with the 17-40L.

PeterY's gear list:PeterY's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Carl Crumley
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?
Re: First Week w/ 6D....from 5D Mk II
In reply to PeterY, Mar 30, 2013

EXIF shows these to be single images, not HDR, right? If so, I really like the dynamic range it demonstrates with the amount of detail on the scene out the windows and door balanced with the indoor views. I'm impressed.

I've had my 6D about a week now and haven't really had a chance to give it a workout but I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do. I'm moving up from a 5D (original) so it's a quantum leap forward for me.

Carl (Pittsford, New York)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PeterY
Like?
Here are the samples....why won't this embed photos??
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
PeterY
Like?
In reply to Carl Crumley, Mar 30, 2013

Carl Crumley wrote:

EXIF shows these to be single images, not HDR, right? If so, I really like the dynamic range it demonstrates with the amount of detail on the scene out the windows and door balanced with the indoor views. I'm impressed.

I've had my 6D about a week now and haven't really had a chance to give it a workout but I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do. I'm moving up from a 5D (original) so it's a quantum leap forward for me.

Right no HDR

Adam
Regular MemberPosts: 137
Like?
Re: Here are the samples....why won't this embed photos??

Wow, those look really, really good. I take real estate photos as well, and am looking to upgrade my dying 20D. I was pretty much set on laying out the cash for a 5d Mark iii until I saw those... Just curious, what are you using for lighting on those?

24Peter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,991
Like?

PeterY wrote:

Carl Crumley wrote:

Right no HDR

I'm glad you're happy with your 6D (it looks like there's a lot to like about it) but I'm not aware of anyone reporting a significant difference in dynamic range between the 6D and 5DII. In fact, the dpreview review of the 6D shows less DR than the 5DII or III - see http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-6d/16

As for your photos, they're very nice, but its pretty clear you were lighting the interiors with added light/ flash. So I'm not sure how they're examples of the camera's dynamic range abilities.

PeterY
Like?
In reply to 24Peter, Mar 30, 2013

I'm glad you're happy with your 6D (it looks like there's a lot to like about it) but I'm not aware of anyone reporting a significant difference in dynamic range between the 6D and 5DII. In fact, the dpreview review of the 6D shows less DR than the 5DII or III - see http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-6d/16

As for your photos, they're very nice, but its pretty clear you were lighting the interiors with added light/ flash. So I'm not sure how they're examples of the camera's dynamic range abilities.

Well, DR is the very first thing I noticed. I am not doubting DPR's words but for the past 3 years with my 5DM2, I went through 200-300 images per day and I know exactly how the camera behaves. So along come photos wherer the outside window details don't need to be blended back to show details, then I would instantly notice. These were shot all in RAW then converted. Maybe that's where the difference is? DPR's tests were with JPG's no?

Just because the interior was lit with flash doesn't mean there are no showy areas in a room. All I know is that areas where the 5DM2 would blow out, the 6D is not. And the areas where the 5DM2 would severely underexpose, the 6D would not.

PeterY
Like?
In reply to Adam, Mar 30, 2013

Adam wrote:

Wow, those look really, really good. I take real estate photos as well, and am looking to upgrade my dying 20D. I was pretty much set on laying out the cash for a 5d Mark iii until I saw those... Just curious, what are you using for lighting on those?

The 5D Mk3 I think is an overkill for RE photos. I actually needed a new body about the time the 5DM3 came out but I just couldn't jusify paying  that kind of money. So I picked up a 7D + 10-22 as back up to my 5DM2 and I was just going to replace the shutter on it when it went.

I bitched and complained that Canon should make a stripped down FF instead of this monster Mk3 geared more towards videographers (well not really but you know what I mean). Then along comes the 6D....

I am currently using 2 600 EX RTs and a 580 EX.

Rexgig0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,505Gear list
Like?

I understand the "monster" part. While I really like the tougher exterior, and the 7D-like ergonomics of the 5D3, it has so much that I simply do not need when shooting evidentiary photography. My wider-angle shots at crime scenes are equivalent to landscape and real estate images, and the rest are mostly "portrait" and macro. It is frustrating, to me, that I must pay over a thousand more US dollars to get better ergonomics, familiar controls, and perhaps a bit better weather-sealing. I was handling a 6D yesterday, a fresh look after learning it focuses lower light than any other present Canons. Hmm...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and images.

Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Nikon D700 +24 more
Adam
Regular MemberPosts: 137
Like?

Thanks for the info. You got me thinking, I might go with the 6D and get another 600EX-RT (I had budgeted for one) and the transmitter instead...

Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,787Gear list
Like?

PeterY wrote:

Just because the interior was lit with flash doesn't mean there are no showy areas in a room. All I know is that areas where the 5DM2 would blow out, the 6D is not.

This depends on how you expose, and has nothing to do with the DR of the camera. And the 6D does meter and expose differently.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Samsung Galaxy S III
PeterY
Like?
In reply to Just another Canon shooter, Mar 30, 2013

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

PeterY wrote:

Just because the interior was lit with flash doesn't mean there are no showy areas in a room. All I know is that areas where the 5DM2 would blow out, the 6D is not.

This depends on how you expose, and has nothing to do with the DR of the camera. And the 6D does meter and expose differently.

You are not entirely wrong, yes they most certainly do meter and expose differently. But all I know is that I would have had a LOT of problems taking these in a single shot with the 5D M2:

http://www.pixelsalive.com/6D4.jpg

http://www.pixelsalive.com/6D5.jpg

http://www.pixelsalive.com/6D6.jpg

http://www.pixelsalive.com/6D7.jpg

Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,742
Like?

PeterY wrote:

So I've had the 6D for a week now. I have upgraded from the 5D MK II. I gotta say I like the 6D, I REALLY like it.  For those of you on the fence between the 5D M2 and the 6D, I have to say it definitely is an improvement.

You probably won't notice too much difference in good light but the Dynamic Range improvement alone in the 6D over the 5DM2 for me is worth its weight in GOLD. It is a HUGE improvement. This means much less in post for me. The high ISO performance is great.

really? DR and shadow performance is one of the reason I got rid of the 5D2 and from playing with co-worker's 6D (also a current 5D2 owner)  we both saw not much difference at all in the DR department.

aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,499Gear list
Like?

24Peter wrote:

PeterY wrote:

Carl Crumley wrote:

Right no HDR

According to DXO, 6D DR is marginally better than 5DII, 12.1 vs 11.9. It definitely not worse from my own experience. And 6D's shadows are much cleaner.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

JLim22
Regular MemberPosts: 294Gear list
Like?

Using three flashes to light up the room and saying that it has great dynamic range is a bit misleading.

I really like my 6D as well, but I wouldn't say dynamic range is one of its strengths.

Thanks for sharing your pics. Lighting in the room is nice.

JLim22's gear list:JLim22's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye +2 more
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,144Gear list
Like?

Good to here you are enjoying it.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
Powerdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?

According to DxO mark, the 6D has more DR than the 5dmk2 and 5dmk3.

From memory

6D : 12,1

5Dmk3 : 11,7

5Dmk2 : 11,9

5D: 11,1

1Dx : 11,8

The 6D is also less prone to banding. (test from Thierry Legault).

-- hide signature --

It's all about photography

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +27 more
Powerdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dan_168, Mar 30, 2013

The improvement in the DR departement, is 0.2 ev

BTW the improvement is much better in the banding departement

-- hide signature --

It's all about photography

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +27 more
riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,163Gear list
Like?

PeterY wrote:

Just another Canon shooter wrote:

PeterY wrote:

You are not entirely wrong, yes they most certainly do meter and expose differently. But all I know is that I would have had a LOT of problems taking these in a single shot with the 5D M2:

http://www.pixelsalive.com/6D4.jpg

http://www.pixelsalive.com/6D5.jpg

http://www.pixelsalive.com/6D6.jpg

http://www.pixelsalive.com/6D7.jpg

There are some who are challenging your claim that the improvements you are observing from the 6D over the 5DII are not due to dynamic range. You have speculated that there must be something different between the RAW image and the JPEG that DxO used to determine dynamic range.  Assuming your shooting techniques haven't changed,  and that the improvements you observe are not due to DR improvements, what indeed has changed between the 5DII and 6D? Is it simply metering differences between the two? If that was the case, apparently you needed to have operated the 5DII differently to have seen the very same  improvements. Somehow I doubt that. Do you notice the improvement even without flash? Perhaps there is a difference with how the 6D communicates with the flash units?

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
24Peter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,991
Like?
In reply to Powerdoc, Mar 30, 2013

Powerdoc wrote:

The 6D is also less prone to banding. (test from Thierry Legault).

Let me say this (reduced banding) is welcome and frankly about time. But I don't believe it is a function of improved DR.

And just to be clear, I'm not bashing the OP. His interior apartment photos are very nice. I'm just not sure why he feels he couldn't capture similar images with the 5DII. Perhaps there are metering differences but that still wouldn't account for not being able to use a 5DII for these images.

DR is a way to measure/discuss a sensor's ability [or lack thereof] to capture detail in both the extreme highlights and shadows of an image. I get that window light in an interior RE photo is (and always has been) a challenge. But I would submit it's the OP's skill at lighting interiors that makes these photos good - not the 6D's DR.

In terms of what the reviews are saying, DxO has the 6D with a slight edge in DR over the 5DII; dpreview has the 6D at slightly less. Even if Dx0 is right, it's not enough of a difference to say the 6D is making photos the 5DII couldn't.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads