Epson 3880 borderless vs w/border printing

Started Mar 30, 2013 | Discussions
Radu Tenenbaum
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849Gear list
Like?
Epson 3880 borderless vs w/border printing
Mar 30, 2013

I'm a 3880 newbie.  I have one on its way and, although I am familiar with and have used the search feature I'll be posting newbie type questions as I can't find the concise answers I seek.

How much ink is wasted on overspray when printing borderless?

Where does that ink go?  Does it just accumulate in sponges and cause a mess over time?

Generally, should I avoid borderless printing if possible?  I have a Rotatrim, so trimming is doable, but still some hassle.

What is the minimum border to prevent the overspray?

A more general question: Can someone point me to a link for a detailed overview of how an inkjet handles ink in all phases of the process that addresses the questions above as well as nozzle checks, cleaning cycles, maintenance cartridge and so on.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Radu
www.raduray.com

Radu Tenenbaum's gear list:Radu Tenenbaum's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +17 more
Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,308
Like?
Re: Epson 3880 borderless vs w/border printing
In reply to Radu Tenenbaum, Mar 30, 2013

Radu Tenenbaum wrote:

I'm a 3880 newbie.  I have one on its way and, although I am familiar with and have used the search feature I'll be posting newbie type questions as I can't find the concise answers I seek.

How much ink is wasted on overspray when printing borderless?

That dpends on the amount of extension you set within the driver.

Where does that ink go?  Does it just accumulate in sponges and cause a mess over time?

Yes, But we are talking about fractions of a millilitre with a printer of a limited lifespan.

Generally, should I avoid borderless printing if possible?

I wouldn't want to do it all the time. Why, in particular, would you want to print borderless anyhow? What particular mounting technique do you have that would need borderless printing?

I have a Rotatrim, so trimming is doable, but still some hassle.

What is the minimum border to prevent the overspray?

The minimum border is around 3 mm. Actually 2.8 mm top and left, 3.2 mm right and bottom.

A more general question: Can someone point me to a link for a detailed overview of how an inkjet handles ink in all phases of the process that addresses the questions above as well as nozzle checks, cleaning cycles, maintenance cartridge and so on.

Good luck on that one.

Brian A

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Radu Tenenbaum
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Mar 30, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

I wouldn't want to do it all the time. Why, in particular, would you want to print borderless anyhow? What particular mounting technique do you have that would need borderless printin

Brian A

You're right.  Off the top of my head, the only time I would print borderless is 4x6's.

-- hide signature --

Radu
www.raduray.com

Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +17 more
Steve Dell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,119
Like?

Radu Tenenbaum wrote:

You're right.  Off the top of my head, the only time I would print borderless is 4x6's.

-- hide signature --

Radu
www.raduray.com

That's the only time I print borderless too.

BTW, you'll love this printer. It's great printing from either Photoshop or Lightroom. (When I print from Photoshop, with my calibrated system and using profiles, images come out spot on. When I print from Lightroom, I will brighten by 10 units in the LR printer dialog box.)

-- hide signature --

Steve Dell
Tucson AZ
www.stevedellphotography.com

Radu Tenenbaum
Like?
In reply to Steve Dell, Mar 30, 2013

Steve Dell wrote:

BTW, you'll love this printer. It's great printing from either Photoshop or Lightroom. (When I print from Photoshop, with my calibrated system and using profiles, images come out spot on. When I print from Lightroom, I will brighten by 10 units in the LR printer dialog box.)

-- hide signature --

Steve Dell
Tucson AZ

Steve, is that for LR 4 that supports soft proofing?

I received the printer and just set it up.  There were some hiccups as the CD did not support Mountain Lion and the Epson website description on how to install on ML was incomplete, but I figured it out.

Now it's time to play.

-- hide signature --

Radu
www.raduray.com

Ender78
Regular MemberPosts: 476
Like?

I got mine today as well.  My first colour printer  Sad since I've been shooting for 8 years now.

JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 33,017
Like?
In reply to Steve Dell, Apr 1, 2013

Steve Dell wrote:

Radu Tenenbaum wrote:

-- hide signature --

Radu
www.raduray.com

That's the only time I print borderless too.

-- hide signature --

Steve Dell
Tucson AZ

My printing history is all Epson...2200, then 4800 and now 7890 I have never ever printed borderless. I must admit too that the thought of squirting ink over the top and bottom and the sides of the paper just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. if you look at where the edges are there is black plastic behind. Surely this just coats up with old ink, it must do horrific things to your printer and the subsequent sheets that come through doesn't it? I guess if i wanted to print a 24" print with it's other dimension longer than that i would have to try borderless on my 7890 but i will thinks twice before doing so.

JayMitch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,449
Like?
In reply to JulesJ, Apr 4, 2013

Any technical concerns with overspray aside I personally never print borderless because of the aesthetic.  I much prefer having a border around the image, usually an inch on 13x19 and 1.5” on 17x22.  It helps contain the image.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads